The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

3 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

The last eight games in March are brutal.The season will be determined there. Stock pile as many points before that stretch.

This!

That home weekend B2B in three weeks will be the clincher 

I really don’t see it that way. Every game is crucial for 2 points. Those games only have 1 opponent who appears above our station. Tampa.   I look forward to that test. If you can beat them you can take down anyone. Crucial. Yes but all games since Jan 1 have been. Brutal no. IMHO

Edited by cc

9 minutes ago, cc said:

I really don’t see it that way. Every game is crucial for 2 points. Those games only have 1 opponent who appears above our station. Tampa.   I look forward to that test. If you can beat them you can take down anyone. Crucial. Yes but all games since Jan 1 have been. Brutal no. IMHO

It’s not so much the opponent, but the “every other night” and some B2B’s to close it out that has me worried 

Got bored and reminisce on the way things use to be and threw this together:

South East
Tampa Bay     49-12-4        102
Washington    37-21-7         81
Carolina         35-23-6         76
Florida           28-25-10       66

North West
Toronto        39-21-4         82

Columbus    36-25-3         75

Pittsburgh    33-22-9         75
Detroit         23-32-9         55

North East
Boston        38-17-9         85
Montreal     35-23-7         77
Buffalo        30-26-8         68
Ottawa        22-37-5         49

Atlantic
New York(I)     37-20-7          81
Philadelphia    31-26-8         70
New York(R)    27-24-10       64
New Jersey      25-32-8         58

Strangely enough, we would still be fighting for one of the "four" wild card spots if we still had this.

34 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Got bored and reminisce on the way things use to be and threw this together:

South East
Tampa Bay     49-12-4        102
Washington    37-21-7         81
Carolina         35-23-6         76
Florida           28-25-10       66

North West
Toronto        39-21-4         82

Columbus    36-25-3         75

Pittsburgh    33-22-9         75
Detroit         23-32-9         55

North East
Boston        38-17-9         85
Montreal     35-23-7         77
Buffalo        30-26-8         68
Ottawa        22-37-5         49

Atlantic
New York(I)     37-20-7          81
Philadelphia    31-26-8         70
New York(R)    27-24-10       64
New Jersey      25-32-8         58

Strangely enough, we would still be fighting for one of the "four" wild card spots if we still had this.

there was no north west  division ,  there were only 3 divisions   Atlantic  , North east  and South east  . 

Off the theme a little here, but I'm getting a bit concerned about the after-win celebrations.  The first several appeared to be something impromptu that the guys made up in the room.  The last two were getting a bit too choreographed.  Obviously the lighting crew was included, who knows who else?  I sorta wish they'd return to something simpler.

Edited by g105

13 minutes ago, g105 said:

Off the theme a little here, but I'm getting a bit concerned about the after-win celebrations.  The first several appeared to be something impromptu that the guys made up in the room.  The last two were getting a bit too choreographed.  Obviously the lighting crew was included, who knows who else?  I sorta wish they'd return to something simpler.

Holyfield > limbo

Bunch of Jerks > duck duck goose

I'm still more into simply raising the sticks, but at least the past couple have been entertaining.

5 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

there was no north west  division ,  there were only 3 divisions   Atlantic  , North east  and South east  . 

Had to make up a new division with 16 teams.

7 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Anyone else going to the alumni game today?

Me and Mrs. Storm are a maybe.  She mentioned that John Forslund is not announcing the game this year (I guess he’s calling the NBC game today?) and wondered who would call the action.  I said maybe they’ll bring back Chuck Kaiton to do it since he’s an alumni!  (Actually, that would be really cool if they did.)

Crazy stat:

Pesce is +26 so far and a +32 turn around from last year. This isn’t the biggest turnaround though.

Faulk is +10. A +36 turn around.  Yep he was -26 last year.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Crazy stat:

Pesce is +26 so far and a +32 turn around from last year. This isn’t the biggest turnaround though.

And the biggest turnaround of all...the whole team is better by 48!  The Canes goal differential last season was a sad -28 and they’re a plus 20 at the moment this year.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

And the biggest turnaround of all...the whole team is better by 48!  The Canes goal differential last season was a sad -28 and they’re a plus 20 at the moment this year.

To me it is obvious what the biggest difference is or the difference maker rather.  It's two-fold IMO.

- This off season the blue line had an over haul.  The addition of Hamilton and DeHaan has been big.  Especially Dehaan.

- The goalies are actually making the big saves when we need them to the most.  We haven't had that in years.

16 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Winnipeg was Atlanta in the Southeast. They used to call it the South Least.” That would not be the case now. We’d be 4th and Detroit would be in the West. Kind of incredible but being in the Metropolitan is better.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Crazy stat:

All that plus minus stuff from last year is hard to take to seriously since our starting goal tender was swiss cheese.  But heck yeah, all around everyone is having a great year for the first time in about 10yrs. 

Its' been amazing watching Justin Williams turn it on lately.  Thats why he is "Mr. game 7".  When things get intense and you have to win to stay alive, he is the first one in the mix scoring or at least getting scoring chances.  The heart in that guy is incredible, he has obviously slowed down a lot, but it doesn't matter, he has the heart, drive and intelligence to beat all these fast kids and hot goalies when the wins matter the most. 

Ferland has cooled off a bit.  Maybe coming back down to reality a little, I don't think he is a 30 goal guy, but he still brings the toughness which is worth a lot.   This may make it easier to sign him this summer and he may not get that 5.7mil we were thinking he could have got a month ago when the whole league was after him.   He is more like a 4mil guy in my opinion, hopefully the canes work it out somewhere in between 4 and 5 and don't have to over pay a guy who might only put up 15-20 goals a year. 

Now if he gets hot and finishes the season with close to 30 goals than he will get his price this summer. 

• Like 2

Crazy looking at the standings that a 2 game losing streak by us and a 2 game winning streak by Mont. and PItts. would drop us 3 points out of a WC spot.  Yikes.

And WTH Tampa Bay?  50-12?  Good god that is one heck of a record.  Wow

1 minute ago, Danimal38 said:

Crazy looking at the standings that a 2 game losing streak by us and a 2 game winning streak by Mont. and PItts. would drop us 3 points out of a WC spot. 

The same is true for the Isles and Caps. a 2 game losing streak by them and 2 game winning streak by us and we are in 1st.  I prefer to look at the teams in front of us and not the ones in the rear view mirror. But your point is well made.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Crazy looking at the standings that a 2 game losing streak by us and a 2 game winning streak by Mont. and PItts. would drop us 3 points out of a WC spot.  Yikes.

And WTH Tampa Bay?  50-12?  Good god that is one heck of a record.  Wow

45 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The same is true for the Isles and Caps. a 2 game losing streak by them and 2 game winning streak by us and we are in 1st.  I prefer to look at the teams in front of us and not the ones in the rear view mirror. But your point is well made.

As hot as the team has been, losing a couple or three could make it all go poof.  What a race this is shaping up to be.  

1 hour ago, Danimal38 said:

All that plus minus stuff from last year is hard to take to seriously since our starting goal tender was swiss cheese.  But heck yeah, all around everyone is having a great year for the first time in about 10yrs. 

I understand your point.

Slavin and Staal are having a similar statistical year for +\-.  Slavin was Pesce’s partner for a lot of last season.

It is a group effort.  Less goals allowed because the defense is better but so is the goal tending.  More goals scored because of style, talent, and willingness to get in the dirty areas.

Edited by gocanes0506

20 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

The last eight games in March are brutal.The season will be determined there. Stock pile as many points before that stretch.

I think it rests more on that five game homestand we have (last major homestand of the season) vs Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, TB and Montreal.  This homestand is in your last 8.  That's the BIGGER picture.  If that homestand ends up being successful (similar to that five game road trip that was successful) we're golden.  Buffalo will likely be out of the playoff race by then if they aren't already.  All the other teams are definitely still in it.  No reason to think it can't be the way we've been playing the last two months.

We're 2-0 in March thus far.  Dominated the hot team out west St. Louis, whom has since cooled down (lost to Dallas as well) and a team that was rolling points wise in their last 4 (Florida in their barn).  We looked bad but still won thanks to Mrazek.