The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Svech needs more talent on his line.  TVR’s goal was all his work, yet no point.  He made a couple of good plays behind the net that wasn’t finished.

I'd like to see him grow by playing with Staal and Williams.

34 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

I'd like to see him grow by playing with Staal and Williams.

That does seem like a logical progression to me too. He could up the production of those two guys too, making this a more prototypical second line in terms of production.

So are we in the playoffs on T day? Not quite, but given the slide we experienced recently, things could be a lot worse.

If we look at percentage of available points won, we are the #16 team in the NHL. So, on that basis, we are in theory a "playoff team". Unfortunately, we are #10 in the East, so no. 

The ultimate answer IMO is based on needed wins and final points. Typically from 92-95 points. We are on a 90 point pace, so, no. But we are in the picture right on the cut line. 

In terms of the actual standings, we're a clean 2 points out of 3rd in the Metro with no beans in play, and effectively tied with the Islanders for this position. We are essentially in the same position in the Wild Card when a bean is thrown in.

We just went 4-1-1 (and 9 of 12 points) over our last 6. If we win our next game we move to a 93 point pace and if we sweep the weekend a 96 point pace.

So we are very much still in this. It will require us to elevate our game a bit, but it is there.

8 hours ago, remkin said:

I have to agree, it's time to upgrade Svech's linemates. Brind'Amour did point out that Svech is still not there on the D side, and that is probably the thing keeping him on his current line, but he's on the edge of a breakout, let's nudge him over that line.

I don't think it happens until either his D improves or the dumb penalties stop. He's struggled there too.

10 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Svech needs more talent on his line.  TVR’s goal was all his work, yet no point.  He made a couple of good plays behind the net that wasn’t finished.

It got him a +1 and he finished the night +2 with a goal. Not too shabby.

32 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't think it happens until either his D improves or the dumb penalties stop. He's struggled there too.

He does like his time-out time.

45 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

He does like his time-out time.

I really don't mind most penalties, they do happen. But stick penalties are just lazy, nearly every time. Yeah, sometimes a guy steps on your stick blade instead of over it and you get 2 for tripping. But from cross-checking to high-sticking and most tripping calls, using/losing control of your stick is laziness, and at his age and size, Svech has no excuse for laziness (not that it's okay at any age).

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

He was the best player on the ice last night, including the Leafs.  If he keeps that up for a few games, he'll be moving up.

10 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

He was the best player on the ice last night, including the Leafs.  If he keeps that up for a few games, he'll be moving up.

I'd love to see it, because he's a dynamic player who doesn't let anybody stop him from taking it to the house. I just worry that Rod is on his "play more defense" high horse with the kid, when bad penalties will hurt you a lot more. If Svech gets more minutes, he's gonna need to get less lazy with his stick in his own end.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I just worry that Rod is on his "play more defense" high horse with the kid, 

Sounds familiar with someone else we once had.

Svechnikov isn't ready for the top line yet. His game is improving and noticeable but disrupting our top 3 I don't think is wise. You could move him up to the Staal line but J and mates are used more of a shut down, heavy lifting line. I'm not sure I would want to force Svech to play that heavy game at the risk of taking the stick out of his hand. His biggest asset is his shot and power moves to the net. He is gaining confidence and I don't want to see us alter his game. 

We need another reliable scoring line. Call it 3rd or call it 2nd line. It makes little difference. I read where the original plan was to use Necas on Rasks wing. With Rask out he was forced to the center and eventually to Charlotte. So maybe as Rask's minutes increase we should consider bringing Necas back up and put Rask between Necas and Svechnikov. A gamble for sure but maybe worth the risk.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

Svechnikov isn't ready for the top line yet. His game is improving and noticeable but disrupting our top 3 I don't think is wise. You could move him up to the Staal line but J and mates are used more of a shut down, heavy lifting line. I'm not sure I would want to force Svech to play that heavy game at the risk of taking the stick out of his hand. His biggest asset is his shot and power moves to the net. He is gaining confidence and I don't want to see us alter his game. 

We need another reliable scoring line. Call it 3rd or call it 2nd line. It makes little difference. I read where the original plan was to use Necas on Rasks wing. With Rask out he was forced to the center and eventually to Charlotte. So maybe as Rask's minutes increase we should consider bringing Necas back up and put Rask between Necas and Svechnikov. A gamble for sure but maybe worth the risk.

That's the original line I suggested that started this conversation.

• Like 1

I like Svech where he is right now at this point of his development; don't want to rush him and he lose confidence. There is definitely good chemistry with him, Wally and Marty.

We have two solid lines with good chemistry. Need to fix Staal's line, while the 4th is a work in progress.

48 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

I like Svech where he is right now at this point of his development; don't want to rush him and he lose confidence. There is definitely good chemistry with him, Wally and Marty.

I have to admit, last night was further evidence that this line can work. Martinook is close enough to a legit third liner and really seems to be helping Svech out there physically and mentally, and Wallmark, well Wallmark to me is a great example of a guy who dominated the AHL and has NHL potential, getting some time to figure it out (cough Zykov, cough). He has been really close on a couple of shots going in, but is starting to pile up assists with regularity. 

When I look at this team medium term as the season unfolds, I see a race between young players finding their NHL games and young players hitting the wall. Wallmark is of the seasoned newbies variety who came up the long way and now I think just needed NHL games to get his playmaking and scoring confidence. Even as Svech is coming on, so is Wallmark. 

15 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Wow Mick McGeough died,

He was a memorable referee. Condolences to his family