The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Goalieman_nc

The Fans Captain Choice

Looking back through all the threads, it looks like it was October 2017 when this was last brought up. If I am starting a thread that's already out there, please forgive me!

This is my question to you. Who do you think should wear the 'C' and why?

Thank you!

#14; he has proven throughout his career that he knows what it takes to win, and understands what his present coach demands of the individual players. Being a 3 time Stanley Cup winner gives him the cred to lead this young bunch. It was a mistake not to award him the "C" last season.

• Like 1

I think it will be Williams. He's been front and center with media and prospects, and is tight with Brindy, who has already said the two headed monster will die. If Faulk had been moved, then Jordan might still keep it, but with them both here, it will be easiest just to give it to J Willie rather than single one Co Captain out.

• Like 1

I'm going to launch into this discussion from a combined nostalgic and pragmatic point of view, and concur with what I think is the majority opinion. Realizing that Justin Williams is getting up in age, and likely would/could not be a long term holder of the "C", I nevertheless think that from both of my viewpoints, he deserves this honor. In selecting him for the dubious honor it sometimes appears judging from the reaction that we observe in a few Cs, in my opinion, this would be nostalgic in so far as it would unite a "relentless" past with the current relatively neophyte present?

Additionally, and I seem to keep going back to this thought in several posts, but this year moreso than I can ever recall, we are seeing a potential influx of players unfamiliar with each other such that in choosing #14 should not ruffle any feathers, namely the feelings of the immediate past 2 co-captains.

No one on here needs reminding that Justin was a huge part of the team in 05-06, and I always regretted his trade the next year, but it seems fitting to me that his place be recognized in this way. As to the potential shortness of his tenure, I think it would be of perfect length to lead into the "young guns" takeover.

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

Williams is not only all in on Brindy's message but he's the one who fully gets his message and can be the voice in the locker room who supports what Brindy is saying. He's Brindy's best liaison to bring up team troubles to him as well. It just makes sense this year, teach up several people what the C means so that when it's time to transition we've had guys who know what it takes.

The only downside is that I have a 50-50 feeling this will be a one year Captaincy.

• Like 1

I am in agreement with everyone so far. Williams is by-far my pick for Captain. My fear, though, is Staal is going to end up with the big 'C'. He was half of the captain's last year with Faulk. By taking it away I wonder if they would consider it a slap in the face? But they are both big boys and professionals so I feel giving Staal and Faulk the 'A's would be the right step...in my opinion.

• Like 1

Williams.

During his media day interview he said several times that everyone “is on alert”, meaning buy in or move along.

Like someone else said, I could see Williams acting like an internal extension of Brind’amour, whatever he says the coach will have his back. It is a bit unconventional but I think it is what is needed. 

The days of guarding everyone’s feelings and not speaking up should be over. Be honest and be fair, if you can’t handle that...move along.

• Like 2

I am going to throw the lone dissenting opinion so far. I think Williams will get the C, but I think it should remain solely on Jordan. I think both players are great examples of what Brindy wants to see, hard work on and off the ice. The reason I think it should stay with Jordan is that Williams could too easily become "the coach's yes man" rather than the players leader. With a different head coach then I would lean more toward Williams for the experience and other arguments presented.

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Williams is not only all in on Brindy's message but he's the one who fully gets his message and can be the voice in the locker room who supports what Brindy is saying. He's Brindy's best liaison to bring up team troubles to him as well. It just makes sense this year, teach up several people what the C means so that when it's time to transition we've had guys who know what it takes.

The only downside is that I have a 50-50 feeling this will be a one year Captaincy.

Better than another year of 50-50 Captaincy.

I'll let my ups speak for themselves.

I was waaaay more disappointed when we moved Willy because of who he is than I was about not getting a better return for Skinner. And though I got some pushback here at the time ("he's injury prone"), and though I'm certain he threw his weight behind moving Jeff, I'll stand by my initial assessment, that we'd regret moving him. 

• Like 2

I think the Captain will be Staal, with Williams and Slavin as Alternates.

I think the Captain should be Aho, with Staal and Slavin as Alternates.

Everything on this team runs through Aho.  He has skill, IQ, work ethic, and natural leadership.  I remember his directing traffic before every faceoff, especially on the PP.

2 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

I think the Captain will be Staal, with Williams and Slavin as Alternates.

I think the Captain should be Aho, with Staal and Slavin as Alternates.

Everything on this team runs through Aho.  He has skill, IQ, work ethic, and natural leadership.  I remember his directing traffic before every faceoff, especially on the PP.

While your point about Aho is well taken cclifford10, a thought just occurred to me which is, How good of a command does Aho have of the language and how necessary is it to have that command? While I am aware that Aho speaks "well" during his pressers, etc, I just am curious if he still might be called upon at times in the C role, as anyone who has the C might, could there be some subtle innuendos that he still might not quite command. I only ask because I just don't know?

But for the record, my choice is still Justin Williams, again because he's a link to our 05-06 team, and could be followed be one of the youngsters(Aho). 

If the plan is eventually Aho, J Willy would be a nice bridge so Aho doesn't have to "take it" from J Staal, and also allows him another year to grow into it even more and show his dominance on the ice too. 

• Like 1

J Willy makes sense for the following reasons:

- Short term, so someone else will take it eventually

- Team is in transition, so a short term captain (interim) is OK

- He has skill dealing with media.  He'll take the heat in Buffalo when Skinner scores a hatty.  The media just may get under other players skin when this happens.

- He is someone that can be looked up to.

All that said, I'm not in the room, so who knows?

Edited by wxray1

On 9/6/2018 at 11:07 AM, Goalieman_nc said:

I am in agreement with everyone so far. Williams is by-far my pick for Captain. My fear, though, is Staal is going to end up with the big 'C'. He was half of the captain's last year with Faulk. By taking it away I wonder if they would consider it a slap in the face? But they are both big boys and professionals so I feel giving Staal and Faulk the 'A's would be the right step...in my opinion.

I think Staal is more mature than to get his panties in a wad over trading the C for an A. I think he is a team first guy who leads by example, but I also believe Jordan recognizes what Willy has accomplished in his career and will be just fine if Rod goes in that direction. Also, he is getting paid $6 million to play for the Canes and that should validate any doubts about his value to the team. The other big question if Faulk isn’t traded is does he get the second A? I think yes if he’s still here because everyone knows it’s short term and it sends a good message about how the team values him to potential trade partners. I could see Faulk and Williams as placeholders until some of our youth steps up and lays claim to leadership roles. 

Willy with the C

Aho, Slavin, and Staal with A's. 

From an asset management perspective, I think you've got to give Faulk another A if he's still here when the letters are assigned (not replaced when he's eventually traded).

That may not quite follow tradition, but Vegas had no C and 5 A's last season, and it didn't exactly ruin their season.   I know that many here think that the 2 C arrangement contributed to the Canes woes last season, but is there any actual evidence that was the case?   I'm of the belief that if the letters hurt the Canes last year it was in the choice of players who got them, not how they were distributed amongst those players. 

Staal with the C. I think the way the team rallied around his family tragedy and the way he handled it shows he is and should be the Captain.

JWilly and Slaven with the A's

Aho may very well be the best player on the team right now but to me his demeanor (what can be seen on TV anyway) does not say he can get in the faces of older vets and correct them.

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

Aho may very well be the best player on the team right now but to me his demeanor (what can be seen on TV anyway) does not say he can get in the faces of older vets and correct them.

I think that is a very fair point, but I do wonder if Staal does that sort of thing either though. Williams is just such a credentialed veteran. Something was wrong last year, and it's a pretty good bet that Brind'Amour did not like the whole two headed captain thing, and possibly either guy as captain. I think it will be easier to move to Williams because the team underperformed last year, and it would be hard for Staal or Faulk to really argue with that, and easier to change since we have also changed so much else, including coach. 

If they do go Williams, it will obviously only be short term. After that, I could definitely see Aho as a possible replacement. Not just because he's the best player and plays a two-way game, but because of his hockey IQ too. I agree he needs to get a bit more time in first, which makes the place holder strategy of Williams work at that level too. IF they want to transition to Aho, or anyone else really, it would be easier to move Jordan out first, so the new guy didn't de-throne him. 

To your point though, I've been one that has remained open to Jordan being a "lead by example" kind of guy despite general opinion that he's too quiet or something like that. I would not be shocked if Brind'Amour did go with Jordan, and he'd be my second choice. I just get the feeling that Brind'Amour wants change from the old guard. I know that he respected Peters, but it seems clearer now that he did not always agree with him. I just can't get past how much of Williams' we are seeing out front of things. Brindy wants to put his stamp on things and JWilly sure seems to be his guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

Staal with the C. I think the way the team rallied around his family tragedy and the way he handled it shows he is and should be the Captain.

JWilly and Slaven with the A's

To be honest, I'd be very surprised if a modern day captaincy involved a lot of getting in other players faces.  There are other ways to lead besides the Vince Lombardi style, which I could even see as being counterproductive in certain instances.  While we don't know what goes on in the locker room, we've seen Aho directing other Canes on the ice ever since he got here.  I'm against giving a letter to a player based mostly on how good he is, so I discount that aspect of it, but from what I've seen I'm predicting he's ready for, and will get, an A this season.  Of course, I've been wrong in the past, and suspect I will be in the future, as well. :P

38 minutes ago, remkin said:

I would predict this: if Aho gets and A, he is the future captain.

Me too.  I almost added that I think he'll inherit the C after Willy is gone in my above post.   And that Slavin is likely a long term A, whether it starts this year or later.

My guess is Williams (C)  Staal (A) Faulk (A)

It could be Staal with the C and Williams with an A and of course if Faulk is traded or about to be traded the other A would go to Slavin. As it stands now I will go with Williams, Staal, Faulk and the youngsters will just need to wait their turn.