The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

2018/19 Training Camp & Preseason

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Correction on nationality, his is Slovakian.  Hopefully no bad blood between him and Necas + Mrazek.  

I wonder if we wont see a defender moved until we know the health of Pesce.  In the end could add the depth of the organization with Fora, Carrick and McKeown.  Just surprised we have a PTO for a defender.  My guess would have been a goalie and/or a couple of forwards.

And Robert Kron.  He's likely the guy to sign off on this, if not be the primary mover.  Hey, the Americans destroyed Port Dover, so the Brit (later Canadian) troops burned down our whitehouse, yet we citizens still get along fine.  :)

This Pesce thing is mysterious and concerning.

Edited by wxray1

Roster is out!

there aren’t any surprises.  A couple of recent AHL signings there and Cajkovsky.  The rest of the 50 are draftees or roster players.

the AHL/ECHL depth goalie signing isn’t invited.  

I look forward to seeing Pu and to see how Smallman has recovered. Smallman was Foegele before Foegele was Foegele.

Edited by gocanes0506

Mark Armstrong‏ @ArmstrongABC11

FollowFollow @ArmstrongABC11

At the risk of being a downer, Scott Darling is not inspiring a lot of confidence.

1:27 PM - 13 Sep 2018

Mark Armstrong‏ @ArmstrongABC11 41s41 seconds ago

More

Lots of flopping, flailing and general not stopping of pucks

oh no!

I like hearing the reports from camp about Roddie’s camp atmosphere and requirements.  All pace, no rest, and not a bunch of white board time.  Even bag skating when shootouts aren’t scored.

Edited by gocanes0506

I posted a couple of things on this theme in the off-season area, but just wanted to list things here. These are things I can see as actual moves made by this organization to add physical, gritty, play the right way players and leaders in a major move to change our culture. I guess it really starts with PK out and Dundon in. But then...

Francis out, shock move, which cleared the deck for Dundon to be in charge, and that tinkering and never ending patience in the draft and develop mode as the only mode opened things up for the moves to come.

Peters out. 4 years of dominating possession but giving up more goals and not scoring, was enough. Peters talked literally from day one about going to the net. For 4 years hardly anyone did it. Peters wanted to possess the puck but was never able to control the area around either net, nor IMO create high danger scoring chances outside of Aho and TT. And 4 more years of soft teams. 

Brindy in. At first I wanted the resume coach. I really think that was wrong. This is the guy. He could get more out of this crew than just about any other coach. Already he's simplified and cleaned up some things and inspired guys at camp. He's put in the work and has the natural abilities. He also seems to have the full support of the hands on owner and is on the committee. Players know that they have to buy in, but I think the ones that do will be happy and successful. 

Skinner out. See my other post. This was a massive statement. If the players had any doubts about the new direction, (after Francis out, Peters out, Brindy in), then this one should be screaming: you will play our way or else.

Williams as Captain. Such and obvious move, and so botched by Peters. Despite many good things Peters did, the way he handled the captaincy (now clearly his call), was the most bizarre mistake he made. Including possibly floating Skinner's name out there, which might have played a role in Skinner's fall too. Williams is like Brind'Amour part II. The way Faulk and Staal have reacted seems like, "well duh, he should be captain." But this could run deep as the lines go from Williams to Brindy all the way to the top of the committee. One direction. Clear message. And legit leaders. (Including Jordan (and, ok Justin) as Assistants)).

The other moves are player moves I'll add below.

• Like 2

Aside from all of the leadership moves and the Skinner "tone setting" move above. The other striking thing to me is seeing the size, physicality and grit of the players we've moved in or up, or have kept around. It really does suggest that this will be a much tougher team to play against. 

Martinook is a hitter. Zykov will go to the net and is big and strong. Ferland is a hitter who can score. Hamilton may not be a bruiser but he does the right things on D and replaces a soft player in Hanifin. DeHaan is tough. He blocks shots and does the things in the D zone that limit opposition scoring. He is solid. Maenalanen, is huge and can skate. Foegele is solid, digs in the corners, plays two ways, and can score and also goes to the net. McGinn is gritty and can hit with force just shy of Ruutu. Jordan Staal is underated physically. He led the team in hits last year and obviously plays the right way 200 ft. Svech is big and physical. Even PDG can get some physical going.  

Necas will get there with his speed, and Aho is long established as a strong two way player. We all know the grit and giving 100% of of the Captain J Williams. Slavin is a rock as is Pesce. TVR is solid defensively. Fleury as a rookie is yet to define this aspect IMO.

Really, only TT stands out as the only softish player left on this team. I have obvious issues with Faulk's soft D, but it's more of a positionally soft thing than anything else, and he may be the first guy moved out anyway. And while Teravanen isn't going to take anyone's head off, he was a strong two way player second on the team in plus-minus and no team needs every single player to be gritty. 

There is a clear change, and if Brind'Amour and Williams get guys playing the right way, this is not going be an easy team to play against, which Brind'Amour himself said "is the worst thing to be."

• Like 2

I just heard a rebroadcast of an interview with Torts on XM. Overall not a fan of him, but he is a smart guy and has at least tried to learn from his mistakes and change some things up. Anyways, what was interesting was that he said that his biggest mistake early in his career was over-coaching. As he put it, this is supposed to be an instinctive game. If guys get too caught up in the system, they learn to over correct their instincts. The same ones that made them great. Torts used to really ride guys about every detail, and he realizes that just tightened them up too much. I have no idea if he's fully fixed that, but the point is a good one. 

I hear some of that same stuff from Brind'Amour as an answer to Peters. The idea of letting guys play. Sure, there is structure, but if a player sees an opening, go ahead and deviate from the plan and make a play. It's not only not wrong, but encouraged. 

Playing the "right way" BTW is not staying perfect in the system so much as it's about putting the team first, and doing things that lead to wins: making a hit, going to the net, winning board battles, taking a hit to make a play, blocking a shot, etc.

4 hours ago, remkin said:

. . .

Williams as Captain. Such and obvious move, and so botched by Peters. Despite many good things Peters did, the way he handled the captaincy (now clearly his call), was the most bizarre mistake he made. Including possibly floating Skinner's name out there, which might have played a role in Skinner's fall too. Williams is like Brind'Amour part II. The way Faulk and Staal have reacted seems like, "well duh, he should be captain." But this could run deep as the lines go from Williams to Brindy all the way to the top of the committee. One direction. Clear message. And legit leaders. (Including Jordan (and, ok Justin) as Assistants)).

Why now clearly Peters call?  It sounded like Peters was leaning towards Skinner.  If there were concerns about Skinner from people like Brindy, Williams, Cole, etc that led to a compromise of Staal/Faulk, wouldn't they have more likely influenced Ron Francis than Peters? I'm not saying I think it's one way or another, just curious as to why you think Ron Francis might not have weighed heavily into the decision.

7 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Why now clearly Peters call?  It sounded like Peters was leaning towards Skinner.  If there were concerns about Skinner from people like Brindy, Williams, Cole, etc that led to a compromise of Staal/Faulk, wouldn't they have more likely influenced Ron Francis than Peters? I'm not saying I think it's one way or another, just curious as to why you think Ron Francis might not have weighed heavily into the decision.

I guess Francis could have been involved. I tended to think most GM's generally deferred to the coach on that decision since it's an "in the room" thing, but I could surely be wrong about that. Also, Francis, being a captain, it just didn't seem like his sort of move. I guess what is clear is that Brind'Amour and the players were against it. If it was forced on Peters, I'd love to know. But I guess the main thing in terms of that particular decision is that both Peters and Francis are gone. Did anyone ever take credit for that idea? I can't remember it if they did.

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

I guess Francis could have been involved. I tended to think most GM's generally deferred to the coach on that decision since it's an "in the room" thing, but I could surely be wrong about that. Also, Francis, being a captain, it just didn't seem like his sort of move. I guess what is clear is that Brind'Amour and the players were against it. If it was forced on Peters, I'd love to know. But I guess the main thing in terms of that particular decision is that both Peters and Francis are gone. Did anyone ever take credit for that idea? I can't remember it if they did.

Yeah, generally.  But after RF got the ax I got the feeling from comments within the organization that he may have been more "hands on" than most GMs.  But you're right, both are gone. 

The other thing I thought was interesting was when Willie said [I'm paraphrasing] he didn't anticipate doing much different wearing the C than he was doing last year. 

Wonder if I'll be able to watch, or if anyone can watch for that matter. Specifically Canes Vision liked to stiff arm me for living in Ohio last year ?

10 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I hope this thing gets nailed down to a core group and the first few call ups pretty soon.

It looks like we are taking a look at our prospects first. I also hope they will make a quick evaluation and nail down the core group.

No Necas on that list. The Necas/Svech thing is probably a later on thing, as in later in the season. I say probably. Watch them together in the last pre season game. But someone, I think maybe Forslund? said not likely to actually start the two rookies on the same line. 

Are those Fox Go games available for a while after the game or just live streamed? Gotta work.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

It looks like we are taking a look at our prospects first. I also hope they will make a quick evaluation and nail down the core group.

Yeah, really only about 9-10 of those guys will be on the NHL team to start, and there are no vets from the top half of the team. How long do we go split squad?

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yeah, really only about 9-10 of those guys will be on the NHL team to start, and there are no vets from the top half of the team. How long do we go split squad?

I think that depends on the coaching staff. I would expect some cuts after the first pre-season game and then a steady culling of the heard. I would think by the 5th game the roster will be nearly set.

Lineup

Zykov-Wallmark-Svechnikov
McGinn-Martinook-Di Giuseppe
Saarela-Bishop-Pu
Geekie-McKegg-Brown

Bean-McKeown
Fleury-van Riemsdyk
Cajkovsky-Renouf

Mrazek
Nedeljkovic

Watch: Hurricanes.com (geo-restricted to local broadcast territory)

Listen: 99.9 The Fan

Edited by Caniac514