gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Welcome all to a new season of Hurricanes Hockey!!!

After one of the most important off-seasons in Carolina Hurricanes' history, we have a bunch of new faces this season:

New Owner, New GM, new coaching staff, Svech, Necas, Foegele, Hamilton, Ferland, Zykov, de Haan, Mrazek, and Martinook

New attitude, new system, new Darling!

All this new has led to plenty of questions leading into Thursday's home opener  ( make sure you play the opening night contest).

What will the lines be?

Who will start in goal?

How will the new system look?

How will the goaltending perform this season?

How will the 7 defenders be handled?

Do we use our 7th defender as trade bait for a forward?

The preseason has answered some of how the team will skate on the ice. A 5-0-1 pre-season is very good for a young team to help build confidence. The opener will start to answer the questions. The most important question to answer: Can we stop the playoff drought??

We start the season in pursuit of starting a playoff streak!

Rest/Fatigue for Hurricanes Schedule

Dm_Jys8U0AIEZh7.jpg

Green cells are simply a count of days rest. Red cells highlight situations where a team will be playing tired: 2/2 - 2 games in 2 days 3/4 - 3 games in 4 days 4/6 - 4 games in 6 days 5/7 - 5 games in 7 days 6/9 - 6 games in 9 days

Re hash of what was released in the off-season thread but this shows the strength of schedule at home based on opponent and our rest days. Home will be very important this season for the standings, bringing fans back in, and the financial ability to increase the payroll of the team.

Edited by gocanes0506

As we head into the season, I found part of Brind'Amour's response to the last preseason game very interesting. That was a wide open game including a fair number of miscues in our own end, especially by the rookies and, sorry, but Faulk. I was thinking that this would be a topic of discussion on the "things we need to clean up" side of the ledger. Instead his response was that we are going to play aggressive and basically when you're aggressive these things happen and you're going to need your goalie to bail you out.

I have mixed feelings about that. I love the open, aggressive style, but we are not exactly putting the Vezina trophy in danger of moving to Raleigh with our goaltending expectations.

My guess is that the specific issues are being addressed with the individuals in question, but on the whole, Brind'Amour does not want to tamp this team's aggression down.

BTW I would hope that while he may need to look at a couple of technique type things with him, I seriously hope that Foegele is not encouraged to dial his play down. He needs to keep at it and stay tenacious. Those are penalties of aggression and while they can be fine tuned, we want him to keep at it. I'm pretty sure Brind'Amour will keep him aggressive.

• Like 1

Agree-

I liked this quote most:

We're not going to get pushed around," Brind'Amour said. "Knowing that if you want to take a cheap shot at us, we've got guys who can at least stand up. I think everyone likes that."

• Like 1

There is no doubt that we need to flip the switch from the outplaying but losing on the goals for and against thing the Peters seemed to bring. I am also fine with the idea of not riding the kids for mistakes. We are going with rookies and young guys, and we need to accept the mistakes and not keep them too tight in order to get them creating the offense they are capable of.

That said, to my eye some of the stuff in our own end was not really about being aggressive. In fact Necas lost a couple of pucks along the boards that he should have had, and one led to a prime chance, and Svech seemed hemmed in a couple of times. In these cases, I think it is more that Brindy is going to be very careful not to squelch the young guy's enthusiasm, which I agree with. That's why I suspect he's showing them film behind the scenes and teaching, but not going to call them out.

Still, I agree with Brind'Amour hockey, especially for this team. Let the boys play. Accept some mistakes in order to keep their confidence up high enough to get the high end positives out of the rookies.

I must confess that I'm still not sold on our goalies. It's early, but that could be the flaw in that plan. Still, if the goalies stink we're not going far anyways, so let the boys play and keep the yutes confident.

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

I must confess that I'm still not sold on our goalies.

I also have that wait and see and prove it to me attitude. Darling to my eye was clearly the better goalie in preseason but if there is even a hint his injury could hinder his play I sit him. This isn't the time to play through an injury. He has too much on the line to add an unknown into his game.

34 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I also have that wait and see and prove it to me attitude. Darling to my eye was clearly the better goalie in preseason but if there is even a hint his injury could hinder his play I sit him. This isn't the time to play through an injury. He has too much on the line to add an unknown into his game.

I agree 100%, we watched Darling's confidence death spiral last year. It would be utterly stupid to risk reigniting it this year by trying to get him to play hurt. 

So far it seems like Brindy is calling out initiative/effort and letting judgement slide, publicly atleast. I learned from a SGTMAJ that a quite, "good initiative, bad judgement" talk/comment goes farther in improving performance than jumping on why the judgement was poor.

Just now listened to Brind'Amour and Justin and I wanted to echo thoughts above. It is pure "music to my ears" to hear the statement, We will not be pushed around!! That sentiment, IMHO, will go further to unite this team than its been for 10 years. Carry that through for 82 games and I'll wager we see playoff hockey in April.

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 2

I think the upside of this whole approach could be that if this team starts winning, it could develop a sort of swagger. Not overconfidence, but more not playing tight while still playing physical. The swagger would not just be the physicality, but a sort of offensive swagger built on being allowed to play their game with less worry about mistakes, letting their skills out. Brindy has spoken several times about this. Confidence being a key thing especially for high end plays, and especially with young players. He seems to be acting on that.

On the physical side, sure, it's partly about not letting guys take liberties, but it's also about their guys worrying about being hit. Ferland seems to have that disruptive hitting ability (yesterday one of his hits lead directly to a turnover and a prime chance. Martinook does too, and so does McGinn. The other guys can't settle into an "easy night".

with the young (and I believe youngest team in the NHL) swagger/confidence will be key.  The team's execution will vary from one minute to the next.  Confidence can go a long way to keep the production on the higher level. I believe Rod's style is much better at creating that than Peter's style ever will. 

I am excited to return to the type of hockey that hooked me in 2001.  The hockey where even if we lose we will out work you every game and hit you in the mouth.  Man we were a loud crowd with that type of hockey.  It slowly started to die when Commodore left, he was done though. I think it officially died after 2009.  It will be a slow process but it should really get the fans back into the game. 

• Like 2

Curtis McElhinney was just waived, he's better then Ned. I doubt we claim him because when Darling's healthy that would be a cluster but still interesting to see what the Canes do with a very capable backup available on the wire. Admittedly not sure of the extent of Darling's injury.

Edit - Didn't realize Curtis was 35. He flew under the radar hard and fast in his NHL career. Thought he was late 20s.

Edited by legend-1

As far as lines:

I hope we don't put Svech with Staal.  The youngster needs some speed and O power to help him out.  He doesn't need to develop into a Skinner and believe he has to do it all himself.  Svech is a very underrated passer and we need to use that skill on some skill. 

I'll be interested to see if we split Turbo and Aho to have more veteran balance with young guys and to see what young center Ferland is tasked with "protecting."

Not perfect but I'd shoot for:

Z-Aho-Svech two big bodies with Aho.  Z to park in front of the net and finish any rebounds from Aho and Svech

Foegele-Staal-McgInn  I still think creating another BBC style line would be great.  This line could do it. Hitting everything, has speed on the wings, and can score.

Ferland-Necas-Turbo  Give the young center 2 rocks on the wings and go to town.  Turbo should be able to match the speed.  Ferland can be the force behind the line and be the dirty guy

Martinook-Wallmark-Williams  Give wallmark solid wingers and be another defensively strong line that can score. 

PDG

Slavin-Hamilton

de Haan-Faulk

Fleury-TVR

Pesce (to get some more ice time to make sure he is 100%, why have him start at 90?)

15 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Z-Aho-Svech two big bodies with Aho

I would not breakup Aho and TT for any reason. If you want to protect Aho put Ferland on his line. I don't believe I'm saying this because I'm dubious that rooks are always questionable. But I skate an all rookie line of Z-Necas-Svech. Give their speed and skill a chance. 

• Like 1

The thing about Zykov is that he was not in for the final pre-season game. PDG is a veteran and does bring some grit and energy, but I want to see Zykov in there.I think maybe they wanted to see Foegele on a higher line for that last game, and I suspect PDG, Martinook, possibly Zykov may be a rotation, but I want to see Zykov out there on opening night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I would not breakup Aho and TT for any reason. If you want to protect Aho put Ferland on his line.

Yup.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I skate an all rookie line of Z-Necas-Svech.

Nope. Unless we're trying to fast-track the PK's development!

28 minutes ago, remkin said:

The thing about Zykov is that he was not in for the final pre-season game. PDG is a veteran and does bring some grit and energy, but I want to see Zykov in there.I think maybe they wanted to see Foegele on a higher line for that last game, and I suspect PDG, Martinook, possibly Zykov may be a rotation, but I want to see Zykov out there on opening night.

If we relegate Zyke to one of the "13th" guys, we're totally handcuffing our PP. Given how bad it's been for lo these many years, and Zyke's proven ability to score on the PP, I'll be stunned (and more than a little incredulous) if he isn't in the lineup every night, somewhere in the top nine, for at least the first 20 games. He's certainly earned it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I would not breakup Aho and TT for any reason. If you want to protect Aho put Ferland on his line. . 

Aho and TT have a level of eliteness of talent not really matched yet by anyone on the team, and with that they feed off of, and anticipate and for lack of a better term can keep up with each other's talent level in a way that creates a sum greater than the parts. So, I agree, is what I'm saying.

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I want to see Zykov in there.

Yes for sure.  The days of playing "veterans" just because they are(cough cough LaRose) needs to be over.  We have options finally.  Use them.

36 minutes ago, remkin said:

Aho and TT have a level of eliteness of talent not really matched yet by anyone on the team, and with that they feed off of, and anticipate and for lack of a better term can keep up with each other's talent level in a way that creates a sum greater than the parts. So, I agree, is what I'm saying.

Maniscalco was just on the radio and agrees with the Aho+TT combo and confirms what you guys are saying.

Now is a good time to sign up for Game Day Starters!! They can be short or elaborate. Just need something there to start us off.

Just click below and sign up early and often!

6 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Curtis McElhinney was just waived, he's better then Ned. I doubt we claim him because when Darling's healthy that would be a cluster but still interesting to see what the Canes do with a very capable backup available on the wire. Admittedly not sure of the extent of Darling's injury.

Edit - Didn't realize Curtis was 35. He flew under the radar hard and fast in his NHL career. Thought he was late 20s.

What is the downside of claiming McIlhenney? He had good numbers last year. We could carry 3 goalies for a while. Let Bales and RB look at him while Darling recovers. If he doesn’t look able to help, waive or release him. 

• Like 1

In other news, not a single one of the NHL.com "experts" is even picking us to make the playoffs this season...some even have the Islanders making the playoffs...

Dundon has ****** everybody off for doing it our way.  I love it. 

On lines, it's tough once you get past Aho-TT, Staal-Williams.  Although I would argue strongly that Necas-Svetch need sheltered minutes 5 vs 5 with somebody that can open up space for them.  And mitigate the rookie mistakes. Let those two work their magic on special teams mostly.

• Like 2