The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

1 hour ago, caneswincup said:

Another night with new teams to root for. Guess it’ll be Caps and Bruins tonight. Would rather see the caps move further from us than the Pens kicking is back to the WC.

I hate looking in the rear view mirror and I really want to see us make a run for the top. Yet with so few games remaining a Caps win is the better pick of poison.

2 hours ago, caneswincup said:

Another night with new teams to root for. Guess it’ll be Caps and Bruins tonight. Would rather see the caps move further from us than the Pens kicking is back to the WC.

Columbus leading 5-1 in the second

8 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

The only way I see this derailing is a major injury.

You called it out loud twice - you got it: deHaan is out indefinitely...

55 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

That one can be overcome.   Slagin, Aho, TT,  Nino on the other hand...

4 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Caniac514, where did you see that? The one credible announcement I saw says "he will make a normal recovery without restrictions to his ability to play hockey IN THE NEAR FUTURE". Says nothing about "indefinitely", and although Hadyn was recalled, that does not translate to being out indefinitely as it might only be precautionary? Do you have additional information? 

Edited by KJUNKANE

It’s tough waiting all week for us to play again. Especially seeing the other teams getting wins. Friday’s game is huge. It looks like CBJ are playing better. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Caniac514, where did you see that? The one credible announcement I saw says "he will make a normal recovery without restrictions to his ability to play hockey IN THE NEAR FUTURE". Says nothing about "indefinitely", and although Hadyn was recalled, that does not translate to being out indefinitely as it might only be precautionary? Do you have additional information? 

It was an nhl.com headline I saw first yesterday: https://www.nhl.com/news/hurricanes-defenseman-calvin-de-haan-out-indefinitely/c-305715994

I guess "in the near future" doesn't cancel "indefinitely", i.e. no timing for his return, but it's not my words choice :)

hope he will be all right. Get well soon, Calvin!

If we end up with more points than 5 of the 8 Western Conference playoff teams (which is currently the case), and still miss out ourselves, I shall not be responsible for my actions.

1 hour ago, Caniac514 said:

It was an nhl.com headline I saw first yesterday: https://www.nhl.com/news/hurricanes-defenseman-calvin-de-haan-out-indefinitely/c-305715994

I guess "in the near future" doesn't cancel "indefinitely", i.e. no timing for his return, but it's not my words choice :)

hope he will be all right. Get well soon, Calvin!

Yeah, thanks for that Caniac514, but as always the rather nebulous information which surrounds any injury, I suppose for protective purposes by the team, makes it difficult to factually understand an "injury". As in this case, and in specific this NHL writer, there's free liberty to speculate about matters about which a writer has no understanding. For instance with this so called "eye injury", that could range from a laceration to the eyelid to fracture of the orbital bone around the eye to retinal detachment to an actual eye globe rupture? Now granted the last injury, eye globe rupture, would be permanent damage and career ending, but as you say, "in the near future" and 'indefinitely" are neither mutually exclusive, nor do they say when Calvin will be back on the ice? Hadyn Fleury appears to have his chance to make his case to be on the big team, at a very crucial time, and I hope he takes advantage of this misfortune.

• Like 1

DeHaan is such a solid defender. He will be missed for sure. But I think getting Fleury some more NHL games now can't hurt. Teams often need more than 6 defenders in the playoffs. 

94%? I would not have thought that! Shows how hard it is for teams to gain. Think of how hard it was to get in. 

Very exciting. :ohyeah:

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yeah, thanks for that Caniac514, but as always the rather nebulous information which surrounds any injury, I suppose for protective purposes by the team, makes it difficult to factually understand an "injury". As in this case, and in specific this NHL writer, there's free liberty to speculate about matters about which a writer has no understanding. For instance with this so called "eye injury", that could range from a laceration to the eyelid to fracture of the orbital bone around the eye to retinal detachment to an actual eye globe rupture? Now granted the last injury, eye globe rupture, would be permanent damage and career ending, but as you say, "in the near future" and 'indefinitely" are neither mutually exclusive, nor do they say when Calvin will be back on the ice? Hadyn Fleury appears to have his chance to make his case to be on the big team, at a very crucial time, and I hope he takes advantage of this misfortune.

It's hard to tell from the video but after freezing the video it looks to me the injury was at the top bridge of the nose and the corner of the eye. https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/03/12/carolina-hurricanes-calvin-de-haan-left-game-after-facial-injury/

58 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

What an odd lack of emotion/remorse from Kerfoot with de Haan sprawling at his feet I assume yelling. 

Might have just though he caught him in the face, but I dont know Kerfoots rep. All that being said the league seemed pretty free with suspensions this weekend and I fully expected to hear of at least one from this game with the very intentional elbow Aho took to the face but just crickets from the NHL.

19 hours ago, cc said:

Well he has gone cold the last 10 games.  5 assists only.  No Goals since 2/15. 

Buffalo is 2 and 8 in that stretch.

We endured his streaky nature.    Had enough of that.

Don't care how many points or goals he gets...It was a desperate trade deadline type of deal that was made before the season even started, & we got Pu for him from a team that had 3 first round picks in this year's draft...we could get one of them even with a condition of him resigning?

Yes, I know they just wanted him gone, but we were robbed.

Nino for Rask did make up for this blunder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

:goodpost:

Have to agree to disagree. The intangibles of team chemistry have to be considered. Assuming he did not fit Rods blueprint, him being jettisoned was needed. Points don’t mean a thing without overall team results. 

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

It's hard to tell from the video but after freezing the video it looks to me the injury was at the top bridge of the nose and the corner of the eye.

It looks like the blood under his eye - I am thinking from the cut, but yeah, it's hard to tell...

Waiting for the further updates :crossfingers: