The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Goalieman_nc

The Fans Captain Choice

I think the conversation will be tougher after a year, it's possible some of our new guys show leadership we previously had no idea they brought. That and a year of hopefully Williams showing how you do things will hopefully make future potential Captains out of several players. I'd like to see Slavin put himself in the conversation.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, OBXer said:

My guess is Williams (C)  Staal (A) Faulk (A)

It could be Staal with the C and Williams with an A and of course if Faulk is traded or about to be traded the other A would go to Slavin. As it stands now I will go with Williams, Staal, Faulk and the youngsters will just need to wait their turn.

No offense OBXer, but imo screw "waiting their turn", lol.  Seems like that philosophy may have contributed to the Canes missing the playoffs last year, and one attribute from the committee that I hope will partly offset it's lack of experience is a turn towards more meritocracy within the organization, especially from Brindy.  Now, if the yutes really aren't ready that's one thing, but if it's a matter of other players having been around longer?  I hope those days are numbered.

15 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

f the yutes really aren't ready that's one thing, but if it's a matter of other players having been around longer?

I get it and we are an org. that wants to change the culture. IMO Slavin is the only one among our relatively younger group that would deserve the letter and handle it. That is just an opinion. Being a star or top player isn't the only or in my opinion a reason to hang a letter on a player. As you can probable tell I like veterans in leadership roles. Let players like Aho and Svetch grow into the role and I'm confident they will.

Anyway this topic asks for a fan choice and Williams. Staal and Fauk are mine.

28 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I get it and we are an org. that wants to change the culture. IMO Slavin is the only one among our relatively younger group that would deserve the letter and handle it. That is just an opinion. Being a star or top layer isn't the only or in my opinion a reason to hang a letter on a player. As you can probable tell I like veterans in leadership roles. Let players like Aho and Svetch grow into the role and I'm confident they will.

That's certainly fair enough.  And I'm with you on including Willy and Staal in the leadership group (Faulk if necessary).  I just want it to also include clear young leaders if they are ready for it, as I suspect both Aho and Slavin are.  I believe they may even be able to reach our yutes in some ways the vets may not be able to.

[ I've no doubt I'm in the minority in not having a problem with more than 3 wear a letter as that runs counter to tradition.  But I base it on how well larger "leadership groups" have worked for some of the most successful franchises in other sports, and Vegas' run last year makes me think it may be beneficial in hockey, as well. ]

Edited by LakeLivin

J-Willy.  

He has always done the little things to win.  He's gone after the dirty pucks, screen goalies with pucks flying his way, took it down the slot and been there night in night out.  What he doesn't have anymore in speed he makes up with in honest effort and a hockey IQ that most don't fully appreciate.  If he gets out of position, you better take him to the doctor because something must be wrong.  

As for his trade, the idea was the 2nd knee injury he may never fully recover from.  It was a sad day to see him go.  True to form, he proved the doubters wrong.  

I will say what I said last year.  Make J-Willy Captain.  Let the Yutes explain to him why they couldn't go to the ice to stop a shot.  

Staal is a good (A) Alternate.

Past those two guys I think I'd stop there.  You can always name a 3rd "A" in season.

Edited by one-timer
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, OBXer said:

Please name one thing Justin Faulk did on the ice all last year to warrant him keeping his letter.

I'm sorry OBX, I know you're a fan. But a big part of leading is the example you set in doing your job. Slavin, Pesce, and even TVR had that all over Faulk all year. My bet is that Aho gets an A due purely to Dundon's glowing assessment of him.

20 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I just want it to also include clear young leaders if they are ready for it, as I suspect both Aho and Slavin are. 

Slavin yes, Aho no, even though I think he could probably do it.

If it were up to me - and while I hear and largely agree with your feelings about meritocracy - I do see wisdom in a policy that encourages yutes to gain wisdom before ascending to leadership roles. To facilitate that, I'd limit the distribution of letters to players who are no longer on their ELCs, no matter who they are--including McJesus, Crosby, etc. In fact, I'd like to see a limitation like this included in the next CBA. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm sorry OBX, I know you're a fan. But a big part of leading is the example you set in doing your job

I will give you my reasoning with the understanding that it is only an opinion. I will support whatever Brindy decides. When Justin Williams was interviewed after the season and asked if he was surprised he wasn't given a letter he said he was but also made a point that both Staal and Faulk were good locker room leaders. He didn't say they should keep the letter but he noticeable left Skinner out. If J. Willey sees that in Faulk, well I won't argue.

Brindy knows what it is like to have a letter ripped from his sweater and given to a younger, emerging face of the franchise. Maybe that would make it easier to do or maybe not. The end result of that was a Captain, E. Staal that wasn't IMO ready although he did grow into the role. It also put IMO undo pressure on a player that would of been better served spending a few more years earning that leadership role.

The Faulk with an A is only my belief that if we intend to keep him long term it would help not hurt, a vote of confidence. If he is as I suspect short term than the problem will be solved and the evolution of the captains will take it's natural course. IMO Slavin is the only other choice at this time. I suppose you could make a case for Hamilton.

I know it appears I defend Faulk but honestly like when all the early clamor on the board to trade him my defense of him was only that we didn't have anyone that could replace him. With Hamilton in the fold we  do; My choice of Faulk as a A is for me  more strategic than anything else. To be fair we don't know what his teammates and coaches are seeing.

Remember this is a topic asking a fans choice. As a fan that is my reasoning and my choice. I make no apologies for my choice but understand the reasons for other choices. I'm not trying to be right only explaining my thinking. I won't be surprised if someone else gets the nod. I won't be surprised if he gets the nod. I won't be surprised if he is a long term Cane or in the short term a trade candidate.

Until he isn't with us he is with us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

I will give you my reasoning with the understanding that it is only an opinion.

I assume that is true of everything written here by all participants.

You make many good points, but my overarching concern is that failure to hold him accountable for his on-ice performance only extends the culture of unaccountability. I still believe he is gone before the season begins, but if he is here, giving him an A is a cop-out on all the wonderful noises everybody in the org has been making about culture change.

On 9/7/2018 at 12:16 PM, wxray1 said:

J Willy makes sense for the following reasons:

He'll take the heat in Buffalo when Skinner scores a hatty.  

:rofl:, Skinner scoring a hat trick, just too funny. I almost fell off the couch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winger52 said:

:rofl:, Skinner scoring a hat trick, just too funny. I almost fell off the couch.

Guess I missed the joke. He's had three so far, on teams a lot less loaded than the Sabres are now. 

It was said partly joking, but not completely.

If Joe Corvo (!!!) can get a hat trick against his former team, anything is possible.  Skins has shown flashes when he gets up for a game.  What better game to get up for?

Edited by wxray1

8 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

But Faulk as an A.   interesting........ doesnt seem like someone you trade when you just named them an assistant captain

Agree. Are we going to dress 7 Dmen or send Fleury to A? or rotate Fleury with somebody on 3d pairing?

Well we got it right this time. Or should I say the coach got it right this time. 

I think that Faulk got the A in order not to embarrass him. I still have to think that we are trying to trade him, especially now with Rask out, but that assumes Pesce is good to go.

• Like 1

I can deal with Faulk having an A because at least the choice for Captain was right this time. No issue with Jordan as an Assistant, he was a decent Captain clearly he brings alot to the lineup because when he's out we flat line.

Edited by legend-1

41 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

No surprise on the C or Staal as an A.  But Faulk as an A.   interesting........ doesnt seem like someone you trade when you just named them an assistant captain.

From an asset management perspective I think you almost have to give Faulk an A, even if you are still working on trading him.  Completely stripping him of a letter adds adds another negotiating arrow to a potential trade partner's quiver.  And how much would it ding Faulk's morale at time when you need him to play well in order to boost his trade value?  Plus, stripping him of a letter would signal to the rest of the league that Canes almost have to trade him, which might lower incoming offers. 

From the perspective of my couch, Faulk is low on my list of best Canes to wear a letter.  But, if the committee is committed to trading him, which hopefully they are, I can see it making sense from a strategic perspective.   Then fill in with Slavin when the deal is done.

• Like 1

Even though it is rough to give it up, there is the advantage that Williams got to come in and get established without just taking it. Now it should be pretty unified that he's the guy.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Plus, stripping him of a letter would signal to the rest of the league that Canes almost have to trade him, which might lower incoming offers. 

Yeah, this has to be a marketing decision. Please. God.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I think that Faulk got the A in order not to embarrass him.

Rem in all honesty can you say either Brindy or Dundon strike you as guys who worry about embarrassing someone if they thought they were either unworthy or the wrong person?  This was the smart choice. Was it the right choice. We will find out.

16 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Rem in all honesty can you say either Brindy or Dundon strike you as guys who worry about embarrassing someone if they thought they were either unworthy or the wrong person?  This was the smart choice. Was it the right choice. We will find out.

Generally I agree with you. The signals so far have not been subtle. Especially after the unceremonious way they moved Skinner for not playing the right way. But at least Skinner is gone. Faulk is still here, and to strip him entirely while letting Staal have an A, in the face of all of the trade talk would be rough. Also, as Lake pointed out, could drop his trade value. Still, if Brind'Amour and Dundon thought Faulk was as much of the problem as Skinner, they would have still stripped him of all letters. I tend to think it was more of a case of he's not bad enough to embarrass him, and we're moving him anyways, and it's an A, not a C,  but that's a pure guess. 

I guess I just wonder if Faulk really gets a pass when Skinner and Hanifin and probably Lindholm are moved out as part of the problem. I know I've lost my love for Faulk, and it could be clouding my vision, but long term, when they talk about guys that have been here a long time and not won, and don't "do the things that lead to winning" I see a picture of Faulk. 

That said, if they do move him, problem solved pass the A to Slavin or one of the other guys.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

I guess I just wonder if Faulk really gets a pass when Skinner and Hanifin and probably Lindholm are moved out as part of the problem.

I don't think anybody on this team will get a pass. A Faulk trade is still possible but he is as likely to stick for reasons many here can't see.