The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Long Live the Whale

Many of the Hartford faithful are fired up and upset about this. They see it as a knife-twist 21 years later. You’d thought they were losing all their Dunkin Donuts up there! ??‍♂️

Edited by surfzone365

9 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Many of the Hartford faithful are fired up and upset about this. They see it as a knife-twist 21 years later. You’d thought they were losing all their Dunkin Donuts up there! ??‍♂️

Its no longer Dunkin' Donuts. They're dropping Donuts from their name.:rofl:

Dundon and company are masters of keeping the Hurricanes in the hockey news. This latest ploy has the internet, hockey sites, lit up with talk about the return of the Whale(er). It seems everyone loves the iconic Whaler logo but fans in Hartford and Raleigh are venting over its use by our Hurricanes. Hartford and Boston did have a rivalry but unless Montreal moves to Kiev don't expect a Carolina/Boston rivalry to be spawned by this marketing move.

I really don't mind, at least not that much that the Hurricanes wear a throwback sweater for two games. It will be a novelty and I'm sure I will watch the game with interest. The night will get good coverage around the hockey universe and the debate of should they or shouldn't they have worn them will heat up again. I would rather our new owner  embrace our 06 success than our in a galaxy far far away heritage. In time maybe he will. Oh and placing our iconic flags on the inside of the collar is a failed attempt to say a Hurricane in Whaler clothing is still a Hurricane. In the end we will get publicity and when we win the games the points will go to the Hurricanes as I doubt the Whalers are listed in any standings.

Just don't expect me not to have fun with this. The gimmick screams for sarcasm, humor and in many circles disdain But it won't be ignored..

• Like 1

For every ****** off Canes fan, Whalers fan there is a fan of another team saying "Shut up and take my money" quite literally in the comments of every thing I've read. Dundon's milking a whale.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Dundon and company are masters of keeping the Hurricanes in the hockey news.

Yes.  I don't care that much.  Just win. 

OBXer is right about the news.  I was listening a bit to XM this morning and they were talking about some old low level team, and mentioned that Don Waddell managed it.  "He's everywhere right now."  Ha ha.  

I'm a longtime reader of this forum, but I hardly post a message.  Given this topic, I feel like I should give my point of view.  As I've mentioned before, I grew up in the Hartford area and was a die-hard Whalers fan.  I hated to see them go, but I remained a die-hard fan with the Hurricanes.  As for the two "Whaler" games against the Bruins, I think it's a great idea.  I know most Hurricane fans don't agree that this should be done, but just think about the additional exposure that this team will get.  You'll have the major networks talking, the hockey writers debating, former players coming out from hiding...the results are endless.  We are a small market team and we've not performed well over the past decade.  Trying a new marketing idea that will definitely bring in the money, along with a new player and coach attitude, this can only bring positive results.  Remember, any news is good news in the marketing world.

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong, but has any other team in the NHL done this yet?  Maybe we're the trendsetters here and you'll see other teams like Colorado (Quebec Nordiques) or Winnipeg (Atlanta Thrashers) pay respect to their past.  Actually, that would make a very interesting outdoor heritage game...the Whalers vs Nordiques from the old Adam's Division.  You can bring back players from these respective teams (Howe's, Francis, Dineen, Wesley, O'neill and Statsny, Sakic, Sundin, Forsberg). The NHL is always looking for new ideas and I think this would be a great one.

• Like 3

MassCaniac, thanks for posting this well reasoned post. I for one don't see any harm in acknowledging our past, and agree with the thought that so many of us on this site loudly decry the lack of respect and exposure we get as a sort of "red headed stepchild" of the game, yet when given this opportunity, rise up in protest. I like OBXer" take also, that "a Hurricane by any other name, is still a Hurricane". Celebrating one's past is a time honored tradition, and Kjunkane for one has no problem with it. Who knows, it might be the elixir that transforms us into a playoff team?

41 minutes ago, MassCaniac said:

IActually, that would make a very interesting outdoor heritage game...the Whalers vs Nordiques from the old Adam's Division.  You can bring back players from these respective teams (Howe's, Francis, Dineen, Wesley, O'neill and Statsny, Sakic, Sundin, Forsberg). The NHL is always looking for new ideas and I think this would be a great one. 

Love this idea.

Although I'm certainly not interested in buying a jersey, I do enjoy how mad it makes the folks who constantly talk about "bringing back the Whalers".  Can we find an abandoned shopping mall to play the Boston game in?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hopper915 said:

Its no longer Dunkin' Donuts. They're dropping Donuts from their name.:rofl:

And that has me angrier than Hartford folks being poked in the eye with Whaler gear in Raleigh. Respect the Whale ?.... respect the donut ?!! ?

Edited by surfzone365

5 hours ago, MassCaniac said:

I'm a longtime reader of this forum, but I hardly post a message. 

Great post MassCaniac. 

I don't know why Canes fans would care that much TBH. When the Bruins fans fill our barn it will be like they're Tuuuuuuuing every single Rask save against someone else, but we still get credit for the win. And I'm a recovering Bruins fan from my younger days. 

I notice you're living in Foxboro. I graduated from North Attleboro, HS, right next door. Just a small world thing.

Anyways, keep the posts coming, and I agree with the sentiment that I'm not buying a jersey but a couple of games in that uni won't kill us. 

Also agree with OBXer that it's keeping us in the discussion out there.

Oh, the other thing is that one of the guys who started ESPN was a hockey guy and started ESPN in Hartford, and a lot of the old time ESPN anchors became Whalers fans. One of my best Stanley Cup run memories was that Chris Berman of ESPN sat directly behind us for game 5 of the finals. We got pictures, autographs and a couple of nice chats with him when we rode him for ESPN's small hockey coverage. But he was there partly because he was a Whalers fan. 

So this might get some coverage on ESPN because of that, is what I'm saying..

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Also agree with OBXer that it's keeping us in the discussion out there.

Oh, the other thing is that one of the guys who started ESPN was a hockey guy and started ESPN in Hartford, and a lot of the old time ESPN anchors became Whalers fans. One of my best Stanley Cup run memories was that Chris Berman of ESPN sat directly behind us for game 5 of the finals. We got pictures, autographs and a couple of nice chats with him when we rode him for ESPN's small hockey coverage. But he was there partly because he was a Whalers fan. 

So this might get some coverage on ESPN because of that, is what I'm saying..

I think you're right that it'll get coverage on ESPN, the question is: will anybody see it? :P 

I used to watch Sportscenter (and several other shows) regularly, now the only time I tune into that network is if they're carrying a game I want to watch.  Seems like the internet has really taken a bite out of ESPN.   

It seems like last year there was quite a bit if discussion about Canes fans who wore sweaters of other teams. Does this mean I can wear my hometown team sweater with out criticism ?

Wished they went with the Whalers navy blue jerseys.  Much nicer than the green version.  

Everyone needs go relax.  It’s 2 games.  Let them try it out and see what happens.  Maybe the team will sell some merchandise and the Canes would be able to bump up their payroll off the cap floor.  Now theres an idea that may actually sell some tickets.  

What does it matter which jersey the Canes wear at home against the Bruins.  The building will be 75% bruins fans anyways.

23 hours ago, MassCaniac said:

Maybe we're the trendsetters here and you'll see other teams like Colorado (Quebec Nordiques) or Winnipeg (Atlanta Thrashers) pay respect to their past.

And how about Calgary?

Fans both there and in the Peg need to find some gratitude for hockey in "non-traditional" markets. Canadians can *edit* all they want about hockey being "our game," but the simple fact is that if hockey hadn't failed twice in Atlanta, Canada would be short two NHL teams.

I've been pretty vocal about not really wanting to go here. 

But with that said, now that we have I do keep in mind the fact that over the last 20 years other fans have had no problem insulting the Canes franchise with the "WhalerCanes" innuendos. 

In the spirit of throwing it back in their face by wearing the Whale jerseys for a couple of games, and respecting our fans who are okay with it, I'm just going to chill on this one and try and enjoy the moment.  Even I believe that the Whales jersey is best and one of most recognizable in sport.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, winger52 said:

It seems like last year there was quite a bit if discussion about Canes fans who wore sweaters of other teams. Does this mean I can wear my hometown team sweater with out criticism ?

I've got no problem with fans wearing other jerseys. I do have problems with people who say they are Canes fans "except when my actual team is in town," and get out their mothballed blueshirts (or orange ones, for flightless bird ones) and cheer for the opposition.

If you want to do that, fine. Just don't tell me you're a Canes fan. Folks who only want the Canes to win when they're not playing against "their actual team" are not Canes' fans. They're turncoats. 

30 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I've got no problem with fans wearing other jerseys. I do have problems with people who say they are Canes fans "except when my actual team is in town," and get out their mothballed blueshirts (or orange ones, for flightless bird ones) and cheer for the opposition.

If you want to do that, fine. Just don't tell me you're a Canes fan. Folks who only want the Canes to win when they're not playing against "their actual team" are not Canes' fans. They're turncoats. 

I wear my "other team" stuff one or two games a year, just for fun, when the Canes are NOT playing them.  Usually I pull them out when the Canes are in a losing streak.

I always where Canes gear when they play my "other" team and I sure as hell cheer for the Canes.

* - "other" team.  Look in my profile.  I don't want to mention the name for fear of being chopped to pieces by some people.  :)

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

Be comfortable being who you are is my motto. When you wear another teams sweater people will assume (rightly imo). You are not a canes fan. Make sense?

26 minutes ago, cc said:

Be comfortable being who you are is my motto. When you wear another teams sweater people will assume (rightly imo). You are not a canes fan. Make sense?

Nope

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I have gone to Bruins games wearing a Bruins jersey and a Canes hat. That is the only time I'm not bummed if each team gets a point, but I always want the Canes to get the extra point.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Just paying respect to my hometown team. Never said when my actual team is in town. During those matches I cheer for both teams. If that means turncoat, then so be it. I have lived in four cities with NHL teams. Always had a West team and an East team. The hometown team has the place in my soul, won't leave me.  I won't be boxed in on an all in or leave. So if you guys are still on the "Canes Fan" or nothing, I'm out. 

9 hours ago, winger52 said:

Just paying respect to my hometown team. Never said when my actual team is in town. During those matches I cheer for both teams. If that means turncoat, then so be it. I have lived in four cities with NHL teams. Always had a West team and an East team. The hometown team has the place in my soul, won't leave me.  I won't be boxed in on an all in or leave. So if you guys are still on the "Canes Fan" or nothing, I'm out. 

Nowhere did I refer to you, winger. I was just stating my opinion of those who do what I described. Whether it happens to describe you or not, are you really surprised (or indignant) that at least some people on a Canes fan board would agree?

I grew up a Flyers fan in Philly. My dad was a Blackhawks fan as a kid, but converted when Philly got its team. He didn't root for the Hawks when they came to town; he wanted the Flyers not just to win to but to trounce them.

When I moved to NC I abandoned the Orange and Black and became a Canes fan, all-in. I regularly give crap to fans of other teams who show up at Canes' games (you can take the boy of Philly, but you can't take the Philly out of the boy!). To me, that's what being a hometown fan is all about: Supporting your local team above all others, and yes, making opposing fans think twice about showing up in your barn. But I still have more respect for those who travel to see their team play here than for those who live here, claim to be Canes fans, but get out their Rags or Devs or Pens jerseys and root for them to beat the Canes when they come to town.

If that makes me an all-in or all-out guy, so be it. To me, loyalty is the definition of fandom: supporting your local team against all comers, in good times and bad.   

• Like 1