The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Long Live the Whale

“So if you guys are still on the "Canes Fan" or nothing, I'm out. “  I’m firmly in this camp

37 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Nowhere did I refer to you, winger. I was just stating my opinion of those who do what I described. Whether it happens to describe you or not, are you really surprised (or indignant) that at least some people on a Canes fan board would agree?

I grew up a Flyers fan in Philly. My dad was a Blackhawks fan as a kid, but converted when Philly got its team. He didn't root for the Hawks when they came to town; he wanted the Flyers not just to win to but to trounce them.

When I moved to NC I abandoned the Orange and Black and became a Canes fan, all-in. I regularly give crap to fans of other teams who show up at Canes' games (you can take the boy of Philly, but you can't take the Philly out of the boy!). To me, that's what being a hometown fan is all about: Supporting your local team above all others, and yes, making opposing fans think twice about showing up in your barn. But I still have more respect for those who travel to see their team play here than for those who live here, claim to be Canes fans, but get out their Rags or Devs or Pens jerseys and root for them to beat the Canes when they come to town.

If that makes me an all-in or all-out guy, so be it. To me, loyalty is the definition of fandom: supporting your local team against all comers, in good times and bad.   

Could not have said it better. I owe you a beer sometime 

19 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I have gone to Bruins games wearing a Bruins jersey and a Canes hat. That is the only time I'm not bummed if each team gets a point, but I always want the Canes to get the extra point.

I don't usually answer my own posts, but, as much as I enjoy seeing, what I consider both my home town teams, these games are a bit uncomfortable for me. I don't cheer for either team, and while I want to see the Canes win, I don't want to see the Bruins lose. 

4 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I don't usually answer my own posts, but, as much as I enjoy seeing, what I consider both my home town teams, these games are a bit uncomfortable for me. I don't cheer for either team, and while I want to see the Canes win, I don't want to see the Bruins lose. 

Sounds painful. I’m looking forward to see the new team on this ice today. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, winger52 said:

Just paying respect to my hometown team. Never said when my actual team is in town. During those matches I cheer for both teams. If that means turncoat, then so be it. I have lived in four cities with NHL teams. Always had a West team and an East team. The hometown team has the place in my soul, won't leave me.  I won't be boxed in on an all in or leave. So if you guys are still on the "Canes Fan" or nothing, I'm out. 

I wouldn't ascribe the opinions of one or two members here to the whole board. Some of us are not nearly as rigid when it comes to the term "fan".  While "fan" may have originated from the word "fanatic", they carry a different meaning in today's English.  I'm fine with someone being a Canes "fan" even if they don't reach the level of "fanatic".

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

Guess that makes me a Canes' fanatic. Can't say that I'm a fan of any other team(s) except if are playing the Bruins or Habs.   

Yup. For those of us from Philly, it doesn't matter who in the NFL is playing the Cowgirls. As long as said 'Girls lose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yup. For those of us from Philly, it doesn't matter who in the NFL is playing the Cowgirls. As long as said 'Girls lose.

Sorry for this day for you. Lol

6 hours ago, Altaholic said:

I didn't leave the Canes....the Canes left me. Ugh...... 

Seriously? Im not terribly thrilled by this but its not that big of a deal. Its 2 games and if it puts cheese in Dundons pockets that he puts back into the on ice product then good.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 4:37 PM, LakeLivin said:

I'd like to be within earshot when someone smuggling one in tries to explain that bulge in his pants to security. :lol:

I'm not a fan of people throwing any animal on the ice. I'm no PETA activist or vegan. I just don't see the joy in throwing carcasses on the ice. Octopi, rats, or catfishes.......there's nothing funny about any of it. I hope to whatever higher power that the Canes don't adopt some lame-*edit*, small-minded tradition like other fanbases.

5 minutes ago, Bing_Chow said:

some lame-*edit*, small-minded tradition like other fanbases.

You make a valid point and I agree but I can't resist the irony of the whale

There would be nothing SMALL about a whale being heaved on the ice

• Like 2

On 9/30/2018 at 9:05 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

When I moved to NC I abandoned the Orange and Black and became a Canes fan, all-in. I regularly give crap to fans of other teams who show up at Canes' games (you can take the boy of Philly, but you can't take the Philly out of the boy!). To me, that's what being a hometown fan is all about: Supporting your local team above all others,

I was the same way with the Rangers. I sat at the kitchen table with my dad many a night listening to the Rangers on radio.  Loved going to MSG, very loud arena. Die hard Rangers fan. When they come to Raleigh I hope that the Canes will totally destroy them! NCH or bust.

On 10/1/2018 at 5:37 PM, LakeLivin said:

I'd like to be within earshot when someone smuggling one in tries to explain that bulge in his pants to security. :lol:

I believe this is where "The Whopper" was born.

Interestingly, Dundon said that the jersey itself won't earn much money for the Canes.  They only get a noticeable profit from the ones sold in the Eye, anything bought online or elsewhere is split several ways.  Take it for what it's worth, of course, but the owner said it was done mostly to get attention from the media.

16 minutes ago, caniac-1-1 said:

the owner said it was done mostly to get attention from the media.

That and he just thought it looked cool. ?

But I agree, it sounds like this is more about drawing attention to this market than a huge cash grab. 

Edit: just found this, which sort of supports it. All things to raise the profile of the brand/team.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article219391505.html

On 9/30/2018 at 7:54 PM, Whaler1 said:

Guess that makes me a Canes' fanatic. Can't say that I'm a fan of any other team(s) except if are playing the Bruins or Habs.   

I echo that sentiment Whaler. Guess thats why I lose so much interest in post season without "a dog in the fight"? Then, I don't have the conflict that some of you seem to have, as the Canes represent my 1st experience in the sport, which I begrudgingly gave into being a football fanatic(read LSU), but never having moved from the area, never had to re-establish a "favorite".

• Like 1

This idea is as dumb as the Jets having a Thrashers night, the Coyotes having a Jets night, or Dallas having a North Stars night. In fact, the latter wore North Stars jerseys for an alumni game and Dallas fans just about blew a gasket. Accept your own identity. And to do it as a money grab/exposure event is even worse.    

It might be more hilarious during the Bruins game. Just sprinkle in a bunch of Whale jokes all night long. 

A man in a movie theater notices what looks like a whale sitting next to him.

"Are you a whale?" asked the man, surprised.

"Yes."

"What are you doing at the movies?"

The whale replied, "Well, I liked the book." 

Maybe not. But it sounded good in my head at first. 

• Like 1