The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

1 hour ago, remkin said:

The thing is that they WAIVED him. That means that any team in the NHL can claim him and have him. So to believe that it's just about having him ready assumes no one will claim him. Any time a team waives someone they are explicitly saying we're willing to let some other team have you. Just for claiming you. No trade, they can just have you.

yeah, for nothing... and again, the guy led the AHL in goals scored last year. And he's 23. 

58 minutes ago, remkin said:

But his contract is trivial in NHL terms. Am I missing something?

It only makes sense to me if a deal is pending. I wonder if we'll soon announce several long-term contracts... with a Nylander on top? Certainly would be the splash that this org has seemed incapable of for decades, and would come within the first year of TD's buying it.

Hey, a guy can dream.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:27 PM, legend-1 said:

I know we all want to see McE every game from here out but Rod's gonna have to take into the account his goalie's age I think. Twice over McE's last 2 games he's looked pained to get up, I think the next piece in the puzzle is getting Mrazek up to acceptable standards so McE can be at peak efficiency all year. 

So what's that rotation look like? Every back to back isn't going to cut it, I'm thinking Mrazek needs to draw in every 3-5 games regardless of situation.

If we get desperate and ride him like a rented mule I think we're gonna pay for it.

That last line sounds very familiar, doesn't it?  

I have always thought that Ward was ridden hard...mostly due to consistently anemic defenses over the years and a lack (no pun intended) of dependable backups.

Edited by mdover95
spelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Love him or indifferent:  

• Head coach Rod Brind’Amour has the best record through his first 24 games behind the bench in franchise history.

Rod Brind’Amour is the MAN!!!

I think we can all point to things he could do better, but i also think he 'gets it' and that he's trending in the right direction.  24 games into a head coaching career, he could certainly be doing worse.

I'm fine with Rod, despite my theorizing about his hair-trigger on non-defensive forwards. I wouldn't expect anything less of a Selke winner, but I do think if he'd get over himself for 20 seconds, he might realize that there's a place for a pure scorer on every line--specifically, as the #1 guy on the forecheck when he's not pouring pucks into opposing nets. 

12 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Was reading another board and there were fans from at least 5 teams that wanted to jump on Zykov.

FANS <not equal to> GM

Whilst we are not lighting things up like some other teams, somehow we are in a better position than we've been in at this time of year for quite a while, even without Skinner, Lindholm or Hanifin. We are true .500, which is perhaps not anything to write home about, but it's been a while since this team was legit middle of the pack this time of year. Our goal differential is -2, which is #9, but only 3 behind #8. 

Where we go from here is very hard to predict. On the one hand if we can settle goalie down, that is huge. On that same hand Svech seems to be coming on. On the other hand, the last two games have not looked good. I like to think that at some point things will start to click for guys like Foegele, and maybe even Rask, and we'll start to come on. 

Obviously this team could use a trade that bumps our forward danger skill. Nylander would bust it open, but that seems, unfortunately to be unlikely. Maybe someone else though. Big moves are hard to make, but this team right on the edge, could use a bump from a trade or two. 

If not, we'll need the aforementioned guys to step up. Also, I would not count out Necas coming back and having an impact. He is an impact player and seems to be doing well on the wing in Charlotte. 

57 minutes ago, remkin said:

Whilst we are not lighting things up like some other teams, somehow we are in a better position than we've been in at this time of year for quite a while, even without Skinner, Lindholm or Hanifin. We are true .500, which is perhaps not anything to write home about, but it's been a while since this team was legit middle of the pack this time of year. Our goal differential is -2, which is #9, but only 3 behind #8. 

Where we go from here is very hard to predict. On the one hand if we can settle goalie down, that is huge. On that same hand Svech seems to be coming on. On the other hand, the last two games have not looked good. I like to think that at some point things will start to click for guys like Foegele, and maybe even Rask, and we'll start to come on. 

Obviously this team could use a trade that bumps our forward danger skill. Nylander would bust it open, but that seems, unfortunately to be unlikely. Maybe someone else though. Big moves are hard to make, but this team right on the edge, could use a bump from a trade or two. 

If not, we'll need the aforementioned guys to step up. Also, I would not count out Necas coming back and having an impact. He is an impact player and seems to be doing well on the wing in Charlotte. 

I think the plan all along was to have Necas on Rasks line and the knife got in the way of that plan.

16 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Maniscalco tweeted Ferlands out with a concussion.

Habs nailed everyone as hard as they could most of the game. Makes me worry a little about Svech. He got leveled pretty good the last 3 or 4 games. 

6 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

Habs nailed everyone as hard as they could most of the game. Makes me worry a little about Svech. He got leveled pretty good the last 3 or 4 games. 

And I didn't see it, but was his due to a hit he laid, or was he hit by a Habs player?

30 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Maniscalco tweeted Ferlands out with a concussion.

Zykov could still go in the line up if not claimed...Pins & needles as it is noon!

14 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I think the plan all along was to have Necas on Rasks line and the knife got in the way of that plan

I think Necas was/is not ready to play in NHL even with Matthews and McDavid as his linemates.

3 minutes ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

Zykov claimed by the Oilers. Darling clears. 

Disappointing but I'm not surprised

Down a top 6 forward and a top 3 defensemen, congrats on being the winner of the goalie hunger games Mac......your prize is seeing more rubber than I-40 and being blamed for anything and everything henceforth. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I want to think about this. Explain yourself Luke.

One of the replies guesses Necas returns at wing, an interesting guess.