The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

GDT Sept 13, 14, 15, 16 Hurricane Florence

Yeah, I know this isn't hockey, but I felt the main board is the central location.  I hope all my Caniac friends are safe for the upcoming wrath of God.  It really doesn't look like there's anywhere to run and hide. 

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 7

The guidance is changing a bit.  We need to watch this closely.  A Staal off the coast may allow weakening before landfall.

Not saying it will be a picnic!  And "Staal" + "hurricane" = massive floods.

4 hours ago, wxray1 said:

The guidance is changing a bit.  We need to watch this closely.  A Staal off the coast may allow weakening before landfall.

Not saying it will be a picnic!  And "Staal" + "hurricane" = massive floods.

Yes, Staal always looked slow!! But seriously, this is a monster, and as I reflected over on another site, is eerily similar to hurricane Camille back in 1969, which decimated the Miss/La coast with havoc for years later.

5 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

What a nightmare.

Amen brotha. Hope you're heading out. Too dangerous to mess with.

6 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I hope all my Caniac friends are safe for the upcoming wrath of God. 

Thanks Dave--er, Jim. Maybe snow isn't so bad after all.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yes, Staal always looked slow!! But seriously, this is a monster, and as I reflected over on another site, is eerily similar to hurricane Camille back in 1969, which decimated the Miss/La coast with havoc for years later.

?

You guys won't believe me, but that was a brain slip!  When on the hockey board, I always type "Staal".

Hilarious!

And please, no Camille like storm.  That will cut islands in two.

Edited by wxray1

It looks like the path is shifting big time.  It’s going to linger in Wilmington then head west into SC and eventually Northern GA.  It doesn’t look like the eye will go near Raleigh unless the storm takes a hard NNW turn tomorrow.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

It looks like the path is shifting big time.  It’s going to linger in Wilmington then head west into SC and eventually Northern GA.  It doesn’t look like the eye will go near Raleigh unless the storm takes a hard NNW turn tomorrow.  

I'll believe the new track if it holds (or deepens) tomorrow. That high over the Dakotas is the key. How fast it moves east will tell the tale.

What's pretty amazing is that we're still two days from landfall and the tropical storm wind field is already nearly as big as the whole state.

Mrs. Coastal and I have battened down the hatches here in Edenton and are staying.  Knowing all the water is coming to us if you are familiar with wind tides, which mostly govern sound tide levels up here above Hatteras and Ocracoke.  We are up on an old beach ridge so I'm not worried about storm surge but mostly drainage of my property to the sound.

• Like 2

Just now, coastal_caniac said:

Mrs. Coastal and I have battened down the hatches here in Edenton and are staying.  Knowing all the water is coming to us if you are familiar with wind tides, which mostly govern sound tide levels up here above Hatteras and Ocracoke.  We are up on an old beach ridge so I'm not worried about storm surge but mostly drainage of my property to the sound.

Okay buddy. Be safe.

1 minute ago, coastal_caniac said:

You do the same don't get run over in traffic.

We're mostly ahead of it. We're overnighting near 74 and then out to Hickory. If the surge projections are right we'll probably lose the house and shop, but that's why God created insurance. Or Lucifer, I'm still not sure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Don't take this the wrong way but this could be the Hurricane Florence GDT.  I'm up for giving updates as much or as long as I can.

Just be smart and careful. We had to go; besides the surge, there's just too many big trees close by.

7 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'd argue that logic if I had a better idea of where to go.  It's coming for all of us.  As long as you are sure of the flooding issue, I guess one place is as much of a crap shoot as another.  Latest tracking has it taking a more westerly track once it hits land, which will help with the wind in Edenton and me in Rocky Mount...IF that is the final track.  One thing that I do know you can count on in a hurricane is that you can't count on predicted tracks.

Edited by super_dave_1

4 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

One thing that I do know you can count on in a hurricane is that you can't count on predicted tracks.

That's for sure.  Forecasting this Staal and turn is tricky.

Good luck to you guys down at the coast.   If the latest holds, Raleigh may end up only with a windy rain.  Time will tell.

Edit: the board software keep changing it to Staal.  I guess it is like *edit*. 

Edited by wxray1

5 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I'd argue that logic if I had a better idea of where to go.  It's coming for all of us.  As long as you are sure of the flooding issue, I guess one place is as much of a crap shoot as another.  Latest tracking has it taking a more westerly track once it hits land, which will help with the wind in Edenton and me in Rocky Mount...IF that is the final track.  One thing that I do know you can count on in a hurricane is that you can't count on predicted tracks.

Yeah the where to go thing is a problem.  I'm planning on riding this one out in Wilmington.  We're in suburbia off of 132 below UNC Wilmington, so away from rivers and creeks.  And the dilemma for me - my getaway is a Bryson City cabin.  It's up the mountain 500 vertical feet or so and 2 miles from the river.  From what I'm seeing, if northern Georgia is impacted, then so am I there.

BTW, SD, any idea where Jim Cantore is hanging out this week?

1 hour ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Yeah the where to go thing is a problem.  I'm planning on riding this one out in Wilmington.  We're in suburbia off of 132 below UNC Wilmington, so away from rivers and creeks.  And the dilemma for me - my getaway is a Bryson City cabin.  It's up the mountain 500 vertical feet or so and 2 miles from the river.  From what I'm seeing, if northern Georgia is impacted, then so am I there.

BTW, SD, any idea where Jim Cantore is hanging out this week?

Cough, cough...Wilmington

http://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20180911/jim-cantore-talks-memes-very-dangerous-florence-outlook

I'm riding out the storm here in Clinton, with the threat more from the waters that surround this area, and very high likelihood that we'll effectively be cut off from outside by water covering all ingress. Power failure also poses a problem as no relief if trucks can't get in to repair. On work front, already had 2 non-storm related bodies needing autopsy, so hope the storm doesn't add. Getting ready to go face the 2nd as I write!! My prayers remain for you all. Be safe