The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

8 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

In other news, not a single one of the NHL.com "experts" is even picking us to make the playoffs this season...some even have the Islanders making the playoffs...

I've seen one article where the canes end up 3 points better than last season. I'll wait.

11 hours ago, cc said:

Agree-

I liked this quote most:

We're not going to get pushed around," Brind'Amour said. "Knowing that if you want to take a cheap shot at us, we've got guys who can at least stand up. I think everyone likes that."

Back in the days we looked out for one another we also won.  I tried to find the picture of Colton Orrs face after Mike Commodore pounded on it within seconds of him leveling Matt Cullen and raising his hands into Cullens face.  

I was at that game and close by.  Cory Stillmans concern was genuine and heartfelt for Cullen as he called for help.  Mike Commodore wasn't throwing obligatory punches into Orrs face he was making  him pay for the cheap shot on his friend.  I am not saying we need fights but we do need the courage and character for people to take up for each other. 

That's been long missing in the sterile environment we had after Scotty Walker.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Gleason, a middle weight, also "took no prisoners".

I always wanted to see a Timmy G vs Steve Ott throwdown 

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Gleason, a middle weight, also "took no prisoners".

I'm sorry but Gleason wasn't anything approaching a middle weight. 

Grumpy Gleason could rock anybody's day.

He was also a warrior.

Epotime of a Carolina Hurricane

• Like 8

Middle weight IN SIZE ONLY coastal, I agree, but like you, I saw him take on all comers. Never forget his style, his fists were like jack hammers as he pummeled whoever. 

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'm sorry but Gleason wasn't anything approaching a middle weight. 

Grumpy Gleason could rock anybody's day.

He was also a warrior.

Epotime of a Carolina Hurricane

"Wally, dig around in the box and find Timmy a nose and a fish bowl, and get him back out there"

edit: No Gleason mention is valid without this one...

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

I could not resist.  I watched this live from 30 feet away.  Unbeleivable with the wholesale bench clearing brawl that day. 

I've always wondered what the real feelings are between two guys who have hated each other enough to fight becoming teammates. Sure the professional PC thing is to say we're good but was Scotty Walker and Aaron Ward really good? I kinda doubt it. If Cam said he and Leighton were I'd semi believe it.

I didn't know how much I would love this punch at the time. Wish Aaron Ward had never came back completely ruined the high regard I held him in. 

According to Cory Lavalette the lines this morning:

Foegele-Staal-Williams

Ferland-Aho-Turbo

Z-Necas-McGinn

Martinook-Wallmark-Svech

PDG & Fleury are the extras.

the emergency goalie (Alves) is out there with Mrazek. No sign of Darling.

i do not like those 2 last lines.

Edited by gocanes0506

The knock on our bluest of blue chip prospects has been refusal to participate defensively so Roddie taking a new approach to introducing a top 5 pick into the NHL with bottom minutes earning his way up would be a welcome change. Foegele get's away with it because he's earned his road to the NHL through the AHL and should know what's expected from his 2 way game.

However we all somewhat know if we want a chance at the playoffs Svech needs to replace Skin's production, that will be difficult to do if the 4th line lasts long for him. Unless Foegele is a dark horse and puts up 60.

• Like 1

Yeah it’s a waste to have Svechnikov on our 4th line.  He’s scored 5pts in 5 games.  I know they don’t want to put two rookies together, but Svechnikov is better off on Necas’ line than only playing 7mins a night.  Hope this doesn’t stick.

Again according to Cory Lavalette, Brindy stated Darling was going to be out a couple of weeks.

Ned or Booth callup?

Claim a TML Goalie on waivers?

Brindy said Ned call up was option 1 but the decision is made up stairs.

Edited by gocanes0506

10 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

McE claimed

That is the last name I have the problem with (typing/pronouncing), McE works just fine  :) 

Very good move, he was quite reliable in Toronto last year. Darling can have a rest, or be sent to CLT, or bought out.

If DW HADN’T made this move, the torches and pitchforks would’ve been coming out ;)

IMO, we got the better of the two goalies 

• Like 3

We really couldn't let a .934 goalie go through waivers even if Darling was healthy. If McE fails we just put him on waivers and he'll be claimed with little to no worry about that. If Mrazek fails, frankly another easily disposed of goalie I doubt he makes it through waivers. If Darling fails though......he'll likely wind up in Charlotte.

A tough break for Darling get's tougher he's gotta beat out 2 goalies for the job and I'd imagine his heart just sunk through the floor hearing this. I hope he responds properly. 

I find it interesting Roddy wanted Neds and the committee went another way. Really don't like knowing our coach and committee weren't on the same page already but I like the move. We're going to wind up with at least a good backup, probably....

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Darling can have a rest, or be sent to CLT, or bought out. 

Not likely- A Lot of effort spent to rehab him. A businessman aint likely to throw millions of dollars down the drain. This injury does not change the equation.