The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

I have to say if I'm Fox I'm not signing in Raleigh if we go Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk....TVR. How does he ever break into that? We need to trade one of those top 3 RHD IMO just to entice Fox to sign here. And that guy is for real.  

You know, I keep seeing everyone ragging on Hamilton, and admittedly he has not shown a lot so far, but his reputation puts him in the upper echelon of defensemen? I can't discount that unless some of you on here think that at his relatively young age, that he's on the decline? I think that rather than petitioning for a trade because he's not INSTANTLY been successful, we need to see several more games to really decide if he's going to be successful our system, and with our coaches(those are the one in my sights right now, particularly the D coach). Besides, I thought that Dougie had one of his better games last night?

19 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

You know, I keep seeing everyone ragging on Hamilton

I'm not going to go All Faulk on Hamilton. You don't get to be a top 15 rated Dman unless you have game. We have a log jam at right D. Hamilton hasn't exactly lived up to his reputation yet. Pesce is better paired with Slavin. If you move Hamilton down to third pair it either forces TVR to the left side where he isn't as good or pairs him with Flurey who is still learning and being sheltered with TVR with his more reliable D game.

When we went out and got Hamilton I doubt there were many of us that didn't think we would move Faulk. Thier games are very similar. But Faulk threw a wrench into the plans. He came into camp leaner and in better shape. Most importantly we got a reliable and very good Dman in deHann to pair with Faulk. Although Slavin is still the best Dman on the roster, deHann and Faulk have been our most reliable D pair. deHann has allowed Faulk to play his game and it has been good.

I wonder if we paired Hamilton with deHann for a few games if it wouldn't allow Hamilton to play his game while protecting his flaws. Of course that could expose Faulks weakness. He has been paired with Slavin before with modest success but if he was paired with Flurey I suspect it would be an adventure.

It appears we need to trade one of Pesce, TVR, Faulk or Hamilton.  I think which one depends more on the return than their individual talents

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 10:21 PM, bluedevilcane said:

Troll away if it makes you happy. What part is living in the past? That I believe our neophyte owner is making hockey operations decisions? That we don’t look smart for trading a guy who has 14 goals in 20 games? The first is just my opinion based on what has been stated publicly. I’m entitled to an opinion. The second, that we don’t look smart right now is pretty self-evident. 

Perhaps I should have said it this way.   It s spilled milk and we cant change it.  Moving forward not looking back is helpful.  That is just my opinion. btw- I did not you were not entitled to your opinion so no need to push that button.  To bench mark -Last years record at 20 games 9-7-4  22 pts.  This year 9-8-3- 21pts.   It should be safe to say at least not yet that we have not taken a step back.. Neither have we taken a step forward.  Time to get one (impact forward).  The additions have equaled the subtractions if you just want to look at 20 game records.

4 minutes ago, OBXer said:

It appears we need to trade one of Pesce, TVR, Faulk or Hamilton.  I think which one depends more on the return than their individual talents 

Just yes and hopefully before December 1st.

12 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I'm not going to go All Faulk on Hamilton. You don't get to be a top 15 rated Dman unless you have game. We have a log jam at right D. Hamilton hasn't exactly lived up to his reputation yet. Pesce is better paired with Slavin. If you move Hamilton down to third pair it either forces TVR to the left side where he isn't as good or pairs him with Flurey who is still learning and being sheltered with TVR with his more reliable D game.

When we went out and got Hamilton I doubt there were many of us that didn't think we would move Faulk. Thier games are very similar. But Faulk threw a wrench into the plans. He came into camp leaner and in better shape. Most importantly we got a reliable and very good Dman in deHann to pair with Faulk. Although Slavin is still the best Dman on the roster, deHann and Faulk have been our most reliable D pair. deHann has allowed Faulk to play his game and it has been good.

I wonder if we paired Hamilton with deHann for a few games if it wouldn't allow Hamilton to play his game while protecting his flaws. Of course that could expose Faulks weakness. He has been paired with Slavin before with modest success but if he was paired with Flurey I suspect it would be an adventure.

Are we watching the same Faulk?  I am still seeing him make bad decisions and turn over the puck constantly.  Missed coverage as well but will give that a pass since that is the story of the entire team.  He is our leading dman in points is the argument?  That's great and all until you take a look and see that non of our dmen are scoring very much.

Trip said that our D coach was challenging Dougie to step it up before the game. On the one hand he responded pretty well, on the other hand, we shall see. The only thing I'd throw out there on his reputation as a top D man, this is almost always based on offense and Hamilton has netted a lot of goals. But dicscerning a D man's D, is much more difficult, especially if we throw plus minus out. You really need to watch a guy night in and night out to know that and few national media types can really do that, especially focusing on a D man. 

I agree that a player needs a period to adjust to a new team, so I'm fine with that, but to my eye Faulk is outplaying Hamilton all over the ice so far this season, which is not to say Faulk is killing it, and trust me, my bias is the other way, but that's not what I'm seeing so far. Just so happens the plus-minus agrees. Of the two right now Faulk has been better. 

Hamilton may very well end up being better, even much better, over time. I'd still trade Faulk first if someone wanted him, but so far this year, I give the nod to Faulk.

• Like 2

OBXer, you make a good point, and I think, or I hope, that tacitly implied in my thought, as I've maintained in several thoughts on here, that perhaps this player's overall worth is suffering because of what you imply, that he's another "square peg in a round hole". And while I think it would be a somewhat crappy thing to do, trade for him then trade him, I would have to think that we've got to do what's best for the team, and if that gets us Nylander or someone of his ilk, than I'm for it(even though I just purchased a #19 jersey).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Are we watching the same Faulk?

We are. What your missing is I said best pair. Faulks game has been  better than Hamilton thus far this year.  Those who dwell on his mistakes rather than his assets will never be convinced and I'm tired of trying to convince anyone. That isn't under selling Hamilton, he is a quality Dman in the same mold as Faulk. I wondered if partnered with deHann he may be able to find the game we thought he would bring.

I also suspect that it isn't any longer trade Faulk that will drive the deal but the return for any of our right shot Dmen.

21 hours ago, Kyrule said:

...and hopefully so is Darling.

Need to drag those behind a truck for a week to loosen em up. Looks so stiff rebounds should clear center ice.

Yesterdays Devils game. 30 seconds of game on followed by zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. We were lucky they didn't find their game. From my point of view, better passing would have done us in. And as far as Hamilton, still waiting. Must have a great press agent.

8 hours ago, OBXer said:

Those who dwell on his mistakes rather than his assets will never be convinced and I'm tired of trying to convince anyone.

And those who accuse others of "dwelling" on his cellar-dwelling performance of the past three years, will (apparently) continue to ignore those same posters' outright praise of how he has turned it around this year, along with their statements of hope that he'll continue playing like he should have been all along, at $5 million a year.

4 minutes ago, winger52 said:

Yesterdays Devils game. 30 seconds of game on followed by zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. We were lucky they didn't find their game. From my point of view, better passing would have done us in. And as far as Hamilton, still waiting. Must have a great press agent.

They did find their game. If Darling had been in the crease, they'd have won.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

They did find their game. If Darling had been in the crease, they'd have won.

I felt we were fairly physical with NJ last night. I think that also kept them just enough off their offensive game such that it prevented them from scoring the equalizer. Surely many would agree that the more physical we are, our odds of winning go up noticeably.  You can’t always sustain that type of bruising physicality over long stretches but you can apply it at the right times. That should be ingrained into our mentality. Nothing is more shameful than a soft response when the opponent is smashing your players.

• Like 2

Our goalies are very much pick your poison and the team will need to adjust for each goalie.

Mac's a great heads up goalie, once he starts moving though he's beatable and if it's a quick one time I don't think you're getting the save.

Mrazek's a decent heads up goalie, once he starts moving he's ok and on the one timer I think you've got a decent shot at a save.

Darling is a bad heads up goalie. but one he's moving somehow get's his huge body in the way and for whatever reason the more difficult the shot the better he plays.

I think if the team committed more to their defense they can put McE or Mrazek on a pedestal. But I don't think that's Roddy's game, but I don't see a top 5 elite goalie falling in our laps to continue being this willy nilly pinching on D.

What the team can't accommodate for, is giving Darling a perfect look at a respectable distance and it still goes in. No one wants to play for that guy and at least one half of the roster is likely still sour Darling stole Cam's job without ever earning it. He's gotta go, but it's not my money.

49 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

I felt we were fairly physical with NJ last night. I think that also kept them just enough off their offensive game such that it prevented them from scoring the equalizer. Surely many would agree that the more physical we are, our odds of winning go up noticeably.  You can’t always sustain that type of bruising physicality over long stretches but you can apply it at the right times. That should be ingrained into our mentality. Nothing is more shameful than a soft response when the opponent is smashing your players.

It's been the hardest thing for me to accept since becoming a Caniac (especially since I was weaned on the Broad St. Bullies). They were physical early in my fandom and to see them become the Candy Canes has been ridiculous. 

53 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

...to see them become the Candy Canes has been ridiculous. 

Ain’t that the truth! I support this team through-and-through and like many here, we are hard in our criticisms (much of deserved) because we care. Sometimes you have to call it like it is. We’re a soft team that, I believe, Rod is trying to make tougher.  That’s why I comment in delight when I see us being the bully. When my Original 6 friends and family ask if I’m still pulling for the “Candy Canes” I want to reach out and touch them 🥊 but haven’t been able to argue with the term when many times I see our guys shy away from a scrum or refuse to work the corners along the boards for pucks. Most of us who grew up in environments where weakness and soft play draws ire and disdain don’t like seein our teams be that way...

I want to see them rough the Leafs up Wednesday.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

By the way, Sabres/Pens just went final: Eichel unassisted at :45 of OT for the win, 5-4. Skinner with a primary assist on an earlier goal for his 21st point in 20 games. 

Nobody dislikes the slugs more than I do but you have to give them

some credit. They are looking good right now.

2 hours ago, winger52 said:

It's his contract year, let's see if he continues this pace or next year reverts to the lazy play attitude.  

All the more reason the Canes should have held onto him a little longer.  To Hades with next year - they could be reaping serious dividends this year while he works his way up to his big payday.

14 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Gotta say that Hall didnt have many good looks which is a good thing.

• Like 1

Bob McKenzie said the Senators are talking 8.5-9 million per for Duchene to stay in Ottawa as their 1C.

If Skinner and Duchene, with their 60 points, are geting 8.5-9 million we are looking at a strong possibility at a lockout.  Owners of non Toronto, Chicago, etc type markets cant pay these prices.