The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Starting the season off right - Rask out indefinitely

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Did anyone hear that Mzarek broke his hand during practice?

Cory Lavalette said he did come to the bench after stopping a redirected shot.  He was shaking his hand and grimacing.  But was looked at by the staff but returned quickly.  Unless it is a break that cant be palpated (unlikely as pain would be apparent as trainers push on the bones), he is probably fine.  If so, im sure if it remains painful then a scan will happen eventually.

Edited by gocanes0506

15 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I would like to think Duchene is available but with a big injury to JPG, they won’t want to guarantee Hughes to the Avalanche.

Well, Rask out, Pesce has mystery injury, Mzarek May have a broken hand and by some reports, Darling already struggling...maybe we will be in running for Hughes. Hope not, but it’s not like we were deep to start with.

18 hours ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Pesce has a "lung issue" according to Brindy

Still falls in the mystery category to me.  For a young man, this is not usual.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

We’ve got so many prospects, and a glut of defensemen. Especially without Rask for much of the season, it’s time to trade for a top 6 center. Overpay if necessary.

I hear this, agree with it, and support it. But good luck finding a team willing to give up one of its top two Cs three weeks before the season starts in exchange for a lick and a promise.

And this is where the timing of the Skinner trade - the boneheadedness of which I noted at the time - is fully revealed. If that asset were still here, we'd have something of proven value to offer in exchange. Not anymore. So I really don't give a *edit* how much Brindy or Cole or Willy or anybody else hated him and wanted him "just gone," because you know what? By acting rashly on pure emotion, they screwed themselves. And you know what else? It totally serves 'em right.

Here's hoping Dundon learns from the mistake and lets Brindy know that he's the freakin' coach--not the GM. Managing assets is completely different from managing players, and better management of the asset that was Jeff Skinner would have given this team a much better return for him now - when it really needs one - than it was ever going to, six weeks ago. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:07 PM, legend-1 said:

Live footage leading up to the injury

I was thinking more along the lines of SNL- Julia Child skit...."Save the liver!"

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I was thinking more along the lines of SNL- Julia Child skit...."Save the liver!"

I was thinking the same thing and was going to post the video but it's over 5m long.  Ain't nobody got time for that!

"Oh, now I've done it - I've cut the dickens out of my finger!"

Edited by LakeLivin

With Rask out Wallmark should get a golden look:

https://www.canescountry.com/2018/9/17/17868004/victor-rask-injury-open-a-door-for-lucas-wallmark-carolina-hurricanes-nhl-training-camp

Wallmark needs to make the most of this. He has shown high end ability in the AHL but so far been unable to translate it to the NHL. I felt he should have gotten the 4C job last year. He has so far been unable to impress at the NHL level so this might be his best and last big chance.

He is a good two way player, and if we set it up right might be able to get some points from the 4th line.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, remkin said:

He has so far been unable to impress at the NHL level so this might be his best and last big chance.

Dude. He has 19 career games, split between two seasons, and just - literally, Sept. 5 - turned 23. He hasn't had a big chance yet, so how can this be his last one?

41 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Dude. He has 19 career games, split between two seasons, and just - literally, Sept. 5 - turned 23. He hasn't had a big chance yet, so how can this be his last one?

First, use of the word "might" was intentional. I'm not predicting he wouldn't get another shot.

Second, I'm saying he might not get another chance after this season. 

If he gets a big chance and cannot convert at the NHL level, it would be a lot more than 19 games. If he got say, 50 games this year, that would be essentially 70 games without being able to make it happen at the NHL level, and he'd be 24 next year. If he faulters and gets sent back down and drops off some in the AHL, then also 24 next year. 

These are not the "Bowman/Boychuk paper thin depth in the system" days. There are a lot of talented guys who will likely be ready to push up next year and not necessarily that many open slots. Further, we have D depth that could be traded for even better forwards well before next year starts. Further this is a 4th round pick, so he's not likely to get the Boychuk number of chances. 

Still, I like Wallmark and I think he can put it together and make a statement this year. And if he doesn't he still likely gets another shot. But he might not.