The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

The thing on Zykov and waivers is that teams have to play him. They can't send him down. The other thing is that he has not produced for us this year, and we scratched him, sent him down, and waived him. So other teams are seeing the potential that apparently we don't or have some other issue with him. Apparently at least 5 NHL teams. Again, this is for an unproven guy who has struggled this year. I'd argue that 5 teams willing to take him that have to play him is a lot. Most guys of his experience clear. 

I don't see how it can be about .6 million/year. Yes, I'd take that direct deposited into my bank account, but it is less than 1% of a near $80 million cap. We always could have waived him later, and if no one took him send him down. We have a guy in Charlotte making about 7X that right now. Now that's a salary problem.

Over his first two seasons he played 12 games and put up 4 goals and 8 points (25 goal/55 point pace). He went to the net and looked dangerous. He also way upped this dominating in the AHL. This year he got 13 games and struggled. Guess who else has had periods of offensive struggles this year? Foegele, PDG, McGinn, Necas. Wallmark has one goal in 25 games. Justin Williams is on a 13 goal pace. 13 lousy games. 

For whatever reason, we just didn't like what we saw. Maybe we want to bring Necas back up, maybe we thought he'd clear, maybe we have a trade in the works. Maybe Zykov never really develops into much, but maybe he does. At least we got Pu for Skinner. Most likely this is not a massive mistake, but it's just IMO that there was little risk in throwing him out there one more time. 

I can't think of another organization that would unload the top AHL scorer without giving him a fair shake in the NHL. Something wasn't fitting from an organizational standpoint. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

One thing I don't believe has changed......this organization is just plain cheap and won't spend money.  Should be an interesting 8 hours or so.

The puzzling thing to me this year is our version of where's Waldo? Dundon has been very quiet since the GM/Coaching decisions and hasn't weighed in on the state of the team or organization. He was all hyped up last year and very vocal about his plans.This year.....nothing. I haven't seen any changes in the arena that greatly increase the fan experience nor any great change on the product of the team that is being displayed on a game by game basis. Tom, are you here or are your other business interest getting more attention?

On 11/29/2018 at 9:53 PM, LakeLivin said:

Was reading another board and there were fans from at least 5 teams that wanted to jump on Zykov.  I'd be very surprised if he clears waivers. . . .

On 11/30/2018 at 10:46 AM, wxray1 said:

FANS <not equal to> GM

True, but hardcore fans are often pretty dialed in to a teams needs.  While there are no guarantees, they can provide clues as to what a GM might do.  It's funny that I'm reading reports today (unsubstantiated and perhaps not worth the paper that they're printed on) that there were as many as 5 teams that were interested in Zykov.  It would be cool if they reported the teams that put in a claim, but I can see why the league wouldn't want to do that.

I put it at the end of a longish post in the GDT. But to me the bottom line of concern for this year is this: 

We have continued to fail to convert our depth at D into even one legit top 6 forward. This is the biggest problem for this year, as guys like Necas, Foegele, even Svech are still rookies. Even next year these guys will be much better. But this year they need help. We are offensively anemic and not dangerous. 

Goals for per game played: #28: Carolina Hurricanes. 

Maybe we're holding out until Nylander is settled, then we make a move. Maybe we just keep waiting. Like we did under Francis. And our historical offensive woes are even worse since we have faced so many back ups, and even worse in today's offensively minded NHL. Two goals would have won last night. We mustered one.

And on a side note. I don't mind watching a one goal game on TV. But when I pay money and drag myself and others to the arena, I don't want to see it. There are exciting one goal games, but I can't remember many. Having the #28 offense is not only not a way to win, but it is BORING. I've been to at least 3 of these clunkers this year, and they have not been interesting pitching duels. 

We have a bunch of good prospects. We have D men teams want. And it's been that way for a while. And so we wait. 

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Maybe we're holding out until Nylander is settled, then we make a move. Maybe we just keep waiting. Like we did under Francis. 

We have a bunch of good prospects. We have D men teams want. And it's been that way for a while. And so we wait. 

The injuries to Fleury and Pesce probably didn't help. Right when Pesce's name was in the rumor mill, he's hurt. Hard to trade away your depth at the exact moment you need it to field a lineup. 

That being said, Nylander seems to have always been a long shot, so hopefully they're talking about someone else from other teams if/when the Nylander saga doesn't break our way. 

3 minutes ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

hopefully they're talking about someone else from other teams if/when the Nylander saga doesn't break our way. 

I keep thinking we can pick the Ottawa carcass. I don't know what it would take, but Mark Stone is constantly rumored to be disenchanted with Ottawa (who wouldn't be), and is a UFA next year. He's 26 and a beast.

He would not be cheap in what we'd have to pay him, but this is where maybe an overpay to him and Ottawa would bring us the piece we need. Not only is this a 60 point/year guy, but he is plus 53 for his career including only one minus year (-4) on some pretty bad Ottawa teams. I'm pretty sure that the advanced stats (the really advanced ones) would bear out that this is a seriously two way guy.

Funny I was thinking Justin Faulk for a trade and sign deal, went over to the Sens site and saw this and for a half of a second I wondered. 

16 minutes ago, remkin said:

We have continued to fail to convert our depth at D into even one legit top 6 forward.

16 minutes ago, remkin said:

We have D men teams want.

It might just be that we don't have D men teams want, and that's why we have continued to fail to convert them.

Just now, realmdrakkar said:

It might just be that we don't have D men teams want, and that's why we have continued to fail to convert them.

Or they want them, but we're overvaluing them. But you could be right too.

The thing about the "draft D men" and trade for O, is that D men historically take so long to develop. That and that people want offensive D men, and our forte is defensive D men.

I wonder if Jordan Staal will ever score another goal?  We only pay him 6mil a year but hey he is automatically excused from producing because he is good defensively right?  

Soooo sick of the goal scoring slumps from every player that plays in this organization. Even Aho can't put it in the net this year. If he is the best we got for goal production than we are in bigger trouble than we think.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

The injuries to Fleury and Pesce probably didn't help. Right when Pesce's name was in the rumor mill, he's hurt. Hard to trade away your depth at the exact moment you need it to field a lineup. 

That being said, Nylander seems to have always been a long shot, so hopefully they're talking about someone else from other teams if/when the Nylander saga doesn't break our way. 

Fleury and Pesce have been cleared so  that excuse is gone.

Edited by slapshot02

49 minutes ago, remkin said:

The thing on Zykov and waivers is that teams have to play him. They can't send him down. The other thing is that he has not produced for us this year, and we scratched him, sent him down, and waived him. So other teams are seeing the potential that apparently we don't or have some other issue with him. Apparently at least 5 NHL teams. Again, this is for an unproven guy who has struggled this year. I'd argue that 5 teams willing to take him that have to play him is a lot. Most guys of his experience clear. 

I don't see how it can be about .6 million/year. Yes, I'd take that direct deposited into my bank account, but it is less than 1% of a near $80 million cap. We always could have waived him later, and if no one took him send him down. We have a guy in Charlotte making about 7X that right now. Now that's a salary problem.

Over his first two seasons he played 12 games and put up 4 goals and 8 points (25 goal/55 point pace). He went to the net and looked dangerous. He also way upped this dominating in the AHL. This year he got 13 games and struggled. Guess who else has had periods of offensive struggles this year? Foegele, PDG, McGinn, Necas. Wallmark has one goal in 25 games. Justin Williams is on a 13 goal pace. 13 lousy games. 

For whatever reason, we just didn't like what we saw. Maybe we want to bring Necas back up, maybe we thought he'd clear, maybe we have a trade in the works. Maybe Zykov never really develops into much, but maybe he does. At least we got Pu for Skinner. Most likely this is not a massive mistake, but it's just IMO that there was little risk in throwing him out there one more time. 

Maybe our owner and his “committee” don’t know what they are doing. 

I have to believe that Brind'amour is actually a very good coach to have this team of  No names and Ahl'ers actually in the mix.  We are so light on offense it's ridiculous. One of my least favorite line ups we have ever had and I've watched every game since we became a team.  sorry to be so negative, I just look at our stats and I can't believe our GM or owner expected us to be good this year and made no big moves to bring in offense(just unloaded the little we had).   arrrrgggghhhh!  Same crap every friggin year and nobody does anything about it. 

6 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Maybe our owner and his “committee” don’t know what they are doing. 

I guess we'll have to see what else transpires. I am partly defending my opinion, which may make this seem bigger to me than it is. I don't think this is a massive mistake. Just seems like an unforced error. Of course I don't know what else might be behind this. But then I almost never do, so have to opine based on what we have.

If the committee find us a Nylander or Stone or someone like that soon, then Zykov will be a distant memory. But if he goes and starts putting pucks in the net in Edmonton it will be tough not to wonder about this move.

As negative as I'm feeling about our horrible offense, I go look at the stats and there we are in 3rd place in the metro and 6th in conference.  Wow. If only 2 forwards could get hot and start scoring consistently we might have a chance to stay in 3rd and pull it off this year. 

In addition to whatever factors were in play around Zykov, I'm wondering if the decision to waive him might have possibly been influenced by some fallout from the Darling saga.  I.e., if perhaps the committee had a gut feeling that Darling wasn't actually going to make it a while ago, but decided to give it one more shot.  And subsequently realized that we'd have been better off just biting the bullet and making alternate plans earlier.  So if the committee now has a gut feeling that Zykov's game probably isn't going to transfer to Canes success, TD said "screw it, let's move on".

Not saying it's likely, I'm just flinging stuff at the wall at this point. 

Edited by LakeLivin

4 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

As negative as I'm feeling about our horrible offense, I go look at the stats and there we are in 3rd place in the metro and 6th in conference.  Wow. If only 2 forwards could get hot and start scoring consistently we might have a chance to stay in 3rd and pull it off this year. 

This is fairly amazing. I will say that last night we mostly locked the Ducks down. Also, the committee has so far failed to get us a forward, but they did claim McE, and waive Darling, and McE instead of Darling is why we're where we are.

But I look at our situation and just think if we could somehow pick up the difference-maker up front we'd surge, and if we don't and guys keep struggling we'll fall out. Of course guys could start putting things together, but that hasn't worked out to date.

I'd unload both barrels for Nylander. I think Toronto signs him and possibly trades him this summer, but we need him now. I don't want to propose a trade since that just riles people up, but I'd let them pick a non Slavin D man, then add prospects (not Necas) and picks if it could get it done. Make it worth their while not to wait. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

In addition to whatever factors were in play around Zykov, I'm wondering if the decision to waive him might have possibly been influenced by some fallout from the Darling saga.  I.e., if perhaps the committee had a gut feeling that Darling wasn't actually going to make it a while ago, but decided to give it one more shot.  And subsequently realized that we'd have been better off just biting the bullet and making alternate plans earlier.  So if the committee now has a gut feeling that Zykov's game probably isn't going to transfer to Canes success, TD said "screw it, let's move on".

Not saying it's likely, I'm just flinging stuff at the wall at this point. 

My thoughts exactly, gun shy.Although his salary didnt dictate a quick decision.

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

My thoughts exactly, gun shy.Although his salary didnt dictate a quick decision.

If there is anything to it, I'd think that it's more around fitting others into place sooner rather than Zykov's salary.

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

If there is anything to it, I'd think that it's more around fitting others into place sooner rather than Zykov's salary.

Yeah I get that perspective but going into a complete opposite 

Direction of Darling and a rush to judgement is not a good thing either. Give the guy another month or two. He could of helped with Ferland out and from my eyes last night we didnt have enough net front presence.

7 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Direction of Darling and a rush to judgement is not a good thing either. Give the guy another month or two. He could of helped with Ferland out and from my eyes last night we didnt have enough net front presence.

Agreed.  Overreaction can be as counterproductive as inaction.

1 minute ago, cclifford10 said:

Aho  looked much more dangerous on the wing.  We just need a center to play with him.  For now, I would leave TSA together.

I believe Aho is more dangerous on the wing but without any legit centers he needs to be in the middle. Get a legit center then move him back to the wing.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I still think he peed in someone's Corn Flakes. Which <pats self on back> is actually a bit of a re-think. Originally I thought it was someone's Cheerios.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, remkin said:

And on a side note. I don't mind watching a one goal game on TV. But when I pay money and drag myself and others to the arena, I don't want to see it. There are exciting one goal games, but I can't remember many. Having the #28 offense is not only not a way to win, but it is BORING. I've been to at least 3 of these clunkers this year, and they have not been interesting pitching duels.

The last 12 minutes or so of the game were exciting!  For the other team's fans, that is.