The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

3 minutes ago, cc said:

Not likely- A Lot of effort spent to rehab him

Yeah, I know - just threw all options in here, even theoretical...

But what you (or a businessman) would do if he is not up to the expectations by the end of the (second) season, especially as legend said fighting with 2 goalies for a job?

By the way, what is McE contract? 

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

. . .

Brindy said Ned call up was option 1 but the decision is made up stairs.

22 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

. . .

I find it interesting Roddy wanted Neds and the committee went another way. Really don't like knowing our coach and committee weren't on the same page already but I like the move. We're going to wind up with at least a good backup, probably....

Can someone link to the source that states Brindy wanted Ned as his primary option?  All I see is Michael Smith listing the possible options and Brindy stating that it wasn't his call. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Toronto fans seem to hold "McBackup" in high regards they are sad to him go but excited to see him get more playing time here.

McBackup's a funny name for someone you hold dearly seems kinda condescending haha.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Yeah, I know - just threw all options in here, even theoretical...

But what you (or a businessman) would do if he is not up to the expectations by the end of the (second) season, especially as legend said fighting with 2 goalies for a job?

If by end of this season he still sux that would move the needle.  He'd be toast. IMHO  In other words What Lakelivin said.

• Like 1

I can't know of course, but suspect the thinking upstairs is that keeping Ned with the Chex and getting them off to a good start is more important than having him ride the pine up here.

As for Svech on the 4th, he earned it with that three penalty performance two games back. Glad to see him given a challenge, and fully expect him to rise to meet it.

But I don't want him on the first. I'd rather have Willy on the third with Necas, and Svech on the second. Ferland is okay with Aho and TT, but I'd prefer Zyke. I have to think he's on the third mainly so he isn't gassed for PPs. 

39 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

$850,000 both in terms of cap hit and real money. Contract expires after this season.

7 minutes ago, cc said:

He'd be toast. IMHO  In other words What Lakelivin said.

Agree, makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

850,000 both in terms of cap hit and real money. Contract expires after this season

Thanks Kyrule. Likely too early to think of, but Canes may consider signing him?

23 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Thanks Kyrule. Likely too early to think of, but Canes may consider signing him?

Canes have said they'll spend money on what makes them better so if he does that I'm sure they would. However he is 35 this season's likely to put a strain on his family until he knows if he's staying here or going so I would lean towards he's a one year at most and done here. He'd likely want some commitment from us to make it worth his time and I'm not sure a 36 year old goalie's getting more then one year deals.

But your right, too early to think about it. 

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I find it interesting Roddy wanted Neds and the committee went another way.

I doubt Rod REALLY wanted Ned when he knew there were proven commodities available...probably just coachspeak.

Ned would be here if someone as competent as McE wasn't sitting there on the waiver wire. I doubt Rod is bummed about this at all.

If McE plays well, go with three goalies until two prove themselves.

My own feeling is one more year of AHL for Ned, so this is better IMO than testing Ned. Plus this is so key at the start and having solid NHL proven goaltending is better.

Any idea of how McE has done in the pre season?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cc said:

I could not resist.  I watched this live from 30 feet away.  Unbeleivable with the wholesale bench clearing brawl that day. 

And then Leights ended up backing him up TWICE...

While we’re talking fights, here’s the one to end them all:

https://youtu.be/DtZ6ytvJJ8E

How can 3 goalies be bad?  It's like we are playing hold'em with the league but we have 3 down cards instead of 2 now.

We started with 7-2 but maybe we have 7-2-5 now.  We might just hit a flop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

He'll Baker Mayfield his way up to the first line within a week more then likely.

Don’t y’all talk about my boy that way ;)

He’ll never have to buy a drink in Norman again!  

Watching Sportsnet (and other reactions), and from what I saw I thought McE outplayed Sparks. 

In the end it is an age thing, they didn’t want to lose Sparks on the waiver wire. Guys on Sportsnet said they thought McE had the inside track and it was a bit of a surprise, but they could see both sides.

They also said Tortorella hated losing him in Columbus because he was good for Bobrovsky. They also said he was “an amazing locker room guy” so here’s hoping...

19 hours ago, one-timer said:

Scotty Walker reference .. .I approve this post .... ?

And more seriously I DO like the "We are young and talented and we will not get our skills guys flattened without repurcussions (and perhaps concussions)" about time .... 

Speaking of about time ... can we have  a GDT thread please? I know its early but we have been waiting sooooooo long for real hockey ...

SP

Back in the days we looked out for one another we also won.  I tried to find the picture of Colton Orrs face after Mike Commodore pounded on it within seconds of him leveling Matt Cullen and raising his hands into Cullens face.  

I was at that game and close by.  Cory Stillmans concern was genuine and heartfelt for Cullen as he called for help.  Mike Commodore wasn't throwing obligatory punches into Orrs face he was making  him pay for the cheap shot on his friend.  I am not saying we need fights but we do need the courage and character for people to take up for each other. 

That's been long missing in the sterile environment we had after Scotty Walker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Watching Sportsnet (and other reactions), and from what I saw I thought McE outplayed Sparks. 

In the end it is an age thing, they didn’t want to lose Sparks on the waiver wire. Guys on Sportsnet said they thought McE had the inside track and it was a bit of a surprise, but they could see both sides.

They also said Tortorella hated losing him in Columbus because he was good for Bobrovsky. They also said he was “an amazing locker room guy” so here’s hoping...

Based on this, and seeing Lake's post about him having a good pre-season, this really seems like a perfectly timed gift. Ned may end up being great, but for this really young team that IMO needs a good start, I'm not sure I want to hang that on Ned. And, yes, he'd be the back up, but Mrazek seems to be either hot or cold, and if he runs cold we could be going to the guy opening the bench door sooner and more often than we think. 

48 minutes ago, remkin said:

Based on this, and seeing Lake's post about him having a good pre-season, this really seems like a perfectly timed gift. Ned may end up being great, but for this really young team that IMO needs a good start, I'm not sure I want to hang that on Ned. And, yes, he'd be the back up, but Mrazek seems to be either hot or cold, and if he runs cold we could be going to the guy opening the bench door sooner and more often than we think. 

He dropped into our  laps, and as mentioned by others, Toronto fans are bummed.

Interesting perspective from two camps.  On the Leafs forums, there is a discussion of the loss of McBackup and Pickard to waivers that goes on for more than 650 posts.  I see nothing on the Canes part.  Wonder why.  Do they know something we don't or are we hockey illiterate?

33 minutes ago, g105 said:

Interesting perspective from two camps.  On the Leafs forums, there is a discussion of the loss of McBackup and Pickard to waivers that goes on for more than 650 posts.  I see nothing on the Canes part.  Wonder why.  Do they know something we don't or are we hockey illiterate?

Size of fanbase

• Like 2

Toronto fans love McBackup, their last glimpse of Sparks in the NHL was rough and Sparks last preseason game he got lit up pretty bad. Meanwhile what's to discuss here in Carolina until some actual NHL games go down and we figure out who we really are when the real games happen.