The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

Anything can happen in a series, but the better team tends to win, and the more better they are the more they tend to win. Tampa is not only loaded at every position on the ice, but they have playoff experience. I'd still rather make the playoffs and have to face them than miss, but this year they are the one team to avoid early if at all possible. They have a +93 goal differential for crying out loud compared to Pit/Was/NYI: +23-32. 

Of course, why not just keep pushing, the higher the better, and home ice would be very cool, but #3 Metro would have me smiling a lot for than WC2.

I still think we are able to beat Tampa.  We are one of the few teams this year to play them tough both games.  But I agree.  We need to push for 3rd in Metro.  I've been saying this many, many times; this homestand will be a measuring stick for what position in the standings the team will finish by years end.  We have Pittsburgh Tuesday, Tampa Thursday, Minnesota and Montreal. 

We're 5-2-1 March thus far.  I checked our February record and it was 6-2 after 8 so we're only 1 point off last month's franchise record for points in a month of February pace.

I would say anything less than 8 points on this homestand would be a negative.  We need to have a good homestand; something like 4-1 or 4-0-1 even.  We had a 4-1 road trip recently (definitely possible to have that same success at home on this homestand).  I mean 7 of our last 11 are at home.  Time for the team to take advantage of that.  Yes, our road record is good too but it's always nice to have home ice advantage in the playoffs at some point (if we go deep and end up being ranked higher than the team we end up facing in the later rounds).

This team tends to laugh off B2B's, but that B2B at home vs Philly and then road in Pittsburgh followed by a 3 in 4 in Toronto will tough. To me, this puts even more pressure on this homestand. 

The tale could be told by these next 3. The next three team's combined road record is 62-33-11. A lot of that is Tampa. I still like our team vs any team other than Tampa (how great would a win be Thursday) though. 

Anything can happen once the playoffs start. As I mentioned before, back in 2002, we ended up being the top seed in the east because the #1 and #2 seeds were upset.

Also, Edmonton, a #8 seed in 2006, ran rough-shot and made it the SCF.

Scoreboards watching today! Flyer vs. Evil Empire and Isles @ Wild.

It's always been mostly about us, but Montreal goes to Philly then gets the Islanders. If they whiff on those and we get one win in our next 3, we'd be up on them by 6 points and have them in our barn for the final stroke. 

I don't mean to begrudge the point. Yes, anything can absolutely happen in the playoffs. But if we get WC2,  that thing that would have to happen would be that we would have to beat a juggernaut 4 times out of 7 without home ice. Yes, I'd rather try than look over next year's draft options while the Cane's golf, but Tampa is 30-6-2 at home and 25-7-2 on the road. They are head and shoulders above any other team in the NHL, and it's pretty long shoulders and a pretty big head. 

If that's the task, I like us to have a better chance than we'll be given, but a small chance still. 

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

I like us to have a better chance than we'll be given, but a small chance still. 

At the beginning of the season I would of said any chance would be a welcome change.

Just now, OBXer said:

At the beginning of the season I would of said any chance would be a welcome change.

Absolutely. 

If it needs clarification, I'm not even considering what "we" need to do.  "We" need to win.  Get as high a seed as possible.  I'm more talking about who I'm rooting for between a team above us and a team below us.  I want our competition for a playoff spot to lose, in all cases, so that the consolation prize is still a playoff spot, WC2 or no.

29 minutes ago, remkin said:

I don't mean to begrudge the point. Yes, anything can absolutely happen in the playoffs. But if we get WC2,  that thing that would have to happen would be that we would have to beat a juggernaut 4 times out of 7 without home ice. Yes, I'd rather try than look over next year's draft options while the Cane's golf, but Tampa is 30-6-2 at home and 25-7-2 on the road. They are head and shoulders above any other team in the NHL, and it's pretty long shoulders and a pretty big head. 

If that's the task, I like us to have a better chance than we'll be given, but a small chance still. 

Remember 2002. Detroit was a “dream team”. We came within a beat of going up 2 to 1 on them in the finals.  BELIEVE. The fans did then....they knew no other way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Sportsfan1-2, interesting you say that as for years, and I know it is heresy in these parts to state, but to me despite all the hype put out, the NCAA basketball tournament epitomizes what you've stated. But IMHO, it compounds playing a #1 seed against a #16 by placing the #1 in their back yard making it in essence a "home game" for the fortunate. In college football for instance, certainly that can happen, but not quite as blatantly as basketball. Of course, the counter argument in basketball is that the #1s have "earned" their advantages by playing a grueling 30 game schedule, and to some degree, I do see that vs giving a team that just might have gotten in the tournament by winning their conference championship. But in my mind, stacking the deck for the higher seeds does not credibly crown THE best basketball team. Now, as a disclaimer to my heretical thought, all reading this should know that I'm a dyed in the wool SEC fan, and even more so, an LSU fan so I apologize, but I like to think that I come to this position objectively?

Also, just my $.02. 

Higher seeded teams also play closer to home because they are the teams that can fill up stadiums for early round games. But they do deserve something for being the best in the regular season. In theory, favorable placement only goes down to #2 seeds, though the NCAA committee seems to find a way to place certain teams close to home even when they are lower. Not an issue in hockey as the team that has the better record gets only one extra home game per series and all games should be sellouts.

46 minutes ago, cc said:

Remember 2002. Detroit was a “dream team”. We came within a beat of going up 2 to 1 on them in the finals.  BELIEVE. The fans did then....they knew no other way.

Just to be clear. If we end up in the WC2 slot, I will be there with bells on (do we go back to cowbells?), and I will find my Island of belief. But as we discuss things just stating the odds improve massively to get out of round one if we get to Metro 3, and even WC2. But just get in, is massively appropriate for this year.

• Like 1

SCOREBOARD WATCHING 👀

The scoreboard was kind to us yesterday. Keep the puck luck going

NY Islanders @ Minnesota

The Isles are only 4 pts in front of us. A Wild win keeps 2nd place in our sights. I'm seeing green today.

Philadelphia @   Pittsburgh

We are 9pts in front of Philly and trail the Pens by 2pts. A Flyer win sets up a battle for third in the Metro when we face the Pens on Tuesday. I'm a Philly Phanatic today.

Yeah, while I'm generally all in on the "first all things to get in" line of thought, Philly only catches us if we flat out collapse. And if that happens we're not making it anyways. So in that one I'm taking Philly too. Despite the nice warm "anything" can happen in the playoffs sentiment, I still think anything to avoid Tampa comes in a close second to making it.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

SCOREBOARD WATCHING 👀

NY Islanders @ Minnesota

The Isles are only 4 pts in front of us. A Wild win keeps 2nd place in our sights. I'm seeing green today.

We are 9pts in front of Philly and trail the Pens by 2pts. A Flyer win sets up a battle for third in the Metro when we face the Pens on Tuesday. I'm a Philly Phanatic today. 

I once again pull for the teams above us to lose.  Make it so.

5 hours ago, remkin said:

Heck, if we face Tampa Bay I say bring em on.  It will be a classic David vs Goliath matchup and we all know what happened to Goliath.  TB is blowing the league out of the water right now record wise.  It kinda makes you wonder if they're THAT good or the teams they're facing are THAT bad.  We may lose the series but I doubt we'll get swept.  A lot of top teams going into the playoffs have been upset on the way to the finals.  In 96 Colorado knocked off Detroit (granted Detroit won it two years in a row after 96).  Lowly Edmonton made it all the way to the SCF as an 8 seed in 06.  It has happened and I know that at least ONE top 3 team in either conference will lose either in the first round or before the SCF this season (whether it be in the semifinals or conference finals).  There WILL be an upset or two during this playoff season.  Don't know whom but some top 3 team WILL be upset this year in the playoffs.

I'd rather NOT face TB but if we do bring em on.  Remember, even though we've lost both games we've played them well overall.  We're one of the few teams in the eastern conference that can skate with them.  Both games were evenly matched and fun to watch.  It proved that the Hurricanes can skate with ANY team.  In other words Tampa Bay was not skating circles around us like they have done vs other teams.

Also, believe it or not even though TB has the best record in the NHL right now they're NOT the team to beat.  Washington is the defending Cup Champions.  TB needs to dethrone them on the way to the cup.

No more slow starts though. When we face TB Thursday we need to have our A game right away.  Gotta deal with Pittsburgh first on Tuesday.  Gotta have our A game then too.  I also hope Pittsburgh loses tonight but that will mean they'll have a 2 game losing streak coming into Tuesday.  I don't like facing great teams with losing streaks because they'll come in hungry against us to break it.

Also, lets not forget Columbus ALMOST upset Washington last year in the first round by winning the first TWO games in WASHINGTON in OT before blowing it in the final 4 games after that.  Unfortunately, Columbus couldn't finish it but it just means home ice means squat in the playoffs since Columbus took the first 2 games on the road.  Washington woke up, won the remaining 4 games of the series and took home the Cup and dethroned the defending champion Penguins in the semifinals.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2
  • Like 1

I know this doesn't mean anything now but also, didn't we score the first goal of the game in both games vs TB this year? I know we scored the first goal in the 2nd game.  Ferland scored the lone goal in the first game but I can't remember if that was the 'first goal' of the game.  Unfortunately for us, they've overcome it but it's saying something that they had to 'chase' the game vs us both times .  If we had tightened our D a little bit each game we'd win both games.  I know hindsight is 20/20 but when teams are in the playoffs and they score first defense tends to tighten up to preserve it.  Just something to think about.

Just checked first game; yes we did score the first goal in both games.  Ferland and Necas scored in the first game.  Their special teams killed us but we outshot them quite a bit in the first game.  That was a time when we weren't having any puck luck in regards to bounces.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

SCOREBOARD WATCHING 👀

NY Islanders @ Minnesota

Puck luck would be good!

I just want playoffs.  But I would love to be above WC2.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, remkin said:

It's always been mostly about us, but Montreal goes to Philly then gets the Islanders. If they whiff on those and we get one win in our next 3, we'd be up on them by 6 points and have them in our barn for the final stroke. 

I see the week having different implications in different 2 game sets but neither irrespective of the other. Pitt/TBL speaks more to our chances of overtaking 3rd or 2nd, and MINN/MTL more impactful to locking down a spot, all other things being equal and remaining status quo. I think MTL basically needs to beat Philly and the Isles to insure the game with us has the impact it looks to now and they haven't really looked like they are poised to make any significant push based on the last 8 or 10. If we get 2 or maybe 4 leading up to next sunday, that game could lose its ability to hurt us as far as getting in. Lot can change in a week of course, but it sure is fun speculating this late in a season. HA.

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Islanders and Sabres both won, not good puck luck so far today.

Slugs are done...no need to worry about them.  

Flyers lose to the Evil Empire tonight and they’re toast (currently 1-0 bad guys in 3rd)...no way they’re gonna make up that deficit 

17 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Flyers lose to the Evil Empire tonight and they’re toast (currently 1-0 bad guys in 3rd)...no way they’re gonna make up that deficit 

Was just looking in on that one. Pulling for Flyers, but with that loss, they may be toast as well?