The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

So hard to keep up with prospects. I found this on Pritchard: https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/carolina_hurricanes_sign_jacob_pritchard/s1_14825_28891436

Guys who break out in college at age 24 don't tend to become big deals in the NHL, but he was #5 in the NCAA in scoring and part of a team that went all the way to the NCAA final game. If nothing else, he will almost certainly help the Checkers, and it another nice guy to have down there trying to show he can make the NHL.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

So hard to keep up with prospects. I found this on Pritchard: https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/carolina_hurricanes_sign_jacob_pritchard/s1_14825_28891436

Guys who break out in college at age 24 don't tend to become big deals in the NHL, but he was #5 in the NCAA in scoring and part of a team that went all the way to the NCAA final game. If nothing else, he will almost certainly help the Checkers, and it another nice guy to have down there trying to show he can make the NHL.

Can't hurt to test drive him.

• Like 2

How did Cleveland make the AHL playoffs over LeHigh Valley? LV had more points, better win % and was higher in the standings. 

I see the West does their playoffs based on Win % since some teams don't play as many games, but the East isn't immediately obvious what they do.

8 hours ago, legend-1 said:

How did Cleveland make the AHL playoffs over LeHigh Valley? LV had more points, better win % and was higher in the standings. 

I see the West does their playoffs based on Win % since some teams don't play as many games, but the East isn't immediately obvious what they do.

Looks like it's top 4 in each Division with no wild cards.

I've read several times that the AHL bases it's playoff standings on point percentage.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

hmmmmm..

As much as the Islanders are anxious to resume playing as opposed to this unusually long stretch of practices, they also know the physical toll a seven-game series will take on their next opponent.

“I think, at some point, the extra hockey catches up to you no matter who you are,” right wing Cal Clutterbuck said. “We keep reminding ourselves that we’ve got a formula, we’ve got a plan. As long as we can execute that plan with the intensity we did in the first round and for a better part of the season, I think that will take its toll on the opposition.”

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/islanders-capitals-hurricanes-game-7-1.30159151

1 hour ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Haven't seen this discussed yet but if it was I apologize - projected Mrazek contract anyone? 4x4?

Haven't seen anything myself and I hope not to until after the season is done. Mrazek didn't appear concerned about it last night and he is playing great. There is plenty of time to sort that out once hockey is done for the year

3 hours ago, canes2017 said:

hmmmmm..

As much as the Islanders are anxious to resume playing as opposed to this unusually long stretch of practices, they also know the physical toll a seven-game series will take on their next opponent.

“I think, at some point, the extra hockey catches up to you no matter who you are,” right wing Cal Clutterbuck said. “We keep reminding ourselves that we’ve got a formula, we’ve got a plan. As long as we can execute that plan with the intensity we did in the first round and for a better part of the season, I think that will take its toll on the opposition.”

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/islanders-capitals-hurricanes-game-7-1.30159151

That’s legit...look no further than us in 2009: two seven game series then running into the Evil Empire and getting swept 

5 hours ago, canes2017 said:

hmmmmm..

It think this cuts both ways. The double OT, and 7 games with just one day off could spell trouble, but the only pattern I've been able to see for us and most other NHL teams is that prolonged time off vs sharp, currently playing team usually favors the team playing. 

That said,  despite our fatigue, we would really benefit from getting game 1 while they're rusty. I think we will struggle if this goes 7. We are playing every other night, then finishing back to back. I really think we need game 1, because this is set up to favor the rested team in general, especially after they find their legs in game 1 and we get even more fatigued. 

I do think that in the long run, looking down the whole thing, you do need some short series. When we won the cup we dispatched NJ in 4 straight. (A NJ team that had won like 12 games in a row before that too). 

3 hours ago, remkin said:

It think this cuts both ways. The double OT, and 7 games with just one day off could spell trouble, but the only pattern I've been able to see for us and most other NHL teams is that prolonged time off vs sharp, currently playing team usually favors the team playing. 

That said,  despite our fatigue, we would really benefit from getting game 1 while they're rusty. I think we will struggle if this goes 7. We are playing every other night, then finishing back to back. I really think we need game 1, because this is set up to favor the rested team in general, especially after they find their legs in game 1 and we get even more fatigued. 

I do think that in the long run, looking down the whole thing, you do need some short series. When we won the cup we dispatched NJ in 4 straight. (A NJ team that had won like 12 games in a row before that too). 

Yeah, Game 1 is either going to be big our way because Islander's 'rusty" from a week off.. or we get smacked because only one day rest.. not sure which is more logical, but 100% sure, the DAY AFTER, all the "experts" will pick the one that worked and tell us they knew all along( cue roenick from last night calling for caps to win before game.. during game.. in OT.. then after game saying " knew the canes the better team tonight" 

Just Glad Tavares not with Islanders now- he was a "canes killer" for some reason

2 hours ago, canes2017 said:

Yeah, Game 1 is either going to be big our way because Islander's 'rusty" from a week off.. or we get smacked because only one day rest.. not sure which is more logical, but 100% sure, the DAY AFTER, all the "experts" will pick the one that worked and tell us they knew all along( cue roenick from last night calling for caps to win before game.. during game.. in OT.. then after game saying " knew the canes the better team tonight" 

Just Glad Tavares not with Islanders now- he was a "canes killer" for some reason

Speaking of Tavares, don't you just know Islander fans are loving the way his playoffs turned out compared to theirs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

Speaking of Tavares, don't you just know Islander fans are loving the way his playoffs turned out compared to theirs?

Ha! no doubt...it's like when gary roberts  left Canes because "they are not big time hockey".. and of course canes won Cup..

On 4/25/2019 at 10:47 AM, AWACSooner said:

That’s legit...look no further than us in 2009: two seven game series then running into the Evil Empire and getting swept 

I disagree, I remember 2 things about that series.  Evgeni Malkin and Cam Ward.  The pens were dominant that season.  I don't think it was that big a factor, we weren't beating them fresh as a daisy.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:47 AM, AWACSooner said:

So, we're going to the Conference Finals?

Emily Kaplan, national NHL reporter: After visiting Raleigh in the first round, I'm all-in on the Hurricanes making a long playoff run because of what that means to the community -- and sustainability for the franchise. When I was there for Games 3 and 4 in the first round, the Canes told me they were already at $2.5 million for new business with season-ticket sales for next season. A year ago at that point? They were at $400,000. The season-ticket renewal rates also were impressive, jumping from 72 percent to 91 percent, with an increase of 262 percent in new plans sold year over year. The Canes play a fun brand of hockey, and they're not afraid to show off personality, something of which this sport needs more. Leaning in on the "Bunch of Jerks" narrative was genius. As GM Don Waddell put it: "That was just another marketing tool that was gifted to us. We capitalized on it from a financial standpoint ... but the dollars don't mean as much as the value of everyone talking about it."

• Like 2

$2.5 million in new business?( 91% renewal rate).. good to see.  Think this should cement to foreseeable future remaining in raleigh IMO

Edited by canes2017

I think all of us knew that if they'd just put the product out there and make the playoffs, the tickets would start selling. And presto....