The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

4 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I agree 100% regarding the schedule.  First of all, if you flip that around, I doubt anybody wants to play the Hurricanes right now.  The Canes are playing like a team, and their chemistry is counting in the W department.  This is indeed a week facing 3 tough teams in Boston, Winnipeg, and Nashville, and I agree with one poster who said he would be happy coming out of that with 3 points.  That said, the mindset should be 1 game at a time, 1 period at a time, 1 shift at a time.  The two main differences the Canes have right now is their willingness to hit and their goaltending.  Against Boston and Nashville, there should be two physical games, the type we would not have prevailed in over the past few seasons.  

I think Columbus may have the toughest go of it for 2 reasons:

1) A few new players to integrate into the locker room

2) 5 more road games than home to play.

Pittsburgh is a little beat up.  I like the Canes chances.

I like our chances to stay in the 3 or move up to the 2 positions in the Metro.  The Isles have faltered lately 2-4-1in their last 7.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

And that’s why I still harbor no ill feelings towards Franchise’s tenure as GM (especially considering his predecessor)...he may have not made the deadline trades when we needed him to, but damn he stocked the cupboard well on the drafting.

It is pretty common in the business world to have a leader for a "building" phase, and change leaders as the organization matures.  GMRF stocked the cupboard, and now DW/TD/RB are making the food.  All deserve credit.

And how the heck did we get Nino for a bag of pucks????? That one still confounds me.

On 3/2/2019 at 3:57 PM, cc said:

I really don’t see it that way. Every game is crucial for 2 points. Those games only have 1 opponent who appears above our station. Tampa.   I look forward to that test. If you can beat them you can take down anyone. Crucial. Yes but all games since Jan 1 have been. Brutal no. IMHO

Well, I'll disagree. Pitt twice, Caps twice, Tampa in the last eight with a B2B the last two games. Pretty brutal to me, 1 day rest between all games prior to the b2b.

• Like 1

This month is brutal. 

It will be a true test of our playoff pedigree. Round everything into shape while making a statement. 

Make the dance and take it all the way. It's time we hoist that beautiful trophy again. 

4 hours ago, bambamcanefan said:

I like our chances to stay in the 3 or move up to the 2 positions in the Metro.  The Isles have faltered lately 2-4-1in their last 7.

If the playoffs started today whom would we face in the 1st round? Just curious.  In NHL now they were saying that with Boston's hot streak that they'll likely face Toronto in the 1st round but Toronto is #3 in the Atlantic and Boston is #2.  Unless it changed last year I always thought the top ranked team (Tampa Bay) right now would be facing the 8th seed or second wild card in Pittsburgh.  That's how it used to be.

Then it would be #2 vs #7, third seed faces sixth and 4th faces 5.  Would we be facing the Islanders?

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

Yes, we would face the Islanders. 

The 2nd and 3rd place team within each division always face each other in the first round.

The NHL wanted to revive division rivalries so it’s not as simple as 1 faces 8, 2 faces 7, 3 faces 6, and 4 faces 5 anymore.

Edited by Kyrule
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Well, I'll disagree. Pitt twice, Caps twice, Tampa in the last eight with a B2B the last two games. Pretty brutal to me, 1 day rest between all games prior to the b2b.

We can do it.  You gotta believe.  We've come too far to fail now.  I still think that 5 game home stand in mid march will be the back breaker.  If we do well during that homestand we're a lock; if we don't we're dead in the water.  It's vs Buffalo, Pitt, MTL, Minnesota and TB (not in that order).

21-6-1 since New Years Eve and that includes 12 wins ON THE ROAD!  I thought it was tougher to play on the road.  There is a saying take care of business at home and play .500 on the road.  We're dominating both right now.  

I'd be more concerned about this teams play if most of those wins above were at home, but it's almost evenly split and that's impressive.

6 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

No different than playoffs. Like others said if we can’t prevail we don’t belong there.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

Slugs are toast.

I'm sure the distraction of contract talk about your savior(s) has nothing to do with it the reversal from 10 wins in a row to 2-7-1 for the last 10.

11 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

Slugs are toast.

I knew they were done when I saw some public complaints from the skaters about the goaltending after our game with them.  That crap should never fly and you know it's not a team when you see it.

31 minutes ago, hag65 said:

public complaints

I'm assuming you mean "public complaints" from the team, hag? If so, that's a great place for our boy to land???

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'm assuming you mean "public complaints" from the team, hag? If so, that's a great place for our boy to land???

Yeah... I saw somewhere a tweet from a Sabre teammate saying you cant expect to win when your goalies let in 5.  Not sure I can put my hands on it now but I was very surprised.

2 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Yeah... I saw somewhere a tweet from a Sabre teammate saying you cant expect to win when your goalies let in 5.  Not sure I can put my hands on it now but I was very surprised.

Edmonton East then?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

If the playoffs started today whom would we face in the 1st round? Just curious.  In NHL now they were saying that with Boston's hot streak that they'll likely face Toronto in the 1st round but Toronto is #3 in the Atlantic and Boston is #2.  Unless it changed last year I always thought the top ranked team (Tampa Bay) right now would be facing the 8th seed or second wild card in Pittsburgh.  That's how it used to be.

Then it would be #2 vs #7, third seed faces sixth and 4th faces 5.  Would we be facing the Islanders?

Hope this helps...

As has been the case since 1979-80, 16 teams will qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The format now is a set bracket that is largely division-based with wild cards.

The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season record and regardless of division. It is possible for one division in each conference to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends just three.

In the First Round, the division winner with the best record in each conference will be matched against the wild card with the lesser record; the wild card with the better record will play the other division winner.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will meet in the First Round within the bracket headed by their respective division winner. First-round winners within each bracket play one another in the Second Round to determine the four participants in the Conference Finals.

Home-ice advantage through the first two rounds goes to the team that placed higher in the regular-season standings. In the Conference Final and Stanley Cup Final, home-ice advantage goes to the team that had the better regular-season record, regardless of the teams' final standing in their respective divisions.

45 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Sam Reinhart, team tried to play it off like he misspoke rather than just bench him.

https://deadspin.com/hockey-man-makes-mild-criticism-immediately-regrets-it-1832467006

Bottom line: if we make the playoffs in anything but the last Wild Card spot we wouldn't have to play Tampa until the Conference finals.   And despite that little seed of doubt in my mind that won't quite go away (in spite of all recent evidence), I think we have a good chance of beating anyone in the East except TB.  Not saying we couldn't win that series, just not realistically likely.   

Btw, if we win tonight that little seed of doubt in my mind just about goes completely away.

Playoffs, all bets are off. Remember 2002?

We were the #3 seed; #1 seed Boston lost to Montreal, #2 seed Philadelphia lost to Ottawa. We beat New Jersey and remained the top seed in the East.

So anything can happen.

Do you think if we go 9-8-0 we still make the playoffs?