The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

4 hours ago, cc said:

Umm did you want Montreal to win?

Absolutely.  As i said in an earlier post, Montreal is behind us.  Only way they usurp the Canes is if the Canes self-destruct.  Too many years of futility here if we're all looking at WC2 as the promised land.  I'm not.  I want 2nd, or even 1st, in the division.  The path to that got harder last night.

24 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Absolutely.  As i said in an earlier post, Montreal is behind us.  Only way they usurp the Canes is if the Canes self-destruct.  Too many years of futility here if we're all looking at WC2 as the promised land.  I'm not.  I want 2nd, or even 1st, in the division.  The path to that got harder last night.

Well, my friend, prepare to be disappointed, as even as optimistic as I am, 6-8 points out of 2nd and 1st respectively, with 12 games to go is a huge distance to close, even if we went 12-0? Myself, I am content with 3rd, not that I don't "want' either of the other two, but my blood pressure cannot take that stress. Good luck

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Well, my friend, prepare to be disappointed, as even as optimistic as I am, 6-8 points out of 2nd and 1st respectively, with 12 games to go is a huge distance to close, even if we went 12-0? Myself, I am content with 3rd, not that I don't "want' either of the other two, but my blood pressure cannot take that stress. Good luck

My disappointment came last night - those 2 points were huge and they went the wrong way, as far as i'm concerned.  There's still a slim chance, but yow.

Just make the playoffs and it will be a good year. 2nd in division is not out of the question either even sitting 8 points back, 2 games in hand, and 2 games against Washington. All division games here on in will make a huge difference in standings. 

10 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I'll be happy to get into the dance and then cause all sorts of havoc.

Agree 100% I dont care whether its 1st,2nd,3rd,WC1,orWC2 just make the dance and make some noise 

• Like 1

After a such a long absence, making the playoffs, even as the #8 seed, is the mission.  Looking back at championship teams in other sports, getting that playoff experience, whether winning tough games and tough series or building up the knowledge of what will it take to get us over the next hump, is what we are after this year.  Anything can happen in any series once two teams meet in he post season.  Teams get hot, key players get injured.  Do I expect the Canes to win the Cup this season?  NO.  Would I prefer them to not have to play Tampa in the 1st round?  YES.  That said, making the playoffs is priority #1, so Montreal losing is most definitely a good thing.

• Like 1

We finished +15 in 2009 and 6th in the conference and made it to the conference finals.  I didn't expect that to happen but it did.

We are +14 right now and in 7th.

First step is to get in the tournament.  Then all you have to do it win 4 out of every 7, which is a lesser pace than we are doing now.  I like our chances from any position other than 8th to make some serious noise.

49 minutes ago, hag65 said:

We finished +15 in 2009 and 6th in the conference and made it to the conference finals.  I didn't expect that to happen but it did.

We are +14 right now and in 7th.

First step is to get in the tournament.  Then all you have to do it win 4 out of every 7, which is a lesser pace than we are doing now.  I like our chances from any position other than 8th to make some serious noise.

I agree with that and dont want them to have to play the Bolts, but with that said we held them in check and held the lead on them more 3/4 of a game in their barn. While  I certainly would not put money on the Canes winning a series against them I am not scared of them. 

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Absolutely.  As i said in an earlier post, Montreal is behind us.

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Umm did you want Montreal to win? 

SO- you wanted a team that is chasing us to gain on us.  I was the one asked if you wanted them to win(Montreal)

Edited by cc

4 hours ago, cc said:

SO- you wanted a team that is chasing us to gain on us.  I was the one asked if you wanted them to win(Montreal)

SO- you wanted a team that we're chasing to increase their lead on us.  Of course i didn't want Montreal to win, but i didn't want NYI to win either and one of them had to.  I think us catching the Isles is more-likely than the Habs catching us and as such, i'd rather see the Isles lose.  You can make whatever you want of it, but i'm not going to cheer the team i'm wanting to catch winning a game.

Edited by realmdrakkar

22 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I still think this will go all the way down to the last couple of games.  It really is a dog fight.

I agree 100%. Going .500 in the next 12 probably gets us in. Not an easy task with 2 against the Stanley Cup champs, 2 against Pitt who is getting into playoff gear, 1 against TBL who is in a league of it's own, 1 against Toronto, 1 against MTL who is fighting for a slot. 2 with Phi who has been hot. 12 pts is no easy task and this could go down to the last game of the year. I got tkts for the TBL game expecting a war and gotta get TKTs for the Devils game as that could be the decisive game.

On 3/15/2019 at 9:43 AM, realmdrakkar said:

I could see us missing out even if the Canes don't self-destruct, due to a number of factors. 

• Most here (as well as Brindy) agree that the Canes "win margin" is pretty small compared to the better teams in the league due to the nature of our offense.  We don't have the talent of some of the better teams but we make up for it in pressure and all out hustle.  As teams claw for playoff spots/ positions, it could become even harder to out work them.
  • Many here recognize that hockey has the biggest degree of "randomness" (luck) of all the major sports.  A team can outplay the opposition but a couple posts that go the wrong way, random unintended deflections, ruts in the ice, bad or missed calls, etc. can still tilt the outcome in the wrong direction. It's not like you can depend on the Canes winning just because they play better.
  • A hot goalie can easily steal a game and it doesn't have to be a 2 time Vezina winner (screw you Bob).  We've had backups do the same to us way too many times in the past.

First order of business for the Canes is to rack up as many points as possible.  But as far as score board watching, if a team ahead of us is playing a team with a legitimate chance of catching us, I'm pulling for the team ahead of us. The benefit from us passing a team ahead of us is way smaller than the penalty of a team behind us catching us.  Difference between the 1st Wild Card spot and the 2nd Wild Card spot is big, 1st round against TB vs Caps or Isles.  Finish 2nd, 3rd, or 1st WC and we're playing Pens, CBJ, Isles, or Caps, with the added benefit of home ice if we could climb to 2nd.  But drop 2 spots and we're out completely.  The risk/ reward equation seems pretty clear to me.   

• Like 3

I like ^. These last 12 are a war, start tonight and put the Buffs out of their misery early. Start early and punish them. 12 points are close to a must,let's narrow it to 10.

I want us to make the playoffs and I will  enjoy the wins,suffer the losses until the season ends with us hopefully above the cut line.  What I will not do is say “we are the same old Canes”. We are a better team and are headed in the  right direction. Go Canes! 

On 3/15/2019 at 11:29 AM, hag65 said:

First step is to get in the tournament. 

This.

That's all it is, a tournament. The most hotly contested one in sports, but like the teams in every other post-season, what matters when the playoffs start is how you're trending and whether you are built for the long haul. This team is answering both questions right. 

• Like 2

Risk vs. reward.  The reward of teams ahead of us losing is that we get an extra home game in the playoffs.  The risk of teams behind us winning is that we don't make the playoffs at all.

I understand the concept of wanting to improve the positioning to play a 'lesser' team, but that's something only a middling playoff team needs to worry about.  A dominant playoff team doesn't care who they play. A scratch-and-claw playoff team (like the Canes) doesn't care, either.  Making it to the dance is the reward, and if you are dreaming really big.. like a Cup.. you WANT to play the #1 or #2 early, before they know what hit them.

Edited by caniac-1-1

9 minutes ago, caniac-1-1 said:

Risk vs. reward.  The reward of teams ahead of us losing is that we get an extra home game in the playoffs.  The risk of teams behind us winning is that we don't make the playoffs at all.

I understand the concept of wanting to improve the positioning to play a 'lesser' team, but that's something only a middling playoff team needs to worry about.  A dominant playoff team doesn't care who they play. A scratch-and-claw playoff team (like the Canes) doesn't care, either.  Making it to the dance is the reward, and if you are dreaming really big.. like a Cup.. you WANT to play the #1 or #2 early, before they know what hit them.

I know in the playoffs and tournaments it always has the highest playing the lowest (Ex: TB would play CBJ if playoffs started today).  Most of the time that make it pretty much a given that the higher ranked team wins.  Maybe in hockey it should be changed up a bit? Like maybe TB should face Washington in first round, Boston vs. NY Islanders and Toronto vs Pitt (this is 1, 2 and 3 in Atlantic vs 1,2,3 in Metro.  Then maybe WC one should face WC 2 or Canes vs. Columbus.  Of course the higher seed will have home ice advantage in the first round and so on.  This in my opinion will be a little more of a challenging format IMO.  Of course it can be switched around but I think maybe the NHL should make it like that.  Because right now, TB and Columbus.  Come on, everyone knows that TB will likely destroy Columbus in the first round.  TB and Washington on the other hand; that will make for an interesting first round.  Washington is the team to beat regardless of TB's record now Washington won the cup last year so they are the defending champs.  Washington gets knocked off in the playoffs this year hats off to the team that does it.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

Sportsfan1-2, interesting you say that as for years, and I know it is heresy in these parts to state, but to me despite all the hype put out, the NCAA basketball tournament epitomizes what you've stated. But IMHO, it compounds playing a #1 seed against a #16 by placing the #1 in their back yard making it in essence a "home game" for the fortunate. In college football for instance, certainly that can happen, but not quite as blatantly as basketball. Of course, the counter argument in basketball is that the #1s have "earned" their advantages by playing a grueling 30 game schedule, and to some degree, I do see that vs giving a team that just might have gotten in the tournament by winning their conference championship. But in my mind, stacking the deck for the higher seeds does not credibly crown THE best basketball team. Now, as a disclaimer to my heretical thought, all reading this should know that I'm a dyed in the wool SEC fan, and even more so, an LSU fan so I apologize, but I like to think that I come to this position objectively?

Also, just my $.02. 

Edited by KJUNKANE

36 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I know in the playoffs and tournaments it always has the highest playing the lowest (Ex: TB would play CBJ if playoffs started today).  Most of the time that make it pretty much a given that the higher ranked team wins.  Maybe in hockey it should be changed up a bit? Like maybe TB should face Washington in first round, Boston vs. NY Islanders and Toronto vs Pitt (this is 1, 2 and 3 in Atlantic vs 1,2,3 in Metro.  Then maybe WC one should face WC 2 or Canes vs. Columbus.  Of course the higher seed will have home ice advantage in the first round and so on.  This in my opinion will be a little more of a challenging format IMO.  Of course it can be switched around but I think maybe the NHL should make it like that.  Because right now, TB and Columbus.  Come on, everyone knows that TB will likely destroy Columbus in the first round.  TB and Washington on the other hand; that will make for an interesting first round.  Washington is the team to beat regardless of TB's record now Washington won the cup last year so they are the defending champs.  Washington gets knocked off in the playoffs this year hats off to the team that does it.

Just my two cents.

In that type of format there is no reward for finishing high in the division. Why not just barely make it in and face lesser teams? I dont think it is so important for the Canes to have home ice advantage either, look at their road record. 

• Like 2

When it comes to hockey and who plays who seeding wise, it's the right format as is, IMO. Furthermore, the difference between #1 and #8 seeds in the NHL, I think is a slimmer margin than most other sports as well as the mention by someone of "luck" in hockey that decides many periods and games in a parity filled equation of teams. NOT that some teams are lucky, but's its no secret that solid, consistent play produces fortunate circumstances over time. As someone else noted, NHL playoffs tend to reflect the late season trends more also. #8 seeds have produced a cup winner this decade, and several more that made deep runs. GET IN trending the right direction and all bets are off given a measure of the same consistent play. And like someone else said, we have been winning 7 game series for some time now and have shown consistently(minus WPG of course) the work ethic and enough offense to be a partner to stellar goaltending. I look at it like, we have all the pieces, and if all those pieces were to come together and be at their best in the form of peaking in the post season, I would expect us to be a really hard out for anybody.

Anything can happen in a series, but the better team tends to win, and the more better they are the more they tend to win. Tampa is not only loaded at every position on the ice, but they have playoff experience. I'd still rather make the playoffs and have to face them than miss, but this year they are the one team to avoid early if at all possible. They have a +93 goal differential for crying out loud compared to Pit/Was/NYI: +23-32. 

Of course, why not just keep pushing, the higher the better, and home ice would be very cool, but #3 Metro would have me smiling a lot for than WC2.

This next run of games is going to be very interesting. 7/8 are at home, but vs. tough opposition. 

I have taken a slight pause with our last two game not being our A game, but overall I still feel good about it.

It's weird because the first three teams up next all have significant winning road records (Tampa is 25-7-2....on the road. (again why we need to get past WC2)). 

But these guys seem to rise to the occasion overall, especially if they don't get too much time off. And the spacing on these games seems about perfect for this group: 2 days off to recover from the B2B, then they play every other night for 7 straight games. 

The trick, aside from getting points vs Tampa, will be that one B2B snuck in there in Pittsburgh followed by going to Toronto. 

The team will have to keep rev'd up to get past this schedule. But if they do, will they ever be geared up for playoffs after facing that gauntlet. 

• Like 1