The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

15 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Probably best to play one period at a time, one game at a time.  There is such parity in the NHL that the teams you count on for V's, such as Phila and NJ, may be the teams you let down against.  Not too worried about that with the Canes.  They do not play like a team that takes anything for granted.  All of their games over the past 2 months have seemed like playoff atmosphere.  I am really interested in how physical these 2 games against the Caps are, a team they could very well face in the 1st round.

I am going to have a watchful eye on that too bebiplar, more specifically to see if they might overextend themselves trying to set the tone for possible postseason play, thus become vulnerable? Could become a great coaching duel, if Brindy can play it like that? The other thing I seem to have noticed, although I admittedly don't follow the Caps all that much so I'll ask others, is Ovechkin (hate even typing his name) cooling down? Haven't seen the usual hype on him lately.

Montreal has a rough schedule and has only won 1 game against playoff bound teams of their last 8 I believe.  I wouldn't be surprised if they drop those last 4 games.

Our focus at this point should be on WC1 or better and making sure we hit the playoffs on a roll and not a skid.

24 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Montreal has a rough schedule and has only won 1 game against playoff bound teams of their last 8 I believe.  I wouldn't be surprised if they drop those last 4 games.

Our focus at this point should be on WC1 or better and making sure we hit the playoffs on a roll and not a skid.

Theirs is tough, not sure that it is more difficult than ours though. I’m trying had to come up with where we get 4 more wins in our last 7 with Pittsburgh, Caps (x2), Toronto, Philly (x2), Devils. Devils, one of the Philly games, maybe Toronto as they’ve looked a bit soft. I am not sure on the fourth win I think we need comes from. I honestly think it’s going to take 97-98 points this year.

21 hours ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

Caps beat Philly 3-1...and I believe they swept the season series from Philly too.  Take care of business tonight and I think Philly is toast.  Also, if Vancouver takes care of CBJ CBJ's playoff hopes will appear to be all but gone barring a collapse by either us or Montreal (the way we've been playing since New Years Eve I don't see a collapse happening).  All the games we play from here on out are winnable because there's no Lightning to deal with anymore this season.

I wonder if Columbus is wondering now if they should have made those trades?  They've stunk since the trades.

Columbus basically needs to win every game they have left and that may not be enough.

Columbus and the Habs play twice. Hopefully no three point games or splits.

23 hours ago, remkin said:

I must say to me the second game (after ours) that I'm wanting the most is Vancouver to take out Columbus in regulation in Vancouver. 

If we win and Columbus loses, we are really putting space not only on the chance of missing, but also avoiding WC2. 

Columbus would be 7 points back with no beans in play. To a large degree, this almost clinches us a playoff spot. No, not mathematically, but up 7 points with 7 games to go would require an epic collapse combined with an epic win streak for them. It's nearly un-closable. 

Montreal would be 4 points back and we'd have a bean too. 

I do agree that Philly is done. I can look up from them, they are not catching us, and Washington losing would be a preference there (Washington already up 1-0 in that one).  

Philly may be done, but they can be spoilers 

Canes have a magic bean on everybody ahead of them in the Metro, and are 5 pts out of first.  Might as well sweep the home/home with Wash this week and spank Pitt this weekend.  That would be interesting.

tenor.thumb.gif.ba2fa893307ed9f5abf7791016f45ad5.gif

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

Theirs is tough, not sure that it is more difficult than ours though. I’m trying had to come up with where we get 4 more wins in our last 7 with Pittsburgh, Caps (x2), Toronto, Philly (x2), Devils. Devils, one of the Philly games, maybe Toronto as they’ve looked a bit soft. I am not sure on the fourth win I think we need comes from. I honestly think it’s going to take 97-98 points this year.

My crystal ball and my hope is still this due to the way we're playing (27-9-2)

Three of 4 points in the home and home vs Washington, beat Philly, lose to Pittsburgh (don't think we'll beat them twice at home the same season), beat Toronto (struggling right now a little), beat NJ and lose to Philly.  In our final seven that puts us at 4-2-1 for 100 points.  So far, for the remainder I've been right.  I said earlier we'd be 6-2-1 with wins vs Minnesota and Montreal and look what happened.😊

Our only real test the final 7 is the two with Washington because we've never beaten them yet...that was during our struggles though.  We're different and better now.  The key in that series is stopping Ovechin. If we can stop him we have a chance.  He had a hat trick against us earlier in the year.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Mrazek's last 11

.944 sv percentage

1.63 GAA

9-2 record

McE has been very solid this year and we wouldnt be here without him.  Mrazek is the hotter goalie right now and we should play the hot hand 3 times this week. 

Yeah let’s mess with what got us here. Ummm no stay the course. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I'll trust whatever decision Mike Bales makes on which goalie plays which games.  He's been pretty much spot on so far.

Amen to that

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cc said:

Yeah let’s mess with what got us here. Ummm no stay the course. 

Ok you win.  Stay the course of playing Mrazek more the McE. So we’re back to 3 out of 4 for Mrazek.

We have rode those two previous backups as a tandem all season. No sense changing a winning formula now. Our number one goalie is the guy in the crease on any given night.

• Like 2

NHL Network says our magic number is 10 points.

Looking at the schedules, this is going to be a very interesting last two weeks.

Blue Jackets               Canadiens                    Hurricanes
3/26 vs. Islanders         3/26 vs. Panthers          3/26 @ Capitals
3/28 vs. Canadiens      3/28 @ Blue Jackets       3/28 vs. Capitals
3/30 @ Predators        3/30 @ Jets                    3/30 vs. Flyers
3/31 @ Sabres                                                   3/31 @ Penguins
4/02 vs. Bruins             4/02 vs. Lightning          4/02 @ Maple Leafs

4/04 @ Capitals             4/04 vs. Devils

4/05 @ Rangers
4/06 @ Senators         4/06 vs. Maple Leafs      4/06 @ Flyers

Blue Jackets have 3 games they SHOULD win(Sabres, Rangers, Senators). Islander, Bruins and Predators will be tough games and the one game head-to-head matchup against the Canadiens will be a make or break game. Islanders(Metro) and Predators(Central) are fighting for positions in their respective divisions. Bruins have locked up #2 spot, so they'll be fine tuning for the playoffs. Could be over for them if they lose their next 3 games.

Canadiens have 1 game they SHOULD win(Panthers). Jets, Lightning and Capitals will be tough games and the one game head-to-head matchup against the Blue Jackets will be a make or break game. Jets(Central) and Capitals(Metro) are fighting for positions in their respective divisions. Lightning have locked things up as the Presidents' Trophy winner and are just looking to keep consistency in their game. Maple Leafs are locked in the #3 spot, but I'm sure they would love to send their Canadian brothers to the golf course.

Hurricanes have 3 games we SHOULD win(Devils, Flyersx2). Capitals twice, Penguins and Maple Leafs will be tough, especially Caps and Pens, since we're all fighting for position in the Metro. We had our tough head-to-head matchup Sunday and came away with a win against the Canadiens. 

Blue Jackets and Hurricanes have 1 magic bean that the Canadiens don't, so IMO they have the hardest schedule.

Please, don't let it depend on April 6th!!!!

Edited by hopper915

42 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

NHL Network says our magic number is 10 points.

Looking at the schedules, this is going to be a very interesting last two weeks.

Blue Jackets               Canadiens                    Hurricanes
3/26 vs. Islanders         3/26 vs. Panthers          3/26 @ Capitals
3/28 vs. Canadiens      3/28 @ Blue Jackets       3/28 vs. Capitals
3/30 @ Predators        3/30 @ Jets                    3/30 vs. Flyers
3/31 @ Sabres                                                   3/31 @ Penguins
4/02 vs. Bruins             4/02 vs. Lightning          4/02 @ Maple Leafs

4/04 @ Capitals             4/04 vs. Devils

4/05 @ Rangers
4/06 @ Senators         4/06 vs. Maple Leafs      4/06 @ Flyers

Blue Jackets have 3 games they SHOULD win(Sabres, Rangers, Senators). Islander, Bruins and Predators will be tough games and the one game head-to-head matchup against the Canadiens will be a make or break game. Islanders(Metro) and Predators(Central) are fighting for positions in their respective divisions. Bruins have locked up #2 spot, so they'll be fine tuning for the playoffs. Could be over for them if they lose their next 3 games.

Canadiens have 1 game they SHOULD win(Panthers). Jets, Lightning and Capitals will be tough games and the one game head-to-head matchup against the Blue Jackets will be a make or break game. Jets(Central) and Capitals(Metro) are fighting for positions in their respective divisions. Lightning have locked things up as the Presidents' Trophy winner and are just looking to keep consistency in their game. Maple Leafs are locked in the #3 spot, but I'm sure they would love to send their Canadian brothers to the golf course.

Hurricanes have 3 games we SHOULD win(Devils, Flyersx2). Capitals twice, Penguins and Maple Leafs will be tough, especially Caps and Pens, since we're all fighting for position in the Metro. We had our tough head-to-head matchup Sunday and came away with a win against the Canadiens. 

Blue Jackets and Hurricanes have 1 magic bean that the Canadiens don't, so IMO they have the hardest schedule.

Please, don't let it depend on April 6th!!!!

I'll bet the Habs are even worried about the Panthers game.  Divisional battle and FLA has high end talent and are peaking now (too late).  I'd rather be us than the other 2 teams.

I figure we will get 1 out of 2 against Washington too.  We know them, its not an unknown how to play them.  We just have to do it.

Just saw this flight on Flightradar24 and realized it’s the Aisles flying into Columbus for tomorrow’s game...not sure who to root for 

B4214A06-0EE8-4DB4-9071-D947E1316D1E.png

24 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Just saw this flight on Flightradar24 and realized it’s the Aisles flying into Columbus for tomorrow’s game...not sure who to root for 

B4214A06-0EE8-4DB4-9071-D947E1316D1E.png

Until we're in we're not in.  I'm pulling for the Aisles.

• Like 1

Just now, LakeLivin said:

Until we're in we're not in.  I'm pulling for the Aisles.

If there was a way for BJs to win then suck the rest of the time, I’d be ok with that 

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

If there was a way for BJs to win then suck the rest of the time, I’d be ok with that 

Yeah, me too, lol.  I hate that CBJ finishes the season against Rags and Sens.  We've got Devils, but Flyers are in Philly, and they might still be playing for pride at that point.  And they've been good lately.

The "surge" legend keeps growing..

4:00pm.. ESPN bomonte jones does clip about how canes the most exciting team in NHL and shows the basketball surge..and a few others

4:30- ESPN dan lebartard.. Amin calls canes "america's team" and again shows what fun they are and the basketball surge and fish surge

• Like 3

I'm rooting for the Isles too; don't want the teams behind us to catch us although I think we're too far ahead for CBJ to catch us.  They might catch Montreal if MTL falters but I don't see us collapsing because if we do it would be monumental.

These next two games vs Washington are big.  I think if we pick up 3 of 4 points during the home and home and CBJ loses either Tuesday or Thursday we're pretty much a lock for the playoffs because we'd have 94 pts with 5 games to play.  If anything we need to be focused on holding our position and catching Pittsburgh...if they can be caught.  They've been playing better of late. 

I know we can beat Washington.  Didn't we blow like a two goal lead vs them earlier in the year during the Darling experiment? If we get a lead on them now with our current goalies I don't think it's going to be as easy for them to come back now because we're a better team.  Washington is good too but Minnesota beat them.  I'd love to see us sweep them in this home and home but I think one win is more feasible.  It'd be hard to sweep the best team in the division right now.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

The key in that series is stopping Ovechin. If we can stop him we have a chance.  He had a hat trick against us earlier in the year.

I think the real key in that series is not letting the dirtiest player in the NHL (Wilson) take out a key member of this team heading down the stretch.

• Like 1

Just now, reelpirate5 said:

I think the real key in that series is not letting the dirtiest player in the NHL (Wilson) take out a key member of this team heading down the stretch.

If that happens I'm sure Ferland or somebody on the team will be all over him.  Kinda like TVR was all over Gourde for that hit on Staal.  I loved seeing our response to that.

1 hour ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I'm rooting for the Isles too; don't want the teams behind us to catch us although I think we're too far ahead for CBJ to catch us.  They might catch Montreal if MTL falters but I don't see us collapsing because if we do it would be monumental.

These next two games vs Washington are big.  I think if we pick up 3 of 4 points during the home and home and CBJ loses either Tuesday or Thursday we're pretty much a lock for the playoffs because we'd have 94 pts with 5 games to play.  If anything we need to be focused on holding our position and catching Pittsburgh...if they can be caught.  They've been playing better of late. 

I know we can beat Washington.  Didn't we blow like a two goal lead vs them earlier in the year during the Darling experiment? If we get a lead on them now with our current goalies I don't think it's going to be as easy for them to come back now because we're a better team.  Washington is good too but Minnesota beat them.  I'd love to see us sweep them in this home and home but I think one win is more feasible.  It'd be hard to sweep the best team in the division right now.

CBJ are 2 pts back of Habs but have a game in hand.  They win their next one and they jump the Habs in the standings because they own the tiebreaker.  As far as I'm concerned, I want both Habs and CBJ to lose until we have the WC1 spot sewn up.  We're not in until we're in.  

17 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

CBJ are 2 pts back of Habs but have a game in hand.  They win their next one and they jump the Habs in the standings because they own the tiebreaker.  As far as I'm concerned, I want both Habs and CBJ to lose until we have the WC1 spot sewn up.  We're not in until we're in.  

I do think CBJ has the chance to catch Montreal but the way we're playing now I just don't see them catching us.  We both have 7 games left and we're 5 points up on them.  I do agree we're not in until we're in but the only way CBJ or MTL can overtake us mainly CBJ since we've both played same # of games is if we struggle and they go on a tear and CBJ has been playing mediocre hockey at best lately since the deadline.  We just have to keep taking care of our business.  Carolina right now controls their own destiny.  If last night was any indication this team is obviously not going down any games the rest of the year without a fight.