The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Third Logo

5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I just downloaded Google Translate and tried it on this.

It came out as "Hurricants".

Either you mistyped it in Russian or Google Translate sucks... :)

6 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm guessing so many pirate theme suggestions because hurricanes are a Carolina coastal phenomena and so are pirates?  Tbh, I wouldn't mind replacing Stormy with a pirate for our mascot. 

It's because Blackbeard (aka Edward Teach) was killed behind Ocracoke Island in a battle with a British force sent by the VA gov to kill or capture him.  Teach also spent some time in the Bath, NC area after running his flagship the Queen Anne's Revenge aground entering Beaufort Inlet.  The wreck of Queen Anne's Revenge was located in the late 90's and it was a big deal at that time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Well, TD's tweet actually had a few decent replies. That fugly CH Hartford logo came up as expected, I dunno why anyone likes it. A troll post but cool concept Nordiques jersey came up, hopefully they get to wear that jersey someday with their own team.

I was going to say I didn't think anyone with any amount of talent would make an NHL team a logo for free, but there's quite a few decent logos thrown out there that the team could use as a starting concept. I like the pirate concepts, their cool but I don't see them fitting in at all. We've never made ties to pirates before so that's just kind of confusing. Thought about posting my favorites but I mean you can just goto the tweet so I didn't.

I would think the Pirates are troll posts from fans of Cam, who had the pirate on his mask for years (following the abomination that was the Nicleback mask),

Well if that's trolling then their trolling themselves because quite a few pirate concepts got tossed, enough that I think TD will give it decent enough thought. It's an idea but until the average hockey fan knows NC's pirate history will just be weird? I think those are two totally different team themes. But I suppose you can't make Jim Cantore the third logo to stay with Hurricanes.

Edited by legend-1

17 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Well if that's trolling then their trolling themselves because quite a few pirate concepts got tossed, enough that I think TD will give it decent enough thought. It's an idea but until the average hockey fan knows NC's pirate history will just be weird? I think those are two totally different team themes. But I suppose you can't make Jim Cantore the third logo to stay with Hurricanes.

Hey, it's one more story for the organ-eye-zation to tell. In any venture that relies on long-term relationships, the more unique the stories about its fan base, the better. Once you hit New Bern, and Greenville, and points south (Down) and east (East) respectively, pirate heritage and Pirate Nation are  a big deal.

Edited by top-shelf-1

It certainly could educate the rest of the hockey world about NC. I'd imagine it would prompt many a Google search as to why we've got a pirate in our logo. It's growing on me.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

Before learning the origins of Stormy when the Canes first introduced him, I'd have associated a pirate with NC before a pig.  And that was after figuring out that Stormy was a pig.  It was kind of confusing to me at first.  

• Like 1

To celebrate their 25th, Anaheim is throwing back 8 duck masked themed jerseys from years past as their rotating third jersey this year. It’s more difficult to come up with themes around our logo unfortunately that people would get/instantly associate with us, esp since fans don’t want to drag the whale in any fashion into the mix

9 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Before learning the origins of Stormy when the Canes first introduced him, I'd have associated a pirate with NC before a pig.  And that was after figuring out that Stormy was a pig.  It was kind of confusing to me at first.  

And now that the guy in the Stormy suit has left, why not retire the suit too, and hang its... uh, ham hocks??... from the rafters? Perfect time to introduce a new mascot that conveys danger a bit more imminent than the looming prospect of cardiovascular disease, like... a Piiiiiiiiiiirate! (Arrrrrrrgh!!!) 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And now that the guy in the Stormy suit has left, why not retire the suit too, and hang its... uh, ham hocks??... from the rafters? Perfect time to introduce a new mascot that conveys danger a bit more imminent than the looming prospect of cardiovascular disease, like... a Piiiiiiiiiiirate! (Arrrrrrrgh!!!) 

Have to admit having a pig as a mascot probably doesn't do the team any favors in terms of people around the league equating our fanbase with Mayberry.

12 hours ago, legend-1 said:

It certainly could educate the rest of the hockey world about NC. I'd imagine it would prompt many a Google search as to why we've got a pirate in our logo. It's growing on me.

THAT logo isn't growing on me.  But the pirate concept is, as much as I don't like pirates!   (thugs, right?)  But heck, maybe part of the new culture?  Pirates are very tough to play against.

I think a more professional logo may work.  I'm even open to a second mascot idea.

Why don't I like the logo above?  For some reason, I reminds me of the Flo-Progressive magazine photos...

flo.JPG

11 hours ago, caneswincup said:

To celebrate their 25th, Anaheim is throwing back 8 duck masked themed jerseys from years past as their rotating third jersey this year. It’s more difficult to come up with themes around our logo unfortunately that people would get/instantly associate with us, esp since fans don’t want to drag the whale in any fashion into the mix.

Pretty sure they're just wearing the 8 previous jerseys in warm-ups, maybe because the league limits teams to 1 alternate uniform? (just a guess)

I like the idea, but it wouldn't have near the impact for the Canes.  We haven't had anywhere near the variety of uniforms over their history that the Ducks have had.   Check out the Wild Wing uni (top center), lol.  

cut.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin