The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

When I think back to those long gone days that I posted about being on an Island in being able to see the potential if certain guys just had decent seasons, only to watch them fail en mass to do so, I now think about all of the parts that have come together to work for this team this year.

Goaltending? Really? We started with Mongo having done his full Rocky montage over the summer only to come out in great shape and.... still suck. Then we had Mrazek, who was so horrid last season that his career was on fumes here. Yet Mrazek DID outperform expectations massively. Then McE happened along, and suddenly we had goaltending. This is going to come down to one or two points in the standings. We are not even close to being here if BOTH guys didn't arrive. 

Hamilton. Hurt or not, at the start it was looking very shaky on this guy. Shaking our heads that he was actually on the list of 20 best NHL D men. But now? Oh, yes. I see it. And he seems to be fully in on being here. We are not here without him either. 

Rask for Nino? Yeah right. No really, it happened. Nino is on that 32 goal, 67 point pace since. While Rask has 3 goals. We are not here without that move either. 

Aho and TT. Yes, Aho seems off lately, and has probably been playing hurt lately, but this guy stepped up to superstar level this year. He's still over a point per game even with the injury drop off. TT, .91 pgg. And both guys play two ways. They are plus 60 this year between them. We are not here if these guys don't take that big step up.

Svech. Those realists among us did not expect some kind of massive breakout, but whether you did or not, this guy has 20 goals and 37 points while being 18 years old and playing almost entirely on a line where a guy like Ferland can't do much. And he's building. The flashes of elite skill are more and more evident as the year goes on. Oh is this guy going to be dominant soon.

Faulk. This is a new player this year.  From the start most people saw a different guy on the ice. He has cut down massively on the mistakes all over the ice. I don't know if someone worked with him or if he's just changed up his decision making, or he's quicker, or what, but he is now a steady puck moving player who makes far more good decisions than bad. And oddly, he's +7 this year which is #6 on the team. The math tells me that a typical -20 from Mr Faulk is 26 net goals in our net and we are, yes, not here. 

J Willy. The leadership is key, but he is still a slick forward and despite his age he's a 20 goal, 50 point guy. If he had a big age slip? Not here even with the leadership.

Pesce. I was thinking the usual rock solid: This is all about making plays in the D zone like shutdown clock work and a plus 33. But Pesce has 7 goals. That is tied for #48 in the NHL. (There are, in theory, 62 top pair D men). 

DeHaan (super steady veteran presence), McGinn (hard nosed physical, plus 8 even if not as good offensively), Ferland (lots of goals early and grit we need), Martinook (15 goals, grit, heart and helped Svech), Jordan (faceoffs, possession monster, leadership), and just about every Cane in their own way are all chipping into this thing. 

Lots of things coming together is what I'm saying.

• Like 3

I Think Aho needs to be paired up with Turbo next game WITH  Williams  and move Ferland  up  and Staal  up to the first line with Nino .  Im willing to bet  this will help  Aho regain his form  with Turbo and That Staal line  would be a wrecking Crew  with Ferland and Staal    playing hard  While Nino   Comes in  Sneaking  with his Revitalized  play ! 

12 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

We are making the playoffs!

Who here is with me?!!!

I'm with you. But what have you done with bluedevil58? ^_^

• Like 1

Look guys.  All I wanted is for the drought to be over.  I find it highly unlikely we will not make the playoffs even if we are swept first round.  Getting that experience is key for the young guns.

• Like 2

I just find it rather (ironic), (amusing), (laughable), (indicative), that the so called FACES of our franchise for all the hopeless, lean years(E. Staal, C. Ward, J. Skinner), find themselves with clubs that are on the outside looking in, just as a rejuvenation of our culture, fan base, league relevance, and competitive spirit return to respectable places in the league. I don't touch on this with any disdain for them as professionals, citizens, or involved members of the NC community, for they were stand up people, only equally ironically stating that the man obviously at the center of what's turned around here, RB, was right in their hip pocket in one form or another through it all for available leadership, guidance and influence. They also had less to work and blend with as we all know, but I can't help but think with so much of their careers and lives given to the Canes, that there isn't a sharp twinge of regret that they, moving past 09, were never able to be key figures in restoring and succeeding. I guess if I had to choose, I would feel something for Ward, who had to find great disappointment in never recapturing any of the glory of his young career here. Times change, athletes move on in this day and age, and so be it, but sentimentality exists in pros like anyone else, whether ever stated or acknowledged. You can bet, ES and CW, they've payed close attention. Skinner, probably not so much.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

We are making the playoffs!

Who here is with me?!!!

I want to believe it, but unless we win out, I just don’t feel confident. I think 98 is the magic number in the east this year, if lucky 97. I don’t see below that the way everyone has played of late.

Currently hoping Caps don’t perform against the Habs like the Bolts did the other night.

• Like 1

Scoreboard Watching 👀

Detroit @  Pittsburgh    Wing it tonight. We have our eyes on third place

Montréal @ Washington  If the stars and Ov align we could clinch tonight

Islanders @ Florida  Dream big. It could happen

14 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

I want to believe it, but unless we win out, I just don’t feel confident. I think 98 is the magic number in the east this year, if lucky 97. I don’t see below that the way everyone has played of late.

Currently hoping Caps don’t perform against the Habs like the Bolts did the other night.

I think it’s in Washington’s best interest to go all out for a win tonight.  There’s still a real possibility that NYI could win the Metro.  

NYI plays Florida tonight.  If they win and WAS loses, then they both play each other Saturday, with the winner winning the Metro. Washington winning tonight will guarantee the division no matter what.

46 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

I thought if we win tonight we are in?

5 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I thought if we win tonight we are in?

If we win we would have 97 pts

If Montreal wins they would have 96 pts

If CBJ wins tomorrow they would have 96 pts

How much fun is this?

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

If we win we would have 97 pts

If Montreal wins they would have 96 pts

If CBJ wins tomorrow they would have 96 pts

How much fun is this?

Lundquist has 449 wins, I hope Rags will play their butts off Friday against CBJ to help him get milestone win in front of home crowd

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Lundquist has 449 wins, I hope Rags will play their butts off Friday against CBJ to help him get milestone win in front of home crowd

Did not know that, but that's good news.

I hope the arena is a complete madhouse tonight!!  The team could use a jolt of energy to get this done.  If canes are winning and the canadiens happen to be losing, there could be a nice party tonight.  

• Like 1

• Like 2

On 12/14/2018 at 9:38 AM, wxray1 said:

Folks, last night was tough.   Team wxray has capitulated.  Let me explain.

Well last night, Mrs. wxray "broke."  I'm so angry with our used car salesman running the show, I've pretty much gotten to the point of just tuning out the game while watching.  Last night, I fell asleep during the 3rd period.  Every now and then, I'd hear noise and wake up, but always saw the score was not in our favor.  Mrs. left the room and went somewhere.  After the game, I found her in the other room crying.  She says she's had it and we are done.  I agreed.  We are done.

We have 8 more games, paid for, which we'll go to.  But after that, we are done.  (I pleaded for an exception if there are playoffs, and she said we can talk about it later.)

Her point was this is absolutely no fun at all in any way, shape, or form, be it on TV or at the game.  I cannot disagree.  She really took last night hard.  It is over for her.

So, it is over for me too.  I won't go away just yet.  However, we're dead inside.  We've gone through all the stages of grief and have reached acceptance.  It was fun while it lasted.

I plead my exception, I plead my exception!  :)  The fun returned right after this.  Life got better!  I was dead inside, but now I'm alive (although my voice is dead).

As Mrs. hugs me last night during the game celebration, she says, "Do you remember December when I was DONE?"  And we both had a laugh.  She was like the Andy Defraine character from Shawshank, "No, it was real, I was broken, completely broken."

Somewhere on this board, around the same time (mid December), I said something like, "Here we are, playing sub .500 hockey, and they'll have to go at least .670 for the rest of the year.  That ain't gonna happen."  Well, IT DID, and I'm eating crow, and I'm chuffed to do so.  It tastes great.  :crow:

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 4

Rod the Bod is the host of the season ending "3 questions with Simmer" this morning on SiriusXM Home Ice.

Throwing out some good zingers too.  :)

• Like 2

On 4/3/2019 at 2:26 PM, remkin said:

Lots of things coming together is what I'm saying.

Awesome list and breakdown. I wish I had the time and patience to rewatch 40 games or so, just to find the plethora of times when a player here, a player there dominated even as little as a shift or half period. I think you can go deep in this lineup and find instances where individual players took on "beastly" qualities and work ethic above and beyond their pay grades, and absolutely facilitated the growing of a team culture and bond. And that's just from sheer memory over the season with no formal documentation to support it, yet I'm sure many would agree nonetheless. It's basic personal experience I guess, having labored as a purely blue collar low level minor league pro with no high end skill, I came early in life to so profoundly appreciate the unheralded athletes who provide sheer backbone for winning sports teams and are in my eyes every bit as important in the long term as headline grabbers. I LOVED this team of achievers from the preseason and 9 point start out of the gate, and even though Nov/Dec was disappointing, I never once(check my first season of posting I would think) gave in to the bantered notion here by some that this was the same old same old. IT wasn't, but it did take a half to a whole season to really see the fruits of what RB could do with the team. I have to agree wholeheartedly with Hag I think that commented about RB's deserving of the award. What he's done in forcing a group of players that weren't too sure of themselves in the 2nd and 3rd months, I think is a far harder and more outstanding job than any of the other guys in the discussion, who have taken established cultures of winning and tweaked them and coached them to top areas of the league. Thanks Roddy. It's been an enjoyable 6 months, not just 3 for me.

• Like 1

Scoreboard Watching 👀

Scoreboard watching got a little easier after last night. One game of interest.

Columbus @ NY Rangers   The BJs can't bump us out but they can still bump us down. A Ranger win secures the top wildcard spot for us and will let The Habs and Jackets fight it out for the chance to face TB. All in on the Rangers tonight.

• Like 2