The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

9 hours ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

oh well. just win tomorrow so at least we know we wont face Tampa. Although, I kinda want too just to upset them in the first round and really go in with no one thinking we have a chance :)

Are we sure we want the Caps instead? 3rd in the Met would be great but I'm thinking I would rather face the Bolts then the Caps. The Bolts with all those points and the season they had will have a lot more pressure then the defending champs. Also we played much better against the Bolts then the Caps.

NHL Network’s “On The Fly” program had a nice video of the Canes season and their path to the playoffs on this morning’s show.

2 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Whoever it was that said they saw Waddel at the arena and laid into should seek him out and apologize

For what? For caring enough about the success of the team to actually speak to the GM in a public place about it? As I recall, the person who posted about it didn't "lay into" GMDW, just said that the committee's decisions didn't look good at the time....

• Like 1

Scoreboard Watching  👀

Hurricanes @ Flyers  Win and we are at worst in the W1-  just win
Rangers @ Penguins  We win and Pens lose we get 3rd. Rags to riches tonight
CBJ @ Senators  WE win it doesn't matter. We lose and CBJ wins they bump us to W2. We both lose and nothing changes. Sens fan tonight

I get the debate about Washington vs. Tampa. Tampa is soo loaded, I'd still rather avoid them. But Washington would be heavily favored against us too, and have learned how to play in the playoffs. The real get would be slipping past Pittsburgh. I know the Islanders have been amazing all year, but there is no doubt they'd be the preferred match up if we can win and get one piece of scoreboard help. The Rags are in Pittsburgh and we're on the road, and Pittsburgh wants to avoid Washington too, so it's a long shot. But that would be the bomb.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

For what? For caring enough about the success of the team to actually speak to the GM in a public place about it? As I recall, the person who posted about it didn't "lay into" GMDW, just said that the committee's decisions didn't look good at the time....

Well maybe I am remembering it differently I was sure it was more strongly worded then that. Also you take a guy that has only been on the job for a few months a read him the riot act because all the moving parts didnt instantly gel. The man at least deserves a "hey I jumped the gun"

• Like 1

I was just thinking today, if we were to not beat philly and MTL were to beat TOR and end up a point behind us, THAT FABULOUS OT winner by Svech a couple sunday nights ago will have turned out to have been the difference in our rising season. Talk about impact. We have a few rather grizzled vets whose impacts are beyond measure for sure, but what a season of maturation for the highly successful drafts(Aho, Svech) and off season pickups(TT, Marty) we've had in recent years.

• Like 1

I'll tell you one thing. If (and I've seen him at least 6 times) I see Waddell, I'm going to shake that man's hand and ask him how on Earth he made the trade of the year and got rid of Rask and stole Nino in the same move. I'm also going to beg him not to trade Dougy.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'll tell you one thing. If (and I've seen him at least 6 times) I see Waddell, I'm going to shake that man's hand and ask him how on Earth he made the trade of the year and got rid of Rask and stole Nino in the same move. I'm also going to beg him not to trade Dougy.

I doubt Dougie was available for more than an overpay. He was the one mentioned because other teams unofficially said “we discussed Dougie.”  

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

I doubt Dougie was available for more than an overpay. He was the one mentioned because other teams unofficially said “we discussed Dougie.”  

Could be. Who knows? But early on Dougie was struggling, and his name did pop up. Sure felt like he was not untouchable. If he wants to be here, I'd make him untouchable now. (Of course, if Edmonton wants to send us Draisaitl or something like that, but basically untouchable).

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

Well maybe I am remembering it differently I was sure it was more strongly worded then that. Also you take a guy that has only been on the job for a few months a read him the riot act because all the moving parts didnt instantly gel. The man at least deserves a "hey I jumped the gun"

I was no fan of making Waddell the GM, and I’m still not sure I’m on board for him staying in that role for the long haul. But I don’t think he could have done much better this year in hindsight.

1. Whoever was responsible for making Rod HC (I believe it was mainly Dundon) gets the most credit.

2. After Buffalo’s implosion, maybe getting rid of Skinner was necessary to the culture change, even if we on the outside thought the return was too little. Maybe Rod was mainly behind this, but Waddell certainly had to buy in for it to happen. As an aside, after he tailed off badly the last part of the year, what would you offer Skinner if you were Buffalo? I’m glad our resources will be going to others.

3. Martinook

4. Mrazek. Who thought this was the best we could do in the goaltending market last year? Not me, but boy was I wrong. I really want him back. Great play and I love his feistiness. I think the team loves playing in front of him.

5. McE. This was a no-brainer, but probably would not have happened if Darling hadn’t been injured at the right moment. Take out McE and keep Darling, and this season would have been very different. Still, Waddell pulled the trigger and deserves the credit.

6. Nino for Rask. Not just a great trade, but absolute thievery. Bet Minnesota fans are up in arms. With everything else on this list, when you come down to game 81 to get in, this was the move that put us over the top.

I probably left something out, but to sum it up, I would only give Waddell an A+ because there’s no higher grade. And I admit I was really down on him and Dundon the first half of the year. There are going to be a lot of tough decisions to make when this season’s over, so I hope DW, or TD or the “committee” keep up the good work. I’m going to try to have a little more faith this time around.

Hats off to all those who, like me, thought Dundon was being a cheap *edit* in making Waddell the GM and Brind'amour the coach instead of going outside the organization...

• Like 2

I’m still not 100% sold on DW because of his past with the Trash...but he’s been solid thus far with his waiver pickups and trades (except Skinner).  Notice I left off drafting ;)

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

McE. This was a no-brainer, but probably would not have happened if Darling hadn’t been injured at the right moment. Take out McE and keep Darling, and this season would have been very different. Still, Waddell pulled the trigger and deserves the credit.

I recall DW saying they would’ve made a move for BigMac even if Mongo hadn’t gotten hurt...because he felt we needed that insurance policy 

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

I’m still not 100% sold on DW because of his past with the Trash...but he’s been solid thus far with his waiver pickups and trades (except Skinner).  Notice I left off drafting ;)

If I remember correctly, ownership in Atlanta was a bit of a mess. It's possible he did all he could considering what he was working with. 

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

wasnt he not the main person while with the Trash? 

51 minutes ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

wasnt he not the main person while with the Trash? 

He was forced to trade the big names because the ownership was in a legal battle and not interested in funding more than one franchise.  They choose the Hawks.

i guess other GMs knew it because his return wasn’t great. 

21 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Other fun tidbit from Brett Finger this is the 2nd time in franchise history all 3 Canes affiliates are making the playoffs in the same year.

I'd of lost a bit of money on that trivia betting against that.

Thought you were speaking of Victor Rask.

I’m out of the loop. How much did Dundon lose on his football faux-pas?  Any chance he spends a measly 15-20m or so and starts building a respectable practice facility?

14 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

I’m out of the loop. How much did Dundon lose on his football faux-pas?  Any chance he spends a measly 15-20m or so and starts building a respectable practice facility?

$70M

On 4/5/2019 at 2:10 PM, hopper915 said:

The Canes, with the great job their social media team has done this season, should have done a delayed April Fool’s joke and announced we’ll be playing in the Whalers jerseys!  Can you imagine the shock, outrage and press coverage at that announcement!!! 🐳🐳🐳💚😂🤣

Well my Caps buddies wasted no time last night commencing the trash talk.  This series is personal and ranks up there with 2006 Edmonton.  Here’s to hoping the Canes do a 2009 Boston series, and Caps channel their former selves and lay a first round egg.

Just some fun numbers with McLovin' scoring his 10th goal and some others assists last night:

Canes had:

13 players with 10+ goals for the year( good solid depth)

9 players with 30+ Points

4 players with 40+ points

While the top end lagged in production, the overall depth about as good as any in league

And over the next few years expect svech, Aho, turbo etc to up the numbers on the top end