The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

20182019-20369-5v5.png

20182019-20352-5v5.png

The Islanders and Canadiens really figured out how to minimize our shots in front of the net in the last two games.  Luckily we won of them.  Hopefully there isnt a trend for the rest of the league to follow.  I have gone back through November and every other shot chart has a dark spot in front of the net for us.  Our other dark spot typically is the Right point.   

If I am guessing, NYIs wanted to test Darling in close (reaction time) and on his glove side (the point shot)

Canadiens wanted to test McE's blocker side

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

20182019-20369-5v5.png

20182019-20352-5v5.png

The Islanders and Canadiens really figured out how to minimize our shots in front of the net in the last two games.  Luckily we won of them.  Hopefully there isnt a trend for the rest of the league to follow.  I have gone back through November and every other shot chart has a dark spot in front of the net for us.  Our other dark spot typically is the Right point.   

If I am guessing, NYIs wanted to test Darling in close (reaction time) and on his glove side (the point shot)

Canadiens wanted to test McE's blocker side

Looks like multiple storms in the tropics.Combine all of them and it's a huge Hurricane.

• Like 1

I know we all want to see McE every game from here out but Rod's gonna have to take into the account his goalie's age I think. Twice over McE's last 2 games he's looked pained to get up, I think the next piece in the puzzle is getting Mrazek up to acceptable standards so McE can be at peak efficiency all year. 

So what's that rotation look like? Every back to back isn't going to cut it, I'm thinking Mrazek needs to draw in every 3-5 games regardless of situation.

If we get desperate and ride him like a rented mule I think we're gonna pay for it.

• Like 5

Skinner discussion moved to its own thread to prevent rehashing of ideas every couple of weeks as it is mixed it with hockey talk here.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I know we all want to see McE every game from here out but Rod's gonna have to take into the account his goalie's age I think. Twice over McE's last 2 games he's looked pained to get up, I think the next piece in the puzzle is getting Mrazek up to acceptable standards so McE can be at peak efficiency all year. 

So what's that rotation look like? Every back to back isn't going to cut it, I'm thinking Mrazek needs to draw in every 3-5 games regardless of situation.

If we get desperate and ride him like a rented mule I think we're gonna pay for it.

A very fair assessment. We haven't seen Mrazek since the injury. He needs a start.

27 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Skinner discussion moved to its own thread to prevent rehashing of ideas every couple of weeks as it is mixed it with hockey talk here.

"Yesterday, I couldn't spell moderator. Today, I is one."

40 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

"Yesterday, I couldn't spell moderator. Today, I is one."

I wasnt the originator of the idea.  Moderator or starting the thread.  So HA!  wxray and realm both asked for the thread before I made it.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I wasnt the originator of the idea.  Moderator or starting the thread.  So HA!  wxray and realm both asked for the thread before I made it.  

I don't care that the thread as "made." (Or "posted," to use the technical term--HA! back...), I care that I'm credited as author. Credit X or Drak.

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't that the thread as "made." (Or "posted," to use the technical term--HA! back...) I care that I'm credited as author. Credit X or Drak.

Fixed, done, over   CHILL

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

See gocanes, it can be done. 

Thanks OBX!

gocanes is the one who fixed it. I only added Skinner talk. Everything he did was with the best intentions and trying to accommodate member requests. The board has some anomalies and with each update the parameters can change. Thanks gocanes for your diligence in resolving the problem.

Now please :on_topic: we have a playoff spot to defend and secure

• Like 2

On 11/27/2018 at 1:21 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Im not arguing with sending him through waivers but, how do we shake out Ned, Booth, and Helvig in the two minors system?

I feel like Booth should play more but against tougher competition. 

Helvig and Ned need to play as much as possible too.

Just cause you waive him doesn't mean you send him down if he makes it thru waivers...see PDG. Just about getting rid of that contract, or sending a message for now.

43 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

Just cause you waive him doesn't mean you send him down if he makes it thru waivers...see PDG. Just about getting rid of that contract, or sending a message for now.

True, forgot about that being an option.

5 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

20182019-20369-5v5.png

20182019-20352-5v5.png

Man sometimes a picture is worth a lot. Look a the hot spots in front of our net as well as the cold in front of theirs. Rod should blow this up, enhance it, and make the entire team stare at it in silence for 5 minutes. Then just drop the mike and walk out of the room.

• Like 3

From Jayson Shaya's 10 thoughts (Checker's Website):

6. Since Vellucci moved Martin Necas to the right wing he's scored four goals in five games, including two game winners. Necas seems liberated on the wing with the ability to use his speed and shot more effectively. Vellucci says a player is best suited to stay in the lineup when he can play all three forward positions.

Wing is Necas' quickest path back to the NHL IMO.

4. After going a few weeks without putting up points with the Hurricanes, Warren Foegele found himself back on the top line with Jordan Staal and captain Justin Williams. Foegele took the puck to the net, created havoc on the forecheck and even baited goaltender Carey Price into checking him (how that wasn't a penalty call, I'm not sure). But, it looked more like the Foegele we saw in training camp and the early part of the season. If he continues to move in that direction, he will find himself generating offense again soon. 

I so hope this is true. He did look better and in a bad team game, and a goal just might help his confidence. This kid has the goods IMO, but he needs to create some offense or he becomes the next PDG. I don't think that will happen, but some points right about now would be very good.

10. .....Checkers assistant coach Ryan Warsofsky was very bullish on Bean early this season even when things weren't going as well as many hoped. Warsofksy, who has received glowing praise by Vellucci, told me weeks ago he believed Jake would round into form as an NHL defenseman in time. 

Aside from his recent call up, it is easy to forget about Bean with all the D we have and Fox out there. But this was the #13 overall pick and a guy we skipped much needed forwards to get. He is close to where Fleury was on his development arc. Despite his top third of first round status, he could be a sort of hidden gem.

17 minutes ago, remkin said:

From Jayson Shaya's 10 thoughts (Checker's Website):

6. Since Vellucci moved Martin Necas to the right wing he's scored four goals in five games, including two game winners. Necas seems liberated on the wing with the ability to use his speed and shot more effectively. Vellucci says a player is best suited to stay in the lineup when he can play all three forward positions.

4. After going a few weeks without putting up points with the Hurricanes, Warren Foegele found himself back on the top line with Jordan Staal and captain Justin Williams. Foegele took the puck to the net, created havoc on the forecheck and even baited goaltender Carey Price into checking him (how that wasn't a penalty call, I'm not sure). But, it looked more like the Foegele we saw in training camp and the early part of the season. If he continues to move in that direction, he will find himself generating offense again soon. 

10. .....Checkers assistant coach Ryan Warsofsky was very bullish on Bean early this season even when things weren't going as well as many hoped. Warsofksy, who has received glowing praise by Vellucci, told me weeks ago he believed Jake would round into form as an NHL defenseman in time. 

Necas has done well at wing over the last couple of games.  I would really hope that we make a decision soon on how to carry the roster going forward. meaning is Rask or Staal the shutdown line?  If we want Rask to play more of the possession line that can score some. If so, lets make another TSA line with Necas-Staal-Svech line to create more offense.  Staal can be the foundation of the line and allow the two young fellows drive the offense.  Much like last season with Aho and Turbo.  

Something like

FAT

Necas-Staal-Svech

Martinook-Rask-Foegele

McGinn-Wallmark-Williams

It was hard to evaluate Bean over the 8 minutes he got in Montreal, especially with 1 shift in the third.  He didnt look lost and could become a solid O defender.  It will be interesting to see how we handle the defense over the next 3 seasons.  We have Fox absolutely tearing it up in college, Bean, Faulk, and Dougie all with their puck moving abilities.  The defensive sound guys of de Haan, Slavin (although he can provide plenty of offense), Fluery, Pesce, and TVR.  That is a crazy mix.  I understand that Martin in Michigan is no one to look past as an option in a couple of seasons.  Who goes, who stays, and who plays?