The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

2018/19 Training Camp & Preseason

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Less powerpoint presentations and more play.

Exactly my thoughts, wxray. A new era emerges, but then we knew it was. I would also think that the philosophy of "rest rather than practice" that BP expoused followed him to Calgary, together with a few players that will help him get the point across to their new teammates. 

Im gunna make the same comment I would have made if we got whipped.  Its Preseason and the 1st game at that.  Liked several players comments in this regard.

• Like 1

Yeah I was thinking the same thing Top. Last night was really great for a lot of players and also shows the value of playing hard, but clearly Tampa's studs were trying to get through it, while our guys wanted it. Brindy was smart though, to start out with the energy guys, guys trying to impress because like a dance off, they now point back to the veteran guys to see what they do. 

Personally, I love a lot of what happened last night (how can't you), but the better measure of how things might be different will be tonight. How do our vets, already on the team, come out in a meaningless warm up game? If they play hard and fast and go to the net, then...:D.

Still, it is so nice to have some positives to talk about. Brind'Amour praised the puck moving, game management and veteran calm of Mrazek. That PDG pass to Svech was heady. Wide open in the slot, everyone had to be thinking he's shooting that. Wallmark could be a huge beneficiary of confidence from tallying two points with a goal and an assist, which is probably the missing piece for him at the NHL level. Svech of course. Zykov really seems to know that his NHL meal ticket can be punched right in front of the net. Imagine if Cajokovsky keeps scoring. 

Here's the post on Cajkovsky's KHL to NHL conversion prediction: Cajkovsky's KHL scoring would translate into 10G and 27P in the NHL, if stretched out over 82 games, which is in line with Faulk's last year and better than Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce, TVR, or Fleury. :letssee:

Can he play in the AHL for a while? This is a big dude. Did he look good? 

So nice to have actual hockey. 

I'll definitely be interested to see if the effort level can be matched tonight by the vets. Last night's squad featured guys trying to prove a point and make a team, so the energy  level was nice, but expected. We'll see if the "old men" decide to match and see what Brindy hockey is really all about!

Ha...Rem beat me to it. What he said.

Edited by canesfan06

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

He looked sound and he was huge. Took a couple of penalties, one of which was a freak play where he tried to glove the puck and batted it over the glass in our end. But the announcers said his name a lot, and not in a "he got burned" way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

If they play hard and fast and go to the net, then...

...all they have to do is prevent any shots at all on Darling?? I'm hoping not, really pulling for him, but the early reports here, from camp, have me a little worried. Both Mrazek and Ned put the ball squarely in his court. Let's see if he hits it back.

At one point last night Forslund gave the perfect description of how Ned was moving: "Like he's sitting in a lounge chair and just kicking out his legs," or something pretty close to that. I played goalie for the first 10 years I played hockey, and I instantly got what he meant. It's exactly how it feels on good nights.

Edited by top-shelf-1
missing word
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, remkin said:

Imagine if Cajokovsky keeps scoring. 

Here's the post on Cajkovsky's KHL to NHL conversion prediction: Cajkovsky's KHL scoring would translate into 10G and 27P in the NHL, if stretched out over 82 games, which is in line with Faulk's last year and better than Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce, TVR, or Fleury. :letssee:

He was *very* noticeable, firing shots, had a great first pass out of the D zone...  heady D play, stickhandled out of trouble, all I could keep saying was "who IS this guy" because he stood out.

As the game went on and he took the 2 penalties it turned a bit but too small a sample size, he is a contender IMHO.  That's what I saw.

• Like 1

Lineup

Ferland-Aho-Maenalanen
Kuokkanen-Staal-Williams
Foegele-Necas-Teravainen
Smallman-Roy-Gauthier

Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
Carrick-Didier

Darling
Booth

One possible take on the forward lines yest vs today, besides the more upper end veterans out there today, is that the prime prospects that don't have the inside track are getting a chance with the higher end guys. 

Yesterday, the top 6 are either on the team or veterans that have been, and the bottom 6 are long shots. Tonight, each line features one of our best prospects with something to prove: Maenalanen, Foegele, and Kuokkanen (I have Necas inked in already, but could add him). Oddly, it could be those three guys let down most if the vets take this one easy. I'll be watching those three and Necas, and keeping an eye on Gauthier too. On D want to see the new main guys: Hamilton and Dehaan, and of course...

Darling. 

• Like 1

A couple of things I will watch for tonight.

Will we skate the same high energy alway look to score system we played last night.

Darling. All the other questions of the line up are of interest but for me it's all about Darling tonight.

Hoping too that Booth splits this game, as Ned did last night. Big step for him, though he's surely ticketed to FL. Tonight is a great chance for him to play with a real NHL team in front of him, but I'd rather see Helvig.

Edited by top-shelf-1

14 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Hoping too that Booth splits this game, as Ned did last night. Big step for him, though he's surely ticketed to FL. Tonight is a great chance for him to play with a real NHL team in front of him, but I'd rather see Helvig.

According to Michael Smith's article:

Scott Darling will get the start in net and likely play around 30 minutes, just as Petr Mrazek did in Tampa. Callum Booth will pick up the balance.

I looked up Booth on the internet and first got the wiki for the left back Scottish footballer.  :)

In any case, the goaltending will be something to watch tonight.

The lines are interesting tonight. Hopefully it’ll be fun.

Pesce and Fora aren’t playing tonight. Pesce is purely precautionary.

Edited by gocanes0506

I tried watching the video feed on the Cane's website last night and it wouldn't load.  Also, my Fox Sports app didn't have it listed.  Did I miss something?

• Like 1

Yeah, I was wrong on the Fox Sports app carrying the game.  I had similar issues with the game loading from the Canes website but figured out you have to have your Flash player enabled.  You might look and make sure before the stream tonight.  Could be your issue if you are in the Canes broadcast area.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yeah, I was wrong on the Fox Sports app carrying the game.  I had similar issues with the game loading from the Canes website but figured out you have to have your Flash player enabled.  You might look and make sure before the stream tonight.  Could be your issue if you are in the Canes broadcast area.

Yeah, I'm in their broadcast area.  Just south of Greenville, NC.  You never can tell about the territorial rights though, for games on Fox Sports Southeast during the season I have to use the Fox Sports App 'cause my Sling account doesn't recognize it.  (The cool thing though is my daughter who's in the Fairfax, VA area attending Georgetown for grad school can watch all of the 'Canes games via the Fox Sports app and use Sling as the "cable" provider.)  No big deal, really.  Just glad hockey is finally back.

Got in. Trying to figure some player numbers out. Great to see hockey. First time this year for me. Maenalenen looks pretty fast as does Necas. Darling has a shut out going!