The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

20 hours ago, remkin said:

Tampa is not only loaded at every position on the ice, but they have playoff experience. I'd still rather make the playoffs and have to face them than miss, but this year they are the one team to avoid early if at all possible.

By that reasoning (i.e., they're so good), early or late doesn't matter. I'd rather pay them first and hope to surprise them, because the deeper they go the more pressure they'll feel to close the deal, and they certainly have the horses to do it. If they blow us out, our kids get a reality check and all summer to work on getting better, and if we surprise them, we're suddenly the team to beat.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Higher seeded teams also play closer to home because they are the teams that can fill up stadiums for early round games. But they do deserve something for being the best in the regular season. In theory, favorable placement only goes down to #2 seeds, though the NCAA committee seems to find a way to place certain teams close to home even when they are lower. Not an issue in hockey as the team that has the better record gets only one extra home game per series and all games should be sellouts.

Exactly why I gravitated to hockey many years ago. 

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

By that reasoning (i.e., they're so good), early or late doesn't matter. I'd rather pay them first and hope to surprise them, because the deeper they go the more pressure they'll feel to close the deal, and they certainly have the horses to do it. If they blow us out, our kids get a reality check and all summer to work on getting better, and if we surprise them, we're suddenly the team to beat.

Agreed.  I keep saying we are capable of beating TB.  Regular season success for a great team does not always carry over to playoff success.  Braves in baseball come to mind.  Only one world series of all the Division titles they had.  They had continued success in the regular season but would always lose in either the first round or championship series.  They just couldn't close it out.  It remains to be seen whether TB can do it this year but IMO Kucherov is playing out of this world right now.  I think the whole team is playing out of this world. 

Tampa Bay was favored to win it last year (over Pittsburgh whom were defending champs) and lost to Washington in 7 games in the conference finals.  They were up 3 games to 2 and Washington knocked them off by winning the next two games.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Hey why not keep up a nice debate? So here goes.

I guess it depends on how much teams value series wins. Since only one team wins the cup, everyone else goes home sad. But then there are those teams who have made the playoffs but not gotten a series win. That seems almost as bad. When I look at this squad, I do see a team that could be one of those surprise teams, mainly because of our actual record and goal diff over the past 30 games or so. I do get that anything can happen.  But wearing my non rose-colored glasses I see this year as more likely a stepping stone year, and a series win or even two would really be a good year for a very young, up and coming team.

It is no guarantee, as many teams have had nice playoff runs and disappeared (see the Canes). But this is such a young team with a good pipeline and young stars. It's just hard to see us regressing much from a playoff win as we grow this team.

It is an interesting point that of catching Tampa early. Probably something to that. On the other hand, delaying facing them also leaves the possibility that someone else upsets them and we don't have to play them at all. Also, if Tampa is Tampa, we could easily exit 0-4. I want at least a series win, but at least a game or two would be nice. 

I get the Bravado of many, and again, if we end up squaring up vs. Tampa, then I agree with "bring them on". But to honestly ask for them in round one is like the little kid in the movie stepping out of the crowd after the fight, seeing the Champ and he saying, "let me at him! I can whoop him!". Yes, Tampa could fold. Yes, last year a 16 finally beat a 1 seed in the Dance. But we do not want Tampa in the first round IMO. Play the odds. Get a series win.

To the idea that Tampa is not the team to beat or that Washington is because they won last year. I just disagree. How many years did Washington choke in the playoffs? Same basic core team. Cup hangover, etc. Tampa is just crushing everyone. They have no weaknesses. Any team can lose in hockey, but the best team usually wins and they are the best this year, by far. 

Get in and anything can happen. And that's true. Thats what I think every time I buy a lottery ticket. But ideally face a team we are more likely to beat in round one. Get to round two. Even if we lose there, the team has a series win and a series loss to chew on. But of course, win the cup really. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

This team still needs to make the playoffs.   Some of this discussion is out over our skis.

Or cart before the horse? Geno out Tuesday though make that game more interesting?

58 minutes ago, remkin said:

Hey why not keep up a nice debate? So here goes.

I guess it depends on how much teams value series wins. Since only one team wins the cup, everyone else goes home sad. But then there are those teams who have made the playoffs but not gotten a series win. That seems almost as bad. When I look at this squad, I do see a team that could be one of those surprise teams, mainly because of our actual record and goal diff over the past 30 games or so. I do get that anything can happen.  But wearing my non rose-colored glasses I see this year as more likely a stepping stone year, and a series win or even two would really be a good year for a very young, up and coming team.

It is no guarantee, as many teams have had nice playoff runs and disappeared (see the Canes). But this is such a young team with a good pipeline and young stars. It's just hard to see us regressing much from a playoff win as we grow this team.

It is an interesting point that of catching Tampa early. Probably something to that. On the other hand, delaying facing them also leaves the possibility that someone else upsets them and we don't have to play them at all. Also, if Tampa is Tampa, we could easily exit 0-4. I want at least a series win, but at least a game or two would be nice. 

I get the Bravado of many, and again, if we end up squaring up vs. Tampa, then I agree with "bring them on". But to honestly ask for them in round one is like the little kid in the movie stepping out of the crowd after the fight, seeing the Champ and he saying, "let me at him! I can whoop him!". Yes, Tampa could fold. Yes, last year a 16 finally beat a 1 seed in the Dance. But we do not want Tampa in the first round IMO. Play the odds. Get a series win.

To the idea that Tampa is not the team to beat or that Washington is because they won last year. I just disagree. How many years did Washington choke in the playoffs? Same basic core team. Cup hangover, etc. Tampa is just crushing everyone. They have no weaknesses. Any team can lose in hockey, but the best team usually wins and they are the best this year, by far.  

Get in and anything can happen. And that's true. Thats what I think every time I buy a lottery ticket. But ideally face a team we are more likely to beat in round one. Get to round two. Even if we lose there, the team has a series win and a series loss to chew on. But of course, win the cup really. 

True, they are crushing everyone, which makes me wonder are they THAT good or are the teams they're facing THAT bad.  Nobody has done what Tampa Bay is doing in like 20 some years.  They're like the 96 Detroit team; crushed everyone.  HOWEVER, the 96 Detroit team, whom had 131 points to end the year and won the President's trophy also lost to Colorado in 6 games in the Conference finals and barely survived St. Louis in the semi-finals. 

I'm sorry, I just don't think Tampa Bay is the team to beat this year.  I know Washington has had a history of choking in the playoffs (Pens would always beat them) but they ARE the defending champions.  Until they get knocked off their pedestal they're going to get that respect. 

Tampa Bay needs to prove to their fans that this regular season success they're having of creaming everyone continues into the playoffs.  Until that happens I'll admire their regular season success and will wonder if they shatter the 96 Red Wings Record for points in a season.  They are the Goliath in hockey right now like Detroit was in 96 (comparing these two because they both destroyed the opposition in regular season play) but there is also a David somewhere and Colorado was David in 1996.  If we face TB in the first round due to finishing up WC2 (likely WC1 or 3rd in Metro is where we'll finish this season though) will we be the David? Will Boston? Will Pittsburgh somehow end up facing them in the playoffs and knocking them off? All these teams are well capable of getting an upset.  Boston and Pittsburgh have already beaten them this season.

Yes, again, I'd like to avoid Tampa Bay if at all possible but if we have to face them in the first round so be it; I'm not going to be scared or worried because the way we've been playing the last two months is right up there with the way TB has been playing all year.  It will be a big test and we've already proven that we can skate with them this season (both games were good games; even though TB won both I'm sure we surprised them with our team speed) so it should be a good series.

My money is a first round series vs Washington or the Islanders though.  I think Columbus will get the bad luck of playing TB in the first round.

4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I hate putting the cart before the horse regarding getting to the playoffs, BUT the benefit of the Canes getting to the playoffs is building the culture to expect getting there from now on AND to learn what it takes to finish a series on top.  It would be my hope that the Canes avoid playing Tampa in round 1.  Take 1 game at a time, they can do it.  They are every bit as good as most of the other squads, and I am excited about the game tomorrow evening against Pitt.  We need to bring it to them physically, so Nino, Ferland, Martinook, Samu, etc. will be key.  Nails in their coffin.............

46 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Tomorrow is a HUGE magic bean game. Can't wait. 

I can't wait either.  I hope they come out ready to play; they came out sluggish against Buffalo; but Wallmark woke them up.  Hopefully that was all they needed to get them going the rest of this homestand.

We were talking about Coach of the Year award.  Just noticed that the Coyotes are currently in a playoff spot.  From what I've heard, they've had a boatload of injuries this year.  If they hold on and make it, add Rick Tocchet to the list of candidates.  And unless Habs have a miracle finish you can probably cross off Julien.

Brindy, Trotz, Tocchet, Peters, and maybe Cooper (how do you balance a possible record regular season vs. having such a talent laden roster?)

29 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

We were talking about Coach of the Year award.  Just noticed that the Coyotes are currently in a playoff spot.  From what I've heard, they've had a boatload of injuries this year.  If they hold on and make it, add Rick Tocchet to the list of candidates.  And unless Habs have a miracle finish you can probably cross off Julien.

Brindy, Trotz, Tocchet, Peters, and maybe Cooper (how do you balance a possible record regular season vs. having such a talent laden roster?)

True that Lake, and I'm sure Brind'Amour is low man on the totem pole of the NHL, and while being able to persist thru a season riddled with injuries is a feat, the feeling that I maintain for Brindy's choice is that he's had to reverse nearly a decade of stagnation, combined with at least a 40% new roster, all new assistant coaches, a new GM and a neophyte new Owner. Talk about chaos, yet here we are, with Brind'Amour's stamp all over each one. How is thyt not Coach of the Year? 

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

True that Lake, and I'm sure Brind'Amour is low man on the totem pole of the NHL, and while being able to persist thru a season riddled with injuries is a feat, the feeling that I maintain for Brindy's choice is that he's had to reverse nearly a decade of stagnation, combined with at least a 40% new roster, all new assistant coaches, a new GM and a neophyte new Owner. Talk about chaos, yet here we are, with Brind'Amour's stamp all over each one. How is thyt not Coach of the Year? 

We aren’t a big market team with national coverage...Rod won’t even be nominated...just like for the HOF.😡

10 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Kjun:

I don't know details, but I suspect that someone familiar with the Yotes could make a similarly compelling case for Tocchet.  E.g., I believe they also had quite a bit of turnover this past season.  And Yotes fans probably aren't going to be too sympathetic to Canes recent history of futility (total points for Yotes last 4 seasons:  56, 78, 70, and 70 :o).  I recall that preseason, Canes seemed to be a popular choice among analysts picking "turnaround teams" that might make the playoffs.  Not surprising given that we were recognized as having the deepest (and among the best) defensive corps in the league.  While I think most were predicting the Yotes as a popular choice for the Hughes lottery, lol.

Not arguing against Brindy, just pointing out that we tend to play up "our" side of an issue while probably not even being aware of the other side.  E.g., a new GM / neophyte Owner could potentially be an obstacle, but is there any evidence that actually made Brindy's job harder?  I suspect that The Committee structure probably actually made his job easier this season. No evidence that it infringed on his coaching, plus Brindy likely heavily influenced the Skinner trade, mgmt.  paying Mongo $4m to play in Charlotte, "own rental" of Ferland, etc.

AWAC:

The only likely candidate that I'd think might significantly  benefit from "market bias" would be Bill Peters.