The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

32 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

legend, how large was Ottawa's Erik Karlsson? Seems to me that he was not overly large and managed to do pretty well?

I'm just ****** off and rambling. But there isn't a ton of 5'10 guys on the blueline so he's gotta be a really rare kid to pull it off and his attitude doesn't seem to bode well for that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Wonder if Rangers are gloating and want this kid immediately, possibly we could get Jimmy Vesey from them for him? Would y'all be satisfied with that trade? They seem to have cooled on Ves

y anyway?

A forward prospect like Filip Chytil would be great, but won't happen.  Jimmy Vesey is funny-ironic as a suggestion, but no, we don't need a d-man back.

I don't think the Rangers are giving up much, so maybe Donnie boy will show some nuts and just wait.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

Lightning tied right now with Ottawa. 🙄 I’m guessing the Habs will get the Junior B squad in their upcoming matchup. 

And Capitals getting killed by Florida of all teams?

8 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I'm just ****** off and rambling. But there isn't a ton of 5'10 guys on the blueline so he's gotta be a really rare kid to pull it off and his attitude doesn't seem to bode well for that.

I get yah, these privileged acting snobs? But we enable them by bowing down to their antics, and raving over their skills? Mark my words, sports are in a self-destructive phase, and made so by us fans living vicariously thru our heroes? I do it just as much as anyone legend, so I'm not singling you out, but look at the $$$$$$ some of them make? We turn our heads to that, and have another round while we engage in our outlet (sports), meanwhile enable these privileged prima donnas to run amuck? No different than the gladiators of Ancient Rome and the decadent society that surrounded them?

• Like 1

Ask the rangers for the Jets 1st rounder, & maybe settle on the Rags 2nd rounder. Other teams like LA, Colorado, & the Ducks also have 2 - 1st rounders if you don't want him to be in the East.

Just was looking around and what really chaps me about this whole Fox deal, and yeah yeah I know some are boasting they called this back last year, but once again the Canes are made the proverbial hind end of league wide jokes, while we seem to be once again teetering on post season play about to topple into a decade of frustration? COME ON CANES

11 minutes ago, dinz said:

toronto up 2-0 , can clinch playoff spot with one point.

If they clinch, maybe they might not give a **** about tomorrow night, and we finally gat a break?

• Like 1

toronto won. i assume they wont go back to Anderson tomorrow. Their playoff position is set. However, we need to take care of business and hope Montreal loses. We do not want it to come down to the final game. 

There's a lot of anger here today.  Me too, can't blame us!  I hope the team puts some of that energy into the game tonight.

(P.S. JJ, now that you made your cash and got out of your family-dug hole, you can take this -- *raspberries* to you too!)

12 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I think getting a 2nd for him is pretty doable. I'd push for a first though but I think a 2nd will be the middle ground that get's it done if we wanna wash our hands of him.

Reason being is if some team wants him and he's willing to sign then that team should want him ASAP and not risk UFA/getting him a year later after his development has stalled in the NCAA.

Personally I think this kid with his entitled attitude is going to face plant and maybe some other teams will catch onto that as well. 

Rangers keep coming up a bit too much for my liking as well, tampering much?

Also if the kids honest to god serious about his education, he's gotta be doubting his 5'10 frame lasts in the NHL as much as I am.

Three things:

1 - FOX: “this kid...is going to face-plant?”.  “Let him play at Harvard for nothing?”. Really?  Come on. He’s just a kid holding on to options. If he was my kid I’d be telling him to keep on working it. Besides, and assuming he stays and gets a degree??? Ah. Ask Burkie how an Ivy League diploma worked out for HIM...

2 - AHO and FERLAND:  Who knows what’s wrong with Aho. Is he dinged-up? Maybe. Has he dropped off the radar before? Yeah.  And Ferly? Dinged-up? Yah. Shuffled down the depth chart? Yeah. Bottom lip poked out? Hmm. While you’re asking Brian Burke how he leveraged his Harvard degree, ask him how Ferland acted in Calgary when he got shuffled down the lines last year.

3 - NETMINDING:  While many observers lauded Roddy for letting his G coach play chess, it’s time to put the saddle on Mzar and ride him to the barn.  I know some of you like to go all “SAS” with the analytics, so have at it... but I, for one, will submit for you that the Canes look like an entirely different squad when they are in front of Mac. The blue line plays scared. That frightens Mac.  The Fs and C get the yips and puke the puck. The bench is on edge. That distracts Roddy.  Vicious cycle.  Impending doom has it’s own incideous stream of consciousness.  Considering we have but a handful of games to mitigate a decade of horse$h*t, it’s time to name names. “Gimmicky” goalie management was interesting while it lasted, but stop with the JV platooning BS and give Mraz the nod ... and let the chips fall.

Edited by Porter100
Typo

Scoreboard Watching 👀

Boston @ Columbus  No magic beans left. Give us a helping hand. Bs fan tonight
Tampa Bay @  Montréal  I've Habs enough. Go for the record Tampa

Pittsburgh @ Detroit  just because

15 minutes ago, Porter100 said:

Three things:

1 - FOX: “this kid...is going to face-plant?”.  “Let him play at Harvard for nothing?”. Really?  Come on. He’s just a kid holding on to options. If he was my kid I’d be telling him to keep on working it. Besides, and assuming he stays and gets a degree??? Ah. Ask Burkie how an Ivy League diploma worked out for HIM...

2 - AHO and FERLAND:  Who knows what’s wrong with Aho. Is he dinged-up? Maybe. Has he dropped off the radar before? Yeah.  And Ferly? Dinged-up? Yah. Shuffled down the depth chart? Yeah. Bottom lip poked out? Hmm. While you’re asking Brian Burke how he leveraged his Harvard degree, ask him how Ferland acted in Calgary when he got shuffled down the lines last year.

3 - NETMINDING:  While many observers lauded Roddy for letting his G coach play chess, it’s time to put the saddle on Mzar and ride him to the barn.  I know some of you like to go all “SAS” with the analytics, so have at it... but I, for one, will submit for you that the Canes look like an entirely different squad when they are in front of Mac. The blue line plays scared. That frightens Mac.  The Fs and C get the yips and puke the puck. The bench is on edge. That distracts Roddy.  Vicious cycle.  Impending doom has it’s own incideous stream of consciousness.  Considering we have but a handful of games to mitigate a decade of horse$h*t, it’s time to name names. “Gimmicky” goalie management was interesting while it lasted, but stop with the JV platooning BS and give Mraz the nod ... and let the chips fall.

Points 2 and 3 have nothing to do with what I said and at least 50% of point 1 has nothing to do with what I said. 

I dunno why you or others tell yourself this is about education. He'll play this year for select NHL teams that allow him to immediately play and forgo the degree in an instant. Not about education at all. He's just got better things to do than play for a team he doesn't like.

So what we know based on this is he's got an entitlement problem, thinks he should just skip past any amount of proving himself because he won the Hobey and take an NHL'ers spot whose earned it. As for face planting, yes I think he's going to be a mediocre NHL'er with his attitude and he's got the size issue to overcome as well. As for life, sure I bet his Ivy league degree makes him rich if he even finishes it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Porter100 said:

Three things:

Porter, all sage observations, however as wxray observed, and although not the charitable reasoning you profess, but I think #1 in your list is dependent on the longevity of a Hurricanes' fan. If one has suffered thru years of ridicule from hockey snobs, being regaled as Nascar and Mayberry fans, our single bright spot of 05-06 constantly being put down as the product of rules changes, game attendance ridiculed as an excuse for relocation, constantly hearing a charge of organizational cheapness or numerous other demeaning observations including frequently attending games where you wonder who really is the home team, then yeah it stings to see a potential quality player use a loophole in drafting to worm his way onto a team of his choosing.

Your point about a degree, whether it be from a staid university or any institution of higher education is poignant, however that could be attained during offseason or by online courses, so that doesn't wash.

And finally, your comment "if he was my kid I'd be telling him to keep on working it" is an attitude though reasonable sounding, IMHO undermines the basic strength and value of TEAM sports, as it encourages an elitist attitude leading to what seems to be going on in the NBA(which I despise) wherein a player can choose his teammates at will?

Finally, sorry legend, you posted just as I was finishing mine?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

If you don't want to be here I don't want you here.  Just another entitled @#$%.

Guy can really pass and puck handle though, I'll give him that.

• Like 2

I've mentioned, it but I want to work it out a tiny bit more. If he has a problem with playing here, it's probably one of two things. 1. He has a distain for the small market and wants the big city lights and maybe even an original team, or even worse specifically doesn't want to play in Raleigh. 2. He may be fine with the small market and Raleigh, but sees a massive log jam on D here. 

In the end it doesn't really matter because we cannot commit to trade a proven player now. I keep asking, but I don't know, does this guy have to declare soon? Can he just wait this out and see if we move someone? Trades happen near the draft, then around UFA time at start of July. If it's the log jam thing, it would seem he could just wait it out. 

But our log jam is pretty deep, and as time has gone on, trading a guy seems harder since so many guys have stepped up, and Faulk has only one year on his contract. I absolutely do not trade Dougy now that I've seen his upside. But Pesce? Obviously I think plus minus tells a tale at the extremes, and while Pesce's play is not flashy, the guy once more leads the team at plus 33. The guy is career plus 45 on almost all minus teams. He is not playing bottom pairings against 4th lines. 5 on 5 this year, our team scored 33 more goals that the other team with Pesce on the ice. This leads to winning. 

So the guy to trade IMO is still Faulk, but he has to be signed to get more than Pu back, and that could complicate things since it's not necessarily in his best interest, or he may not want to do that. TVR has been very solid, is on a bottom pair contract and won't return the kind of guy we need most likely. 

Tripp said that Pesce is remarkably good on his off-side, but then Slavin is a no trade IMO, DeHaan is extremely solid and came here of his own free will as a UFA, so while I do think he'd be a guy to trade (give to get), I doubt we do it. Fleury has potential, but not likely to return much in a trade. Keeping him on a cheap contract, then getting him some NHL chops makes more sense to me. 

But our log jam goes down to Bean too. A mid first rounder who is coming into form. 

If he's looking at our log jam, I don't really blame him. If he's trying to cherry-pick his team, then I'm miffed. First, because that is not how it should work. (IMO teams should own a guy's rights for one year AFTER his college career is done). Second, because that's prima donna stuff. Third, because it's another slap at Carolina and small markets. 

• Like 1

In terms of the log jam thing I will offer one alternative thought. If he does not have a clear path to the NHL, things happen. Look at Fleury. This was a #7 overall, #2 dman drafted guy. I get that some don't love his game, and he has had NHL games, but he is getting the outside track treatment exactly because of our depth. NHL D men are formed in the NHL. Guys need to get a lot of NHL games under their belts. Look at Roland McKeown. Second rounder, has dominated the AHL defensively with Pesce-like +/-. In a weak D system he'd be in the NHL. Or Bean, a mid first rounder, taken ahead of a desperately needed forward because we like him so much. He's looking more and more NHL ready, but there's not spot for him, let alone Fox.

I don't blame Fox for not wanting to take the chance he's stuck in the AHL for two more years or worse. He's 21 now having played 3 full years of college. If we can't clear a path for him and some other NHL team can, I'd do the same exact thing. It's a bit distasteful, but it gets the dream fulfilled. Look at Vesey. Yes he seemed to pick the Rangers for the lights, yes it was annoying as heck, but he also got onto an NHL roster with a good deal. As it turned out, he's probably not all that great. But he got to the NHL rather than taking a deal that could have buried him in the AHL.

I kind of blame the committee and specifically Waddell though with the done deal comments. Set us up. But it's not over until we see what we can get for him. If it's Pu, then it's another miss. But it could be more, so I'll wait. 

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

I've mentioned, it but I want to work it out a tiny bit more. If he has a problem with playing here, it's probably one of two things. 1. He has a distain for the small market and wants the big city lights and maybe even an original team, or even worse specifically doesn't want to play in Raleigh. 2. He may be fine with the small market and Raleigh, but sees a massive log jam on D here. 

In the end it doesn't really matter because we cannot commit to trade a proven player now. I keep asking, but I don't know, does this guy have to declare soon? Can he just wait this out and see if we move someone? Trades happen near the draft, then around UFA time at start of July. If it's the log jam thing, it would seem he could just wait it out. 

But our log jam is pretty deep, and as time has gone on, trading a guy seems harder since so many guys have stepped up, and Faulk has only one year on his contract. I absolutely do not trade Dougy now that I've seen his upside. But Pesce? Obviously I think plus minus tells a tale at the extremes, and while Pesce's play is not flashy, the guy once more leads the team at plus 33. The guy is career plus 45 on almost all minus teams. He is not playing bottom pairings against 4th lines. 5 on 5 this year, our team scored 33 more goals that the other team with Pesce on the ice. This leads to winning. 

So the guy to trade IMO is still Faulk, but he has to be signed to get more than Pu back, and that could complicate things since it's not necessarily in his best interest, or he may not want to do that. TVR has been very solid, is on a bottom pair contract and won't return the kind of guy we need most likely. 

Tripp said that Pesce is remarkably good on his off-side, but then Slavin is a no trade IMO, DeHaan is extremely solid and came here of his own free will as a UFA, so while I do think he'd be a guy to trade (give to get), I doubt we do it. Fleury has potential, but not likely to return much in a trade. Keeping him on a cheap contract, then getting him some NHL chops makes more sense to me. 

But our log jam goes down to Bean too. A mid first rounder who is coming into form. 

If he's looking at our log jam, I don't really blame him. If he's trying to cherry-pick his team, then I'm miffed. First, because that is not how it should work. (IMO teams should own a guy's rights for one year AFTER his college career is done). Second, because that's prima donna stuff. Third, because it's another slap at Carolina and small markets. 

I don't blame Adam Fox for trying to leverage the system to his own end.  Part of the problem is that the NHL needs to make the system more equitable for all entry level players.  Evidently (and I could be wrong), college players who get drafted can become free agents upon completing their degrees and/or 4 years later.  Others' can not.  Baseball has service time rules regulating when players become eligible for free agency.  I don't think it matters how they are signed.  College baseball players can refuse to sign and re-enter the draft.  In any case, Fox is simply playing by the rules that were established well before he became a part of the situation.

I think the Canes need to make a final decision, speaking with him, regarding his interest in playing for the team.  The team seems to want him, but if he sincerely does not want to play for the Canes, he is in the driver's seat.  If that is indeed the case, then trading him is a must.  He is a large asset, especially in a sign and trade to a team or teams of his choice.  I would rather see the Canes trade him for an NHL forward than a draft pick.  As far as the rest of the defense, we have Faulk, Hamilton, Pesce, TVR, and Mckewon on the right side, and Slavin, de Haan, Fleury, and Bean on the left side.  Faulk will be gone in 1 year, as will TVR.  They could both be trade assets, but neither will fetch that big a return.  

The team's monetary priorities in the off season have to be extending Aho and Petr anyway.  Ferland most likely walks, so the key move in the offseason could be a trade including Fox that yields a strong forward in return.

17 minutes ago, remkin said:

I kind of blame the committee and specifically Waddell though with the done deal comments.

But what else could Waddell say? "That guy is not going to sign with us (unless we trade couple of our D)?" To lessen both his possible trade value and trade value of our D? And to almost confirm that that piece in a trade with Calgary is useless for us? U think it was just ki d of that usual "we are exploring all options towards deadline" that you can hear from almost every GM in mid-February.

19 hours ago, remkin said:

That is way more definitive than the first rumor

I won't get into the weeds here, Rem, but you believed Fox had put it out there himself through others (generating the first report), only to deny it and claim that he "just wants to play in the NHL" when asked directly. THEN you said, "If he is true to his word..." 

Really? Your own belief is that he manufactured the whole thing in the first place, and it makes perfect sense that he would. So we already know he isn't anything like true--to his word or anything else. Not a guy I want in my dressing room, especially if he has the hubris to do it at the tender age of 21. Full of yourself much, Adam?

32 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

Dundon is folding the AAF.  The 75 he will lose could’ve gone a long way in extending Aho...

Translation: He looked at the model, knew it was flawed, made his pal Tony whole, and got the heck outta Dodge.

Extending Aho won't be an issue.