The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

WE TOLD YOU SO!!!

That fan base deserves him...and I hope he wrecks them for decades to come, and maybe they’ll finally move to KC ;)

In other news, LA just took the Bolts to the SO before losing...tomorrow night’s game just got really interesting 

He is doing all he can to win while Malkin & Crosby are still performing. But once they start to decline, they are screwed for years. 

Sweet extended the game and have to travel here. A long night for them.

Edited by gocanes0506

8 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

I think they actually won the Olympics. I have been to the Olympic Center in Lake Placid twice for figure skating competitions. There is a huge mural that covers all 4 entrance doors into the rink that shows the scene at the end of the game with the Soviets. All the Americans were celebrating like crazy. The Soviet players all were hanging their heads, no doubt wondering what part of Siberia they were headed to. The stunning thing is that the US team consisted of college players - true amateurs. The Soviet team was the Red Army team that lived and trained together in Moscow 50 weeks a year. But it was a one off. The two teams played an exhibition before the Olympics, I think in MSG, and the Soviets won something like 8-1. I saw a documentary on the game - I think on an ESPN 30 for 30. The Russian Hockey Federation replaced the longtime coach of the team in the year before the Olympics. The Russian players were very loyal to him and not fond of his replacement. The Soviets had the best goalie in the world. Just before the end of the first period, he let in a soft goal, and the coach pulled him for their backup. They interviewed team members 30 years later who felt without the goalie change they would still have won. Still one of the great sports stories of all time, but if you ever get to see the documentary about it there are a lot of interesting back stories and subplots.

Yes, that 30 for 30 documentary focused on the ‘miracle’ game from the Soviet perspective, if it’s the one I’m thinking of, which was very interesting.  I also like the film “Miracle” and Kurt Russell’s portrayal of Herb Brooks.  Good featurette on the DVD of Kurt getting some pointers from Herb on his coaching methods and what he was thinking at the time that I think aided Kurt in his acting role.  Shame Herb was killed before the film debuted.

8 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Take care of business tomorrow night and we could be Met #3 or WC #1. At the very least, if Columbus with their overhauled lineup beats Pittsburgh, we gain separation on Pittsburgh if we win.

on Hockey Buzz, a Pittsburgh blogger ripped JR a new one and in effect said “this is what Carolina fans said to expect when JR was hired.” His time may be running short in Pittsburgh.

Both NJ and Toronto did us a favor.  Now we got business to take care of.  Hopefully we can beat the Kings tonight; the team has lost 8 in a row so you know they'll be coming at us with everything to end the streak.  I was hoping they'd beat Tampa last night.

With Columbus facing Pittsburgh I don't really know whom I would want to win, probably Columbus.  We're battling both teams.  I wish both of them could lose but I know that's not possible.  If Pittsburgh wins and we win we overtake Montreal and Columbus (Montreal not in playoffs).  If we win and Pittsburgh loses we overtake just Montreal and pull away from Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh still not in playoffs and Montreal is 8 seed.  I like that better.  We still have one game vs Columbus left this year (in Columbus) and 2 vs Pittsburgh (one home and one away).

Actually, I would WANT Columbus to win; Pittsburgh is chasing us and we can't let the teams chasing us catch us.  I know we have the same # of points as they do but we have the tiebreaker. 

We have to take care of business tonight first though.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

5 points out of 1st in the Metro.  Is thinking about securing home ice a stretch?  I know we are not going to get the cup this year.  Making it to the playoffs alone will be a major victory.

Edited by bluedevil58

10-3 in February after that ridiculous January.

5 points out of 1st or 2nd in the division.

19 games left and need 22 points.

our goal differential is up to +16. That is quite the change from years past.

• Like 1

Just now, Whaler1 said:

Every team making the playoffs is a contender. 

Yup with the Mac and Petr are playing if they make the dance there is no reason the think they cant go deep. Wonder when the last a team with a true rotational goalie situation made the finals and what will Bridny do with them if they get there.

9 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Our cap hit is too low? :P

I don't really think a question answers a question.

Some just cant help making vinegar out of wine.

8 hours ago, Whaler1 said:

Every team making the playoffs is a contender. 

Correct.

No they are not.  There are stanley cup contenders and then there are playoff contenders which is what we are.  If you think we are a stanley cup contender with missing the playoffs for 10 straight years then so be it.

11 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

No they are not.  There are stanley cup contenders and then there are playoff contenders which is what we are.  If you think we are a stanley cup contender with missing the playoffs for 10 straight years then so be it.

I'm not saying we are a cup contender but the past 10 years is irrelevant to whether we are a contender or not.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

If you think this is the team that has missed the playoffs for 10 years, then you are mistaken. Several people have alluded to the miracle on ice, which is a bit of what is happening here. We have a very young team that is beginning to believe in itself thanks to the injection of some key veteran talent.

If the question is are they favorites for the cup, the answer is no. However, they have are definitely contenders if they continue to play their game. I wouldn't suggest betting anything you can't afford to lose on their inevitable victory, but if you have some spare fat stacks I wouldn't consider that wager throwing money away.

10 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Come on guys.  This team isn't a contender.   However, with the blue line this team has, I foresee any team having trouble going against us in the 1st round.  

On January 1st I wouldn't, no I didn't give this team a chance to make the playoffs. Yet here we are the end of February in the thick of a playoff hunt and chasing 2nd place in the Metro. If we get, when we get in we will be a contender until we aren't. The nice thing about a young and talented team is they don't know they can't do something.

Nothing is certain and I'm just going to enjoy the season as it plays out. 

I totally forgot wild card teams are competing for a firm handshake and a pat on the back and not the Cup. It's hard to remember these things after 10 years, everything's topsy turvy now.

10 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Come on guys.  This team isn't a contender.   However, with the blue line this team has, I foresee any team having trouble going against us in the 1st round.  

I agree if things stay as they are now there are teams with much better shots in the East, I would rank us about 5th or 6th after Toronto, Boston, TB, Wash and maybe the Isle, but nothing ever stays the same.  Over the next 20 things will change, guys will get hurt, etc.  Some of those guys will have to play each other in the playoffs.  So you never know how it ends up, that's why you take them 1 at a time.   If things break right you never know.

Things have broken really well for us for 2019, I would expect there to be a dry spell soon as well that we have to play through.

BTW, actual conversation on SiriusXM Home Ice this morning.

"Carolina is the best team in the NHL since New Years."

"Really?  Not St. Louis?"

"Yeah, since 12/31"

"Not Philly?"

"No.  Carolina."

"Really?"

Just now, hag65 said:

BTW, actual conversation on SiriusXM Home Ice this morning.

"Carolina is the best team in the NHL since New Years."

"Really?  Not St. Louis?"

"Yeah, since 12/31"

"Not Philly?"

"No.  Carolina."

"Really?"

We also had a brief mentioning on Sportscenter this morning. First time in a long time (that i’ve seen).  Although it was only the first goal and then the BOJ stuff.

As we briefly pause the playoff watch for a couple of days we are full on for the injury watch.

Ferland, Faulk and deHann all injured. I'm hoping for the best and really hope we get some good news on the injuries today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OBXer said:

As we briefly pause the playoff watch for a couple of days we are full on for the injury watch.

Ferland, Faulk and deHann all injured. I'm hoping for the best and really hope we get some good news on the injuries today.

This has me concerned BiGLY. 

• Like 1

I’m so glad there is an ignore button for when you have someone that is constantly putting our team down even when things are going well. Are we the best team in the East? No, but the boys are playing their hearts out and fighting for the playoffs. I’m enjoying it very much. Go Canes! Keep fighting. 

• Like 1