The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Another night of scoreboard watching 👀

Caps @ Flyers  Although logic would say we should hope the Caps can put another nail in the Flyers playoff coffin I'm holding out that we can run at the Caps who are 6 points ahead of us and we play twice later this month. Convoluted logic but logic none the less.

Habs @ Isles  I still want to make a run at the isles but it's time to put the Habs down.Only keeping pace with the Isles is ok if they can make the Habs playoff hopes fade.

Pens @ Sabres This ones easy. Wake up Jeff and do your old friends a solid. We are Sabre fans tonight.

32 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Another night of scoreboard watching 👀

Caps @ Flyers  Although logic would say we should hope the Caps can put another nail in the Flyers playoff coffin I'm holding out that we can run at the Caps who are 6 points ahead of us and we play twice later this month. Convoluted logic but logic none the less.

Habs @ Isles  I still want to make a run at the isles but it's time to put the Habs down.Only keeping pace with the Isles is ok if they can make the Habs playoff hopes fade.

Pens @ Sabres This ones easy. Wake up Jeff and do your old friends a solid. We are Sabre fans tonight.

Yeah first things first. Dagger in the teams that could bounce us: Montreal and Columbus must lose until they are at least 4-5 back IMO. Then we can make a run at Pitt or the Islanders. Washington is pretty close to out of reach. 

A take on Dougie's offense and that he should probably be getting more ice time:

https://www.canescountry.com/2019/3/13/18264034/carolina-hurricanes-dougie-hamilton-advanced-stats-by-the-numbers-power-play

It will be interesting to see how the D is approached in the off-season. Something has to give. We just have such an obvious abundance of D. After reading that piece on Dougie, makes me want to keep him. But Pesce is soooo good at stopping the other team's scoring. Faulk, despite the "ReFaulkaissance" we are seeing this year, is probably the guy to trade, actually maybe because of the ReFaulkaissance, which finally could let us sell high.  I'm thinking that it would have to be a place Faulk wants to go, so that it could be a sign and trade or trade and sign to get the return up since he's down to one year on the contract. Or maybe package him. 

But if the return was right we could trade anyone.

TVR is not likely for two reasons. One, low return. Two, teams need some guys at the low end of the pay scale and almost every team needs this to be at LEAST 2 d men and almost always 3 or more D men. (This is why it also makes sense to get Fleury and or Bean in there eventually, as well as Fox). 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Yeah first things first. Dagger in the teams that could bounce us: Montreal and Columbus must lose until they are at least 4-5 back IMO. Then we can make a run at Pitt or the Islanders. Washington is pretty close to out of reach. 

Yeah, pretty simple. Montreal and Columbus must be eliminated. Anything above that is an extra benefit.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

A take on Dougie's offense and that he should probably be getting more ice time:

https://www.canescountry.com/2019/3/13/18264034/carolina-hurricanes-dougie-hamilton-advanced-stats-by-the-numbers-power-play

It will be interesting to see how the D is approached in the off-season. Something has to give. We just have such an obvious abundance of D. After reading that piece on Dougie, makes me want to keep him. But Pesce is soooo good at stopping the other team's scoring. Faulk, despite the "ReFaulkaissance" we are seeing this year, is probably the guy to trade, actually maybe because of the ReFaulkaissance, which finally could let us sell high.  I'm thinking that it would have to be a place Faulk wants to go, so that it could be a sign and trade or trade and sign to get the return up since he's down to one year on the contract. Or maybe package him. 

But if the return was right we could trade anyone.

TVR is not likely for two reasons. One, low return. Two, teams need some guys at the low end of the pay scale and almost every team needs this to be at LEAST 2 d men and almost always 3 or more D men. (This is why it also makes sense to get Fleury and or Bean in there eventually, as well as Fox). 

It is fun to play GM.  With, or without (I prefer with), the signing of Fox, the Canes have excess at D. All of the currently on board, plus Bean, Fleury, McKewon, and (Fox) gives them 10;  6RH, 4LH.  Williams is the team's only RH shooting forward, so I, as GM, plan to try and trade my excess D for a RH shooting forward.  I am not looking to make a trade just for the heck of it, I would like to improve the team.  Good trades (see the Calgary/Carolina deal) usually mean both teams giving up something they like.

Point being that Faulk has been on the trade market for the past two years, and they have not found a partner.  It is true that his stats and stature are up right now, but at the same time only 1 year shall remain on his current contract come the season's end.  IF the team signs Fox, I can see McKewon doing the same type of role as TVR, if injuries required him to.  Thus, Hamilton and TVR out will bring the best return in, IMO.  After Fox signs, that would still leave us with 4LH and 4RH shooting defenders, and hopefully a good RH forward in return.

Flyers and Habs for me tonight.  They're old news - i'm looking ahead.  If either of them bounce the Canes, it's because the Canes run out of gas, not because either of them win tonight.

Sabres tonight as well, for 3 reasons - 1) we need to put the Pens back where Philly and Montreal are, 2) they have some guy named Skinner who i will rarely pull against, and 3) it's the bloody Pens and i'd be pulling against them if they were the last team on Earth...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, beboplar said:

It is fun to play GM.  With, or without (I prefer with), the signing of Fox, the Canes have excess at D. All of the currently on board, plus Bean, Fleury, McKewon, and (Fox) gives them 10;  6RH, 4LH.  Williams is the team's only RH shooting forward, so I, as GM, plan to try and trade my excess D for a RH shooting forward.  I am not looking to make a trade just for the heck of it, I would like to improve the team.  Good trades (see the Calgary/Carolina deal) usually mean both teams giving up something they like.

Point being that Faulk has been on the trade market for the past two years, and they have not found a partner.  It is true that his stats and stature are up right now, but at the same time only 1 year shall remain on his current contract come the season's end.  IF the team signs Fox, I can see McKewon doing the same type of role as TVR, if injuries required him to.  Thus, Hamilton and TVR out will bring the best return in, IMO.  After Fox signs, that would still leave us with 4LH and 4RH shooting defenders, and hopefully a good RH forward in return.

The beauty of the young guns is their entry level deals and even lower priced contracts if they are resigned while still 'bottom pair' guys (see Fleury). As I put in my other post, when playing GM one subtlety of cap management is how much you can spend on your D. Teams almost have to save some money here, especially after the third guy and most especially on the bottom pair. Thus, if a team can have and effective bottom 3 on D, but within budget, then there is the cash to spend on forwards, and goalie. 

Hamilton, Faulk, DeHaan, Pesce, and Slavin, all make $4-5.7 million AAV, with Pesce at the low end and Hamilton at the high end. That's way too much cap devoted to D for the long run. Right now we can do it because we are getting insane value on some forwards: Aho, TT, Svech and Ferland cost $5.4 million FOR ALL 4 of them. That's less than Dougie himself. 

But as Aho and TT re-sign and we consider picking up another big forward and likely have to spend more in goal, we need to shift some of that D salary to lower priced guys (entry level Fox, and lower priced RFA deal for Fleury). And move at LEAST one of those bigger D salaries out, and really possibly two. Even Bean now showing real signs of being ready soon, the D could get a bit rejiggered in the next two years. This is not all bad.

The bad news is seeing guys go. But the upside is what we can get back on offense (and possibly goal) should combine with a still strong D for a whole lot of upside.

I do think Faulk's trade value should be heading up. My conspiracy area (the one that thinks we're using this glut of D to slow play Fleury's ascent there by driving his price down in this RFA deal), thinks Faulk is seeing more ice time than Dougy in part to prop up Faulk's pricetag. Faulk's one year left is a concern unless the team can convince him to do a sign and trade type thing. 

We may end up having to trade the flashier, more productive Hamilton, but the way he's been playing lately, I'd love to roll with at least Dougie and Slavin as the uber core. It will be interesting to see what actually plays out. 

I also think we should sign Fleury to term if we can get him cheap due to his low ice time. He still has much higher upside. He could be one of those huge value guys in a couple of years where people say they can't believe the deal we got on him.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

I do think Faulk's trade value should be heading up. My conspiracy area (the one that thinks we're using this glut of D to slow play Fleury's ascent there by driving his price down in this RFA deal), thinks Faulk is seeing more ice time than Dougy in part to prop up Faulk's pricetag. Faulk's one year left is a concern unless the team can convince him to do a sign and trade type thing. 

We may end up having to trade the flashier, more productive Hamilton, but the way he's been playing lately, I'd love to roll with at least Dougie and Slavin as the uber core. It will be interesting to see what actually plays out. 

I also think we should sign Fleury to term if we can get him cheap due to his low ice time. He still has much higher upside. He could be one of those huge value guys in a couple of years where people say they can't believe the deal we got on him.

That's the thing, Faulk's play should have his value headed up way, but his term at this point (and NTC?) have got to severely limit it.  I won't even mention Skinner's return, but think back to when we were considering Duchene with 2 years left on his contract and how much that devalued him in our minds.  As you say, seems like it would almost have to be a sign and trade to get back anything close to fair value for him.

Having said that, I'm not sure I want to give up Hamilton unless it's an exceptional deal.  Seems he may well be the legit young top pair scoring defenseman we though we were getting, and they are very difficult to acquire.       

40 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

That's the thing, Faulk's play should have his value headed up way, but his term at this point (and NTC?) have got to severely limit it.  I won't even mention Skinner's return, but think back to when we were considering Duchene with 2 years left on his contract and how much that devalued him in our minds.  As you say, seems like it would almost have to be a sign and trade to get back anything close to fair value for him.

Having said that, I'm not sure I want to give up Hamilton unless it's an exceptional deal.  Seems he may well be the legit young top pair scoring defenseman we though we were getting, and they are very difficult to acquire.       

I agree with all of it. That's the dilemma. We have 3 top 4 RHD for 2 slots, and that's before Fox. If we assume that TVR will not fetch much and that we have to dump salary, then we would have to trade Faulk, Pesce, or Dougie. But they are all playing well. Gotta give to get, but with the ReFaulkaissance, it's really picking your poison. When Dougie was struggling it seemed easy to move him. But their's also be a ReDougieaissance. Pesce even stumbled for a period, but yes he's back too. 

Faulk still seems best since he could regress, and well, Dougie is still thought of as a top pair guy, and dramatic offensively, and Pesce is just so strong of a shut down guy, and on a pretty good deal. But what does Faulk expect $$$ wise to re-sign? Would he be amenable to a trade and sign (see m-boy Stone), or sign and trade. 

Every year Pittsburgh looks like their finally going to miss and turns on the jets in the final 25 games. I guess it's smart so their more rested for the playoffs but it seems like a butt puckering strategy.

Yep, leading Sabres in 3rd 3-0, darn it. BUT, we've got 2 times to play them yet, so could make it interesting?

Edited by KJUNKANE

montreal now only has 11 games left. They are 2 pts out but if we can rack up some points this weekend, it will really make it tougher on them and also seperate them from the below cut line pack. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canes06cup17 said:

I hope Ferland is able to go but not if he will miss more games due to coming back too soon. 

He'll play a period, then tell RB he can't go any further.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

montreal now only has 11 games left. They are 2 pts out but if we can rack up some points this weekend, it will really make it tougher on them and also seperate them from the below cut line pack. 

We also own the tie-breaker so we are essentially 2.5 points ahead with two games in hand.

7 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

All the wrong teams won tonight.  That's OK, Canes will do their part and all be well.

Umm did you want Montreal to win?

7 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

If we want to finish 8th in the East,  I want to finish ahead of the Isles.

Irrelevant. In is in

The most important game f the last 9 years is tonight.  I can't freaking wait.   If the Canes can win both back to backs this weekend we will be sitting real pretty and a bit of pressure will be off.  

Saturday night is going to be crazy at the PNC.