The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

2018/19 Training Camp & Preseason

3 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Thank you, OBXer. For me, it’s weird rule though - you want to evaluate a player risking to loose him to waivers?

Anyway, even if Wallmark stays, what to do with McKegg? 

Caniac514, I'll just add one caveat to what OBXer has stated, and OBXer or anyone else please correct me if this is incorrect, but the one condition stopping another team from indiscriminately picking up a player is the condition that the player must be placed on their NHL roster and cannot be sent down to the AHL. Also, and I'm not quite so sure about this, but once a player has "cleared waivers", he does not have to do so again, I presume that year? 

9 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Caniac514, I'll just add one caveat to what OBXer has stated, and OBXer or anyone else please correct me if this is incorrect, but the one condition stopping another team from indiscriminately picking up a player is the condition that the player must be placed on their NHL roster and cannot be sent down to the AHL. Also, and I'm not quite so sure about this, but once a player has "cleared waivers", he does not have to do so again, I presume that year? 

Keeping up with all the waiver  rules makes my head hurt.

If no team places a claim, the player can be sent to a minor league affiliate. When a player clears waivers and is sent down and then is called up again, he does not have to clear waivers to be sent down again unless he has played ten games or has been "up" for 30 days.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Also of note - PDG, Zykov, Wallmark and McKegg all have to pass through waivers to be assigned to Charlotte.

I do think McKegg was a strategic acquisition, i.e., he brings something PDG doesn't, face-off ability. I could see him and Wallmark together on the fourth to share that job. 

On 9/20/2018 at 3:10 PM, remkin said:

Maelenen's size and speed are intriguing, but so far he has not shown displacement skills (knocking someone off the roster).

Well, he's had all of 15 minutes on North American ice. I still believe he is a dark horse who, if he shows chemistry with Aho and/or TT, could make the club.

The waiver issue is certainly real, but so is the fact that at some point we're going to have to deal some guys. When you look at this and next year's graduating classes, somebody (possibly several somebodies) who shouldn't be stuck in the A are going to be. McKeown springs to mind. He "made the team" out of camp two years ago, has been dominant in the A, and has leadership chops. The only reason to keep him down at this point is to mentor Bean, IMO--and because an all-star d-man who shall remain nameless is blocking his ascendance. Carrick also looks very solid. Among forwards the list is much longer.

PDG's value peaked when he tested the RFA market last summer, and he got nothing. I'm really surprised we haven't moved him already, but for the possibility that nobody wants him. Waiving (and possibly losing) him is a low-cost option (he makes the minimum) that would open a slot for an up-and-comer.

Which brings me back to that old topic of who plays on the fourth. I have to wonder if Roddy's philosophy, as someone who saw what Chad LaRose (and others) was able to contribute as an "energy player" isn't 180 degrees different from Ronnie's. If we really want four lines capable of scoring - and Roddy's philosophy may be more old-school, and he only wants three - but if he wants four, it is ipso-facto necessary to put skilled guys on every line. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Which brings me back to that old topic of who plays on the fourth. I have to wonder if Roddy's philosophy, as someone who saw what Chad LaRose (and others) was able to contribute as an "energy player" isn't 180 degrees different from Ronnie's. If we really want four lines capable of scoring - and his philosophy may be more old-school, and he only wants three - but if he wants four, it is ipso-facto necessary to put skilled guys on all of them. 

Obviously I put a lot of words on here (including this post), so I don't expect anyone to keep track of it all, but this idea is one of my pet issues. The 4th line is always (at least here) treated as a line for "professional grinders". The notion is that you don't put talented prospects there. You put them on lines that they were made for...in the AHL. But what has that gotten us? One of the lowest producing 4th lines around. This on a team that is chronically short of goals.

I've always assumed that the 4th line grinding thing is out of necessity for three main reasons. Mainly, there isn't enough top 9 talent in the NHL to go around, second, there's a salary cap (can't pay 12 forwards scoring money), and lastly the top 9 and especially top 6 guys need their minutes and don't want that 4th line cutting their ice time.

OK, but what if you had an answer for all three questions? Then why keep having a 4th line with near zero scoring chops? 

1. Not enough talent. We have lots of talent, in the AHL. I buy the notion that some guys need more development in the AHL. Gauthier and Bean for instance. But we also have guys who have already dominated the AHL, or keep showing skill at the NHL level: Zykov, Foegele, arguably Kuok, and Wallmark fit into one or both of those categories. They don't need more AHL time (Kuok might be debatable, but probably is NHL ready). Then we have PDG and or McGinn, who have at least third line scoring upside.

2. All of those guys I listed are cheap. And we are as far away from the salary cap as we are to having a Vezna goalie.

3. This is the exact point for some outside the box thinking. Players don't always do what the coach asks (witness Peters 4 years of pleading for a netfront presence). The big guys in the top 9 have guaranteed contracts. Coaches keep saying that their most useful hammer is....icetime. If you have a 4th line that is scoring, then take the minutes from guys or lines that are not playing "the right way". All of the guys listed in #1 have top 6 potential. So, if they are here, slide them up and down the line up, also rewarding them for their play. 

Finally, and sorry for the length, these guys will have far more trade value if they show they can produce at the NHL level. If say, a Kuok, shows his chops, slides up with an injury to a top 9 guy and produces, he could have trade value on a team that has lots of talent pushing up.

We need all the goals we can get. We cannot afford NOT to get goals from the 4th line. Foegele-Wallmark-McGinn (off side), or something like that, can grind AND score. Would have to roll 4 lines more often. So? We want to play an uptempo attacking game, rolling 4 lines would help that. Why not have a young, up and coming 4th line, with a lot to prove, happy to be in the NHL and highly motivated to stay there?

• Like 1

Hmmm. Pretty NHL-like team tonight. Might have to go.

Even though they won big, Roddy not thrilled with the play of the vets that played last time. Interesting to see if it's tighter tonight.

DnnyfGvXsAUpTB3.jpg

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Even though they won big, Roddy not thrilled with the play of the vets that played last time. Interesting to see if it's tighter tonight.

He's right. Although I counted Jordan among the best on the ice at the end of the game, it was purely on the strength of his third period. He was pretty invisible up 'til then. Slavin needed to take the body on the Bolts' lone goal; Faulk was his usual defensively brutal self. Dougie, Calvin, Ferland, and Willy all looked solid, but as three new guys and a newly minted C, they had to be. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo
  • Like 1

Darling passed his first practice test. JWilly totally gave me chills when he gained the entry and made such a slick play to Kuokkanen for the first goal. Reminiscent of Brind’Amour in his days as C. Necas and Kuokkanen have stood out mostly, Foegele was noticeable yet missed the scoresheet. Svechnikov has also stood out to me. So excited to get my first in person look at Mrazek (last time I saw him live he shut us out for the Red Wings), Svechnikov with an NHL lineup, Hamilton and Ferland. I’ll be at the game tonight in section 121. Also nice that the ‘Canes are doing the Relief Effort Drive. 

Also, I forgot to mention this, but guys. We’ve seen Mäenalanen for one game. He looks incredibly fast and he’s huge. Once he gets used to the smaller gaps in the North American ice rink, he’ll be a beast. I think the next time we see him draw in for a pre-season game he’ll show us something more than speed and size.

• Like 1

Kuokkanen and Bean are scratches tonight, Wallmark to play center, and Mrazek to play 2 periods. Ferland not playing (not injured).

Edited by gocanes0506

From Adam Gold

Zykov-Aho-Svechnikov

McGinn-Staal-Williams

Foegele-Necas-Turbo

Martinook-Wallmark-DiGiuseppe

Slavin-Hamilton

de Haan-Faulk

Fleury-Pesce

Mrazek

Edited by gocanes0506

3 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

We wouldn't have seen this lineup from Pastor Bill until preseason was over already.

14 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

From Adam Gold

Zykov-Aho-Svechnikov

McGinn-Staal-Williams

Foegele-Necas-Turbo

Martinook-Wallmark-DiGiuseppe

Slavin-Hamilton

de Haan-Faulk

Fleury-Pesce

Mrazek

This looks like a lineup of the current frontrunners to make the team (Neds the exception).  This is very different, ur right Coastal.

5 minutes ago, hag65 said:

This looks like a lineup of the current frontrunners to make the team (Neds the exception).  This is very different, ur right Coastal.

TVR, Ferland, and Darling are the only guys missing.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

TVR, Ferland

Somebody will have to be extra, as, together with those two, we will have 13 forwards and 7 dmen. Darling wasn't mentioned as default backup probably.

3 hours ago, SuckaPunchd said:

Also, I forgot to mention this, but guys. We’ve seen Mäenalanen for one game. He looks incredibly fast and he’s huge. Once he gets used to the smaller gaps in the North American ice rink, he’ll be a beast. I think the next time we see him draw in for a pre-season game he’ll show us something more than speed and size.

This is exactly right. Judging a guy on his first 15 minutes is ridiculous. And yes, I know I've already made the point, but it bears repeating. Anybody 6'-4" who can move - and has moves - like that is pretty much the complete opposite of every player this org has had for the past 10 years. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This is exactly right. Judging a guy on his first 15 minutes is ridiculous.

Whoops!  I'll need to cancel the parade permit I put in for next June.  Maybe I jumped the gun?  ?

• Like 1

It may not be fair but players trying to break the lineup don't get a lot of time. They need to impress every time they get on the ice. If Mäenalanen  gets another look he can't waste it.

Hate playing to Caps. According to some jerk names Neilsen I'm in there viewing area so I get to hear their guys. Dont get me wrong they seem to know what they are talking about but their voices just hurt me.