The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

GDT Sept 13, 14, 15, 16 Hurricane Florence

On 9/16/2018 at 8:02 PM, DevildogKodi said:

Well, sounds like I may have been spared from flooding in Jacksonviler from what the neighbor said. Lost some fence panels and won't know about roof leaks until I can get back from the in-laws in Georgia. If my house survived well, I may have some free time to give you a hand as it sounds like Jacksonville Mall will be closed for a while. Being a manager at Barnes & Noble, I know how many leaks I frequently report during regular rain storms and I suspect it looks like someone set off the sprinkler system in our store and much of the mall.

Thanks for the offer! I will probably be headed East in the next day or two. I need to access the damage as soon as possible.

Hey gang. I hope everyone is safe. I’ve been housing family up here from NC while trying to help other families members remotely. What a disaster ? Hope all Caniacs are reporting for duty safe and in one piece. Thoughts and prayers for those still impacted.

• Like 1

No power, traffic lights still out, looking for fuel, limited grocery stores.  Best guess for restoration 9/23 11:45pm.  Region11.  Looking at a red county on a map where nothing else is red.  Keep pushing Duke power.  50% plus restored, we look like the red headed stepchild.

Big (50-foot plus) tree was felled in our yard. Tore up the octagon deck I built around it. It missed the shop and office (its bole was less than a foot from the building's eaves), but clipped the corner of the house, 20-plus feet away--right where the electric comes in from the street. Crinkled the steel roof just a tad at the edge, but otherwise missed everything. We were very lucky; wider reports from Oriental are of significant damage. South Avenue, right on the Neuse, was destroyed, along with the large granite-boldered breakwater that buttressed it, and the town's fishing pier. Could be Friday or later before power to the town is fully restored.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Big (50-foot plus) tree was felled in our yard. Tore up the octagon deck I built around it. It missed the shop and office (its bole was less than a foot from the building's eaves), but clipped the corner of the house, 20-plus feet away--right where the electric comes in from the street. Crinkled the steel roof just a tad at the edge, but otherwise missed everything. We were very lucky; wider reports from Oriental are of significant damage. South Avenue, right on the Neuse, was destroyed, along with the large granite-boldered breakwater that buttressed it, and the town's fishing pier. Could be Friday or later before power to the town is fully restored.

Glad to read about another dodged bullet.  Still no movement in our neighborhood.  45K still out in county including us.  Outage map calling for full restoration 9/23.  This is feeling more and more like a loooong offseason without hockey.

• Like 2

The images from southeast and south central North Carolina are heartbreaking. The frustration caused after the storm by what in my experience is a slow and methodical restoration of infrastructure can be at times overwhelming. Knowing it is dictated by circumstance and that crews and volunteers are working as hard as they can is only a small comfort. Here on the Outer Banks our damage will mostly be an economic loss for businesses. We dodged the bullet.

People here are collecting supplies, sending emergency teams and  keeping all of you that were impacted in our thoughts. I can only hope you will be able to return to some sort of normalcy soon.

• Like 2

Been a long day. Drove back in to Jacksonville today and began cleaning up. Unfortunately the roof didn't hold well and we sprang some leaks. Part of the ceiling fell in, luckily in the garage, and we have some spots on the ceiling and the wall around the fireplace has mildew/mold growing. Overall, we came out easy compared to others so I am not complaining. My wife didn't handle it too well, until I reminded her that it's just a building, we have insurance for a reason, and she has wanted to redo the mantle and fireplace since we bought the house. We angled in from 95 to Myrtle Beach then up 17 and passed houses flooded and others clearly unlivable, it was heartbreaking to see.

• Like 1

Flood adjuster came today. Still waiting on the wind person. A local commercial fishing crew looking for work while in port helped us get cleaned up, and my hat's off to them. Great group.

I want to stress for folks even thinking of stepping into floodwaters, the hog waste (and now coal ash, it seems) are quite literally lethal. We had a man up the street lose his leg after getting in the muck (known locally as "Neuse Juice") with a leg wound. It quickly became infected, and amputation was the only option. Use boots and waders; if you don't have 'em, get 'em.

Check this out:

The fish had been all over the road.  I've never seen or heard of this happening.  This was a few miles north of Wilmington.

Edited by g105

1 hour ago, g105 said:

Check this out:

The fish had been all over the road.  I've never seen or heard of this happening.  This was a few miles north of Wilmington.

Are they saltwater fish? Or maybe freshwater killed by the spike in salinity when the estuary moved inland?