The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

1 hour ago, dinz said:

who do we root for in that b2b, pitt or bjs, god, i just KNOW its coming down to final weekend, we have worked too hard to not get in, maybe i should go back to church :)

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I would say Pittsburgh.  If Pitt wins both out right then it keeps Columbus back in the pack. Potentially allowing us to get some distance from the 9th spot.

First off, I'm rooting for no OT.  Then, either Pitt winning both or a split.

• Like 1

When we make the playoffs, I hope to have the opening GDT.  I'm not a perfect member here, and have made mistakes posting, but dadgum I go way back on opening up those good times in the day.  That would be cool again.

• Like 9

Pittsburgh is definitely the team to cheer for.  As much as I would love it if they were the team to not make it in, they have too much veteran leadership and pride compared to the other teams to not make it. 

Our route into the playoffs is through Montreal or Columbus, likely Columbus due to Montreal having the easier schedule.  Columbus not playing well, while having to go up against Pittsburgh x2, Boston x3, NYI x2, Calgary, Montreal, Nashville, and ourselves (Not to mention Edmonton who recently beat them 4-0) is our best chance to gain as much separation as possible.

Ran into Erik Cole this morning at my bagel shop I go to every morning before work.

Just wanted to say hi and ask what he thought our chances were.  Wasn’t expecting the full analytical breakdown he gave me.  It was like he was be interviewed by NHL network.

He said we statistically have the hardest schedule of all teams in the hunt (I disagreed) by a small percentage.  Said if we do make it, it’ll definitely be because we deserve it.

He also echoed something myself and a few others have pointed out.  He said he felt Columbus made too many changes, and he feels like it’s affecting the product on the ice.  I think he thinks they’re the most vulnerable team.

• Like 10

19 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

When we make the playoffs, I hope to have the opening GDT.  I'm not a perfect member here, and have made mistakes posting, but dadgum I go way back on opening up those good times in the day.  That would be cool again.

44373979.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Ran into Erik Cole this morning at my bagel shop I go to every morning before work.

Just wanted to say hi and ask what he thought our chances were.  Wasn’t expecting the full analytical breakdown he gave me.  It was like he was be interviewed by NHL network.

He said we statistically have the hardest schedule of all teams in the hunt (I disagreed) by a small percentage.  Said if we do make it, it’ll definitely be because we deserve it.

He also echoed something myself and a few others have pointed out.  He said he felt Columbus made too many changes, and he feels like it’s affecting the product on the ice.  I think he thinks they’re the most vulnerable team.

Good info PK.

If Cole said it, I believe it.

• Like 1

Nice interview with Coach Rod on NHL Now on NHL Network today, it covered a wide range of stuff about the storm surges, the team streak, how he got into coaching, his fitness, everything.  He was asked about Aho and one thing he said caught my ear.  Rod said, “Aho hates to lose, just hates it.”  I remember hearing Phil Esposito on XM for years saying the best players are those that “hate to lose...everybody loves to win, those guys are easy, I want guys that hate to lose.”  Lots of times during the Eric Staal era, I thought we had leadership and players that loved to win, but didn’t really hate to lose...they sort of accepted it.  #culturechange

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Nah, he will just get Tim Peel for the rest of his life 

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

We can only hope...

You sure know how to hurt a guy.... 😉:lol:😂

48 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Pens 3-0 win over Jackets.

Jackets GM is well on his way to getting fired.

He'll get fired after Bobs and Panarin go to free agency this summer.

two games in this weekend back to back .   4 points and  then come tuesday  another 2 points  should help the canes  gain some distance .   with the jackets losing that  only puts the canes , habs and pens in a rat race for the final 3 playoff spots ,  i suspect   if carolina and  pittsburgh both get in  then that makes things nice  and spicy  meatball !   the canes  just have to show  if they can do it  finally after 9 stinking years !  

Habs also lost cleanly.  Tonight is the night the Canes can put distance between them and TWO teams.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Now time for the Evil Empire to go on a prolonged losing streak 

They have to beat Columbus on Saturday too then, go on the prolonged losing streak.

Imo, tonight begins the gauntlet of the evil schedule maker.. Nonetheless its all about pts and not the opponent.. (isn't this a great time to be a Canes Fan) 

• Like 2

So been out of the country for a couple of weeks. Watching the boards but taking a little break too. What a nice run the Canes have continued during that time! I trust that overall the team has been looking good for the most part given the scores. Seems from reading here, that Dougie is really stepping up and Nino is keeping his change of scenery breakout rolling and goaltending has been really good. Since I can't comment on recent play, but I simply can't not post, I thought I'd just do a bunch of random thoughts thinking a bit on this season and certain players.

It is always interesting trying to assign credit to system/attitude and talent. But clearly we have them both going. It seems that everyone is feeling the Brind'Amour style picking guys up and getting the most out of them, but I'd also point out that we do have talent too. You simply do not go on the run we've been on in the NHL without it. 

Anyways, the sum of the parts of the moves of the committee as well as some made by Francis, are hard to argue with at the moment. I don't think they were perfect. I'll put a couple of down side point here then some random thoughts in the next one.

Elias Lindholm is on a 1.06 ppg pace. His is tied for #20 in the NHL in points. Yes he is playing with All Stars, but still, this is a guy that I and others predicted had this in him, and would do it last year. He did not, and it just pangs a bit that he is doing it elsewhere. OK, we got Dougie and Ferland and maybe Fox, but still. 

The Skinner trade. Skinner lit things up after leaving here too. But he will end up with another year on a losing team as Buffalo continues to descend. Since the Slugs will either overpay him or lose him, and we are winning without him, this still ends up being a long term good move in terms of Skinner himself. But the return will go down as pretty pathetic unless we hit on one of the late round picks we got. It is not Cliff Pu's fault that he was the only named player in that deal, or that his name, unfortunately lends itself so neatly to a comparison to the value we got. But now that he's been traded, the return will likely go down as pretty Puthetic.