The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

The Washington home and home will be very interesting. Those who think Tampa brought a little extra since we could be their round one matchup, this is even more true of Washington who might be our odds on first round match up. Early in the year this matchup has little relevance, but now there is some. Forslund mentioned that Washington is starting to round into playoff shape. They are still playing for the #2 slot, and really even home ice. They will likely want to show us that we don't belong on the ice with them. On the other hand, if we can play them strong (we can) and get 2-3 points out of it, they will end up realizing that they don't want to be on the ice with US round one. 

And our guys can know for the future, that they don't have to play in awe of the SC champs.

Pardon the Interruptio on ESPN had a brief piece on the Cane's storm surge.  They mentioned Cherry and then both guys said they like it. Not huge news, but had to smile a bit.

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

The Washington home and home will be very interesting. Those who think Tampa brought a little extra since we could be their round one matchup, this is even more true of Washington who might be our odds on first round match up. Early in the year this matchup has little relevance, but now there is some. Forslund mentioned that Washington is starting to round into playoff shape. They are still playing for the #2 slot, and really even home ice. They will likely want to show us that we don't belong on the ice with them. On the other hand, if we can play them strong (we can) and get 2-3 points out of it, they will end up realizing that they don't want to be on the ice with US round one. 

I'm sure we can match their intensity.   Brindamour and Williams will likely tell the team how important this home and home is and to come ready to play.  If we play with them like we did TB last meeting but do it a full 60 minutes or 65 (if goes OT) instead of 40 it'll be a fun game.  I'm sure it will be playoff atmosphere and maybe end up being like the Pittsburgh game was last Tuesday.  I don't think Washington is a physical team so I don't think we need to worry about that and if they go after our best players we need to get back at them.

But yes, it will be a very interesting next couple of games.  They may be rounding into playoff shape but we've been a hot team for a better part of two months and have played playoff type games for a while now and fortunately for us the players on this team are not new to the playoff hockey style (Staal, Williams, Nino, Teuvo, Ferland, Hamilton, and McE) have playoff experience and Staal, Williams and Teuvo have 5 SC's between them.  That's a lot of cup experience and playoff experience to prepare the newbies like Aho and them for playoff caliber games. 

They have not faced us since we've been hot.  We're familiar with Washington's style of play and know we can beat them...we just have to prove it on the ice.  I'm still thinking we get 3 of 4 points.

3 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

They may be rounding into playoff shape but we've been a hot team for a better part of two months and have played playoff type games for a while now and fortunately for us the players on this team are not new to the playoff hockey style.....

They have not faced us since we've been hot. 

Exactly. They haven't faced us since our post December 31 breakout. We haven't played them as they hone for playoffs. That's about to change. And to make it fair, one game in our house, one game in theirs. And both teams with something to play for in addition to making a statement to the other team. A mini series that could be a preview of an opening round playoff series. 

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Exactly. They haven't faced us since our post December 31 breakout. We haven't played them as they hone for playoffs. That's about to change. And to make it fair, one game in our house, one game in theirs. And both teams with something to play for in addition to making a statement to the other team. A mini series that could be a preview of an opening round playoff series. 

We agree on one thing.  It will be a very interesting next two games.  We do have something more to prove than Washington does though. They won the cup so they don't need to prove anything.  The Canes need to prove to their fans that they can beat Washington since it has yet to be done this season...not this year because our two losses were last year at the beginning of this season during the Darling experiment.

I do know that I don't think either game will be high scoring.  I'm sure they'll be close games.  I'm looking forward to tomorrow night.  I hope we come out ready to play.  Fortunately, we've had a day off after that emotional win vs MTL.  Let's just hope we can keep it going.

9 hours ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

My crystal ball and my hope is still this due to the way we're playing (27-9-2)

Three of 4 points in the home and home vs Washington, beat Philly, lose to Pittsburgh (don't think we'll beat them twice at home the same season), beat Toronto (struggling right now a little), beat NJ and lose to Philly.  In our final seven that puts us at 4-2-1 for 100 points.  So far, for the remainder I've been right.  I said earlier we'd be 6-2-1 with wins vs Minnesota and Montreal and look what happened.😊

Our only real test the final 7 is the two with Washington because we've never beaten them yet...that was during our struggles though.  We're different and better now.  The key in that series is stopping Ovechin. If we can stop him we have a chance.  He had a hat trick against us earlier in the year.

I posed this earlier and got no response, Is Ovechkin still killing it? I ask because I've not seen quite as much hype lately and just wondered if I'd tuned him/it out or is he slowing some?

22 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I posed this earlier and got no response, Is Ovechkin still killing it? I ask because I've not seen quite as much hype lately and just wondered if I'd tuned him/it out or is he slowing some?

Don’t know about tonight, but on XM this afternoon they were talking about how long he stayed on 48 goals. I think he finally got #49 in their last game. Please hold the breakout until next Friday.

Off topic but I had to post this. I am not wasting any more time reading Hockey Buzz. I know it’s a rag, but some of their local blogs are interesting. However, for the last 10 days or so, they have been projecting playoffs and final records. After yesterday’s games, they have the Canes missing the playoffs with 92 points, with a projected final record of 41-31-10. This after the Canes won their 42nd game! And they have Columbus ending with 98 points, meaning finishing 6-1. Are they that incompetent or are they just pandering to markets they think visit their site more often? Anybody recommend a couple of good sites to get current commentary and team blogs that is not completely full of crap?

8 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Don’t know about tonight, but on XM this afternoon they were talking about how long he stayed on 48 goals. I think he finally got #49 in their last game. Please hold the breakout until next Friday.

Nope still on 48.  He didn't score vs the Flyers.  I agree hold the breakout until after the home and home.  I don't care if he gets one goal each game because that'll likely happen but no more hat tricks please.

7 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Off topic but I had to post this. I am not wasting any more time reading Hockey Buzz. I know it’s a rag, but some of their local blogs are interesting. However, for the last 10 days or so, they have been projecting playoffs and final records. After yesterday’s games, they have the Canes missing the playoffs with 92 points, with a projected final record of 41-31-10. This after the Canes won their 42nd game! And they have Columbus ending with 98 points, meaning finishing 6-1. Are they that incompetent or are they just pandering to markets they think visit their site more often? Anybody recommend a couple of good sites to get current commentary and team blogs that is not completely full of crap?

LOL.  Good luck with that regarding Columbus.  They're likely not credible now (the site that is).  No good sites, sorry.  I usually visit the main NHL site or the NHL section of espn.com

I'm living in Prague. The hockey crowd here is bigly. Whenever a Czech hockey fan in a bar see's my Canes touque or scarf they're like: "You are a Caroleena' hockey?"  Followed by: "They like Mrazek?"  The Czechs are proud of their boy. They're following along...They also want Necas on the big team now. I tell them I'll talk with Don see what I can do. My Canes wear's gotten me a few free Staropramen's (Czech 'lemonade') since last December.

17 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

I'm living in Prague. The hockey crowd here is bigly. Whenever a Czech hockey fan in a bar see's my Canes touque or scarf they're like: "You are a Caroleena' hockey?"  Followed by: "They like Mrazek?"  The Czechs are proud of their boy. They're following along...They also want Necas on the big team now. I tell them I'll talk with Don see what I can do. My Canes wear's gotten me a few free Staropramen's (Czech 'lemonade') since last December.

raleighcaniac, my wife and I hosted 2 exchange students from Czech several years ago, and I always thought that as a country, they were very respectful and sophisticated in their demeanor? How in the world do you fit in there, haha? Raise a glass of that "lemonade for me, and Go Canes (Mrazek).

13 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Well it looks like the Rags are packing it in this season and making tee time reservations already 

Yeah, they were up 2-0 on the Pens and then the goalie took a nap.

• Like 3

SCOREBOARD WATCHING

Isles @ CBJ  I still want to chase the Isles but I also want to clinch. Another CBJ loss and they are all but done. Either way make it decided in regulation

Panthers @ Habs  I'm a kitty fan tonight

• Like 1

4 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

I'd been saving this for the Flyers game (given the colors and brewery of origin), but while in Philly a couple of weeks ago, my kid laid this on me. I think your Czech buddies will appreciate it:

HipCzech.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

SCOREBOARD WATCHING

Isles @ CBJ  I still want to chase the Isles but I also want to clinch. Another CBJ loss and they are all but done. Either way make it decided in regulation

Panthers @ Habs  I'm a kitty fan tonight

Well this pair is easy for me. We need Columbus gone. If they lose and we win: 7 points up, 6 games for both to go. If they win and we lose? We're 3 points up on them. If Montreal AND Columbus win and we lose, that's up 3 and 1 point on missing entirely. 

The scoreboard has rarely been our friend in this crazy run. Just once. Tonight. I'm asking for zero points to CBJ and MTL. And, of course, a win in Washington. 

• Like 1

Not sure of this guy's credibility level.

And then you got Chip freshly running this article

Edited by legend-1

18 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Not sure of this guy's credibility level.

:mad::shock:.

This is now what our committee led us to believe....I hope it's posturing. 

Canes seemed confident they would get Fox signed. At rookie camp in June, Canes GM Don Waddell said: "I'd say it's 99.9 percent we will get him signed. I don't see it being as issue at all."

1 hour ago, remkin said:
Also from Chip's Tweet:

Canes seemed confident they would get Fox signed. At rookie camp in June, Canes GM Don Waddell said: "I'd say it's 99.9 percent we will get him signed. I don't see it being as issue at all."

Chip Alexander added,

Well, as they(whoever that is) say, "live and learn". Sorry for Waddell that he seems to have struck out on two trades this past year, the one we knew about with Buffalo, which I was and remain fine with, then this one where we gave Lindholm and Hanafin and now stand to possibly only get Hamilton to remain if Ferland moves out? C'est la vie?