The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

23 hours ago, Bonivan said:

2 games? TB has 7 mostly meaningless games. So 2 games suspension is just BS.

Since next 7 games mean nothing to Tampa, they should suspend him for first 2 playoff games.

Scoreboard watching today 👀

Stars @ Penguins  All in for Big D tonight. We're coming at you, you dirty little birds
Flyers vs. Islanders  A loss would just about sink the Flyers but I'm still looking at catching the Isles. Lets Go Flyers in regulation
Sabres @ Canadiens  Come on Jeff make the Habs life tough. All in on Buffalo

• Like 2

The Flyers are 7 points back of us and we have a bean. They are pretty much out, but will only catch us if we collapse AND they get back on fire. On the other hand, we also a have a Bean on the Islanders, and if we win that game, we are only two points back of them, and a win here and loss by them and we are tied. They are 5-5 over the last 10 so coming back to Earth a bit. Long way of saying "GO PHILLY". 

I keep thinking Pittsburgh is going to keep a late surge and the NYI are the team we are more likely to pass, but we have two beans on Pittsburgh and a win by us with a loss by them, puts us in an effective tie with them. Of course with a Western foe, go Dallas.

The big one IMO is the Sabres taking out Montreal. The Sabres are in a bit of a free fall and Montreal is bouncing back from it's fall a bit and it's in Montreal, so it would be an upset, but the more Montreal and Columbus lose the better, no matter who they play. So long as those teams struggle, WC1 is there for the taking at the least. 

On the stats-watch topic, Svechnikov was previously in a 1 point in 8 game point slump, but then lit it up vs Colorado and is a ppg over the past 5 games. Over the year he's been coming on, but as to actual production, about .43 ppg. No way of predicting if he will keep it up, but if that guy starts producing even a little more, that's just one more source of points.

On the other side of the coin, Ferland. He's been a physical presence, but he has one point (one assist) in his past 8 games and has not looked that threatening offensively IMO. That's .125 ppg vs his season average of .58 ppg. If he can find some offense that would also help a lot. One does wonder if this is bringing his price down a touch. I think in Calgary he was a bit streaky too. I think part of that is that he's a goal scorer not a playmaker and assists are easier to pile up even when not on the A game. I do wonder if he's 100% or playing through something. 

And finally because it bears noting. Justin Williams' production is ageless. 3 points in his last 5. The last 4 years just set your watch to 50 points and right around 20 goals, and there is no fall-off this year, in fact, pretty good chance he will put up his best year in the past 6 seasons. And he's been a great leader. 

34 minutes ago, remkin said:

So long as those teams struggle, WC2 is there for the taking at the least. 

If anything, Thursday night told us we want no part of WC2 at this time...

The penguins have a much easier schedule than the canes.  2 against Detroit and 2 against rangers.  They are going to be tough to catch.  

Just need to beat out the jackets and canadiens.  Tommorows games is ridiculously huge.  

38 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

If anything, Thursday night told us we want no part of WC2 at this time...

I messed that up. I meant WC1. WC1. Of all people, I've been taking heat for pushing no part of WC2 and I agree. WC1 is there for us if Columbus and Montreal struggle. WC1. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

The penguins have a much easier schedule than the canes.  2 against Detroit and 2 against rangers.  They are going to be tough to catch.  

Just need to beat out the jackets and canadiens.  Tommorows games is ridiculously huge.  

That is a good point. The Penguins are also likely to make a push anyways. My point above agrees with your point about the Jackets and Canadians and getting at least WC1. The Islanders are catchable though. Especially if they lose to Philly in the next couple of hours and we get tonight's game.

Not sure how much of an advantage Metro3 is over WC2. Want the road series at Pittsburgh or Washington?

Now if somehow we caught the Islanders and Pittsburgh...home ice! OK lets get in first.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

On the stats-watch topic, Svechnikov was previously in a 1 point in 8 game point slump, but then lit it up vs Colorado and is a ppg over the past 5 games. Over the year he's been coming on, but as to actual production, about .43 ppg. No way of predicting if he will keep it up, but if that guy starts producing even a little more, that's just one more source of points.

On the other side of the coin, Ferland. He's been a physical presence, but he has one point (one assist) in his past 8 games and has not looked that threatening offensively IMO. That's .125 ppg vs his season average of .58 ppg. If he can find some offense that would also help a lot. One does wonder if this is bringing his price down a touch. I think in Calgary he was a bit streaky too. I think part of that is that he's a goal scorer not a playmaker and assists are easier to pile up even when not on the A game. I do wonder if he's 100% or playing through something. 

And finally because it bears noting. Justin Williams' production is ageless. 3 points in his last 5. The last 4 years just set your watch to 50 points and right around 20 goals, and there is no fall-off this year, in fact, pretty good chance he will put up his best year in the past 6 seasons. And he's been a great leader. 

Svech looks like he is getting stronger. There were many games where it looked like the NHL schedule was taking its toll on him, but down the stretch he looks strong. Ferland needs to start producing but dont forget a lot of his production was on the top line, not the third. The FAT line had it cooking, but cant argue with NN, JW, SA.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Ferland needs to start producing but dont forget a lot of his production was on the top line, not the third. The FAT line had it cooking, but cant argue with NN, JW, SA.

That's a good point slap. I like Martinook a lot for what he brings, but he has 7 assists to TT's 49. And Walmark has been solid, but Ferland is currently playing with two guys with 24 assists, compared with two guys he was playing with who have 98 assists. Big difference and even bigger considering Ferland is a physical guy who doesn't really create his own offense but can finish. He had a lot more to finish when he was with Finnish. (sorry). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Since next 7 games mean nothing to Tampa, they should suspend him for first 2 playoff games.

I am not sure the punishment the NHL deals out for these infractions provides restitution to the non-offender and his team.

So, Tampa Bay loses the player for 2 games, neither of which are against the Canes.  The Canes lose the service, temporarily, of their highest paid player during a key game.  This may not have had the effect that ended with them losing 6-3, but what if they had built up a larger lead in periods 1 and 2?

Maybe the NHL should consider a goal type penalty during the game for match penalties, along with the suspensions they deal out later.  The non-offending team is awarded 1 goal when the offending team's player earns a match penalty.  Staal hurt, Canes score............

27 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Maybe the NHL should consider a goal type penalty during the game for match penalties, along with the suspensions they deal out later.  The non-offending team is awarded 1 goal when the offending team's player earns a match penalty.  Staal hurt, Canes score............

Interesting thought. 

One thing is justice, but another thing is getting these hits out of the game. Seems that this suspension and their overall approach is not really doing either one. 

If they want these hits mostly gone, they have to take them as seriously as their potential damage to the well being of the player getting hit. MUCH bigger suspensions is one thing, but yeah, a major, immediate, on ice price like a goal would also help send the message: Head hunting will not be tolerated and if you do it, it will hurt you a lot and it will hurt your team immediately. 

As to the meaningless game thing, I don't know if there is historical evidence of punks taking more liberties when their team is set, but again, if you want to get the hits out of the game, the punishment has to hurt. In the case of the Staal hit, even if they gave up a goal and even if they lost the game and even if he got a 4 game suspension, it would not hurt the team at all. I'm not sure how it could be done within the collective bargaining deal, but the only way to make this hurt would be to suspend at least one playoff game.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

On the other side of the coin, Ferland. He's been a physical presence, but he has one point (one assist) in his past 8 games and has not looked that threatening offensively IMO. One does wonder if this is bringing his price down a touch. I do wonder if he's 100% or playing through something. 

I started to get the feeling that maybe Ferland would want to stay here, but having him on a line with Martinook and Wallmark at the end of a contract year isn’t going to make him happy I’m guessing. I don’t think his play warranted a demotion, but maybe his in and out of the lineup problem did.

On the other hand he could still be dealing with something and he’s grinding through it so he is ok with slightly less playing time.

Only he/HCRB know so...

Anyway, my feeling is that Ferland sees himself as a top 6 forward. If he doesn’t think that is going to happen here, then I think he moves on.

I don't think a team can have enough power forwards if the skilled finesse guys are there too.  We have those in TT and Aho.  I consider Nino, Ferland, Staal, and Svech to be our power forwards.

4 hours ago, Kyrule said:

I started to get the feeling that maybe Ferland would want to stay here, but having him on a line with Martinook and Wallmark at the end of a contract year isn’t going to make him happy I’m guessing. I don’t think his play warranted a demotion, but maybe his in and out of the lineup problem did.

On the other hand he could still be dealing with something and he’s grinding through it so he is ok with slightly less playing time.

Only he/HCRB know so...

Anyway, my feeling is that Ferland sees himself as a top 6 forward. If he doesn’t think that is going to happen here, then I think he moves on.

I think you're right. Ferland indicated that he would like to stay here, and while we did not sign him, we also did not trade him at the deadline. All good. But in a contract year, playing him on a grinder line is costing him money too, and he'd be only human to not be thrilled with that. He's been willing to drop the mitts and seems like a good soldier, but it's not ideal for him. On the other hand, is he better than Svech, Nino, Teravainen and Williams? Not really. It's not like he's being purposefully frozen out of the top 6, just that we have some good wingers, especially after we flipped Rask for Nino.

I think it might be interesting to get the band back together with Aho/TT/Ferland at some point, but I can see why it hasn't happened too.

SCOREBOARD Watching 👀 (Sunday edition)

Montreal @ Carolina  The only game that really counts. Take care of business. Go Canes, O yeah!

Philadelphia @ Washington   Time to put the Flyers in the rear view mirror, we can take care of the Caps next week. It's an Ov kind of day. No 3pt game please.

Arizona @ NY Islanders  Looking to own the island. We are coming at you Isles. Yotes need to howl today

Columbus @ Vancouver Silence the gun nuk-nuk-nuk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

SCOREBOARD Watching 👀 (Sunday edition)

Montreal @ Carolina  The only game that really counts. Take care of business. Go Canes, O yeah!

Philadelphia @ Washington   Time to put the Flyers in the rear view mirror, we can take care of the Caps next week. It's an Ov kind of day. No 3pt game please.

Arizona @ NY Islanders  Looking to own the island. We are coming at you Isles. Yotes need to howl today

Columbus @ Vancouver Silence the gun nuk-nuk-nuk

From a practical perspective Philly can't catch us imo.  If they win out (highly unlikely) they still only finish with 94 points.  If we can't go better than 2-5-1 over our last 8 games we don't deserve to make the playoffs.  Give me Philly over Washington today.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

From a practical perspective Philly can't catch us imo.  If they win out (highly unlikely) they still only finish with 94 points.  If we can't go better than 2-5-1 over our last 8 games we don't deserve to make the playoffs.  Give me Philly over Washington today.

This.  I'm still looking up, not down.  We can catch WSH easier than PHI can catch us.  A PHI win would make overtaking WSH that much easier.

16 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

This.  I'm still looking up, not down.  We can catch WSH easier than PHI can catch us.  A PHI win would make overtaking WSH that much easier.

realm, we're in agreement on this game but not the general principal. I still go back to the overall risk/ reward ratio of our movement in the standings.  If it had been Habs - Caps (or probably even CBJ - Caps) I'd be pulling for the Caps.  But, bottom line is that the Canes can only influence their own games.  Just keep winning!!

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

realm, we're in agreement on this game but not the general principal. I still go back to the overall risk/ reward ratio of our movement in the standings.  If it had been Habs - Caps (or probably even CBJ - Caps) I'd be pulling for the Caps.  But, bottom line is that the Canes can only influence their own games.  Just keep winning!!

Your mention of influencing their own games also weighs heavily into this, due to 2 of their next 3 own games being against the Caps.  After today, Carolina's next games are against the Caps and the Caps' next are against Carolina.  If Carolina wins and the Caps lose today and the Canes can manage to win both games against the Caps, dude, we're ahead of them with a magic bean to boot.

Anyone not pulling for that outcome is a way less-hungry about this season than i am...

• Like 1

Your logic on taking the Caps is sound but I would rather secure a playoff spot. If Philly falls and we win they are 7 pts behind us and their chance of catching anyone is all but  over. If we win today and the Caps win we are 5pts behind the Caps. We beat them twice next week we are one point behind with a game in hand. They would still be in our sights.  The only thing I don't want is a 3 point game.

35 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Your mention of influencing their own games also weighs heavily into this, due to 2 of their next 3 own games being against the Caps.  After today, Carolina's next games are against the Caps and the Caps' next are against Carolina.  If Carolina wins and the Caps lose today and the Canes can manage to win both games against the Caps, dude, we're ahead of them with a magic bean to boot.

Anyone not pulling for that outcome is a way less-hungry about this season than i am...

In this case it's an easy decision to pull for the Caps as Philly realistically can't catch us (imo, OBXer is a little more cautious, lol). But if it were Montreal - Caps?  To me that's an easy decision the other way, again because of a much bigger "penalty" if we drop compared to the "reward" if we rise.  And that has nothing to do with hunger about the season,. it's more a matter of pragmatism.  Imo, you don't risk it all for a much smaller potential gain.

Edited by LakeLivin

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

In this case it's an easy decision to pull for the Caps as Philly realistically can't catch us (imo, OBXer is a little more cautious, lol). But if it were Montreal - Caps?  To me that's an easy decision the other way, again because of a much bigger "penalty" if we drop compared to the "reward" if we rise.  And that has nothing to do with hunger about the season,. it's more a matter of pragmatism.  Imo, you don't risk it all for a much smaller gain.

Love ya man but with all due respect, we're not playing ifs here - the facts are we're going to try to deal with Montreal ourselves today and it's the Flyers going up against the Caps.  So the 'if it were' doesn't apply.

That said if the Canes can't take care of their own mess from here on out, they don't deserve to make it anyway.  Things being where they are now, i will always pull for the team that can catch us over the team that we can catch, particularly when we fully control our own destiny in passing them in 5 days otherwise.

I must say to me the second game (after ours) that I'm wanting the most is Vancouver to take out Columbus in regulation in Vancouver. 

If we win and Columbus loses, we are really putting space not only on the chance of missing, but also avoiding WC2. 

Columbus would be 7 points back with no beans in play. To a large degree, this almost clinches us a playoff spot. No, not mathematically, but up 7 points with 7 games to go would require an epic collapse combined with an epic win streak for them. It's nearly un-closable. 

Montreal would be 4 points back and we'd have a bean too. 

I do agree that Philly is done. I can look up from them, they are not catching us, and Washington losing would be a preference there (Washington already up 1-0 in that one).