The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Long Live the Whale

I want one. I do. And I will wear it often. I’m actually super excited about this and while I was expecting it until the third jerseys were released. This caught me off guard a bit. I’m super salty I moved to California. I won’t be able to go to the home opener this year, nor to Whalers night. And I’ll have games starting at like 4pm for me. And of course, this will be the year we rise from the ashes of the failures of the past decade.

5 minutes ago, OBXer said:

What are the chances Ronnie Franchise is invited to drop the ceremonial puck?

francis.jpg

:coollaugh::rofl:

Maybe Glen Wesley too?

EDIT: Chris Pronger is pretty bored these days.

Edited by SuckaPunchd
  • Like 2

Despite some good moves with the player roster this makes no sense.

New team, new owner, new coach.  What is one of the first things they do to establish THEIR name on the franchise?  Honor the failure of it previously.  Next we should have a "throwback" to the great successes of the Greensboro days.  

Maybe they will sale enough sweaters to be happy about it.  

This would have been fine in another year.  Just not the first one.  

I have NO desire to ever see my Canes in a Whalers Jersey. You want to make money then sell them on the internet. So much negative crap comes up about the Canes leaving Hartford. We don’t have to forget where we came from but wearing them for 2 games is rediculous imo. I’m looking to a bright future with this exciting group. Would rather see 2 extra games of them dressed in the Take Warning jerseys. Sorry for the long rant but this really caught me by surprise. 

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

At least put a Hurricane patch on that sweater.

Agree totally-  I did not my Hartford  Whalers Jersey(not the New England One)

27 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

ill pass on the jersey.  I might, MIGHT, buy a whalers t-shirt. Don't really care about the Whalers or really consider it a part of the franchise. 

Would,nt want to be your Grandparents . LOL JK

I don't see the harm. But then again, I'm not from Hartford so I don't know what it's like to lose a team. Some people think it's rubbing salt in a wound or picking at an old scab but I don't see it that way.

I've read and understand some of the negative comments.  To me, however, anything the Canes can do to earn some extra money until (if?) the on ice product improves and the fans return, they should do.  The Whalers jersey is hugely popular across the country.  I was in Minnesota last week and was in a hockey shop that had some retro gear, they had some Nordiques, some Avalanche, some Golden Seals stuff, but they had about four times more Whaler gear in stock than all those other retros!  I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame for the first time about ten years ago and the only non-current team gear they had in their gift shop at that time was a Ron Francis Whaler T-Shirt.  I bought it then and have worn it occasionally to Canes games since.  Until fans return, I don't fault ownership for trying to get nickels and dimes anywhere they can.  This will do that--and raise some interest and media attention to boot.

I'm also a Browns fan. The worst part of the move was thinking of the Baltimore Browns or seeing those colors on another team. The colors and logo should belong and stay in Hartford. Now on the flip side I would love to see a Whalers vrs. Barons game with the stars donning the red black and white

If the Whalers were such a great team, why are they here? Do they have Thrashers night in Winnipeg? Seals night in San Jose? 

Edited by winger52
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I don't even have to look to know we play the Bruins 12/23 based on this.

? Both games are vs. the Bruins.

My best friend is a Bruins fan, I was a Whalers fan. We went to many a Whalers vs. Bruins games. Never went to another matchup. Whalers rarely won ?.

The throwback thing doesn’t bother me, hell I already have two Whalers jerseys (bright green and dark blue [favorite uniform of all time btw]). For me it will be nostalgic. Wore my Whalers jerseys to plenty of Canes vs. Flyers games in Philly, and someone would always yell out “The Whale!”

I have Whalers mugs, keychains, etc. so I’m fine with it. Then again I was always a fan from NJ, someone from Connecticut or Raleigh might feel different and I completely understand that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SuckaPunchd said:

I want one. I do. And I will wear it often. I’m actually super excited about this and while I was expecting it until the third jerseys were released. This caught me off guard a bit. I’m super salty I moved to California. I won’t be able to go to the home opener this year, nor to Whalers night. And I’ll have games starting at like 4pm for me. And of course, this will be the year we rise from the ashes of the failures of the past decade.

Dude, that's one of the best things about Cali! You're done watching sports you give a damn about by 8!

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

? Both games are vs. the Bruins.

My best friend is a Bruins fan, I was a Whalers fan. We went to many a Whalers vs. Bruins games. Never went to another matchup. Whalers rarely won ?.

The throwback thing doesn’t bother me, hell I already have two Whalers jerseys (bright green and dark blue [favorite uniform of all time btw]). For me it will be nostalgic. Wore my Whalers jerseys to plenty of Canes vs. Flyers games in Philly, and someone would always yell out “The Whale!”

I have Whalers mugs, keychains, etc. so I’m fine with it. Then again I was always a fan from NJ, someone from Connecticut or Raleigh might feel different and I completely understand that.

One thing this franchise lacks is an avowed enemy, a mortal rival. If this helps turn Boston into one, I'm fine with that (although I admit the fact that I have family up there whose balls I love to bust might enter into it!).

So yeah, provided there's a Canes' logo on there somewhere (or better yet, the guys wear their Canes helmets) and it's limited to two games, why not? But let's make sure surviving members of the Whale do the puck drops, and let's kick it off this year with the Howe boys.

16 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I think the Canes reference is inside the collar with the flags, doubt they add anything else this is the final product I'm sure.

not if we "suggest" loud enough!