The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

GDT Sept 13, 14, 15, 16 Hurricane Florence

Here I sit in Asheville. I would of rather stayed at home especially with the southward trend of the storm but the fury of Florence is no match for the fury of my wife, Hurricane Annie. After three days of almost nonstop battering I acquiesced. 

Evacuating isn't for cowards. Traveling with a dog and a cat  pushes the limits of sanity. I knew that the normal 7 or 71/2 hour trip would take longer since my dog requires more rest area stops than my aging bladder but I wasn't expecting the  10 hour marathon I would encounter. Having waited for the tourists to leave the OBX before I packed up the car and pumped gas until the gauge read far away I hit the road. It was pretty much clear sailing until Raleigh when from what I could determine all of Onslow county and points south and east joined the forced march inland. Slow going from Raleigh to High Point and bumper to bumper at a snails pace much of the way. It was around High Point when Hurricane Annie roared, "this was a bad idea". I took the path of silence. The best path I think when facing an impending crisis.

Now don't misunderstand me. Fleeing in the face of a storm that had and still has the potential damage of Florence is the wise move. It just wasn't in my case under the current forecast conditions for the Outer Banks my preferred move. At the moment I'm settled in at my sons house. I will enjoy the mountain experience. If flooding rain doesn't cut me off from my return route to the Outer Banks I will be back at the beach soon enough.

I wish everyone well and hope you stay safe.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Here I sit in Asheville. I would of rather stayed at home especially with the southward trend of the storm but the fury of Florence is no match for the fury of my wife, Hurricane Annie. After three days of almost nonstop battering I acquiesced. 

Evacuating isn't for cowards. Traveling with a dog and a cat  pushes the limits of sanity. I knew that the normal 7 or 71/2 hour trip would take longer since my dog requires more rest area stops than my aging bladder but I wasn't expecting the  10 hour marathon I would encounter. Having waited for the tourists to leave the OBX before I packed up the car and pumped gas until the gauge read far away I hit the road. It was pretty much clear sailing until Raleigh when from what I could determine all of Onslow county and points south and east joined the forced march inland. Slow going from Raleigh to High Point and bumper to bumper at a snails pace much of the way. It was around High Point when Hurricane Annie roared, "this was a bad idea". I took the path of silence. The best path I think when facing an impending crisis.

Now don't misunderstand me. Fleeing in the face of a storm that had and still has the potential damage of Florence is the wise move. It just wasn't in my case under the current forecast conditions for the Outer Banks my preferred move. At the moment I'm settled in at my sons house. I will enjoy the mountain experience. If flooding rain doesn't cut me off from my return route to the Outer Banks I will be back at the beach soon enough.

I wish everyone well and hope you stay safe.

Still sticking here in Wilmington. 

You might want to keep an eye (no pun intended) on the local weather - you may have remnants up that way in a few days.  I watch Asheville weather because of my cabin in Bryson City, an hour west of Asheville.  Bryson and Wilmington, a potential double whammy.

Let's all come out of this safely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Still sticking here in Wilmington. 

You might want to keep an eye (no pun intended) on the local weather - you may have remnants up that way in a few days.  I watch Asheville weather because of my cabin in Bryson City, an hour west of Asheville.  Bryson and Wilmington, a potential double whammy.

Let's all come out of this safely.

Oh man keep your head down and your life jacket on. Stay safe.

I have been watching the weather for the mountains. It could get interesting on Saturday.

40 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Oh man keep your head down and your life jacket on. Stay safe.

I have been watching the weather for the mountains. It could get interesting on Saturday.

Yeah, and the trip back to OBX may be as interesting as your trip out to Asheville.  After Matthew, we went from Wilmington to Bryson on US74.  Roads flooded near Lumberton.  The detour and backtrack almost put us in Myrtle Beach to find an open road to use.  Oh for the days before GPS, when you carried paper maps, usually free from a gas station.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OBXer said:

It was around High Point when Hurricane Annie roared, "this was a bad idea". I took the path of silence.

:lol:

So far so good here OBXer.  Worst winds are supposed to come overnight into tomorrow - so they keep telling me.

A squal coming thru Rocky Mount now. I’m taking advantage of my favorite brewery being open a few hours tonight to have a good beer. Between prepping at home and at work, I need a beer

OBXer, thanks for clearing that mystery up for me. I couldn't figure out why I encountered so little traffic when I left Onslow. I cut cross country to Lumberton got to my in-laws outside Savannah around noon yesterday. I walked in to my wife watching the reports on the Euro model and the southerly shift indicating it could end up making landfall down here. When she was getting insistent on leaving, I wasn't going to argue and make things worse. To be fair, I was concerned about it not losing strength and hitting west of us as we have 2 French doors and a big screen porch that face south. If this storm followed it's original track and strength as the media predicted, I could see my roof kiting away.

So I sent my wife out Tuesday with our daughter, 4 cats and the puppy and I left yesterday with the other 2 big dogs after securing as much as I can. Our house should be safe from flooding and  no big trees close by so I am just worrying about stupid neighbors not securing things and possible thieves. Ultimately the family is safe so the important stuff is covered. Prayers will be with everyone who couldn't make it to safe areas.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OBXer said:

Traveling with a dog and a cat  pushes the limits of sanity.

FOUR cats (and two alleged adults) hunkered here in Hickory. Mrs. Shelf rescued these brothers from Greenville last week. That's Jake on the right, Elwood left.

image.thumb.png.5caa4a0944d0411a2a849b7d530623ae.png

• Like 1

In very southern Va. The winds are just starting to pick up, but we are going to miss anything real bad. Was supposed to meet guys from all over the east in Bryson city for a motorcycle M&G but they waived it off and moved it to Eureka Springs Arkansas. To far for me to go for a weekend. Anyway everyone stay safe hope no one has to deal with any major damage. Puck drops soon hope everyone can get settled back in for the start of the season.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 10:50 AM, cc said:

I hate media hype.  You would think this is the 1st friggin hurricane ever to hit this state.

For those of us who live at the coast, this isn't "hype." This is a life- and property-threatening event and the "media hype" you so revile has (in this case) been (1) spot on, and (2) the only way we can keep apprised of the situation. 

If you don't like hearing about it, your remote comes with two buttons that can help: One turns the TV off, and the other CHANGES THE CHANNEL. That's right, you can actually STOP WATCHING. 

13 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

So far, so good in Rocky Mount.  Just some bands coming through.

The water in Oriental reportedly topped out an inch higher than Irene. Hard to be sure from here in Hickory, but that would mean the house stayed dry (barring tree damage)--by about six inches. The office and shop probably got wet (both are closer to grade). Much better than it could have been, but only because Flo took that slight turn southward. Still holding my breath on trees and limbs, though. 

I just saw that Swan Quarter and Washington NC are now flooding. The TV station in Washington was forced to evacuate. New Bern seems to be a mess with dangerous flooding.

I'm high and dry in the mountains and plan to skedaddle early tomorrow to beat the forecast rain yet to come to western NC. Outer Banks bridges to reopen to residents tomorrow morning. Of course that will depend on the storm doing what it is forecast to do.

Swan Quarter is fine, just spoke with the County manager and the dike held wonderfully.  Most of Hyde County is fine except for the Scranton area which has some water.

Top good to hear about the conditions in Oriental, hoping you come out as well as can be expected.

A few limbs and leaves down in Edenton, I have had worse thunderstorms.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Swan Quarter is fine, just spoke with the County manager and the dike held wonderfully.  Most of Hyde County is fine except for the Scranton area which has some water.

Top good to hear about the conditions in Oriental, hoping you come out as well as can be expected.

A few limbs and leaves down in Edenton, I have had worse thunderstorms.

Thanks for the update coastal. Very difficult to follow from here. WLOS Asheville reported the Washington NC flooding and evacuation of the tv station there. I haven't seen images yet.

30 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Thanks for the update coastal. Very difficult to follow from here. WLOS Asheville reported the Washington NC flooding and evacuation of the tv station there. I haven't seen images yet.

I know the ABC affiliate in New Bern evacuated last night. It is well up Middle Street in the front (street-facing) office of a pedestrian mall.

We too are looking to get out of the west now, but how soon we get home depends on the utility situation in Oriental. Some leaks are reported in the town water system, and to my knowledge the power is still out. Fortunately we have peeps in Raleigh, so we'll likely head there next for a night or two.

19 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I know the ABC affiliate in New Bern evacuated last night. It is well up Middle Street in the front (street-facing) office of a pedestrian mall.

We too are looking to get out of the west now, but how soon we get home depends on the utility situation in Oriental. Some leaks are reported in the town water system, and to my knowledge the power is still out. Fortunately we have peeps in Raleigh, so we'll likely head there next for a night or two.

Stay safe. I'm hoping to leave Asheville tomorrow morning but that depends on road conditions in the middle of the state. A lot of tropical storm conditions possible being posted for tomorrow mid state.

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

For those of us who live at the coast, this isn't "hype." This is a life- and property-threatening event and the "media hype" you so revile has (in this case) been (1) spot on, and (2) the only way we can keep apprised of the situation. 

If you don't like hearing about it, your remote comes with two buttons that can help: One turns the TV off, and the other CHANGES THE CHANNEL. That's right, you can actually STOP WATCHING. 

I dont want to speak for the others on this but I think you took him wrong. We all know this is a major disaster for any and everyone on the coast. However the major media outlets made this seem like it would bury the whole east coast and no one would survive. Here I am 4.5 hours from the southern Va coast and Wednesday there was no bottled water, no batteries, gas station with empty tanks, ect. ect.. That was in fact media hype. We all feel for you coasties and hope you are safe and well and come away as unscathed as possible, but to think that the media didnt drive hysteria hundreds of miles inland is a little off base. Also for those within range of the other weather it brings we do want to see the coverage, we dont want to change the channel and not hear about it, we would just like a little more honesty in the coverage. Instead of a full week driving the majority of Va, NC, and SC into a frenzy they could have easily waited until its path a a little more set. We all knew well in advance the coast would be effected so did the media, what was unknown was what would happen after it got close to land. If they held off on the hype they created till today for the inlanders (like myself and the Raleigh area) they could tell us that the southern track of the storm has spared us and instead of everyone running out of every day things we could have went along business as usual. 

Seriously we hope you and anyone else that has to deal with this come out in the best shape possible.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

I dont want to speak for the others on this but I think you took him wrong. We all know this is a major disaster for any and everyone on the coast. However the major media outlets made this seem like it would bury the whole east coast and no one would survive. Here I am 4.5 hours from the southern Va coast and Wednesday there was no bottled water, no batteries, gas station with empty tanks, ect. ect.. That was in fact media hype. We all feel for you coasties and hope you are safe and well and come away as unscathed as possible, but to think that the media didnt drive hysteria hundreds of miles inland is a little off base. Also for those within range of the other weather it brings we do want to see the coverage, we dont want to change the channel and not hear about it, we would just like a little more honesty in the coverage. Instead of a full week driving the majority of Va, NC, and SC into a frenzy they could have easily waited until its path a a little more set. We all knew well in advance the coast would be effected so did the media, what was unknown was what would happen after it got close to land. If they held off on the hype they created till today for the inlanders (like myself and the Raleigh area) they could tell us that the southern track of the storm has spared us and instead of everyone running out of every day things we could have went along business as usual. 

Seriously we hope you and anyone else that has to deal with this come out in the best shape possible.  

Top lives in Oriental, and it was reported that they had 18 inches of rain, so far. There are numerous others on this forum that live in Eastern NC. This is not hype to them. At this point, there are 5 reported deaths. It was not hype to them. The storm weakened, but flooding is, and will be a real threat for a good while. The original forecast for the Piedmont was for up to 15" of rain, and thankfully, the path has changed, and the forecast has improved. This storm had the potential to be as destructive as Hugo, and no amount of "hype" would be enough to describe the destruction that occurred during that storm. I lived in Charlotte when Hugo hit Charleston, and we had power outages that lasted weeks. Consider yourself lucky that this storm didn't live up to the "hype" up where you live, but it's going to be around for several more days.

I for one and glad it turned out the be over hyped and not hyped just right.  I'm happy to not have received the brunt of the storm that I'd have seen if it had taken the path predicted last weekend.  Yeah, people over react, but if the media didn't report, then people would be complaining about not being prepared.  There was a run on items, but the stuff I bought is all stuff I needed anyway, but maybe not all at one time.  People don't need to buy as much water as they buy, but they do it anyway.  I fill up a few plastic tubs that I had anyway.  I bought one extra case of bottled water but we'll use that.  Filled gas cans that can be used in the cars now.  I got my generator going that I haven't used in years, but hurricane season isn't over and then winter storms are on the horizon.  I needed to do that anyway.  My generator had gotten buried in the corner of the garage.  Now it's sitting in a usable spot and ready to go.  Beer and liquor, no need to worry about that.  Non-perishable food is non-perishable.  I got my gutters cleaned out and some stuff picked up around the yard.  The yard will look better anyway.

Being "over hyped" made me do a few things I needed to do anyway.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 4