The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

23 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Size of fanbase

And they consider us hockey illiterate ? 

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Hmmm... have never seen "Chicago" spelled that way before!

So now Darling has an injury we complained about with Ward....

Funny how "THINGS" are sooo coincidental. Chicago signs Cam for a 1yr deal. Darling may end up back with Chicago if he falls flat on his face again.:rofl:

Not implying anything, just an observation......

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

https://www.tsn.ca/welcome-to-the-show-rookies-to-know-for-the-new-nhl-season-1.1184671

TSN lists 40 rookies to watch this year. Canes comprise 10% of the list.

Svech #4

Necas #9

Zykov #13

Foegele #37

yet they start us at #27 in power rankings to start the year.  The freaking Rangers, Islanders, and Canadiens are above us. Only the Senators, Blackhawks, Red Wings, and Canucks below us. :blink:  Im looking for another 05-06 type surprise. The results would be great too. 

Just pathetic ratings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Not tired enough, apparently.

Though that will be a glorious day for the rest of us.

I for one am energized and ready to get started. A little thing like a goalie with a temporary issue don't bother me.  Heck- some have written him off anyway so his injury should not make a difference to them.  Remember 05/06 when Gerber got hurt ans never got his job back.  That turned out ok.

15 minutes ago, cc said:

I for one am energized and ready to get started. A little thing like a goalie with a temporary issue don't bother me.  Heck- some have written him off anyway so his injury should not make a difference to them.  Remember 05/06 when Gerber got hurt ans never got his job back.  That turned out ok.

No.  He was sick.   He also bailed us out in Buffalo with a shut out when Ward was faltering during the ECF.  Gerber was the goalie that got us home ice advantage. 

11 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

https://www.tsn.ca/welcome-to-the-show-rookies-to-know-for-the-new-nhl-season-1.1184671

TSN lists 40 rookies to watch this year. Canes comprise 10% of the list.

Svech #4

Necas #9

Zykov #13

Foegele #37

Nice. You want something to be more of an Ulga Upper about, here it is. When was the last time we'd have this many on that list? I'm Thinking, "never" would be the answer. There is a legit question as to how much these guys can bring as rookies (I think they will all bring it this year), but long term I suspect all of them deliver what is expected. 

For those that follow prospects a bit, the rest of the names on that list are seriously high end prospects. Lists like this include guys from up to 4 complete drafts. Top 40 should have each team putting 1.3 guys on that list, but then again that's anywhere on the list. Our top 3 are in the top 1/3 of the list. Further, while Foegele is at the bottom, he is so under the radar that I'm really surprised how much national press is in on him, and just making the list is surprising (I think he'll end up higher if this list is re ranked a few years from now), and Zykov all the way up to #13 is really surprising to me (not that he isn't really that good, but that he got that much respect from a national writer).

Then, even if every one of those guys ends up on the team for good, we have some really nice prospects still growing in various leagues. High upside guys like: Bean, Kuokannen, McKeown, maybe Fox and yes, Gauthier is still on that list IMO. And a gaggle of guys from which someone could easily break out: Cotton, Drury, Geekie, Pu, Roy, Saarela, Luostarinen, and Matteos to name a few. 

Whatever detractions might fall on him, Francis did fill the cupboard. 

• Like 3

Reading over the interview with TD on the N&O site, goalie was the big focus for change of this team. TD was asked about a move that didn’t happen. TD gave your typical verbiage of there were moves out there but then went into some explanation about Darling’s effort.  Nothing mentioned about adding to the offense.

TD was asked about a Aho deal. With the vagueness of his answers it sounds like it isn’t close at this point. As much as they all talk, if TD doesn’t know where it is then it mustn’t be very far along.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

No.  He was sick.   He also bailed us out in Buffalo with a shut out when Ward was faltering during the ECF.  Gerber was the goalie that got us home ice advantage. 

Please check your memory it appears to be selective.Yes-he was the regular season workhorse. Yes- Gerber performed in a backup role in the playoffs and did well . FOR 1 GAME.  He punted in the next game with 3 goals on 11 shots and Wardo came in a saved his(and our) bacon stopping all 15 shots he faced. 

I happened to get the norovirus that Gerber got at the same time during the playoffs.  It was brutal.  I'm not surprised he lost over 10 lbs.  I also think it was fortunate, because that lightning in a bottle that came with Cam was perfectly timed.

In any case, let's hope McE has some lightning left to let out of the bottle.

• Like 2

Some pretty good stuff over at WralSportsFan in the Caniac AskAway videos.

Conversation was very noncommittal from Roddie about Aho at center. He was very unsure how it was going to go and how long they stick with it.  Roddie said his transfer from LW to C in STL led to his trade because it didn't go well.  So he understands what the transfer does for a player.  TD was unsure if the contract negotiations will continue once the season starts.

Skinner- DW never engaged with Skinner in contract negotiations.  Just felt it was a time to make a change.  DW never spent that much time on one player to trade them.

Roster players: If Svech isn't a top 12 forward come tomorrow he wont start, dudes have to earn it no matter where they were drafted or make a year. Roddie said Lindy and Hanifin were probably rushed into the league but they were the best option at the time.  They were clearly better than any option than they had at the time.

Edited by gocanes0506

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Some pretty good stuff over at WralSportsFan about Caniac AskAway videos.

Conversation was very noncommittal from Roddie about Aho at center. He was very unsure how it was going to go and how long they stick with it.  Roddie said his transfer from LW to C in STL led to his trade because he didn't do well.  So he understands what the transfer does for a player.  TD was unsure if the contract negotiations will continue once the season starts.

Skinner- DW never engaged with Skinner in contract negotiations.  Just felt it was a time to make a change.  DW never spent that much time on one player to trade them.

It will be interesting on Aho at center mainly because there doesn't seem to be an obvious better alternative. But I get the feeling that Brind'Amour is not going to be hemmed in by that. He'll try something else if it doesn't work. 

Just more evidence that Skinner had become part of the culture problem. Sure he seemed to be improving a bit in prior years on that stuff, but it sure seems evident that his slide last year moved into irreconcilable territory at some point, and he had about as much chance starting the year here as Peters. 

As we think about where the scoring is going to come from, and pay attention to the 4 rookies that will need to bring it, one guy and one area that more points could come from is Lucas Wallmark and the 4th line. 

While it is true that producing in the NHL is harder than the AHL, it is also true that we are not talking about Wallmark becoming John Tavares. In his case, we just need a guy who can back check while putting up a few more points than our historically anemic 4C's. 

I've been using the translation factors a bit, for the AHL the projected conversion of AHL productivity to NHL is .47. Wallmark put up 55 points in 45 games in the AHL last year, or 1.17 PPG. This would predict .55 ppg in the NHL or about a 40-45 point season. This is not chopped liver. Last year that was around #144 for forwards, or the likes of Elias Lindholm, Micheal Ferland, Max Domi, Tyler Toffoli, etc. It is, in fact, solid 2nd line forward, or very high end 3rd line center.

Wallmark has not yet translated to the NHL on offense. He had one point in 11 games last year, and 3 points in his 19 games. So there is no proof he can make the jump. But man is the door open for him. Has there ever been a better time to be a somewhat experienced center on this team? Not only do we not have a clear 1C, and not only did we, for the first time in modern memory not go with a journeyman 4C, but Rask sliced and diced his hand opening another slot. 

Wallmark should have at least 3C potential based on his AHL production, possibly even more. It's time to see it. And if we do, it will not be hard for him to beat Marcus Kruger's 1 goal in 48 games. So there's some more goals hopefully.

Just finishing the 4th line thought. I am pretty sure some combination of PDG, McGinn, Foegele, and say Martinook should be able to beat our 4th line wingers Joorish and Nordstrom's 5 goals in 106 games too.*

*I know that doesn't add up to a full season on both wings, but the projection of those guys ppg's is what I'm referring too. More goals is what I'm saying.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

the question for me are we doing the same thing with Necas as Roddie believed we did with Lindy & Hanifin?

Thank you. 

And the answer is obvious. We are.

Roddy's "concern" about Aho at C doesn't line up with his (apparent) total lack of concern about Necas there, despite never playing on this size ice professionally. Which is why (IMO) his "concern" is a load of crap.

Just because Roddy couldn't handle the switch (1) doesn't mean Aho can't (project much, Brindy??), and (2) Aho is a natural center anyway, who has played it - with incredible success - at every other level. Adapting to wing could well be what caused his slow starts in each of his first two years.

Aho will get out of the gate like gangbusters this year because he is finally playing where he is supposed to, wants to, and is most comfortable. Necas is the one to worry about. 

• Like 1

Roddy was a natural center too but was moved to LW to break into the league.  Roddie said the transition from wing to center is tough and we would see how Aho takes the transition.

Although I am not a huge fan of Adam Gold or hold his word as his name suggests, he mentioned Necas more equipped to handle next season than Svech.  Svech never played with men before and believe he wouldn't play 82 games. 

I think we need to overpay to get another center in case Aho's transition is tough.  Confidence is huge for this team with the amount of youngsters and goaltending.  We need to be successful early to be successful this season.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2018 at 2:22 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

If we relegate Zyke to one of the "13th" guys, we're totally handcuffing our PP. Given how bad it's been for lo these many years, and Zyke's proven ability to score on the PP, I'll be stunned (and more than a little incredulous) if he isn't in the lineup every night, somewhere in the top nine, for at least the first 20 games. He's certainly earned it.

Zyke is the one guy that we know will be at the net causing traffic. How do we sit a guy who we have been looking for 4 years?

• Like 2

On 10/2/2018 at 2:37 PM, remkin said:

Ned would be here if someone as competent as McE wasn't sitting there on the waiver wire. I doubt Rod is bummed about this at all.

If McE plays well, go with three goalies until two prove themselves.

My own feeling is one more year of AHL for Ned, so this is better IMO than testing Ned. Plus this is so key at the start and having solid NHL proven goaltending is better.

Any idea of how McE has done in the pre season?

I like having 3 goalies as an option. Hopefully one of them can claim a NO1 spot although at 36 not sure how much gas is in the tank for McE.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, remkin said:

Based on this, and seeing Lake's post about him having a good pre-season, this really seems like a perfectly timed gift. Ned may end up being great, but for this really young team that IMO needs a good start, I'm not sure I want to hang that on Ned. And, yes, he'd be the back up, but Mrazek seems to be either hot or cold, and if he runs cold we could be going to the guy opening the bench door sooner and more often than we think. 

But somehow I feel better with a Mrazek and McE combo.

• Like 2

Tom Wilson suspended for 20 games. Maybe the league is getting serious about dirty hits. Maybe we shouldn’t go after Kadri. No, we probably still should.