The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

3 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

If you think we are a stanley cup contender with missing the playoffs for 10 straight years then so be it.

??

Not what I said. It might be hard for an inherent pessimist to grasp but we are in a playoff position right now and if we are still there at the end of the season we would be no less a Cup contender than any of the other 15 teams that qualified, regardless of how many years we missed the playoffs. Right now I am going to enjoy every minute of our run and success. You should try it once in a while, it's actually quite fun.        

• Like 6

3 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I'm not saying we are a cup contender but the past 10 years is irrelevant to whether we are a contender or not.

I don't think Vegas was a playoff or Cup contender for a decade either until last year.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

Must be the same crowd hollering "team full of AHL'ers", "Not enough talent" to compete in this league, BLAH BLAH BLAH that goes on in social media when a team isn't playing to it's potential, which all teams fail to do in stretches, some longer than others. No small sample size is a microcosm of a team or it's potential, and two grinding months of an NHL season is not a small sample size. It's far more a reflection of what a team can do when coaching, familiarity and execution begin to fall together over time and hard work. The trend now established is that this team has evolved, grown an identity of RB hockey, found a mix of youth and veteran presence that is working at a level that only a couple teams have matched over that time period. Not sure what sports all the pessimists follow, but those types of indicators are EXACTLY what makes teams contenders as seasons wind down and there begins to be something more on the line than just earning a paycheck. Season success, a team's potential, a team's chemistry, all are ever evolving in the context of a long season, and right now I'd put the Canes spot on that meter at redlining. Does that guarantee anything, of course not and never will. What it does say is an equation of winning has found residence here, and as someone stated earlier, new groups of athletes haven't been told and don't grasp the notion that they aren't supposed to be winners. There may even be a letdown at some point from the run of two months, but any argument or pessimism of capability went out the window weeks ago along with the teams who slid to 8-12 points back of the line. We didn't, therefore we're in CONTENTION!!!

Ferland and Faulk concern me as they both left the game and did not return.  Ferland did not look that injured, but you never know. Did not know about De Haan.  The good news is that we do have defensive depth.  Looks like Fleury will be getting back on the bus for Friday's game.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Rod and staff just kept me out from playing further cause we’re up by 5/6 and it wasn’t worth it risking further injury.  Hope they’re back by Fri

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

5 points out of 1st in the Metro.  Is thinking about securing home ice a stretch?  I know we are not going to get the cup this year.  Making it to the playoffs alone will be a major victory.

18 hours ago, cc said:

Why not us? Please explain.

17 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Our cap hit is too low? :P

8 hours ago, cc said:

I don't really think a question answers a question.

Some just cant help making vinegar out of wine.

Correct.

Methinks you completely missed the gist of my response.  Didn't think it needed the actual Sarcasm Sign emoji, but perhaps I was wrong.

Edited by LakeLivin

Even SportsClubStats gives us a 1.9% chance of winning the cup.  1 in 50 is a way better chance than Lloyd Christmas had of getting with Mary Swanson.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Even SportsClubStats gives us a 1.9% chance of winning the cup.  1 in 50 is a way better chance than Lloyd Christmas had of getting with Mary Swanson.

saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

• Like 3

I'm not thinking about our Cup chances this season.  I just want to make the playoffs and after that anything more is gravy.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

Mixed news

Thank you for that update OBXER; during work today I kept checking the site for anything and nothing.  That's VERY good news that they're all day to day and that Ferland will not miss any time.  I didn't think his injury was that severe.  Probably a sore wrist or elbow.  I'll go to bed happy tonight knowing that.  I just wish this would be posted on the website so us fans would know.

At what point did Faulk leave the game because I never saw him leave? I only heard about it.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Welp we got our answer, Bean and Fleury bothered recalled.

gives them a chance to practice in case they need to play.

I'm Confidant  that having  Bean Called up will only  make  him get better and stronger  .   Fleury  on the other hand  , i still have hopes  he can progress  but im not going to lose any sleep over it if he does not .    Fox , Drury  , Necas , Carrick , Gauthier  , Bishop   is who i have hopes for  right now  . 

14 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

Why do I feel this meme is the staple of the Hurricanes?  It constantly resurfaces all over facebook and other boards.

Edited by bluedevil58

1 hour ago, ironman87 said:

De Haan got hurt in a post-game workout from what I read.  Interesting that he's working out after the game.  Sounds like his head coach

Mid-way through the season the Canes started showing Brindy's post game locker room excitement on their Twitter. I dunno if it always ends with, but mostly ends with Brindy telling the boys to finish strong with their post game workout.

I want to say he started the post game work out when the guys weren't reaching their potential before Christmas through the season, but I don't know.

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Why do I feel this meme is the staple of the Hurricanes?  It constantly resurfaces all over facebook and other boards.

As a Yankee fan, i did not think the Red Sox would come back from 3-0 down to win series, so anythings possible, life is so unpredictable.

1 hour ago, ironman87 said:

De Haan got hurt in a post-game workout from what I read.  Interesting that he's working out after the game.  Sounds like his head coach

Yeah, the word was "back spasms". And I'll bet quite a few engage in post game workouts, if for no other reason than to decrease lactic acidosis, the cause of post exercise stress.

13 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I'm Confidant  that having  Bean Called up will only  make  him get better and stronger  .   Fleury  on the other hand  , i still have hopes  he can progress  but im not going to lose any sleep over it if he does not .    Fox , Drury  , Necas , Carrick , Gauthier  , Bishop   is who i have hopes for  right now  . 

Aside from having a nice ride from Charlotte to Raleigh, which I can't see that would get him stronger, and possibly put in a workout or two, I'm hoping this is just precautionary, and he'll not see game action tomorrow?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Today's scoreboard watch

Flyers @ Blue Jackets  (Lets Go Flyers)

Leafs @ Isles   (oh Canada)

both the BJs and Isles have a magic bean.  We'll have a solid picture of what the playoff picture is after these two games.  At worst, we are WC2 and 7 points out of first and best case scenario is the points stay right there are.  

The worst records over the last 10 in metro are the Rangers at 4-4-2 and Devils at 5-5-0.  The division is ridiculous when you have a .500 record over the last 10 and lose ground by 6 points.