The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Well this pair is easy for me. We need Columbus gone. If they lose and we win: 7 points up, 6 games for both to go. If they win and we lose? We're 3 points up on them. If Montreal AND Columbus win and we lose, that's up 3 and 1 point on missing entirely. 

The scoreboard has rarely been our friend in this crazy run. Just once. Tonight. I'm asking for zero points to CBJ and MTL. And, of course, a win in Washington. 

Vs their next two opponents Columbus is 0-5 overall with two shutouts (both by the Islanders).  They also have yet to beat MTL so they'll likely be gone from the playoff chase by the weekend if we keep taking care of business.  These two games are big if we want to have a chance to lock a playoff spot.  I don't want to have to wait until the last game of the season.

14 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Other than that, how is the night going?

Well supposedly Fox snubbed us, so there's that. So not so great.

I'm still confident that we're making the playoffs - it's ours to lose.  Looking realistically at the schedule, if all of us had pointed at the one game we were most-likely not to win, 90% of us would have pointed at last night.  We are still closer to catching the Isles than the BJs are to catching us (as long as we take care of our business and win the magic bean game), so i will stand up as apparently the one person in this forum happy about the result of the CBJ-NYI game.  I'll say again, if we miss the playoffs it's because we couldn't take care of our own battles and not because the now-mediocre (since the trade deadline) Blue Jackets happened to win a game.

Concerning Fox, it sucks bad, but with the defensive depth we have in front of him, we weren't sure how we were going to make room for him anyway, especially since Faulk decided to become a defenseman this season and Hamilton decided to become a hockey player over the past few months.  The sky isn't falling yet and we win 2 or 3 more games this season, we're in the playoffs.

Score more than they do, guys.

Canes need to trade Fox rights away if they can’t sign him.  The Calgary trade will turn out to be a Huge mistake long term if fox and Ferland leave for nothing.  

22 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

Beat the Caps Thursday and the Canes should get in the dance.  Lose, then things are going to get crazy and very nerve wracking for 8 days or so 

It's already a little too nerve wracking for me. At the moment we are a likely to lose the playoffs (CBJ just 3 pts back) as we are to get second place ( Pens and Isles just 4pts ahead). We control our destiny.  Six games left. The game in hand over Montreal, Isles and Pens  could be huge. :nailbite:

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

The bad news is our last games are against Caps, Pens, and Leafs.  The good news is they are also against Philly twice and NJ.  I'm liking our chances.

I'll take our sched between ours and MTL.

• Like 2

The whole Fox thing is fine with me. Not what we gave up (and by that I mean Lindholm; Hanifin was never going to last here long-term with Roddy behind the bench, and Derek Ryan and Bill Peters are joined at the hip), but the fact that Fox wants to try the FA market.

For starters, he'd be a fool not to. I'm a little disappointed that Waddell couldn't puzzle that out on his own, but even if Fox turns into that rare kid who makes the jump from the practically-a-vacation NCAA schedule to playing 82 games on an NHL blue line in his rookie year, let alone making an impact, I'd rather some other team overpay him to make that bet.

The trade with Calgary got us Hamilton. If we can actually finish that deal as planned by moving Faulk (who, has anyone noticed, is starting to look like his old self again?) and signing Ferland (yes, I'm still holding out hope) it will be a good deal for both teams.

Let Fox leave the hen house, I really don't care.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The whole Fox thing is fine with me. Not what we gave up (and by that I mean Lindholm; Hanifin was never going to last here long-term with Roddy behind the bench, and Derek Ryan and Bill Peters are joined at the hip), but the fact that Fox wants to try the FA market.

For starters, he'd be a fool not to. I'm a little disappointed that Waddell couldn't puzzle that out on his own, but even if Fox turns into that rare kid who makes the jump from the practically-a-vacation NCAA schedule to playing 82 games on an NHL blue line in his rookie year, let alone making an impact, I'd rather some other team overpay him to make that bet.

The trade with Calgary got us Hamilton. If we can actually finish that deal as planned by moving Faulk (who, has anyone noticed, is starting to look like his old self again?) and signing Ferland (yes, I'm still holding out hope) it will be a good deal for both teams.

Let Fox leave the hen house, I really don't care.

Why do I feel like you felt obliged to type the first 3 sentences to mask you just wanted to fire your zinger at the end.  :) 

4 hours ago, hag65 said:

Why do I feel like you felt obliged to type the first 3 sentences to mask you just wanted to fire your zinger at the end.  :) 

It was up higher in an early draft :o)

(Yeah, that's a clown nose in the emoji.)

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

Gotta say I'm a bit surprised at the apathy about Fox walking. I don't know if it's a conditioned coping mechanism to look the other way at being the oft unwanted destination of guys with a choice, or the fact that prospects, even grade A ones don't register on the radar, or something else, but this is potentially a big missed gain. The caveat is that I'm not sure it's played out yet.

But this is not some "destined for a career in Charlotte also ran".  This kid is also not the typical undrafted senior that starts scoring in his senior year and gets teams excited late. Those guys often don't amount to much. No, Fox turned it on from the very start of his Freshman year. This guys's upside is insane. And even if we traded him once he was signed, we'd get a very good offensive prospect at least. Instead, he walks. To me this stings if it is true.

It does sting less since we are loaded on D and making a very rare run for the playoffs, but that's still rationalizing. (A nice coping method).

But it stings more IMO given Waddell's almost nonchalant uber-confidence that he'd be signed. That it wasn't even an issue.

If anyone has clear info since the word came out I'd like to hear it, because the News and Observer and Chip quote Waddell yesterday, and I think after the word broke that Fox was not signing with us:

Carolina Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said Tuesday that Harvard defenseman Adam Fox was undecided on whether to sign an entry-level contract with the team.

I'm speculating a bit, but it could also be posturing. If Fox is true to his word, he wants to be in the NHL as soon as possible. That means next season. It is possible that he's looking at our log jam at RHD (4 NHL'ers with one on his off side), and sees Charlotte. Perhaps he is signaling something there that can still be fixed. I don't think decisions now are binding, and as far as I can tell he has put out feelers rather than making a statement himself. And why announce this now? (I honestly don't know, maybe it's the time to do it, but seems he can wait to paint that decision final).

So I'm holding on before giving up entirely. It's also possible that this offseasaon Fox would sign if we could to a sign and trade to a team that could play him and that deal could net us a really nice forward. 

But if he walks for nada? Big miss, especially given the expectations laid down by Waddell.

I just want to re-examine the idea that maybe this is posturing. I base this on the following:

1. He did not release a statement. He let it leak from "multiple sources", but no definitive statement by Fox. I'm thinking this is not an accident. 

2. Waddell insists, AFTER the Fox leak, that Fox remains undecided. 

3. Fox has stated in his own actual words that it's all about getting to the NHL as soon as possible. He is beyond good enough to find an NHL team that will play him next year. But while going back to Harvard would give him UFA status, he would NOT be getting to the NHL as soon as possible. 

4. Why now? Again, I don't really know when it is customary to make these kinds of announcements, but Harvard is still playing, and I don't think he has to do this now. But if he's trying to posture, now might be as good of a time as any. 

Why posture? So that the Canes know he's serious about NHL now, or it's back to Harvard. It's a card he has available to him to play. This could mean we move a RHD or two, or it could mean we trade his rights with a sign and trade deal. As much as I'd hate to miss out on watching this kid wear the sightless eye, if we get a prime offensive guy for him, (or a package with him), that would be better than just letting him walk.

This is being reported as essentially a done deal, and maybe it is, but then again, maybe not. I'm sure Waddell has been on the phone and he says it's not done, at least as of this minute.

Just now, remkin said:

I just want to re-examine the idea that maybe this is posturing. I base this on the following:

1. He did not release a statement. He let it leak from "multiple sources", but no definitive statement by Fox. I'm thinking this is not an accident. 

2. Waddell insists, AFTER the Fox leak, that Fox remains undecided. 

3. Fox has stated in his own actual words that it's all about getting to the NHL as soon as possible. He is beyond good enough to find an NHL team that will play him next year. But while going back to Harvard would give him UFA status, he would NOT be getting to the NHL as soon as possible. 

4. Why now? Again, I don't really know when it is customary to make these kinds of announcements, but Harvard is still playing, and I don't think he has to do this now. But if he's trying to posture, now might be as good of a time as any. 

This is being reported as essentially a done deal, and maybe it is, but then again, maybe not. I'm sure Waddell has been on the phone and he says it's not done, at least as of this minute.

Who knows why.  Maybe he wanted to keep people from asking about his future. 

Maybe he is posturing for us to make a move (because we haven't made one).

2 hours ago, iceman11 said:

Canes need to trade Fox rights away if they can’t sign him.  The Calgary trade will turn out to be a Huge mistake long term if fox and Ferland leave for nothing.  

They can't, can they?  I don't know all the ins and outs of the CBA, but wouldn't the trade deadline have been the deadline to trade his rights as well?  That said, i disagree with your second sentence.  Had Lindholm and/or Hanifin been great fits here with multi-year contracts, perhaps, but as i opined elsewhere, they were both in the last year of their contract and they likely weren't going to re-sign here (or the Canes weren't going to sign them, end result being exactly the same).  We traded 2 years for 4, with the longer-termed player playing his best hockey of the season.  Again, i'll take it.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Let Fox leave the Pig Pen, I really don't care.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, remkin said:

13 hours ago, remkin said:

I never thought he’d sign. He wants to go to a big market, big time contender.

As much as I’d like to be wrong, my preseason thoughts on how we’d end up are still true.

Hurricanes: please prove me wrong and be a much improved team that MAKES the playoffs!

Come on everyone. Don't let this loss throw you down a hole. Yes it was a super important game, but it was also against the defending champs rounding into form, ON THE ROAD. I see a lot of instant death march folks when we were oh so positive a week ago. Yes we looked average to bad in that game (which I said in the game day thread) , but I've seen nothing from this team in the last 3 months that suggest were going to roll over an just quit. We haven't lost 2 in a row in a while if Im not mistaken. They have great bounce back ability and have shown it. It stinks, yes. It's high pressure, yes. Do we all want to just mosey in without worry? Yes. It's not all that easy especially when there's other teams that want it just as bad. Try to enjoy yourselves. Yes it will be horrible if we are the odd team out, but man, it's been entertaining right?

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

We haven't lost 2 in a row in a while if Im not mistaken. 

@B’s and vs Winnipeg earlier this month 

I hope Fox signs and if he does, that he’s everything we’ve been hoping. But I remember Hanifin being projected as a generational defenseman who “fell” to us at 5 overall. Well, he was rushed to the NHL because as I understand it, he was headed back to college if we wanted him to play in the A. He may yet fulfill that promise, but he did not instantly transform our blue line, and we are just fine without him. If Fox doesn’t want to be here, or doesn’t want to earn a spot after he is signed, let him go. Maybe the rumors are untrue and he will sign here. I would not trade away 2 or 3 guys off a very good blue line in the hopes he would sign if we clear a place for him.

• Like 1