The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

10 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

We’re at the alumni game and there’s a solid turnout...probably a good 2-3K

Have fun...tried to head out there and the car wouldn’t start.  Just what I wanted to deal with on a Sunday afternoon... 😤

35 minutes ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

The Crapholes winning was certainly a bummer, but go Flyers, go!

We have two games left with the Capitals this season; a home and home.  Hopefully we can take them down those two games and gain ground on them that way.  Hard to believe we're only five points out of the division lead right now.  I watched the game today vs the Rangers today and the announcers did not mention anything about Carolina making a charge.  It's like we're still not noticed in the league.  But, hey, I'm happy with us flying under the radar.

I mean weren't we like 20 points behind them and the Islanders before this run we have gone on.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

We have two games left with the Capitals this season; a home and home.  Hopefully we can take them down those two games and gain ground on them that way.  Hard to believe we're only five points out of the division lead right now.  I watched the game today vs the Rangers today and the announcers did not mention anything about Carolina making a charge.  It's like we're still not noticed in the league.  But, hey, I'm happy with us flying under the radar.

I mean weren't we like 20 points behind them and the Islanders before this run we have gone on.

This is the point I just made on another thread relating to why Rod won’t win the Jack Adams.

Edited by bluedevilcane

Man getting help for two games out of three today seems like a Christmas gift at this point.  

5 out of first

3 out of second

1 ahead of Montreal & Pitt

3 ahead CBJ

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

Next week for the 6 playoff teams we care about:

Was- @Phi, NJ, @Jets (March isn’t easy for Was. TB 3 times!)

NYI- Sens @Sens, Phi (March is really easy)

Car- @Bruins, Jets B2B @Preds

Pit- FLA, BJs, @BJs B2B BOS (rough week for them and a rough March too)

BJs- @NJ, @Pit, Pit (comparable March to us and Pitt)

Mon- west coast swing @LA, @SJ B2B @Ducks.  (Okay March, equal easy to hard games).

just win. Although this gives us an idea how the next week looks for us and the competition.

NYI should be able to separate themselves from everyone with their easy March.  It does make me feel a little better about our rough March when WAS, CLB, and PIT have one too.

7 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Next week for the 6 playoff teams we care about:

Was- @Phi, NJ, @Jets (March isn’t easy for Was. TB 3 times!)

NYI- Sens @Sens, Phi (March is really easy)

Car- @Bruins, Jets B2B @Preds

Pit- FLA, BJs, @BJs B2B BOS (rough week for them and a rough March too)

BJs- @NJ, @Pit, Pit (comparable March to us and Pitt)

Mon- west coast swing @LA, @SJ B2B @Ducks.  (Okay March, equal easy to hard games).

just win. Although this gives us an idea how the next week looks for us and the competition.

NYI should be able to separate themselves from everyone with their easy March.  It does make me feel a little better about our rough March when WAS, CLB, and PIT have one too.

I'm trying not to think about the schedule.  Right now with the way we're playing we can beat ANYBODY in March.  I would not be surprised if we beat Boston Tuesday. They haven't lost a game in regulation in like a month and a half two months; that's insane.  If we don't win I'm sure it's going to be a close game.  I just hope we don't come out like we did vs Florida (started well but looked tired as the game went on; back to back really killed us).  Mrazek bailed us out that game.  If we can come out like we did vs St. Louis at home or even Dallas on the road we'd have a better chance.

Also, Columbus's playoff hopes seem to be fading.  They lost again at home yesterday and they have Pittsburgh, whom has dominated them lately on Tuesday.  So far their rental players haven't given them any luck; instead it seemed to have ruined their chemistry. 

It just goes to show you that it's not the talent that wins you the games (Columbus has a lot of talent); it's chemistry.  The Hurricanes have a lot of chemistry and are very confident bunch now and have been since New Years Eve.  I'm glad no deals were made during the deadline.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

Regarding +/-:  I did a GDT around the next year.  Slavin was dead last on the team in plus minus, something like -16.  He is now a 0. That is some progress.  Pairing him with Hamilton has been a very good idea...

1 hour ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I'm glad no deals were made during the deadline.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I wonder how many on here were saying bad things at that time though? I know I was just wishing for that "magical player", although I also know that several were just saying to hold tight. Chemistry and Rod's influence at their finest. Intensity is picking up, got to avoid the dreaded I word.

Nor do overpaid FA acquisitions. The most consistent winners in the league get that way through the draft, and solid hockey trades; like the Nino deal. They pay big $$$ to their homegrown stars (Aho). The real challenge for the BJ's will come at seasons end, regardless of their finish. Good luck dealing with all those UFA's. I have a sense that Duchene will follow the money wherever it takes him. The Russians say they won't resign; so that leaves Dizingel, who played at OSU. The Canes are only now beginning to see the results of good drafting and development. With our organizational depth, we will be in a strong position this offseason to makes some solid hockey trades for players with term.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

The Canes are only now beginning to see the results of good drafting and development. With our organizational depth, we will be in a strong position this offseason to makes some solid hockey trades for players with term.

And that’s why I still harbor no ill feelings towards Franchise’s tenure as GM (especially considering his predecessor)...he may have not made the deadline trades when we needed him to, but damn he stocked the cupboard well on the drafting.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I'm trying not to think about the schedule.  Right now with the way we're playing we can beat ANYBODY in March.  I would not be surprised if we beat Boston Tuesday. They haven't lost a game in regulation in like a month and a half two months; that's insane.  If we don't win I'm sure it's going to be a close game.  I just hope we don't come out like we did vs Florida (started well but looked tired as the game went on; back to back really killed us).  Mrazek bailed us out that game.  If we can come out like we did vs St. Louis at home or even Dallas on the road we'd have a better chance.

Also, Columbus's playoff hopes seem to be fading.  They lost again at home yesterday and they have Pittsburgh, whom has dominated them lately on Tuesday.  So far their rental players haven't given them any luck; instead it seemed to have ruined their chemistry. 

It just goes to show you that it's not the talent that wins you the games (Columbus has a lot of talent); it's chemistry.  The Hurricanes have a lot of chemistry and are very confident bunch now and have been since New Years Eve.  I'm glad no deals were made during the deadline.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I agree 100% regarding the schedule.  First of all, if you flip that around, I doubt anybody wants to play the Hurricanes right now.  The Canes are playing like a team, and their chemistry is counting in the W department.  This is indeed a week facing 3 tough teams in Boston, Winnipeg, and Nashville, and I agree with one poster who said he would be happy coming out of that with 3 points.  That said, the mindset should be 1 game at a time, 1 period at a time, 1 shift at a time.  The two main differences the Canes have right now is their willingness to hit and their goaltending.  Against Boston and Nashville, there should be two physical games, the type we would not have prevailed in over the past few seasons.  

I think Columbus may have the toughest go of it for 2 reasons:

1) A few new players to integrate into the locker room

2) 5 more road games than home to play.

Pittsburgh is a little beat up.  I like the Canes chances.

3 hours ago, ironman87 said:

Regarding +/-:  I did a GDT around the next year.  Slavin was dead last on the team in plus minus, something like -16.  He is now a 0. That is some progress.  Pairing him with Hamilton has been a very good idea...

I like what I am seeing out of Hamilton as of late.  Seems to be turning into the player that we thought we were getting at the beginning of the season.  I have also noticed a fair amount of grit in his game lately.  Some extra shots to players in front of the net or in the corners, initiating more contact, oh and he has some points lately as well.

• Like 1

Following Saturday's win at FLA, Petr Mrazek (16-12-3) and Curtis McElhinney (17-7-1) have become the first goaltending duo in franchise history to each record 16 wins in the same season.

• Like 7