Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

 

Lighten up Francis.  I said garbage if the guy went through waivers and nobody took him.  

 

I do think its its interesting that there are people here pecking at a keyboard, while drinking beer and eating Cheetos that know more about player development than the NHl staff does.

Isn’t the entire point of this forum to share our opinions? I’ve never claimed to know more than NHL staff. Plus, five other teams put bids on claiming Zykov, further suggesting he’s got something to show at the NHL level and that our staff gave up on him too quickly. I just simply am bothered by the fact PDG has nine lives here, yet Zykov who has a much higher cieling and is just getting his first real shot at the NHL was waived over him. PDG cleared waivers, if we want to play zykov and not give him up for nothing, play him in PDGs spot and send PDG down. The whole “we want him to play” reasoning of sending him down doesn’t add up to me. There were other options which would have kept Zykov here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, earlier in the season they mentioned multiple times how Svechnikov really enjoyed having a fellow Russian to help explain the system and to talk to. Wonder how Svechnikov feels about how he was handled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it odd how many comments imply/infer the team wanted to get rid of Zykov for whatever reason. It is more likely that they assumed he would clear waivers as most players do, instead he was claimed. I am sure Toronto isn't to happy about McE ending up here, but he wasn't part of their immediate plans so YEAH US! 

Now as to the timing of the move, that seems pretty boneheaded with Ferland being diagnosed with a concussion. I understand the team valuing PDG more for the shutdown role he is filling, not saying I agree, but Zykov is a better candidate to fill Ferland's O role and I am therefore confused about the timing.

 

edit: Can we please stop implying some nefarious plot when thoughtlessness, stupidity, or lack of skill suffice as explanations?

Edited by DevildogKodi
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who hate the evil empire, blackhawks are being humiliated in trashville, Ward gave up three in the first five minutes, now a ‘’fight’’ has left them short handed for 7 minutes, including 2 men short for a full 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We like our team is the name of the game ladies and gentlemen.  Truth be told, I feel we are in a better spot (standings wise) than I thought we would be.  I'm not sure what is going to happen going forward. 

 

A few things to consider, Calgary and Bruind fans state that Dougie will get his points.  I am hoping he turns it on going forward.   I'm not sure if goaltending will hold up.  I think in the end low scoring/lack of finishers and hoping to win 2-1 games on a nightly basis will cost us.  The D is going to need to score more goals.   

Edited by bluedevil58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

We like our team is the name of the game ladies and gentlemen.  Truth be told, I feel we are in a better spot (standings wise) than I thought we would be.  I'm not sure what is going to happen going forward. 

 

A few things to consider, Calgary and Bruind fans state that Dougie will get his points.  I am hoping he turns it on going forward.   I'm not sure if goaltending will hold up.  I think in the end low scoring/lack of finishers and hoping to win 2-1 games on a nightly basis will cost us.  The D is going to need to score more goals.   

Damn DB, that’s about the most positive/least negative post as I have seen from you

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

I find it odd how many comments imply/infer the team wanted to get rid of Zykov for whatever reason. It is more likely that they assumed he would clear waivers as most players do, instead he was claimed. I am sure Toronto isn't to happy about McE ending up here, but he wasn't part of their immediate plans so YEAH US! 

Now as to the timing of the move, that seems pretty boneheaded with Ferland being diagnosed with a concussion. I understand the team valuing PDG more for the shutdown role he is filling, not saying I agree, but Zykov is a better candidate to fill Ferland's O role and I am therefore confused about the timing.

 

edit: Can we please stop implying some nefarious plot when thoughtlessness, stupidity, or lack of skill suffice as explanations?

If the committee thought he'd breeze through, then we have a lot of problems.  They had to know it was high risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brind’Amour’s doing a decent job like Peters did before him with what he’s got to work with. But Canes personnel mis-management is glaring on yet another goal starved team and (for once) a season still in the balance.  They literally gave Skinner away because he couldn’t score consistently with a revolving door of second rate centers and wingers he was told to play with. That and he was considered lazy defensively and had attitude. Buffalo puts him with a number 1 center and presto his game is all star caliber both ways and his attitude is up because he’s been put in a situation where he can succeed. It’s Canes management that continues to fail this team. 

 

1A00C311-3888-421D-BC44-5A17F43DC46D.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

If the committee thought he'd breeze through, then we have a lot of problems.  They had to know it was high risk.

I don't disagree that it was a boneheaded move and they should have realized how likely it was for him to get claimed. My point was that being the more likely answer than some scheme the brain trust concocted to get rid of a player and contract that wasn't wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a lot more issue with giving Skinner away for a Double Deuce (Pu and a 2).  Gave up a legit scorer for no immediate help.  Zeke was making sandwiches in the presser.  Waiving him does seem like an el cheapo move, but not nearly in the Skinner mold of el cheapo. Moving Skinner saved $6M this year that was not otherwise used to improve the team.  I keep waiting for Dundon to prove my idea wrong that he's not cheap, just smart with money.  This doesn't look smart, but does smell cheap.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I have a lot more issue with giving Skinner away for a Double Deuce (Pu and a 2).  Gave up a legit scorer for no immediate help.  Zeke was making sandwiches in the presser.  Waiving him does seem like an el cheapo move, but not nearly in the Skinner mold of el cheapo. Moving Skinner saved $6M this year that was not otherwise used to improve the team.  I keep waiting for Dundon to prove my idea wrong that he's not cheap, just smart with money.  This doesn't look smart, but does smell cheap.

 

He bought this team.  So he clearly isn't cheap.  Remember that argument?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

It is more likely that they assumed he would clear waivers as most players do,

If they did, they're even dumber than I thought. Five teams have reportedly claimed him. He led the AHL last year in goals scored, DDK.

 

I don't think there's anything nefarious going on at all. I think it is more than obvious that TD has told RB to let him know whenever he doesn't think a guy is going to make the team long term, and TD will deal with it in whatever way he believes makes the most fiscal--not, unfortunately, talent-based--sense. Rod has made very clear that he has no love for forwards who don't play D, and the last two (utterly inexplicable) ousters were--shazam!--forwards Rod has slammed for not playing D. 

 

Call it a conspiracy theory or accusing the Brain Trust of a nefarious plot if you like, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and swims like a duck and flies like a duck... it ain't a damned ostrich. No matter how much we put our heads in the sand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

Brind’Amour’s doing a decent job like Peters did before him with what he’s got to work with. But Canes personnel mis-management is glaring on yet another goal starved team and (for once) a season still in the balance.  They literally gave Skinner away because he couldn’t score consistently with a revolving door of second rate centers and wingers he was told to play with. That and he was considered lazy defensively and had attitude. Buffalo puts him with a number 1 center and presto his game is all star caliber both ways and his attitude is up because he’s been put in a situation where he can succeed. It’s Canes management that continues to fail this team. 

 

1A00C311-3888-421D-BC44-5A17F43DC46D.jpeg

x 2,000

 

TD is letting the patients run the asylum. If he'd done this at Santander, he couldn't afford a fantasy team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

 

 

 

Call it a conspiracy theory or accusing the Brain Trust of a nefarious plot if you like, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and swims like a duck and flies like a duck... it ain't a damned ostrich. No matter how much we put our heads in the sand.

On top of that, the Ducks beat the Canes!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need people who can score. Goaltending and defense are largely present and accounted for. Other than those on IR at the current moment, nobody should feel safe. I’m not impressed with anyone on offense. I think most of us on this board could sling and fumble the puck around in the OZ just as (in)effectively as these guys.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2018 at 4:39 PM, SuckaPunchd said:

Isn’t the entire point of this forum to share our opinions? I’ve never claimed to know more than NHL staff. Plus, five other teams put bids on claiming Zykov, further suggesting he’s got something to show at the NHL level and that our staff gave up on him too quickly. I just simply am bothered by the fact PDG has nine lives here, yet Zykov who has a much higher cieling and is just getting his first real shot at the NHL was waived over him. PDG cleared waivers, if we want to play zykov and not give him up for nothing, play him in PDGs spot and send PDG down. The whole “we want him to play” reasoning of sending him down doesn’t add up to me. There were other options which would have kept Zykov here.

Plus... what NHL staff??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brutal article by Cody Hagan on Canes Country, and unfortunately, he is spot on. I didn’t watch the game last night. Only just learned we gave up the game winning goal with 2 minutes to go and Lucas Wallmark taking a defensive zone draw. I hope Jordan Staal had just finished a long shift and we had already used our timeout. 2 games. 1 goal total. Goal that led to loss scored in last 3 1/2 minutes of both games. Meet the new team. Same as the old team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't hurt

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Brutal article by Cody Hagan on Canes Country, and unfortunately, he is spot on. I didn’t watch the game last night. Only just learned we gave up the game winning goal with 2 minutes to go and Lucas Wallmark taking a defensive zone draw. I hope Jordan Staal had just finished a long shift and we had already used our timeout. 2 games. 1 goal total. Goal that led to loss scored in last 3 1/2 minutes of both games. Meet the new team. Same as the old team. 

The Kings goal had two factors:

1. Wallmark lost the draw

2. McGinn lost his man (Alec Martinez) who pinched and deflected the puck in.  McGinn broke his stick over the goal when it happened as he knew he blew it.  Too bad because until that point, he was our best player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Along with a privately financed 800 million renovation of the rink they’ll be playing out if they are also breaking ground on a new 75 million 3 sheet practice facility. You guys are closer to the teams pulse. Why hasn’t TD moved on something like that? Too cheap?  RecZone last time I saw it couple years back wasn’t fit for PeeWee hockey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...