The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

GDT Sept 13, 14, 15, 16 Hurricane Florence

3 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

We all knew well in advance the coast would be effected so did the media, what was unknown was what would happen after it got close to land. If they held off on the hype they created till today for the inlanders (like myself and the Raleigh area) they could tell us that the southern track of the storm has spared us and instead of everyone running out of every day things we could have went along business as usual.

Maybe you've forgotten, but until Monday/Tuesday all the models were showing this going right up through Raleigh, not completely circumventing it. It seems you want the local (Raleigh/CLT) media to say, "Okay, we're in the clear," and ignore what's happening in their own state, even as Florence affects 90 percent of it. Good luck with that.

Heard from the neighbor earlier today. No major structural damage for me in Jacksonville. Lost a couple of fence panels and probably some shingles. Waiting to hear about ETA for power returning and road conditions before deciding on when to head back, as I have to "cross the T" to get home.

• Like 2

Evening Caniac from Jacksonville - Conversation this morning-between my son who stayed at Oak Island and myself who stayed in Jacksonville -After spending an entire night in pitch dark with winds well over 100 miles an hour and driving pounding relentless rains- in Jacksonville -Son: Mom how are you and dad -Me: Beyond Grateful -no words- Son: yeah Mom were going to be ok here too-it’s just starting to crank up here but a 2/1 is doable- Son again-hey Mom you know we both would have made a bad decision in staying put had this storm come in as a 4 ...Me: yes son I know and agree -Grateful for all the people who listened and evacuated - Grateful for the local governments who had the guts to make the calls in both North and South Carolina to evacuate people-you have no idea how many people that actually is who live on or near the coast-there would have been no way possible to save lives had they “waited” for the storm to make up,its mind-Hurricanes have been and will always be unpredictable-Florence at a 3-2-1 has been and continues to be extremely distructive with loss of life -and still causing major flooding and destruction... Media Hype-maybe but this time it worked in a good way...and people listened - Next time ...I will be in the mountains-Thanking God for covering us and giving us another day-

Let the cleanup begin ??

• Like 1

Hugo was the game changer for many of us.

It was supposed to come through Raleigh, but instead whacked Charlotte, completely unexpectedly.  Even in Raleigh, where we expected it, most of us barely did anything.

Ask anyone in Charlotte who survived Hugo how they felt about their blind bliss of preparedness...

When Fran came, Raleigh had seen what happened in Charlotte, and even heard from the Hazel veterans.  Preparedness was much better.  And then, after the storm... Nobody felt prepared.

The only downside to the hype is it caused water and gas to drain fast.  People were really panicky for a day or two, even though the shelves were restocking and the gas was flowing again.  It did cause quite a bit of multi-day angst during this shortage time.

Now, I hope ya'll down east be safe.  These floods are going to be very serious.  And to my friends in ILM who likely cannot respond due to lack of power, we send our prayers and good thoughts.

23 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

For those of us who live at the coast, this isn't "hype." This is a life- and property-threatening event and the "media hype" you so revile has (in this case) been (1) spot on, and (2) the only way we can keep apprised of the situation. 

If you don't like hearing about it, your remote comes with two buttons that can help: One turns the TV off, and the other CHANGES THE CHANNEL. That's right, you can actually STOP WATCHING. 

Whatever . Just for the record the hype I speak of is not prior to impact but during landfall. The news uses disaster to get people to watch which magnifies fear. No need to yell.

Edited by cc

Update from Jacksonville NC-still raining-still no power-water still rising -still dry- (for now) This to shall pass- And- Finally a REAL CAPTAIN!

Keep the Prayers coming !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Serious subject, but that's funny.  :lol:

Adding my best wishes to all who are affected by the storm!

Very serious and many areas devastated. In some areas the worst is yet to come with severe flooding. 2 days of rain in Raleigh with no damage. Haven't seen my place in EI yet but might have escaped again with just limited damage. The Sound side took the majority of the pain again. The pier in Atlantic beach is gone and the pier in Emerald Isle lost three sections. 

6 hours ago, cc said:

the hype I speak of is not prior to impact but during landfall. The news uses disaster to get people to watch which magnifies fear.

Hey, if some idiot standing outside in a hurricane yelling into a mic helps keep the rest of the idiots inside/away/hunkered down, I don't see it as a bad thing. To each his own.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I don't think it was over hyped although this guy doesn't support my thoughts, https://9gag.com/gag/aR35grq?ref=fbp

Yeah my daughter showed me that. It seems pretty non controversial to call that fake news. Hilarious, until you realize that someone in the group of people insisting we take their warnings seriously actually made the decision to fake that part of the news. 

My references to "hype" are like the comment on the weather channel a couple minutes ago about Wilmington "about to get whacked" by another 8-11 inches of rain. Why can't the commentator just state that Wilmington is forecasted for another 8-11 inches of rain tonight? Why did no major media source mention that the euro model was inconsistently showing a turn to the south? Journalists should be giving us a lot of information with a little commentary, instead they prefer a lot of commentary with a little information. Watching Jim Cantore is like watching William Shatner play Captain Kirk, majorly overdone drama. We used to have a meteorologist in Wilmington who would give the forecast as what was likely and the less likely extremes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

Why did no major media source mention that the euro model was inconsistently showing a turn to the south? 

The European modeling indicating a possible turn south was widely reported.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Very serious and many areas devastated. In some areas the worst is yet to come with severe flooding. 2 days of rain in Raleigh with no damage. Haven't seen my place in EI yet but might have escaped again with just limited damage. The Sound side took the majority of the pain again. The pier in Atlantic beach is gone and the pier in Emerald Isle lost three sections. 

Oceanna in Atlantic Beach? Early during the storm I saw some video of it at high tide, and thought no way it survives 2 days of this. I think that was the last pier in AB.

34 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I think that was the last pier in AB.

There was still one at the (former) Sheraton (now Doubletree). I'll be surprised if both were not lost.

5 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Oceanna in Atlantic Beach? Early during the storm I saw some video of it at high tide, and thought no way it survives 2 days of this. I think that was the last pier in AB.

The end of the Oceanna pier is gone along with the Barnacle bar. Bogue Inlet Pier lost three sections but is mostly intact including the observation deck.

Just sticking my head up from the island known as Wilmington.  Unless you have a boat or plane, you can't get here from there.  We fared well, many of my neighbors did not.  Trees fell the right way.  Power out to 75% of county down from 85.  I belong to both groups.  No food, no fuel and no way to bring an18 wheeler in, so am stretching what I've got.  Using the Beirut plan for power, only on for a few hours a day.  Had no cell signal Friday(?) but up now.  Internet? Fuggedaboutit.

Almost saw the sun today.  Could have been a bright cloud.

Hope everyone else is safe.

Thinking about asking Santa for dry clothes.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Just sticking my head up from the island known as Wilmington.  Unless you have a boat or plane, you can't get here from there.  We fared well, many of my neighbors did not.  Trees fell the right way.  Power out to 75% of county down from 85.  I belong to both groups.  No food, no fuel and no way to bring an18 wheeler in, so am stretching what I've got.  Using the Beirut plan for power, only on for a few hours a day.  Had no cell signal Friday(?) but up now.  Internet? Fuggedaboutit.

Glad it wasn't worse, sounds like it still might be awhile, though.  Best of luck to you and all other Caniacs dealing with the effects of Fran!

50 minutes ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Hang in there. The recovery is going to take awhile for this one. I have damage in Emerald Isle but it will be quite awhile before I can even get there to start repairs. The open sky roof doesn't work out to well in the rain. 

1 hour ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

No food, no fuel and no way to bring an18 wheeler in, so am stretching what I've got.  Using the Beirut plan for power, only on for a few hours a day.

I've been in this situation.  It's tough.  Keep your chin up.  Find things you can do and keep busy, that helps.

25 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Hang in there. The recovery is going to take awhile for this one. I have damage in Emerald Isle but it will be quite awhile before I can even get there to start repairs. The open sky roof doesn't work out to well in the rain. 

Well, sounds like I may have been spared from flooding in Jacksonviler from what the neighbor said. Lost some fence panels and won't know about roof leaks until I can get back from the in-laws in Georgia. If my house survived well, I may have some free time to give you a hand as it sounds like Jacksonville Mall will be closed for a while. Being a manager at Barnes & Noble, I know how many leaks I frequently report during regular rain storms and I suspect it looks like someone set off the sprinkler system in our store and much of the mall.

2 hours ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Using the Beirut plan for power, only on for a few hours a day.

The important thing is that you are safe. I have been in that situation. Very uncomfortable at times. Hang in there.

32 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The important thing is that you are safe. I have been in that situation. Very uncomfortable at times. Hang in there.

Hey, I'm here with all fingers and toes and know I dodged a bullet.  The blue gray lady is mine.  Look to the left and you'll see the tree that fell to the East. Back in the bertha through floyd years the result would have been very much different, those all came up from the south.

Now I get to help a daughter with cleanup close by, and another daughter and grands if and when they get back to Hampstead later in the week.

20180916_104951_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/16/2018 at 10:07 PM, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Hey, I'm here with all fingers and toes and know I dodged a bullet.  The blue gray lady is mine.  Look to the left and you'll see the tree that fell to the East. Back in the bertha through floyd years the result would have been very much different, those all came up from the south.

Now I get to help a daughter with cleanup close by, and another daughter and grands if and when they get back to Hampstead later in the week.

20180916_104951_HDR.jpg

Good to hear especially in Wilmington.