The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

6 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Along with a privately financed 800 million renovation of the rink they’ll be playing out if they are also breaking ground on a new 75 million 3 sheet practice facility. You guys are closer to the teams pulse. Why hasn’t TD moved on something like that? Too cheap?  RecZone last time I saw it couple years back wasn’t fit for PeeWee hockey. 

Its my understanding that money will only be spent if it makes the team better.... 🤯

Well, communications from TD have gone dark, as discussed in other threads.  The hope was to hitch onto the effort going on in Morrisville.  The following news article said an announcement was expected in September.  No announcement.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/morrisville-readies-multi-sport-complex-for-pro-national-events/17769218/

Edited by wxray1

1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

Along with a privately financed 800 million renovation of the rink they’ll be playing out if they are also breaking ground on a new 75 million 3 sheet practice facility. You guys are closer to the teams pulse. Why hasn’t TD moved on something like that? Too cheap?  RecZone last time I saw it couple years back wasn’t fit for PeeWee hockey. 

While it's not owned by the Canes, a new state of the art practice facility in Morrisville is in the works.  Pretty sure I read that the Canes were collaborating on the project to make sure it fits their needs.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article216609440.html

Edited by LakeLivin

As wxray1 mentions above, and my building concern, is that communications with TD have "gone dark". Why is that when he was soooo very front and center early on? Making games. hobnobbing with the masses, bringing his kids into the picture were to me refreshing signals that this newly adopted "hobby" had a vital role in his life. What changed? Has, as they say in Sampson county, he had abait of losing? If so, join the entire fandom, and unlike us, he's got the means to make a change. Now, I know, I know, there must be willing partners to make a trade, but for gosh sakes show us that he's still got a pulse, and more importantly, HE FEELS OUR PAIN? Rant over.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

As wxray1 mentions above, and my building concern, is that communications with TD have "gone dark". Why is that when he was soooo very front and center early on? Making games. hobnobbing with the masses, bringing his kids into the picture were to me refreshing signals that this newly adopted "hobby" had a vital role in his life. What changed? Has, as they say in Sampson county, he had abait of losing? If so, join the entire fandom, and unlike us, he's got the means to make a change. Now, I know, I know, there must be willing partners to make a trade, but for gosh sakes show us that he's still got a pulse, and more importantly, HE FEELS OUR PAIN? Rant over.

He can't blame previous management anymore. This is his circus, his monkeys and his fault.

• Like 4

TD has come out of the dark!  And he's talking about that outdoor game at Carter Finley.

Maybe TD was busy working on the outdoor game?  Well, that's fine, sounds fun, but we need more to look forward to than this.  We need a few goals at the currently approved indoor games.  :)  I'd also warn that he promised scoreboards, better food and fan experience (solved with a few "move to the lower bowl" games?), and money ponied up to fill player holes.  So still talk for now, but at least he's engaged somewhere.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/reality-of-outdoor-hockey-coming-into-focus/18041188/

It’s no secret that Hurricanes majority owner Tom Dundon has been pushing for an outdoor hockey game. He made that fact known to the entire world at his introductory press conference last January. And, while he’s not backed off of that desire, there were many who felt that something of this magnitude was more fantasy than reality.

Apparently, a lot of people underestimated Dundon's persistence.

“We’re far along”, Dundon said, of discussions with the league as to when the game could take place. “Now, it’s important to understand that it’s NC State’s stadium and we’re very sensitive to that fact, but this has potential to be a great showcase for all parties as well as the city of Raleigh.”

Edited by wxray1

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

TD has come out of the dark!  And he's talking about that outdoor game at Carter Finley.

It's what he's not talking about that's the problem: No scoring, stupid player moves, no scoring, no spending, no scoring, still no contracts to Aho or TT, and... yeah, that scoring thing.

The biggest thing that worries me is that Aho came out on fire, probably because he was trying to justify his agent's ask. It feels like TD waited it out, knowing he'd cool off, to justify what (if his pattern and prior comments are any indication) is his ridiculously lowball counteroffer. And here we are.

Pfffft.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It's what he's not talking about that's the problem: No scoring, stupid player moves, no scoring, no spending, no scoring, still no contracts to Aho or TT, and... yeah, that scoring thing.

The biggest thing that worries me is that Aho came out on fire, probably because he was trying to justify his agent's ask. It feels like TD waited it out, knowing he'd cool off, to justify what (if his pattern and prior comments are any indication) is his ridiculously lowball counteroffer. And here we are.

Pfffft.

It sounds like you have had it with TD.  At this point, I am numb from 10 straight years of losing.  Been a fan since they first played in Greensboro and went to the games.  Now my interest is fading fast which is probably the case for a lot of old Canes fans right now.

Edited by bluedevil58

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

It sounds like you have had it with TD.  At this point, I am numb from 10 straight years of losing.  Been a fan since they first played in Greensboro and went to the games.  Now my interest is fading fast which is probably the case for a lot of old Canes fans right now.

If I'd had it I wouldn't still be here. What's your excuse, Eeyore?

10 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

If I'd had it I wouldn't still be here. What's your excuse, Eeyore?

At this point, I am just watching the train wreck unfold.  I have a feeling we are about to watch this team spiral into the bottom abyss unless something changes,

I'll put it down once again, but in atypically brief form. It is easy to see a very good team just over the horizon as Necas becomes super dynamic, Svech becomes elite and Aho/TT keep things rolling (and hopefully a move is eventually made to pick up one more blue chip forward). But it is very hard to see this year's team getting there without an additional scoring forward. 

Again, Waddell seems to know this, as he is working the phones, but so far he has had no more success in that regard than the guy he replaced. It's a tough move to make, but it is doable. Time to do it.

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Maybe TD was busy working on the outdoor game?  Well, that's fine, sounds fun, but we need more to look forward to than this.  We need a few goals at the currently approved indoor games.  :)  I'd also warn that he promised scoreboards, better food and fan experience (solved with a few "move to the lower bowl" games?), and money ponied up to fill player holes.  So still talk for now, but at least he's engaged somewhere.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/reality-of-outdoor-hockey-coming-into-focus/18041188/

In all fairness, TD pushed hard to have a new scoreboard in place for this season but it's the  Centennial Authority that has the final say and they pushed it back to next. Tthe players got a major facilities renovation, although that's behind the scenes and therefore not visible to us fans.  And a modern  practice facility is in the works, even if it won't be owned by the Canes..

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm holding off judgement on investing in players until this upcoming offseason given what was available last summer.

Sorry to hear that those of you fortunate enough to attend games in person haven't found it to be an improved experience (I haven't been so far this year). That is one area where it seems inexcusable not to have made improvements. 

But as far as improved fan experience, I"m guessing that winning will go further to make that happen than anything else they might do?  Seems like we might have found an acceptable patch to our goalie situation. Bringing in scoring help is also critical.  I know the committee has been looking.  Hopefully they've been held up by the Nylander debacle rather than the only available deals available at this point in the season requiring the Canes to bend over and grab their ankles.  

TLDNR summary:  I'm frustrated at where we are, but not ready to write off the franchise and still hopeful that TD can turn things around. 

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I'll put it down once again, but in atypically brief form. It is easy to see a very good team just over the horizon as Necas becomes super dynamic, Svech becomes elite and Aho/TT keep things rolling (and hopefully a move is eventually made to pick up one more blue chip forward). But it is very hard to see this year's team getting there without an additional scoring forward. 

Again, Waddell seems to know this, as he is working the phones, but so far he has had no more success in that regard than the guy he replaced. It's a tough move to make, but it is doable. Time to do it.

Just over the horizon has been discussed for 10 years. I'm tired of waiting for the "possible future". Necas...super dynamic is hopeful wishing. The time to act is beyond late to acquire proven talent and to stop praying that draft picks and internal development is going to get the job done. Acquire the proven veteran talent while developing internally. Ownership and GMs always have an excuse for not acquiring the talent are are not accountable. Parking/concession stands are out of control and the fan base keeps supporting this failed product.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

TLDNR summary:  I'm frustrated at where we are, but not ready to write off the franchise and still hopeful that TD can turn things around. 

I am as well.  And I can tell you first hand the fan experience has gotten worse, not better.  Have to somewhat agree with DB58 though, it's becoming harder and harder to watch the team flounder yet again because we don't have enough talent to consistently finish the chances that are created (at least we ARE creating scoring chances).

I also agree with you that the proof may not come until next year that TD isn't a tight-wad, but we can only go by what is happening now.  On the ice, there is not much improvement in results through 26 games.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Just over the horizon has been discussed for 10 years. I'm tired of waiting for the "possible future". Necas...super dynamic is hopeful wishing. The time to act is beyond late to acquire proven talent and to stop praying that draft picks and internal development is going to get the job done.

I want to be very clear that this is NOT about me being right, but about a fan - and more important, players themselves - seeing what the Canes' (supposedly) "seasoned hockey people" refused to see, regarding Necas. At this year's Worlds, those playing with him said he can a very dynamic player, but needs to put on more pounds and play a heavier game to be NHL-ready.

All summer, I pointed out that being named MVP in a Czech league is meaningless. His numbers were good, but not dominant by any standard--and I'll add here that the Czech system had a vested interest (specifically, burnishing its bush-league reputation) in putting Necas forth as its greatest prospect in years. HE WAS, that is not in dispute. But being the greatest prospect in years coming out of a middling (at best) European league equates to being a mid-grade prospect coming out of a good one. 

None of this is to impugn the hard work Necas is doing and has already done, let alone his clear talent. He may well have the tools to be great. But when your management team is hanging its hat on a kid from that league being a savior, right out of the gate, in the NHL, something is very wrong with its ability to objectively assess talent.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Anyone else nervous about Ferland's concussion?  He's had at least one other serious one in the past.  Hope it doesn't become an issue during the rest of the season, especially given his style of play.

5 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I want to be very clear that this is NOT about me being right, but about a fan - and more important, players themselves - seeing what the Canes (supposedly) "seasoned hockey people" refused to see regarding Necas. At this year's Worlds, those playing with him said he can a very dynamic player, but needs to put on more pounds and play a heavier game to be NHL-ready.

All summer, I pointed out that being named MVP in a Czech league is meaningless. His numbers were good, but not dominant by any standard--and I'll add here that the Czech system had a vested interest (specifically, burnishing its bush-league reputation) in putting Necas forth as its greatest prospect in years. HE WAS, that is not in dispute. But being he greatest prospect in years coming out of a middling (at best) European league is kind of like being a mid-grade prospect coming out of a good one. 

None of this is to impugn the hard work Necas is doing and has already done. He may well have the tools to be great. But when your management team is hanging its hat on a kid from that league being a savior in the NHL, something is very wrong with its ability to objectively assess talent.  

I want Necas to be very good and many of the "experts" feel he has great skills.He does need more weight and more experience. Yes his previous numbers are not great but many predict his skills will carry him forward.Without more size and experience right now he is very Tolchinskyesque. The problem is that the organization keeps playing the waiting game and hoping development some how accelerates while salaries remain low. The organization gave up offensive talent,brought back less talent and prayed that Svech and Necas caught lightning in a bottle.Foolish to hang your hat on 18 19 year old kids who haven't seen NHL ice.I found it laughable on predictions of their offensive production while one sits in the AHL.TD needs to step up and take a swing for proven talent that can make the team better TODAY,Not for someday in the future.We have had future players for 10 years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I am as well.  And I can tell you first hand the fan experience has gotten worse, not better.  Have to somewhat agree with DB58 though, it's becoming harder and harder to watch the team flounder yet again because we don't have enough talent to consistently finish the chances that are created (at least we ARE creating scoring chances).

I also agree with you that the proof may not come until next year that TD isn't a tight-wad, but we can only go by what is happening now.  On the ice, there is not much improvement in results through 26 games.

We're going to know precisely where we stand with Forslund I think, TT and Aho might have some tough contracts to iron out that run longer than Forslund's negotiations. But if good money for good people is true, Forslund should still be here.

7 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Anyone else nervous about Ferland's concussion?  He's had at least one other serious one in the past.  Hope it doesn't become an issue during the rest of the season, especially given his style of play.

I'm not. I think he'll blow right by it and keep playing like he plays. 

4 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

We're going to know precisely where we stand with Forslund I think, TT and Aho might have some tough contracts to iron out that run longer than Forslund's negotiations. But if good money for good people is true, Forslund should still be here.

I am so happy right now. Earlier in the season I was calling Ferland "Forslund" too. 

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I am so happy right now. Earlier in the season I was calling Ferland "Forslund" too. 

But I meant Forslund? His contract is up this year I'm pretty sure and if TD's a cheapwad I see Forslund walking.

Ferland should be an easy signing, he's decent but not cram money down his throat amazing either.

Just now, legend-1 said:

But I meant Forslund? His contract is up this year I'm pretty sure and if TD's a cheapwad I see Forslund walking.

Ferland should be an easy signing, he's decent but not cram money down his throat amazing either.

now I feel bad again. Thanks A LOT legend.:lol:

• Like 1