The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Take it for what you will.  No Darling at practice today.  Neither is Ferland so, it could mean nothing.

Pesce and Fleury are skating today.  Fleury in yellow.

edit* it was news.  Darling on waivers.  Coverage continues in the players move thread.

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Take it for what you will.  No Darling at practice today.  Neither is Ferland so, it could mean nothing.

Pesce and Fleury are skating today.  Fleury in yellow.

edit* it was news.  Darling on waivers.  Coverage continues in the players move thread.

HOLY Guacamole!!! Needed to be done, but didn't think the Canes had the stones to do it. Wow!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

HOLY Guacamole!!! Needed to be done, but didn't think the Canes had the stones to do it. Wow!

For fear of Darling's crazy sister?  Just noticed she has removed her twitter handle.  Probably couldn't handle her bro no longer being an NHL goalie.

18 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

For fear of Darling's crazy sister?  Just noticed she has removed her twitter handle.  Probably couldn't handle her bro no longer being an NHL goalie.

Scott Darling get's waived, your first move? Check his sisters Twitter, seriously?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Scott Darling get's waived, your first move? Check his sisters Twitter, seriously?

Technically, my first move was a jump up and down with excitement knowing full well that Darling's time here is done.

Glad to see this move. Hopefully Darling will get picked up and lands on his feet somewhere, perhaps Calgary?

A little surprised Zykov was also put on waivers.

Just to keep our feet on the ground while we're reaching for the stars, if he isn't claimed (and he probably won't be), guess what happens first time Mac or Mrazek are injured?

Goalie forums are saying Pickard was waived by Philly and already claimed by Arizona speculating they waived him to make room for Darling. We'll see if that holds water, hefty contract to pick up while GMless. 

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Goalie forums are saying Pickard was waived by Philly and already claimed by Arizona speculating they waived him to make room for Darling. We'll see if that holds water, hefty contract to pick up while GMless. 

If Philly picks him up, i'm calling this now - RF is getting the GM position after all.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hopper915 said:

Glad to see this move. Hopefully Darling will get picked up and lands on his feet somewhere, perhaps Calgary?

A little surprised Zykov was also put on waivers.

It feels like Zyke peed in somebody's Cheerios. He is too good around the net on the PP to waive. Maybe he's got a dose of HWSNBN/Babs syndrome?

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It feels like Zyke peed in somebody's Cheerios. He is too good around the net on the PP to waive. Maybe he's got a dose of HWSNBN/Babs syndrome?

A little early for waivers on Zeke, don't get it. Does anyone think this was a committee decision?    

If you believe Rod"s interview, sending Zeke and Darling to Charlotte was to be fair to them and get them playing time so they are ready to draw in when needed. Or you can take the skeptical view, they aren't wanted by the powers that be....

1 hour ago, DevildogKodi said:

If you believe Rod"s interview, sending Zeke and Darling to Charlotte was to be fair to them and get them playing time so they are ready to draw in when needed. Or you can take the skeptical view, they aren't wanted by the powers that be....

The thing is that they WAIVED him. That means that any team in the NHL can claim him and have him. So to believe that it's just about having him ready assumes no one will claim him. Any time a team waives someone they are explicitly saying we're willing to let some other team have you. Just for claiming you. No trade, they can just have you.

Was reading another board and there were fans from at least 5 teams that wanted to jump on Zykov.  I'd be very surprised if he clears waivers. Unless there's some personal issue we aren't aware of (work ethic, attitude, etc) , only other thing I can think of is that given what we've seen so far this year, mgmt looked at where he likely ranks relative to our other prospects and figured they'd dump his contract now instead of taking the risk of his play not picking up and being stuck with him for the next year and 3/4.  I wonder if the play of the boys in Charlotte might have had some impact on the decision?

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Was reading another board and there were fans from at least 5 teams that wanted to jump on Zykov.  I'd be very surprised if he clears waivers. Unless there's some personal issue we aren't aware of (work ethic, attitude, etc) , only other thing I can think of is that given what we've seen so far this year, mgmt looked at where he likely ranks relative to our other prospects and figured they'd dump his contract now instead of taking the risk of his play not picking up and being stuck with him for the next year and 3/4.  I wonder if the play of the boys in Charlotte might have had some impact on the decision?

But his contract is trivial in NHL terms. Am I missing something?

26 minutes ago, remkin said:

But his contract is trivial in NHL terms. Am I missing something?

First off, I don't understand the move either, and that's why I'm speculating such a long shot.  Sure his contract is trivial in NHL terms, but not in AHL terms.  I'm just wondering if the powers that be analyzed his game and pegged his probability of success here as being low enough, especially in comparison to other rising prospects, that the cost/ benefit equation for his 2 year, 1-way contract came out negative.  I can understand possibly discounting the transfer of his AHL success to the NHL (didn't Chris Terry lead the league in scoring last year?).  On the other hand, he was very successful in his very brief stint at the end of last season (emphasis on very brief, though).   So just wondering if perhaps the thinking was "if we're not comfortable enough that he's going to make it here, let's move on instead of stringing it out".  Granted, 1/4 into the season is far from "stringing it out", but you get what I mean.  Hey, I'm reaching, trying to come up with something that makes sense.