The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Well he had 67 starts last season and didn't exactly set the ice on fire. That isn't to say he isn't NHL caliber but more to his age and learning curve. As a number one pick I think he hasn't met expectations. Having said that I'm glad we have him. He has proven he can play at the NHL level and not hurt the team when called on. Still with younger Dmen knocking it is up to him to grab a spot. So far I haven't seen a dominance from him that would make him a clear choice to be part of our future.

As we have learned Dmen take time to develop. He still has time to earn his ice.

also he flipped partners between a bad Faulk and the other 3rd pair of TVR.  Faulk is much better this season.  He wasnt going to set the world on fire with those pairings. 

Two other thoughts on Fleury for this team.

1. Teams need low-paid, but solid D men in their bottom 2-3 due to the salary cap, and the fact that you can win a cup with 1 dominant and 2 really good D men, and 3 solid lower end guys. Fleury's "slow" start should keep his price down. That's why I'd sign him for low rate long term. If he comes on, he's a cheap middle pair guy. If he's so-so he is still tradeable.

2. Trade Value. Just being a regular NHL D man ups his trade value. Trading him now or soon will not return much.

I get him on a good deal and play him. If Bean is pushing, then trade Fleury at some point. But in the long run teams need really good, solid D men that are on good contracts.

13 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

also he flipped partners between a bad Faulk and the other 3rd pair of TVR.  Faulk is much better this season.  He wasnt going to set the world on fire with those pairings. 

Blaming Faulk for  Fleury not playing up to expectations is a double edged sword. Paired with Slavin or de Hann Faulk has been a different player. I don't see de Hann or Slavin slipping when paired with Faulk or when de Hann is paired with TVR. Quite the opposite.

I'm sure you will think I'm taking a swipe at Fleury but I'm not. His play has improved, he is learning and he might be really top end before it all said and done. I'm glad we have him and I'm not uncomfortable when he skates. The choice at the moment is de Hann or Fleury. I'll bet most of us will agree deHann.

As the team surges ahead the expectations for every player grows. It really is up to Fleury to grow with the surge. He has the tools to do just that. For now I just want him to play responsible and not hurt our chances. So far so good.

18 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Blaming Faulk for  Fleury not playing up to expectations is a double edged sword. Paired with Slavin or de Hann Faulk has been a different player. I don't see de Hann or Slavin slipping when paired with Faulk or when de Hann is paired with TVR. Quite the opposite.

I'm sure you will think I'm taking a swipe at Fleury but I'm not. His play has improved, he is learning and he might be really top end before it all said and done. I'm glad we have him and I'm not uncomfortable when he skates. The choice at the moment is de Hann or Fleury. I'll bet most of us will agree deHann.

As the team surges ahead the expectations for every player grows. It really is up to Fleury to grow with the surge. He has the tools to do just that. For now I just want him to play responsible and not hurt our chances. So far so good.

I dont believe Fleury's expectation last season was to set the ice the on fire. So, Im not saying he wasnt able to live up to expectations last season because of the pairings.  I dont believe he could live up to "setting the ice on fire" with the pairings and assumed task given last season. 

I would think his expectation for a rookie year would be a solid defender and dont make a ton of mistakes.  Which I think he did.  He wasnt asked last season to be someone that pushed offense.  That was Faulk's job when they were paired together.  With TVR, he was the 3rd pair.  I bet they were asked just to play a solid game and prevent mistakes while buying time for the top lines coming back out.  

13 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Four score and seven years ago.

No need to bring up Ryan Murphy’s total tenure here or his goal totals into this thread

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Four score and seven years ago.

13 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

No need to bring up Ryan Murphy’s total tenure here or his goal totals into this thread

Ruh??  Add Murphy's NHL and AHL goal totals and it barely tops 1 score, lol.  :P

Edited by LakeLivin

18 minutes ago, cc said:

We need all hands on board for this weekend.  We NEED the "loudest House" back in force.

See you at BOTH games 

The rest of the week for the playoff contenders:

4 points back of the Islanders, 1 game in hand
2 points back of Pittsburgh, 2 games in hand
3 points up on Columbus, 1 game in hand
4 points up on Montreal, 1 game in hand

The remaining of the week:
Islanders: @ MON, @ PHI B2B ARZ
Pens: @ NAS, @ Dal
Us: TB, MIN B2B MON
CBJ: @ EDM, @ Van (west coast road trip)
MON: NYI, BUF, @ Car

I would say we need at least 3 points the rest of the week. We have a good opportunity this week playing Montreal on Sunday. Both will on the back ends of B2B but Montreal has to add travel. Also expecting Niemi to start Montreal's game against Buffalo. Hopefully, Buffalo gets to him. Niemi has a pedestrian .887 sv % and 3.78 GAA. If all goes well we could be at least 6 points up on Montreal, with Montreal having 5 games left.

Pittsburgh could get swept this week, if Dallas plays to their potential. Could catch them this week with a game in hand, if the scoreboard goes our way.
Columbus has an easy week and should be creeping up the standing. We need the points to keep them back.

Also need the Lightning and Capitals game tonight to be a fight all the way to the end buzzer with TB winning in regulation. Then we get to see the backup on Thursday, with a tired traveled bunch on the ice.

SCS now has us at 94.4% non weighted and 96.4 weighted. 

While the amount of help we get does matter, 4 wins puts us at 90% chance.

Counting down to 4 wins for now. If we get help that number will shrink. Also, 3 wins w/ 2 OT losses. 

29 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

See you at BOTH games 

4:30 Saurday- The Bistro..   My wife asked me how I would know if you were not really a serial killer ?  I told her same could be said for me.  LOL

6 minutes ago, cc said:

4:30 Saurday- The Bistro..   My wife asked me how I would know if you were not really a serial killer ?  I told her same could be said for me.  LOL

What serial killer would bring their own daughter?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Then we get to see the backup on Thursday, with a tired traveled bunch on the ice.

Their backup is not as stellar as Vasilevsky but still 90.8% and 2.88 and 20-5-0 record.

One additional benefit I'd just thought of from our continued surge (as I'm sure many on here have), to me that is added inducement for our NCAA fellow to consider coming out and signing with us? Fox should see an upward trending team, and his future evolving in front of him, particularly if we can decide on which D to trade?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

One additional benefit I'd just thought of from our continued surge (as I'm sure many on here have), to me that is added inducement for our NCAA fellow to consider coming out and signing with us? Fox should see an upward trending team, and his future evolving in front of him, particularly if we can decide on which D to trade?

Will also help come 1 July

• Like 1

8 more points in 10 games people (around 90% certainty).  That's how close we are now.

It's OK to focus on catching the guys ahead of us now.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

What serial killer would bring their own daughter?

A very evil, extremely sociopathic one? :o

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Just the type the military hires

That would worry me more if you were back seat in a B-52.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:41 AM, remkin said:

Hey why not keep up a nice debate? So here goes.

I guess it depends on how much teams value series wins. Since only one team wins the cup, everyone else goes home sad. But then there are those teams who have made the playoffs but not gotten a series win. That seems almost as bad. When I look at this squad, I do see a team that could be one of those surprise teams, mainly because of our actual record and goal diff over the past 30 games or so. I do get that anything can happen.  But wearing my non rose-colored glasses I see this year as more likely a stepping stone year, and a series win or even two would really be a good year for a very young, up and coming team.

It is no guarantee, as many teams have had nice playoff runs and disappeared (see the Canes). But this is such a young team with a good pipeline and young stars. It's just hard to see us regressing much from a playoff win as we grow this team.

It is an interesting point that of catching Tampa early. Probably something to that. On the other hand, delaying facing them also leaves the possibility that someone else upsets them and we don't have to play them at all. Also, if Tampa is Tampa, we could easily exit 0-4. I want at least a series win, but at least a game or two would be nice. 

I get the Bravado of many, and again, if we end up squaring up vs. Tampa, then I agree with "bring them on". But to honestly ask for them in round one is like the little kid in the movie stepping out of the crowd after the fight, seeing the Champ and he saying, "let me at him! I can whoop him!". Yes, Tampa could fold. Yes, last year a 16 finally beat a 1 seed in the Dance. But we do not want Tampa in the first round IMO. Play the odds. Get a series win.

To the idea that Tampa is not the team to beat or that Washington is because they won last year. I just disagree. How many years did Washington choke in the playoffs? Same basic core team. Cup hangover, etc. Tampa is just crushing everyone. They have no weaknesses. Any team can lose in hockey, but the best team usually wins and they are the best this year, by far. 

Get in and anything can happen. And that's true. Thats what I think every time I buy a lottery ticket. But ideally face a team we are more likely to beat in round one. Get to round two. Even if we lose there, the team has a series win and a series loss to chew on. But of course, win the cup really. 

All valid points, although this team is not as young as we (myself included) like to think, because despite its stature as one of the league's youngest, a lot of that average is skewed by Fleury and Svech and Aho and Foegele. Outside of them, this is actually a team of journeyman and vet players, who (I believe) don't require a lot of validation. Whatever of that they do need, they are getting with every win right now, and that can only build confidence that they can compete no matter who they play.

1 hour ago, cc said:

When you think about it, it's a great set up.  Create a fake persona and closely follow a losing hockey team for more than a decade.  That's enough time to diminish most suspicion among the other faithful. Then, invite your targeted victims to a packed public place.  Who's going to think twice about that?  OMG, AWAC may be planning the perfect crime!!!

[wish I could make it but unfortunately it's just not practical for me at this time]