The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

4 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

They can't, can they?  I don't know all the ins and outs of the CBA, but wouldn't the trade deadline have been the deadline to trade his rights as well?

I'm not absolutely sure but I think with a college player the team owns his rights until 30 days, maybe 60 days after he leaves college. If that is the case we could trade his rights to a team looking for an inside edge before he would become a FA in the summer after next season.

For college NCAA players that have been drafted, NHL teams retain their rights until 30 days after the player has left college.

The concern is that he seems to be going the FA route. Will see.

I'm not convinced Lindy would have ever put up 70 points here.  Also it is highly likely if we haven't had made this trade we would not be talking about the post season chances right now so there is that too.

• Like 2

I clearly think just losing Fox outright would be a bad thing. Not fatal, just not good. 

That said, I have really started liking Dougy. Historically teams that win the cup have had that two way defender who can shut down, move the puck and create offense. Slavin is an absolute beast, and frankly I can't even imagine trading him, but neither he nor Pesce bring that elite offense from the back end. Hamilton does. Considering he was hurt and how well he's stepped up since healing and gelling with this team, that is a keeper. 

What I'm saying is two things. 1. Don't trade Hamilton. 2. If we follow #1, no matter what happens to Ferland and Fox, we can say, "well we have Hamilton", and that trade will seem pretty good. 

I still want Fox though. And if not, I want to be able to trade him.

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

I still want Fox though. And if not, I want to be able to trade him.

This is what really irritates me...he has all the leverage here.  And he hasn’t done a damn thing to earn it!

Something to talk about I guess, but I'll think about Fox later.  Negative waves.

There is hockey to win, and it's going to go down to the wire.  I knew it would.  Hang on, every period won't go our way, but my money is on getting it done.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Hope he enjoyed flushing a quarter billion down the drain 

https://es.pn/2TEWN8S

He didn’t give them 250 million. He promised to invest the money at some point. Im sure he made a small initial investment. The rest, Im sure, was contingent upon conditions.  

18 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

He didn’t give them 250 million. He promised to invest the money at some point. Im sure he made a small initial investment. The rest, Im sure, was contingent upon conditions.  

I feel sure TD put in enough $$$ to keep the league from folding after week 2, or whenever it was that he got involved. He’s probably been putting in enough weekly to keep the doors open 7 more days. And I’m sure he has an out whenever he decides the league is not salvageable. Meaning he will have lots more money to fund his other, more successful sports endeavor.

Scoreboard Watching 👀

Montreal @ Columbus  Somebody has to lose. A regulation loss would be nice.

Islanders @ Winnipeg   An Isles loss combined with a Hurricanes win would see us pull within 2pts of third place. Jets need to fly high tonight.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, OBXer said:

What a wonderful acknowledgment for a complete gentleman. Bravo, and we are so fortunate that Torontoians (or however it might be spelled) are greater Jerks than us? 

• Like 1

Canes goalie Curtis McElhinney has been nominated for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy by the Carolina chapter of the PHWA.

The Carolina "chapter" of the Professional Hockey Writers Association? Toronto has a chapter. New York, chapter. We have a footnote.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The Carolina "chapter" of the Professional Hockey Writers Association? Toronto has a chapter. New York, chapter. We have a footnote.

Just a Chip Alexander tweet.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

I hope Fox signs and if he does, that he’s everything we’ve been hoping. But I remember Hanifin being projected as a generational defenseman who “fell” to us at 5 overall. Well, he was rushed to the NHL because as I understand it, he was headed back to college if we wanted him to play in the A. He may yet fulfill that promise, but he did not instantly transform our blue line, and we are just fine without him. If Fox doesn’t want to be here, or doesn’t want to earn a spot after he is signed, let him go. Maybe the rumors are untrue and he will sign here. I would not trade away 2 or 3 guys off a very good blue line in the hopes he would sign if we clear a place for him.

The difference is that with a four year career in NCAA hockey, he should’ve already developed by the time gets here.

The thing is neither side knows what is the long term result. I imagine Jack Johnson regrets not signing on for what became our cup run. Who knows if we would’ve won with him on our team.

This is why I'm still not 100% sold on playoffs:

The Hurricanes are 2-for-29 on the power play (6.9 percent) in 13 games in March and 0-for-14 in their past eight games. They did not have a power-play opportunity during a 4-1 loss to the Capitals on Tuesday.

9 hours ago, OBXer said:

Scoreboard Watching 👀

Montreal @ Columbus  Somebody has to lose. A regulation loss would be nice.

Islanders @ Winnipeg   An Isles loss combined with a Hurricanes win would see us pull within 2pts of third place. Jets need to fly high tonight.

Definitely Columbus, because they're in our own division and they don't have a game in hand on us like we have on Montreal.  So go Montreal!

4 hours ago, Kyrule said:

No more Storm Surge after tonight.

No more Storm Surge after tonight or after tonight.  Focus on the game and not the production.  The surge was fun but starting to get weird, and potentially distracting.

Edited by wxray1

One more thing.  Injuries, known and unknown.

I don't think it is a coincidence that things are going a bit south after Aho's knee was obviously compromised by friendly fire.   He's not the only one.  Yes, all teams have issues.  However, I think the Canes have taken a few nasty, hidden hits to overall health.  It is adding up.

• Like 2