The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Just now, legend-1 said:

One of the replies guesses Necas returns at wing, an interesting guess.

I think that is the plan at some point.

Now it makes sense why Aho was playing the wing in practice  lately .  Staal moving on up to the top line while  Ferland  remains out with a concussion .    i hope he  gets well and  comes back soon  !   

To those complaining too much about losing Zeke, he passed through 11 teams that could have made a waiver claim to make it to the Oilers.  If the bottom dwellers didn't think he'd help them, I don't know how shocking it is that he was placed on waivers.  Waivers is the equivalent of being put on the curb with a "FREE" sign.  When it's still there the next day, it is garbage.  Looks like a few teams drove by Zeke without even slowing down, and nobody even made eye contact with Darling.

SD has a way of pointing out some obvious crap that means a lot and people overlook.

That was a lot of crappy teams to take a pass.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Disappointing knowing his skill was sitting in front of the net and scoring in close.  Yet we lack that and never gave him a fair shake at it.

11 points in 25 games wasn't chump change for a young kid,yet we keep PDG.Makes no sense.I wont be suprised when the kid develops his talents to succeed elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

To those complaining too much about losing Zeke, he passed through 11 teams that could have made a waiver claim to make it to the Oilers.  If the bottom dwellers didn't think he'd help them, I don't know how shocking it is that he was placed on waivers.  Waivers is the equivalent of being put on the curb with a "FREE" sign.  When it's still there the next day, it is garbage.  Looks like a few teams drove by Zeke without even slowing down, and nobody even made eye contact with Darling.

I get it but somehow I fail to see how PDG is a better player.

12 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

11 points in 25 games wasn't chump change for a young kid,yet we keep PDG.

Well to be fair, they did the same thing with PDG they did with Zykov, only all 30 other teams drove by without stopping to pick up PDG...

Edited by realmdrakkar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Well to be fair, they did the same thing with PDG they did with Zykov, only all 30 other teams drove by without stopping to pick up PDG...

Which is an accurate assessment of the two except we are stuck with the worst of the two players and Zeke has more upside that PDG.Zeke see's the net,PDG sees a thimble.

9 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

First I'm going to zip up my flak jacket. Ok.  PDG at this moment in time and in our system is a better fourth line player. He gives you what you want a 4th line player to bring. Watch him. He bangs along the boards, he harrases players and he brings energy almost every shift. Since he has returned we have started to win again and the 4th line has been noticeable.

Zykov is the better player. Z has a chance to be an impact scorer but Z isn't a 4th line player at least in our system. So where do you slot him on our team. At the moment you don't. I hoped we could sneak him by again. At the very least he was an asset to move. It didn't work out so we move on.

19 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I don't see anything more in PDG, but he is a free agent after this year and Z is signed through next year.  

• Like 1

I'm not going to get hung up on the Zykov decision but it sure adds to the growing list of ??? moves that have been made. 

Velluci seems as surprised as the rest of us from a question posed by the Athletic (no link because many don't have the subscription).

“I’m not sure where that’s going,” he told The Athletic. “He put up the most goals in the league last season. (What more they’re looking for out of him at the NHL level) is a better question for them.”

4 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I don't see anything more in PDG, but he is a free agent after this year and Z is signed through next year.  

Good point,but I thought I shed an albatross last year when PDGs contract was up and what do we do but extend him.

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Do you ever consider many of those teams may not have the roster space, or the need for a forward? Just because someone says no thanks doesn’t mean they didn’t even consider it or look at the possibility. Nor does it mean the teams saying no are valuing Zykov as garbage, as you eloquently put it. He was claimed and you still try to devalue him. Zykov is a promising prospect with offensive skill. And the fact he was claimed before halfway up the list shows he’s valued around the league and teams wanted him. If EDM didn’t claim him someone else would have. The dude deserved more of a shot here. He deserved to be coached and developed wherever he may have been lacking this year, instead of being bounced around leagues and tossed aside as if he hadn’t accomplished anything or was worth anything. I’m not saying we should have traded him, his value isn’t anywhere near worth trading. Yet his potential could have seen his value skyrocket if we were patient and manage our players better instead of trying to bury him in our system and claiming you want him fresh for IF you ever need him. There was no logic in how Zykov was handled this week. I can understand the conditioning stint to keep his rights and avoid waivers. But if the whole thing was going to end with him going on waivers regardless without even getting a single game post-conditioning stint in, what the heck was the point?

• Like 1

A goal starved team just let last year’s AHL leading goal scorer slip out the door for nothing. Unless there is another move coming before, say, noon on Saturday, this makes no sense. Why did we give him a two year one-way contract and then let him go without really giving him a chance to prove himself? As I understand it, if Edmonton waives him, we get him back. If he starts playing top 9 minutes there and has some success, that would be a continuation of a disturbing trend with players immediately after they leave our organization.

4 hours ago, SuckaPunchd said:

Do you ever consider many of those teams may not have the roster space, or the need for a forward? Just because someone says no thanks doesn’t mean they didn’t even consider it or look at the possibility. Nor does it mean the teams saying no are valuing Zykov as garbage, as you eloquently put it. He was claimed and you still try to devalue him. Zykov is a promising prospect with offensive skill. And the fact he was claimed before halfway up the list shows he’s valued around the league and teams wanted him. If EDM didn’t claim him someone else would have. The dude deserved more of a shot here. He deserved to be coached and developed wherever he may have been lacking this year, instead of being bounced around leagues and tossed aside as if he hadn’t accomplished anything or was worth anything. I’m not saying we should have traded him, his value isn’t anywhere near worth trading. Yet his potential could have seen his value skyrocket if we were patient and manage our players better instead of trying to bury him in our system and claiming you want him fresh for IF you ever need him. There was no logic in how Zykov was handled this week. I can understand the conditioning stint to keep his rights and avoid waivers. But if the whole thing was going to end with him going on waivers regardless without even getting a single game post-conditioning stint in, what the heck was the point?

Lighten up Francis.  I said garbage if the guy went through waivers and nobody took him.  

I do think its its interesting that there are people here pecking at a keyboard, while drinking beer and eating Cheetos that know more about player development than the NHl staff does.

10 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Lighten up Francis.  I said garbage if the guy went through waivers and nobody took him.  

I do think its its interesting that there are people here pecking at a keyboard, while drinking beer and eating Cheetos that know more about player development than the NHl staff does.

Welcome to the internet.

On another non-sports board I frequent, someone made a similar comment (beer and Cheetos keyboard peckers) about electric vehicles and self driving cars. 

Now, if only we could turn on the Self Driving Puck feature for our players on breakaways.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Welcome to the internet.

On another non-sports board I frequent, someone made a similar comment (beer and Cheetos keyboard peckers) about electric vehicles and self driving cars. 

Now, if only we could turn on the Self Driving Puck feature for our players on breakaways.

Yeah, but I never tire from pointing this fact out.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

One thing I don't believe has changed......this organization is just plain cheap and won't spend money.  Should be an interesting 8 hours or so.

Like I said, I will be utterly shocked if he is a Cane in the next 8 hours or so.

28 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Like I said, I will be utterly shocked if he is a Cane in the next 8 hours or so.

The real burn will be when Toronto trade Nylander to Edmonton for Zykov and a 4th.  Ba-dump-bump...