The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

2018/19 Training Camp & Preseason

My takes from Brindy's interview.....

Aho will start at center

It doesn't seem like Necas and Svech will be on the same line. 

Ferland will probably start on Necas' left

Pesce had a lung issue this off-season, may not be completely healthy????

RBA's non-committal on having Fleury as #7 seems like a trade with Faulk has some foundation or Pesce isnt ready.

Skinner wouldnt do what was asked and now he isnt here, beware all others who want to follow that path.

Will name A captain as soon as the team is all here

Lines guess after that info

ZAT

McGinn-Staal-Williams

Foegele-Rask-Svech

Ferland-Necas-Martinook

Want a better LW on the Rask line and slide Foegele to Necas' right side.  If Maenalanen makes the squad, I dont know that Zykov fits on left side of Rask and Svech but that could be a solid goal scoring line that it hard to take the puck away.

AfterI listening to the Brindy interview I came away thinking no lines have been set in stone including Aho at center. Aho is going to get long look in the middle before a final decision.

34 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Lines guess after that info

ZAT

My only concern here (aside from a marked lack of 2-way play that i've seen out of Zykov) is the muscle issue.  Aho and TT aren't exactly fragile but they aren't brick walls either, and as they continue to improve, i foresee a lot more runs taken at them.  Might not be an issue but i wouldn't mind seeing someone on the other wing to keep the opposition honest.  Zykov's 3 even-strength hits all last season in both leagues combined doesn't fill me with confidence that he's that guy.

• Like 1

First response is to gocane's summary not having listened because it allows me to just comment on some of the ideas. 

Most interesting to me is confirmation of my (and other's) guess that Skinner was moved out as part of the new direction, and allowing him to show up at camp was a non starter. Time will tell the wisdom of getting Pu for Skinner, but at least there is a clear plan and Skinner's style was not part of that plan. 

Second most interesting was Pesce's health questions. As always wish we had more info. Personally I think McKeown would be solid as a stand in for Pesce for a while, but it certainly does create a reason why the Cane's haven't taken the best offer on Faulk if they don't like the return. Obviously I've been on the "trade Faulk" bandwagon for a while now, but I do agree that especially after the return on Skinner, we need to get at least a good top 6 forward roster player for Faulk to give us more veteran depth up front on a team relying big time on very young forwards. See * below.

Lines? Brindy was asked about lines on his interview with the XM team review and to my recollection said something like that's what camp is for. Now don't get me wrong. Gotta speculate on things and there's not much to speculate on, though just for fun don't think Top's going to like leaving Maenalanen off! But I just can't really even speculate on lines yet outside of Aho will probably play with TT.

*also looking at lines that show Zykov, Martinook, Ferland, McGinn, Foegele on the wings, to go with Rask hoping to bounce back, and then two rookies and one great, but really aging Williams, leaves me very ambivalent. On the one hand, I like the idea of opening some spots for Zykov and Foelele, and I believe in Necas and Svech, but there are so many ifs there, that one more solid guy with proven NHL 20/50 numbers just makes sense to me.

Thanks coastal for that link. I don't know if this one issue struck anyone else, but towards the end of the interview Brind'Amour hit on something that concerned me about last year, and could pose a huge issue this year. He talked about what I'll paraphrase as "support"for these new players and I would further suggest "bonding" as related to his anxiety when he broke into the league as an 18 year old. Why that is concerning to me is how it has sounded retrospectively related to Darling's situation last year. Now I don't profess to be any kind of expert on either Darling or substance dependency, but I sensed in several of Darling's conversations that he felt somewhat isolated in the room, whether that was self inflicted or that was how the "room" was last year. And who knows, maybe part of that was relieved by the unpopular trade with Buffalo? At any rate, having lived with my now ex-wife who had alcohol issues, I can attest to the fact that isolation created great demons in that disease.

At any rate, with roughly 40% turnover, and several very young, budding stars, early and sustained bonding by this entire team may mean the difference between post season playoff run OR NOT. As always, JMHO 

Edited by KJUNKANE

Thanks for the link Coastal. OK, I listened to it, and overall I feel pretty good about it. 

What I got was that Brindy is putting a lot of thought and effort into deciding how he's going to coach. It includes both accountability and getting guys to play for the team, and also awareness that he has a young group. I think it is brilliant that he is tuned into the fact that we are going to NEED 18 and 19 year old rookies to perform and that will not happen in they are intimidated by older players. 

Personally I think we are in a good position that way. Not only having a coach who is aware of that, but having a lot of young players and specifically a lot of new guys and new young guys. All of the change means that this is not last year's team....really at all. This should allow the possibility for a lot of young guys to gain confidence and really come together as a team. 

Also, Brind'Amour with a new group and as a new coach, and being on the committee that moved a star player out for not playing the right way, will really allow as honest a "competition" in camp as any year I can think of. Between all of the new guys competing for jobs and a bunch of prospects really starting to come into "near NHL readiness", this should be the most interesting camp in years.

BTW did I miss the quote about Skinner, or was that read into what he said?

I put this separate because it didn't really fit the tone of the post above, but....

When asked if he was comfortable with the goalie situation:

Pause. "Well I have to be."

He did go onto gather his thoughts and say more, but even that was both ways. Darling has worked hard to get into shape. Not sure that will make him stop more pucks though. But in the end one of the guys fighting for a job will step up. IMO that's the right response because it includes truth, but finishes with a positive. But it is pretty direct, especially the first response.

One thing about Brindy. You are going to get what he thinks. I think the players will appreciate that. I think we will too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

A good combination to make high quality optical equipment.

Make mine Cane colored glasses please

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Boys. There's NHL hockey in Raleigh in less than 2 weeks.

:blink::lol::applaud::yippee::spin::ohyeah:

Can't wait.   Tired of my own snark.

• Like 2

I’m so ready. I haven’t been this intrigued by a training camp and pre season in a very long time. Basically, we are going to see a new team emerge. While some players are the same, big roles are being re-cast. And the pre-season/camp is the casting call.

For what it's worth, in watching PTOs over the years, they usually don't make the team. Unless he's interested in playing some in Charlotte, or unless we are thinking of some blockbuster trade, its hard to see him fitting in.

However.....

Fun with translation factors: Cajkovsky's KHL scoring would translate into 10G and 27P in the NHL, if stretched out over 82 games, which is in line with Faulk's last year and better than Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce, TVR, or Fleury. :letssee:. And he's huge. Is he physical? Maybe there is something to it....Its' a bit of a stretch of a projection, but the Canes scouts must like something. Still seems like a long shot to me, but the team loses nothing by trying him out. And if he's "all that" a trade of D for forward would be even more obvious (if that's possible).

BTW I love that we are out there looking for guys like this. I get the Finnish connection, but the translation factor for the KHL shows that it is by far the next closest thing to the NHL, so we need be looking there too.

That's a big boy, wonder if he's being brought in to raise the tenacity of camp. Big dude being baited with an NHL contract? He's probably going to bring it full tilt. 

Correction on nationality, his is Slovakian.  Hopefully no bad blood between him and Necas + Mrazek.  

I wonder if we wont see a defender moved until we know the health of Pesce.  In the end could add the depth of the organization with Fora, Carrick and McKeown.  Just surprised we have a PTO for a defender.  My guess would have been a goalie and/or a couple of forwards.

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Correction on nationality, his is Slovakian.  Hopefully no bad blood between him and Necas + Mrazek.  

I wonder if we wont see a defender moved until we know the health of Pesce.  In the end could add the depth of the organization with Fora, Carrick and McKeown.  Just surprised we have a PTO for a defender.  My guess would have been a goalie and/or a couple of forwards.

gocanes, I don't think that Slovakian/Czech harbor animosity? Now Russian/Czech, they surely do based on my experience with 2 Czech exchange students several years ago. And from my rating on him, he just may be that prototypical "late bloomer"?

9 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

gocanes, I don't think that Slovakian/Czech harbor animosity? Now Russian/Czech, they surely do based on my experience with 2 Czech exchange students several years ago. And from my rating on him, he just may be that prototypical "late bloomer"?

pure conjecture.  would saying hopefully there isnt a split between Necas + Mrazek and Cajkovsky be better or too much of a bad dad joke?