The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

It could be really fascinating to see what Rask can bring. Just remembering back in 2015 when he came out of the box and put up 9G and 22 points in the first 30 games of that year (25Goal, 60 point pace). Even after that Rask was a defensively responsible third line center.

I thought he became defense first to the point that hurt his offense, and some of that could be that he's not a fast skater. 

But I will give Rask this. He has a decent shot, and put up 21 goals one year. We need guys to put the puck in the net. 

Expectations are not super high, but hopes for a 20 goal pace are.

It was a salary dump plain and simple.  This team isn't going to spend the money.  So it will be stuck in a constant state of mediocrity.  Only hope is the team lands a generational talent via the draft which it did not do this off season sadly.

Edited by bluedevil58

Recap of interview:

Unsure of when Rask will play, has been cleared.  Probably start as 4C and get him more minutes as we go.

Darling is "banged-up." Gave him an extra day to rest.  Might go down to 2 goalies when we have healthy goalies

Pesce didnt finish practice and isnt ready to go

Still kicking around the idea of putting Aho on the wing for scoring purposes.  "Have to figure out what makes more sense for our group."

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Awesome we need a 3C bad.  Hopefully Rask is skating strong and has the motivation to do well.  

I'm no longer so sure. I like Lucas more every game, and could see Rask getting 4C minutes and, especially given his strong D, PK (along with PP) time. He's gotta be better on the PP than Jordan Staal has been.

Edited by top-shelf-1

49 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

It was a salary dump plain and simple.  This team isn't going to spend the money.  So it will be stuck in a constant state of mediocrity.  Only hope is the team lands a generational talent via the draft which it did not do this off season sadly.

Join us again tomorrow, boys and girls, for Eeyore's Sad Tail.

3 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm no longer so sure. I like Lucas more every game, and could see Rask getting 4C minutes and, especially given his strong D, PK (along with PP) time. He's gotta be better on the PP than Jordan Staal has been.

I like Wallmark too.  I like him more as an able to score 4C than "a we need you to score" 2C/3C.  We need a 2nd scoring center, hopefully rask is ready to take that role again.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I like Wallmark too.  I like him more as an able to score 4C than "a we need you to score" 2C/3C.  We need a 2nd scoring center, hopefully rask is ready to take that role again.  

I agree. But I will add that if Svech can start scoring consistently, that'll open things up for Lucas, and I'm really wondering if Rod wants to break up that line's chemistry, particularly with a guy coming off a long-term injury. 4C might be the best place for Victor, at least until he gets back to game speed.

34 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I agree. But I will add that if Svech can start scoring consistently, that'll open things up for Lucas, and I'm really wondering if Rod wants to break up that line's chemistry, particularly with a guy coming off a long-term injury. 4C might be the best place for Victor, at least until he gets back to game speed.

Svech needs a linemate / center that moves to open ice & can can finish.  Not sure if that is rask.  In my intent watching of him, he creates just as many chances as he does shooting scorng chances.  He makes passes to teammates in close / in open ice in front of the net.  Guys are able to finish / arent there.  Im not saying this happens 5-10 times a game but it does happen enough to be noteworthy.  Z would be a good partner for him.

I hope going forward we either put the young scoring fellows with Staal again, Svech and Necas/Zykov.  Tell Staal to be the old guy that cleans up after the young guys and wins the faceoffs (much like Aho and Turbo) with Rask being the primary shutdown guy or vice versa.    Continue to protect Aho with a ton of O zone starts at center and let Rask & Staal take the d / neutral zone ones.  

Ferland-Aho-Turbo

Z/Necas-Staal-Svech

McGinn-Rask-Foegele

Martinook-Wallmark-Williams

PDG

or flip flop Rask

Although I prefer these two lineups with the bootom 2 pairings be the possession lineups.  Staal can sub into take big faceoffs when needed.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't believe three finger Rask is going to be our savior. Our owner and GM must be busy burning candles and praying.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I I understand the need to sometimes gild the lily

We've got a lily to start with that we can guild?

Nah.  We're starting with a porcine creature, and lipstick is the guilding of choice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Darling is "banged-up." 

If by "banged-up" they mean "having the mental fortitude of a piece of tissue paper," then absolutely.

• Like 1

To me, Brindy figures our success runs through Jordan Staal, Justin Faulk [or Slavin], and Justin Williams and they need to be on the ice in every situation.  I think this team will continue to flounder under that approach. The HC is predictable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

If by "banged-up" they mean "having the mental fortitude of a piece of tissue paper," then absolutely.

I'm over this experiment.   Another goalie failure.  At some point, one needs to take a look in the mirror and realize that if this is a re-occurring theme then it's time to go for a proven starter or make changes to the organization and move on with a proven STARTER.

I am optimistic about Mzarek.  He is our only hope now.

Edited by bluedevil58

Hmmm the above, does cause one to stop and ponder. Seems the older you get, you just want to see your team score some goals and be left alone.  Happy Thanksgiving to you all...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Hmmm the above, does cause one to stop and ponder. Seems the older you get, you just want to see your team score some goals and be left alone.  Happy Thanksgiving to you all...

To you as well, my fellow Pamlicountian, and to all here. You guys and gals are my peeps, and even when things get a little chippy, this place is my favorite stop in the cyberworld. Peace and blessings.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Svech needs more talent on his line.  TVR’s goal was all his work, yet no point.  He made a couple of good plays behind the net that wasn’t finished.

Wouldn't mind seeing a line of Svech / Rask / Necas given a shot...

I have to agree, it's time to upgrade Svech's linemates. Brind'Amour did point out that Svech is still not there on the D side, and that is probably the thing keeping him on his current line, but he's on the edge of a breakout, let's nudge him over that line.